PDA

View Full Version : The Official Doctor Who Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

Dave-ros
07-16-2007, 11:49 AM
I think you mean The Invasion of Time -- it was the first time he'd broken the fourth wall since he was William Hartnell ("And a Merry Christmas to you at home")! :o

Joe Siegler
07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't think it was deliberate like Hartnell's Christmas thing. I think it was just a random look in the audience's direction. I got the impression from the quote he was more "looking away" from the rest of the scene, as opposed to a direct pandering to the audience.

supermeerkat
07-16-2007, 03:09 PM
I found the following image whilst perusing superdickery.com. It was followed by the caption "David Tennant makes everything better". It was posted as an apology following a lengthy arguement.

:D

supermeerkat
07-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Just ordered "The hand of evil" and "Doctor Who: The Beginnings" today. I can't wait for them to arrive.

The only problem is that if I want to watch them in the living room on the big widescreen TV, I have to get up early on weekends. Mrs Supermeerkat watches all the soap operas, Big Brother etc, so I rarely get to watch stuff I like and she doesn't. Does anyone else have this problem?

Dave-ros
07-17-2007, 04:01 PM
No :hhg:

You should tell her to get the hell back in the kitchen and make you a poofy pie, God dammit!!!

In any case, what need to watch it in widescreen? It's all in 4:3, and probably looks better on a smaller screen... it's not exactly Lord of the Rings in HD :p

supermeerkat
07-17-2007, 04:43 PM
That's true but it's not the point. Also, Syd the budgie lives in the living room and he's always fun to be with, especially because he talks, but I digress. :)

Dave-ros
07-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Can you teach him to say "Exterminate!" or "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry", or to make the sonic screwdriver or TARDIS dematerialisation sound? :p

Mister_Anderson
07-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Fair enough. However, I think most people of my age these days hear that name, and think "60's love child"

Yeah I can admit to thinking that myself when you first said her name because I think Im around your age (Im 35). It does sound very stereo-typical of a flower childs name.

But how funny is it that we think a persons name sounds almost completely out of place from the 1900's in a show about a time travelling alien? :D

And getting back to what you said about Catherine Tate - if shes calmer like she was in the final 10 mins of the show, then yeah I probably wont have an issue with her. Theres a good chance shes probably de-sensitzed to wierdness after the Xmas special.

supermeerkat
07-24-2007, 06:50 AM
I found a thread of fan-made Doctor Who DVD covers on gallifreyone.com (http://www.gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115703&page=1). They are absolutely brilliant.

Joe Siegler
07-26-2007, 02:05 AM
The Ood are returning in the new series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/07/25/47491.shtml

Mountain Man
07-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I found a thread of fan-made Doctor Who DVD covers on gallifreyone.com (http://www.gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115703&page=1). They are absolutely brilliant.
Wow! Those are excellent! It's really a shame when a fan working on his own time can show up the paid professionals who are supposed to be experts at that sort of thing.

supermeerkat
07-28-2007, 04:07 PM
@MM

Yeah - the covers of the BBC DVD releases are rather unimaginative and bland compared to those. I must contact that fellow to get hold of some cover graphics and print them to replace some of my existing covers (I work for a major printer manufacturer, and have access to top of the range colour printers).

I particularly like the cover for Logopolis - I live about 15 minutes drive away from Jodrell Bank, the radio telescope pictured on the cover. It really is an incredible structure.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/Tomalak1985/Logopolis.jpg

Mountain Man
07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
(I work for a major printer manufacturer, and have access to top of the range colour printers).
And what would your boss think of you running off high-quality covers for your Doctor Who collection? :p

supermeerkat
07-30-2007, 06:22 AM
@MM
Abusing the facilities (within reason) is a perk of any job. It's like stealing stationary and paper from the supplies room - everyone does it ;-)

Mountain Man
07-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Here's what you do: If your boss happens to catch you, just say, "Don't worry; I was printing some off for you, too!"

Note: This plan has a better chance of success if your boss is a fan of Doctor Who.

supermeerkat
07-30-2007, 03:18 PM
If I got caught I was planned to do a Homer Simpson, e.g. scream and runaway.

Joe Siegler
08-04-2007, 08:28 PM
From Joe: If you've never checked out the reconstructions site, you should do so. It is really only for the seriously hardcore Doctor Who fan. If you're just a casual fan, this might be beyond you. But this is the only way to see some of the lost Hartnell & Troughton stories. The rest of this email was a newsletter I just got. I'm cross posting it here, because I think the recons folks would be of interest to some here reading this thread.

-----------------------------

Hi Recon Requestors

Yes as you can see the Loose Cannon mailing list is still working. Mailshots are few are far between as we'd rather not send out progress reports but prefer to just let you know when there is something significant to report. Well there is actually quite a lot to say this time around.

Firstly the good news. A new reconstruction is now available from the dubsites. Some of you will be surprised to find that the latest release LC27 is a revamped version of "The Highlanders". The original version was made quite some time ago and it wasn't until we viewed it recently that we realized just how poor it was. In particular the UK PAL versions were from an NTSC transfer which in turn was made from pretty sad looking source material. We wanted to have another go at this and the results look very impressive (if we do say so ourselves).

The new recon is wonderful quality with remastered sound and extremely clear source material. We've added our own special touches throughout the recon and it is at last a very nice to story watch. We were delighted when actor Michael Elwyn (who played Lieutenant Algernon Ffinch in "The Highlanders") agreed to film and introduction and some extra material for us. As well as the reconstruction this tape also includes a short Historical feature about the real battle of Culloden, a Production featurette about the making of the Highlanders back in 1967 and an interview with Michael Elwyn plus a few extra goodies.

Read about the new release on the Highlanders page:

http://www.recons.com/recons/lc27.htm

We are also pleased to announce that work is progressing well on several other reconstructions. The next release will probably be a new version of "The Space Pirates". There will be more information about this release nearer the time. But for the first time we have posted a teaser trailer for this reconstruction which can be viewed on the coming soon page of our website at the following link:

http://www.recons.com/soon.htm

Other releases are also in the pipeline. Work is progressing well on "The Savages", "Evil of the Daleks" and "The Smugglers". As usual we are not able to provide release dates for any of these productions as there are many factors which can affect the timing. But mailshots will be sent out when these productions are available.

Now the sad news. There have been some big changes behind the scenes at Loose Cannon recently. There have been a few events recently each of which have come very close to us shutting shop and calling it a day.

Rick's interest in the recons has been gradually declining over the years and he hasn't edited any reconstructions for quite some time now. So he has finally made the decision to step down completely. Under normal circumstances this would mean the end of LC and the website disappearing. However, Rick has agreed to keep recons.com running provided that his involvement is virtually eliminated. As Rick is the founder of LC he will still be mentioned on the website but his time as a reconstructor will now come to an end.

With Derek having stepped down from Loose Cannon last year, and now Rick, this effectively left me to run the show. As a consequence of this I've recruited a new member to the team. Those who frequent the message-board will know Russ Port. He's been a godsend recently by helping with the running of Loose Cannon. I've also been training Russ as a reconstructor and he has worked with me jointly on the new Highlanders and other projects currently in production. Like Rick, my interest in the recons has also been fading. If it were not for Russ spurring me on I'm sure Loose Cannon would have finished by now. So we all have a lot to thank him for. Please welcome Russ to the team.

Another change is that Stuart Palmer is now officially a member of the team. Stuart has been of invaluable support to us since he first helped out with CGI work for "Daleks' Master Plan". In virtually every reconstruction since then Stuart has helped in some way, either by producing CGI sets, costumes, people or animations.

Last, but by no means least, Steve England has also been promoted to a core team member. Steve handles all the website related matters, including everything from request forms to the complete website design. Steve's support is an essential part of running and maintaining the website and distribution network.

The changes to the team have been reflected in the new 'About Us' page:

http://www.recons.com/aboutus.htm

One final point I have to make is a moan about the old problem of digital copies. As I'm sure you are aware LC skate on very thin ice as far as copyright is concerned. Even though we often source images, tele-snaps and audios from private collectors, the material itself is still BBC copyright. The BBC turns a blind eye to our distribution network because we retain VHS as the exchangeable medium. There is no doubt that VHS is dying and we would much prefer the convenience of digital copies. However, any form of digital copy (be it DVD or downloadable video files) draws unnecessary attention to the recons. With the resurgence of interest in Dr Who I have no doubt that the BBC would clamp down on us if they got wind of digital copies of images and audios in circulation. So I'm afraid it remains VHS or nothing.

If you want to see Loose Cannon reconstructions continue please please please do not trade digital copies. If there is one single factor that will close us down it is if the official channels get wind of trading and exchange of digital copies.

If you would like to discuss the new release, any of the changes mentioned in this mailshot or any other topic, then please do so on the LC message-board.

http://www.recons.com/message.htm

We encourage discussion on any issue and the message-board does not get used as much as we'd like.

Cheers
Dean
(Loose Cannon).

Dave-ros
08-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Wish the BBC did these reconstructions in-house, or paid Loose Cannon as an outside contractor (which would make more sense as the work's already done for most stories), because then digital copies would be fine -- I'd happily pay. Unfortunately, fat chance at the moment :(

On the other hand, there are some stories available like this: I have The Power of the Daleks as an MP3-CD, with Flash telesnap displays timed to the soundtrack (the Anneke Mills version of the voice-over). This was released by BBC Audio so it's not a third party thing. Only pity is, it doesn't have any of the existing clips merged in, it's just static images -- so a Loose Cannon-esque release on DVD (or AVI) would still pwn it ;)

supermeerkat
08-06-2007, 06:27 AM
The BBC won't get involved as the cost of production versus profit made would be minimal / non-existant. Only the hard-core geeks are still interested in static reconstructions of 40 year old missing programs.

Dave-ros
08-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Exactly, which is why they maybe ought to hire Loose Cannon on a token fee, just to make it all official -- otherwise they've got the copyright for something that's simply not being exploited. Of course it depends on how big a piece of the action Loose Cannon would want :p

Joe Siegler
08-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Don't forget, if they released something "officially", then they'd have to pay the people who made the thing originally. That factor alone would weigh against it.

Dave-ros
08-07-2007, 11:19 AM
You mean royalties for the actors, and the original scriptwriter (or his estate)?

Mountain Man
08-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Wish the BBC did these reconstructions in-house, or paid Loose Cannon as an outside contractor (which would make more sense as the work's already done for most stories), because then digital copies would be fine -- I'd happily pay. Unfortunately, fat chance at the moment :(
If they were going to spend money on recons, I'd rather see another animated remake like Pat Troughton's "The Invasion", but the chances of that happening aren't much better either.

supermeerkat
08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I believe that Cogrove Hall have announced that no further animated recons are planned - I came across this in a thread somewhere on gallifreyone.com. I also came across a great fanwank theory for this in another thread:

The archives of the state run Zambian TV company are in the process of being audited, and it appears that the BBC gave them copies of a load of PT and WH episodes in the early seventies. It is rumoured that a number of missing episodes have been found, obviating any need for animated reconstructions.

I would love to this to be true, but there are far more mundane reasons for no further recons, namely money (as discussed previously).

Mountain Man
08-09-2007, 12:54 PM
It is rumoured that a number of missing episodes have been found, obviating any need for animated reconstructions.
I haven't heard that. Sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else.

I think the real reason is that there simply isn't sufficient interest in animated reconstructions to offset the additional expense in making them (I once read that it costs as much to animate a single episode as it does to restore a 4-episode story.)

supermeerkat
08-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Like I said, it was fanwanking.

It'd be neat if something like Valve's Source was used to machinema recreation of DW. It'll never happen though.

Joel
08-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Caution: Potential spoiler

From Outpost gallifrey:

Doctor Who bosses are set to sign up Gandhi star Sir Ben Kingsley to play the Daleks' creator Davros.

Sir Ben, 63 - who won an Oscar for his movie role as India's peace-loving spiritual leader - is in final negotiations to play one of the most dangerous baddies in the galaxy.

A source said: "Ben's agent has been in talks for a while now and he's very keen to play the part of Davros. A deal will be signed any day now."

Fans will be delighted that insane half-man, half-machine Davros is returning for the fourth series of the hit BBC1 show, which stars David Tennant as the Timelord.

The alien scientist - who first battled the Doctor in 1975 - is hell-bent on destruction with his army of exterminating Daleks.

I will be very interested to see where he's been all these years since his escape in Remebrance of the Daleks.

supermeerkat
08-11-2007, 01:11 PM
^^^ That comes from a Sun news report. I wouldn't believe it until I see it.

Also, I was never that enamoured by Davros. I don't think there was a Dalek story after Genesis without him, and none of them were particularly well done, IMO.

Joel
08-11-2007, 11:33 PM
^^^ That comes from a Sun news report. I wouldn't believe it until I see it.

Also, I was never that enamoured by Davros. I don't think there was a Dalek story after Genesis without him, and none of them were particularly well done, IMO.

I disagree to be honest. I thought Remembrance of the Daleks was a stand-out Doctor Who Dalek classic (though Davros is only introduced in the final installment of the episode). Revelation of the Daleks was also enjoyable and important to the dalek legacy.

Though I thought the Davidson story, Resurrection of the Daleks was hit and miss. Not a bad episode but mediocre when compared to other Dalek stories.

But I do agree with taking the Sun story with a grain of salt, there's been much discussion in this thread regarding their mis-information so I won't even go into that one ;)

Dave-ros
08-12-2007, 04:35 AM
I've got a Who calendar featuring the first Tennant season, and I just realised with horror that the month of my birthday will feature the Absorbaloff... oh, what a birthday surprise! :doh:

Mountain Man
08-12-2007, 12:03 PM
And the cruel joke that is "Love & Monsters" continues. :mryuck:

QuiGonJ
08-15-2007, 11:08 PM
I sincerely hope they never bring back Davros. Course I wish they hadn't brought back the Master, and stand by that wish now after Last of the Time Lords.

Oh, three other things. One, I just joined the Time Meddlers of Los Angeles last month. Just finished watching Robot tonight, and I am helping a friend with our own recon of The Wheel in Space. I'm cleaning up the pics from the BBC site and I got the Wendy Padbury CD from ebay, and my friend is doing the animation work in iMovie.

Joe Siegler
08-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Say hi to Shawn Lyon. he's a very old friend of mine, I've known him for over 20 years. :)

Anyway, about Davros, I expect him to come back. Look at it from a plot standpoint. There's one Dalek left. Period. How's he going to recreate the race now? Find their original creator. From where the Daleks were last left, it certainly makes sense to me. And if he is used, don't expect him to be the screaming maniac he developed into. It'll be more like the original Genesis incarnation, I'm sure.

Joel
08-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Say hi to Shawn Lyon. he's a very old friend of mine, I've known him for over 20 years. :)

Anyway, about Davros, I expect him to come back. Look at it from a plot standpoint. There's one Dalek left. Period. How's he going to recreate the race now? Find their original creator. From where the Daleks were last left, it certainly makes sense to me. And if he is used, don't expect him to be the screaming maniac he developed into. It'll be more like the original Genesis incarnation, I'm sure.

I agree. Logically there is only one place for the lone Dalek to turn to, its creator. I had an idea about this. Instead of just having Ben (assuming he is cast) as Davros in Dalek form, I thought it would be cool if we see Davros before Dalek form as a human who walks around. It could be a sequel/prequel type situation where maybe the lone dalek assumes Davros is dead and travels back to convince him to raise an army of Daleks. The story both builds on the continuity of the whole Dalek saga AND gives us some backstory about how Davros became what he is/was.

Dave-ros
08-16-2007, 11:47 AM
I thought the last Dalek from the most recent series might have gone slightly forward in time to be the one we saw in "Dalek", but the writers probably haven't done that as it'd mean Dalek history in this incarnation of the series is essentially circular and has no more sequels in it... which the merchandising department certainly wouldn't want. No more Daleks = no more money -- same reason the Doctor keeps using the sonic screwdriver to do absolutely everything :p

supermeerkat
08-16-2007, 04:39 PM
I am helping a friend with our own recon of The Wheel in Space. I'm cleaning up the pics from the BBC site and I got the Wendy Padbury CD from ebay, and my friend is doing the animation work in iMovie.

Let me know when you finish. I'd love to see that - best design of Classic Who Cybermen, plus the intro of Zoe and Errol Flynn's son. Brilliant stuff.

I've nearly finished watching "The Hand of Fear", SJS's last story. Classic stuff, apart from the buttoch clenchingly naff fashions (check out Sarah's dungarees). It's got a great atmosphere, that builds nicely, and TB, as ever is a joy to watch. I'm really starting to go for the Hinchcliffe era Who - dark, with little humour.

A few clangers:

1. The director of the nuclear power plant can call in a nuclear strike by making one phone call,
2. They park half a mile down the road from the soon to be nuked plant, and are advised to open their mouths and pinch their noses to avoid the worst of the fallout!

Also, the secondary console room was shown. I didn't realise it made it into the TB era, I thought it was a JP only thing.

Joe Siegler
08-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Eldrad must live!

Secondary console room (the wooden one) was *ONLY* a Tom Baker thing. Lasted for one season.

Anyway, I'm attaching a few pictures. I got several new Dr Who toys in today from a friend in the UK. They're in the first picture. The second is the new stuff merged in with the existing Dr Who toys I have here on my desk at 3DR.

supermeerkat
08-18-2007, 03:11 PM
^^Nerd!

Cool toys, though. I've got a remote controlled Dalek and Mrs Supermeerkat has a remote controlled K9. We sometimes race them round the living room.

QuiGonJ
08-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I asked about Shaun at the meeting, I don't think he drops by regularly any more.

And yes, meerkat, I'll let you know when I'm done. I think my friend will add some clips up on YouTube to show off the work without violating the BBC copyrights.

supermeerkat
08-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Ta very much. How do you plan to distribute it, BTW?

Joe Siegler
08-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Couple of interesting rumours about the new season:

Joan Collins as the Rani
Peter Davison as The Doctor in a multi doctor story - YAY!

The Davison one comes from Sylvester McCoy of all places at a con. :)

supermeerkat
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Couple of interesting rumours about the new season:

Joan Collins as the Rani

:mryuck: Annoying woman.

The Davison one comes from Sylvester McCoy of all places at a con. :)

It's common knowledge RTD doesn't like (some say hates) the multi-Doctor stories. I doubt this one very much, Sylverster is probably no more in the DW production loop than anyone in this thread is. IMO, if there ever is a multi-Doctor story it will be when a new producer takes over.

Joe Siegler
08-21-2007, 08:18 AM
:mryuck: Annoying woman.

Why not just use Kate O'Mara? She's actually 6 years younger than Joan Collins is. Yeah, I know - Collins is a way bigger name than O'Mara. There's been a lot of annoying people that I've accepted as actors - I won't immediately damn it, but hiring a 74 year old to do that seems odd. Unless they plan on regenerating her Jacobi-Simm style.

It's common knowledge RTD doesn't like (some say hates) the multi-Doctor stories. I doubt this one very much, Sylverster is probably no more in the DW production loop than anyone in this thread is. IMO, if there ever is a multi-Doctor story it will be when a new producer takes over.

Valid points. However, since I posted that I found out something that might make it more of a logical thing. It's not an actual episode. It's going to be for Children in Need this October. If that's the case, then yeah - I'll buy it. RTD would probably do something like that for a special deal like CiN.

Since then the Sun have also reported on it - by far not serious bastions of news (especially given how they post known false stories about Dr Who), but my gut says this is happening. Can't prove that, though.

supermeerkat
08-21-2007, 11:42 AM
I've come across the PD rumour on one other site, which referenced the Sun (and inevitably the talkback section was full of posts rubbishing the Sun). I've had a nosey around the BBC site, but there is nothing to be found about PD.

But, I think it's true as well, as I consider PD to be rather an underrated Doctor, and I'd like to see what DT's Doctor will make of him.

As for the big name casting in DW, I've always found it a bit gimmicky, and would prefer to see good, unknowns in place of a name, as they usual tend to overshadow the character they play. One of the reasons I never liked JNT's reign was for that very reason; although I can see why he did it: a big name can pull in viewers.

QuiGonJ
08-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I can't see any reason to bring back the Rani. Interesting idea, but the execution was not really all that good in either story.

And I hope they listen to Tom, who has no interest in being the Doctor again, but from the past few DVDs would love to have a guest shot on the new show. But bringing back Peter would be cool too, if it happens.

meerkat, as for distributing, we're not going to in any serious fashion. We'll make a copy for the Time Meddlers and a few tapes for people I know who would be interested, and yes, that would include you. :) It'll have to be tapes cause those are the beeb's rules on recons.

Joel
08-21-2007, 09:20 PM
It's very interesting to hear that they're deciding to use Peter Davidson. Though he's looking a bit long in the tooth, it's nothing that can't be rectified with some make-up, maybe some hair dye or a wig and *whispers very softly* the burning off of a couple of kilograms.

I must say though that Peter is the actor from the Classic series who has retained his appearance the best. Appearance wise, Tom Baker in my opinion would be far too old to resurrect the fourth Doctor, fine though his performance would be. Colin Baker meanwhile wouldn't be suitable to bring back as the Sixth Doctor as age and life tragedy hasn't been too kind on him which is a real shame. Not sure about Sylvester McCoy though, the last time I saw him was in the 1996 telemovie where he did still look quite good as the Doctor. Not sure about him now. McGann (if that counts as classic) still looks great as the Doctor for obvious reasons.

On the other hand though (and I don't mean to be pessimistic because I am excited about the news), but having a multi-Doctor story for Children in Need is a bit of a cop-out. If they're going to allow it for a 5 minute presentation which I assume follows the events of the Season 3 finale, I can't imagine any harm in casting him for a full 45 minute episode. Maybe even bring Tegan back into the fold. But it's still nice to see the new series pay tribute to the Classic Series in this way :) It's better than nothing after all.

But speaking of current WHO, in Australia we're just over the half way mark of Season 3. I don't know how everybody else feels but this Season is probably my favourite thus far. The writing is strong, CGI is great, Tennant has refined he's performance and has tamed the erratic quality to his character plus the quality of the BBC Doctor Who novels has increased by a notch. Meanwhile, i'm not the biggest Martha fan and do prefer Rose, but she still does a fine job. The only thing I felt was a let-down was the Christmas special which I didn't feel was done quite as well as the 2005 special. This week's episode is The Family of Blood. The predecessor which leads into this episode is one of my all time favourites. Tennant deserves a Bafta for his performance in my opinion for that ep, meanwhile Martha as a character flourished and matured in ways I couldn't have imagined. THe growth of the character over a matter of 3 episodes has been captivating to say the least.

Joe Siegler
08-24-2007, 11:31 AM
New picture of Donna Noble from the Agatha Christie episode from the forthcoming season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/doctor_donna/1024/22.jpg

This joins this pic from a few weeks ago when filming started:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/doctor_donna/1024/21.jpg

Joe Siegler
08-24-2007, 11:32 AM
But speaking of current WHO, in Australia we're just over the half way mark of Season 3. I don't know how everybody else feels but this Season is probably my favourite thus far. The writing is strong, CGI is great, Tennant has refined he's performance and has tamed the erratic quality to his character plus the quality of the BBC Doctor Who novels has increased by a notch. Meanwhile, i'm not the biggest Martha fan and do prefer Rose, but she still does a fine job. The only thing I felt was a let-down was the Christmas special which I didn't feel was done quite as well as the 2005 special. This week's episode is The Family of Blood. The predecessor which leads into this episode is one of my all time favourites. Tennant deserves a Bafta for his performance in my opinion for that ep, meanwhile Martha as a character flourished and matured in ways I couldn't have imagined. THe growth of the character over a matter of 3 episodes has been captivating to say the least.

Blink is next, it's spectacular. Then you get a three parter to end the season. The first of the three (Utopia) is my favorite episode of the season.

Joel
08-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Blink is next, it's spectacular. Then you get a three parter to end the season. The first of the three (Utopia) is my favorite episode of the season.

Yes, I saw a preview for that. It certainly looks interesting. I definitely didn't blink during that preview ;)

Dave-ros
08-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Yes, the concept of "Blink" goes back to hedge animals in Stephen King's The Shining -- the book, not the movie (where it became a hedge maze :p). In fact, it's almost Lovecraftian :D

Joe Siegler
08-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Torchwood starts airing in the US next week, too. :)

supermeerkat
08-30-2007, 06:41 AM
I've never been that impressed with Torchwood: I felt that the writing was too sloppy, and could have benefitted from a good rewrite. There were a lot of good ideas badly executed.

I'd also like to see more Captain Jack in DW. He's great.

Dave-ros
08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah, we all love John Barrowman, he's so cheeky and loveable :D

I think the problem with Torchwood was that they tried to make it too adult, and on that basis filled it with casual sex -- it was less The X-Files and more Red Shoe Diaries (both of which featured David Duchovny :p). I think ITV's attempt to do the same kind of thing for a family audience (what was it called, Primeval?) may have proven more popular... but I wouldn't know, I disdained it -- ITV sux0r :tinyted:

Joe Siegler
08-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Since Martha will be on Torchwood for a few episodes in the new series, the bet is who she bonks first there. ;)

Joel
08-31-2007, 05:53 AM
Yeah, we all love John Barrowman, he's so cheeky and loveable :D

I think the problem with Torchwood was that they tried to make it too adult, and on that basis filled it with casual sex -- it was less The X-Files and more Red Shoe Diaries (both of which featured David Duchovny :p). I think ITV's attempt to do the same kind of thing for a family audience (what was it called, Primeval?) may have proven more popular... but I wouldn't know, I disdained it -- ITV sux0r :tinyted:

I agree. To be honest, i've only seen the first episode, but it comes accross as the type of show that's being "adult" for the sake of it. The gratuitous gore and coarse language doesn't really add any depth to the characters. It's not that it offends me in any way but at the same time there needs to be some substance to it. But I want to give Torchwood a chance since it's a brilliant concept. I'll get stuck into the DVD's soon.

supermeerkat
09-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Since Martha will be on Torchwood for a few episodes in the new series, the bet is who she bonks first there. ;)

I'll bet any one here it won't be John Barrowman :D

Mountain Man
09-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Now that would be extremely awesome. Course the last thing Tennant needs is to be upstaged in his own show by Davison! :D

But to relegate him to a Children in Need special? Bah! He deserves better! Still, better than nothing, I suppose.

Oh, and Blink is by far one of the best Who episodes ever made. Simply brilliant from start to finish.

Dave-ros
09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Hot off the press: no season in 2009, though it looks like there will be three specials (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6976178.stm) :eek:

supermeerkat
09-03-2007, 04:06 PM
^^ I wonder why that is?

IMO, it's an experiment: investigating the possibility of a movie/TVM franchise.

Dave-ros
09-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Well, Only Fools and Horses had a series, then TV movies, then went away for a long time, then came back for another series of TV movies... I'm sure another great BBC franchise can do the same thing ;)

Joe Siegler
09-03-2007, 08:48 PM
^^ I wonder why that is?

IMO, it's an experiment: investigating the possibility of a movie/TVM franchise.

No. It's being done so Tennant can play Hamlet during the time they would be filming the series that would appear then. It was hoped that the concession would convince him to return to the role in 2010 (Series 5).

What we have:

2007: Christmas Special
2008: Series 4, 13 episodes & Christmas Special
2009: Three "specials"
2010: Series 5, 13 episodes

Now depending on who you listen to, and what press you read, there will be either just three specials in 2009, or three Specials and a Christmas episode, it's unclear what the status of a 2009 Christmas episode is.

As it stands, Tennant will be the Doctor through the three specials. That's the same timeframe as RTD. The Series 5 in 2010 is as of yet unknown. However, as I said above, it's hoped that the concession to delay the series for Tennant, than just regenerate the Doctor to keep it going will convince him to return in 2010, although nothing's signed that far out yet.

BTW, none of this is speculation on my part, it's all stuff I've read on reputable news sources today (meaning NOT the Sun :) ).

Whether RTD carries in in 2010, nobody seems to know either, but speculation I've read seems to think this could convince him to stay on a little longer too, having "recharged" a bit.

There is also Sarah Jane and Torchwood at the same time.

Fan speculation (which I agree with) wonders if the three 2009 specials would comprise the Time War, as they'd have a MUCH larger budget per episode, and likely be much longer than a 45 minute episode. We shall see. Or hope.

Using McGann and exploring the Time War could be cool. :)

Joel
09-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I saw Blink a few nights ago. Another brilliant 5 star episode. I very much enjoyed the approach of the story revolving less around the Doctor and Martha this time. I think one thing you have to credit RTD for is his determination to try new things, albeit his reservation for multi-Doctor stories. I just loved the darker, gloomy quality to this episode which is very characteristic of this Season. RTD recently announced that Series 4 would resemble a lighter tone rather than the more serious and dramatic texture of this Season. I was hoping they'd explore the tone of this Season a little more.

The only thing though is that I got a bit lost with how the cycle of events unfolded:

1. Sally Sparrow and friend, Kathy Nightingale, explore abadoned house
2. Kathy Nightingale goes missing
3. Stranger arrives with letter from Kathy Nightingale (i think)
4. Sally goes to speak with Kathy's Brother at the DVD store and sees Doctor Easter Egg on DVD
5. Sally goes to the police station
6. Billy transported to 1969
7. Sally visits a more senior version of Billy in hospital who has a note for her to see the DVD's.
8. Sally and Kathy's Brother watch DVD, the Brother takes notes for his internet transcript.
9. (Skip through to the end), Sally sees the Doctor for the first time (from the Doctor's perspective) and hands him the transcript so when he is transported to 1969 he knows the exact lines to use when recording the DVD Easter Eggs.

So, from what I can see, if it weren't for Billy, it wouldn't have worked out since he provided the link between The Doctor and Sally via the DVD list. Therefore, the only way the transcript could have been generated is if Sally received the list, watch the DVD's. So, I guess in the transcript, the questions were obviously included, so, as the Doctor said, he knew what she was going to say. I think I get it.

Meanwhile, as for the new directon in 2009, i'm open to that. I think it's a good time for the series to have a semi-hiatus to re-charge the batteries and bring in some new ideas. That's not to say the show has jumped the shark, but in the interests of maintaining the quality that the show has acheived so far, I think this is a good way to go about. I also totally agree about a trillogy of Time War specials, that has some potential. It also means that Doctor Who can also build upon some other media during the time it won't be seen in television as much. More novels would be fantastic, maybe some audio drama's, a larger batch of Classic DW DVD releases would be welcome and how about a full fledged PC/Console Adventure game for the show too?

But I definitely don't see this as a bad thing, if anything, it will add years onto the series to come.

Mister_Anderson
09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Im not sure if you all have seen this, but it was a nice chronology of all the Dr Who episodes from the beginning right up to the Dr Who movie done in 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh-TGAqDfgk

Joe Siegler
09-04-2007, 12:16 PM
That was a seriously cool link. Thanks for that.

Would have been nice to have it updated for the modern series, too.

Mountain Man
09-04-2007, 03:04 PM
So 2009 is going to be a handful of specials as opposed to a regular season? That's an interesting gamble. Hope it pays off. Would be cool if each of the specials was two-hours long. It'd be like the good ol' days watching the omnibus versions of Doctor Who on my local PBS!

supermeerkat
09-04-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't have a problem with the year out: British TV has never been regimented or regular as American TV.

Some of the most famous, classics of British TV has been sporadic. It's something we're used to.

Mister_Anderson
09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Would have been nice to have it updated for the modern series, too.

Ask and you shall recieve!

http://www.insidethetardis.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,28/func,fileinfo/id,84/

Apart from the DT's grab at the begining, there's no lines from any of the episodes but it uses the new version of the Doctor Who theme from the OST. Its cut really, really well...it could almost be a promo for a new series Doctor Who Marathon on TV!

Well worth the 40 meg download. :cool:

Mister_Anderson
09-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Damn cant seem to edit that last post...

Forgot to say that it only encompasses the first 3 seasons of the new series. No old school epsiodes.

Mountain Man
09-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Im not sure if you all have seen this, but it was a nice chronology of all the Dr Who episodes from the beginning right up to the Dr Who movie done in 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh-TGAqDfgk
Was that Sylvester McCoy at the end reciting William Hartnell's lines from the final episode of "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" as the Doctor said goodbye to Susan?

supermeerkat
09-08-2007, 04:39 AM
One for Joe, methinks, There are reports of some or all of the missing Troughton serial "The Web of Fear" has been found (http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/news/news.htm).

Thoughts, comments?

Dave-ros
09-08-2007, 05:02 AM
That would be very cool -- though we'd have to wait for the Restoration Team to work their magic before it got released on DVD... although it wouldn't take so long since they've already done episode 1 :D

I still hold out hope that they'll find The Power of the Daleks some day :insomnia:

supermeerkat
09-08-2007, 05:28 AM
Came across this quote on GallifreyOne.com:

I did briefly contemplate suicide when I realised that the modern practice of archiving programmes meant that there was absolutely no possibility that Timelash would be lost, and that it would stand as a record of Doctor Who to future generations.

:D

That story is dreadful!

Mountain Man
09-08-2007, 09:11 AM
One for Joe, methinks, There are reports of some or all of the missing Troughton serial "The Web of Fear" has been found (http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/news/news.htm).

Thoughts, comments?
It's a little hard to comment given the lack of details. Found where? By whom? What's the source of the rumor?

Regardless, any news of lost stories found is certainly exciting for Who fans, but I don't know what to think of this one simply because there's really nothing in the reports for me to think about!

supermeerkat
09-08-2007, 10:21 AM
That link is the source; I came across it in the GallifreyOne forums (http://www.gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147752). I've read through 9 pages of comment and discussion which frequently descends into insults and name calling, threats from the moderator etc.

Various DW sites seem to be referencing each other, and lots of fans keep saying that Doctor Who Online has a good history for true stories, so it must be true. You all know the rest: the usual elation and excitement whenever new "news" or "rumours" crop up.

It'd be nice if it was true, though.

supermeerkat
09-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Also, has anyone every noticed that these rumours are never about the DW turkeys like "The Underwater Menace" or "The Enemy of the World"?

Dave-ros
09-08-2007, 10:35 AM
One episode from each of those exists -- I can only imagine the other episodes have been burned :p

supermeerkat
09-08-2007, 10:39 AM
...by the Restoration Team when the missing episodes were handed in.

Dave-ros
09-08-2007, 10:51 AM
No, they'd have put the burning online, so we could all see it :D

Joe Siegler
09-10-2007, 11:01 AM

Thoughts, comments?

Saw it over the weekend. Appears to be false. There's some speculation that the Dr Who site mentioned in the original story made it up to help further their supposed "forthcoming major push to find episodes".

I'll believe it (and be really excited) if there's an official announcement on the matter, but for now I'm considering it false.

Mountain Man
09-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Yep... "Don't believe it until there's an official announcement" seems to be the best policy when it comes to this sort of thing.

QuiGonJ
09-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Just an update... we showed the first three episodes of our The Wheel in space reconstruction this past weekend at the Time Meddlers of Los Angeles meeting. Everyone seemed to like it.

Here's a sample of the restoration work I am doing on the pics. This is the worst picture so far, and the cleanup I did to it....

QuiGonJ
09-18-2007, 08:26 AM
and here's one that isn't quite as extreme...

It's either cropping in the picture editing stage or zooming in when my friend does the assembling in imovie, and cropping means there are fewer artifacts introduced from zooming in.

Joe Siegler
09-18-2007, 01:50 PM
If you didn't notice, the full series of the Sarah Jane Adventures starts on September 24th. The website for it has been updated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja

supermeerkat
09-19-2007, 10:05 AM
^^^ QuiGonJ: looking good, keep posting updates.

Regarding the Web of Fear: on the British BAFTA awards on the 13th of October, the BBC will be announcing "material traced from around the world" (http://www.the-mausoleum-club.org.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=15772).

Taken from this link (http://www.gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149000)at GallifreyOne.

Sounds exciting! Here's hoping for the Web of Fear.

Mountain Man
09-20-2007, 02:10 PM
I hope it's something more than "We recovered these handful of clips."

supermeerkat
09-20-2007, 03:39 PM
I hope it's something more than "We recovered these handful of clips."

I bet it's going to be something like that: a major find like WoF would be hyped to the high heavens by the BBC. Also, the BAFTA awards are shown on ITV, which are the BBC's main rival, so it wouldn't make much sense for them to announce it there.

Mountain Man
09-20-2007, 11:33 PM
a major find like WoF would be hyped to the high heavens by the BBC.
As I understand it, they kept "Tomb of the Cybermen" quiet for several months because they didn't want to tip off the bootleggers, so who knows.

Joe Siegler
09-21-2007, 12:03 AM
I still vote for "Power of the Daleks 1" as the single episode that needs to be recovered the most. Second in line is The Tenth Planet 4, followed by "The Feast of Steven" (Daleks Master Plan 7).

Edit: supermeerkat, are you posting in that thread you linked to? Some of the stuff looks like you, but I can't recall if supermeerkat is your name there too or not.

Dave-ros
09-21-2007, 02:44 AM
Noooo, not "Feast of Steven", the first episode ever to be destroyed by the Beeb! Anything but the Doctor talking to the audience, aaaarggghhh! :eek: :p

supermeerkat
09-21-2007, 06:13 AM
@Joe: yes, I post in those threads.

Joe Siegler
09-21-2007, 03:22 PM
I got two new items for my pile of Doctor Who toys on my desk here at 3DR today..

One is a Judoon, and the other is a "Flight Control Tardis". See attached for the entire Who collection at my desk.

A few notes. One of the K9's is a remote control K9 (the damaged one after the modern episode). The upside down thing in the Cyberman's hand is the old Dapol Bonnie Langford (Mel) figure. The large Slitheen and Doctor #9 are actually walkie talkies. The largest Dalek is a coin bank. The smaller Tardis is actually the centerpiece from the Doctor Who board game from two years ago or so.

Pontiaction
09-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I recently discovered Magic Bullet's Kaldor City audio plays based on the Tom Baker serial "The Robots of Death" and thought they were phenomenal. Now I need to find the "Corpse Marker" book to complete the picture.

Anybody else as big of a "RoD" nerd as I? :cool:

supermeerkat
09-22-2007, 06:32 AM
Joe, that's a great collection of DW stuff. A bit nerdy, but cool none the less :)

Dave-ros
09-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Bah! I just saw a second-hand copy of Remembrance of the Daleks on DVD, and saw it had a different box than the 2001 release, which famously had some special effects missing (linkage (http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rtwebsite/remembrancedvd.htm)), and the date on it said 2007, so I thought "yay, they've re-released it with the missing effects reinstated!". Get home, and what do I find? It's the 2001 edition with the missing effects after all. DAMN!!!!!! Still, Wikipedia says there's another edition with CGI effects coming out in November, so maybe I'll ask for that for Christmas, and sell this second-hand copy on third-hand -- I don't need it if I've got the story on video anyway (complete with The Beatles rather than Billy J. Kramer). Damn my impulse purchases :doh:

Mountain Man
09-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Nice collection, Joe. What's the winged thing on the far right? I don't recognize it.

----------

Get home, and what do I find? It's the 2001 edition with the missing effects after all. DAMN!!!!!! Still, Wikipedia says there's another edition with CGI effects coming out in November...
It bugs me that the BBC (or whoever's responsible) isn't more proactive about addressing these kinds of errors. Personally, I'm still a bit bitter about "The Invasion" fiasco where they botched up Disc 2 for the Region 1 release.

Joe Siegler
09-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Nice collection, Joe. What's the winged thing on the far right? I don't recognize it.

Well, let's do all of it. L-R (more or less):

"School Reunion" K-9 (is also a remote control one)
Classic K-9
Two 5" Cybermen
One 12" Cymberman
Upside down Dapol Bonnie Langford (Mel) figure (in large Cyberman's hand)
Tardis prop from Doctor Who board game (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toy-Brokers-Doctor-Board-Game/dp/B000BKTBVS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-3687274-1115000?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1190563656&sr=8-1)
12" Ninth Doctor walkie talkie
5" Rose Tyler
5" 10th Doctor
5" Martha Jones
Flight Control Tardis
Sonic Screwdriver
12" Slitheen walkie talkie (set with Doc 9)
Dalek Bank
Dapol Davros
Dapol Fourth Doctor
Small Dalek
Talking Dalek (says about 5 phrases)
Judoon Captain
Dapol Fourth Doctor in Bessie
Krillitaine (from School Invasion)

The "Small Dalek" is the oldest thing I have. I've had it since the classic series went off the air, I cannot remember where I got it from, or why.

Both tardises make noise, but the Flight Control one has about 7 or 8 different sounds, and it has sensors inside of it to know when you've picked it up or put it down or are moving it, and makes the proper noise based on what you're doing to it.

The sonic screwdriver actually lights up.

The 12" Cyberman is quite nice, it's completely flexibile, and is one of the better quality figures I've ever seen.

The walkie talkies were a set, although the microphone for the Doctor & the Slitheen are both in their crotches, so you look fairly gay if you actually use them for walkie walkies. :)

Next year they're starting on their line of Doctors - which is something I've wanted for ages. All ten Doctors lined up right next to each other.

The Krillitaine is leaning against hte bowling pin, as it doesn't stand up very well on it's own. :)

Mountain Man
09-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Krillitaine (from School Invasion)
Ah, O.K. Not a particularly memorable enemy that.

Joe Siegler
09-24-2007, 11:12 AM
No, not particularly, but the story itself was. Sarah Jane & K9? w00t!

Joe Siegler
09-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I have a great story about Doctor Who and my two year old and Doctor Who. While it's funny about the Doctor Who stuff, I was more impressed as her father with the reading aspect of this story.

BTW, this was written for my personal blog, where I could not guarantee the readers (and in particular my family back home) would recognize all the Doctor Who terms, so that's why some of them are "explained".

------
This is an interesting post. As a sci-fi fan, I'm excited about it, but I'm more excited about my daughter reading. So here goes an odd one.

As I posted about (http://joe.siegler.net/archives/2006/05/the_scifi_gene.html) back in May of 2006, Samantha seems to have inherited the sci-fi gene from Daddy. Now we don't actually show her full episodes of things, as most of it is too advanced for her, but she has seen a few minutes here and there. Enough that she can recognize "The Doctor" when I pause the TiVo and ask. David Tennant is "her Doctor", a term Dr Who fans will recognize. Anyway, as per the old blog entry, Samantha has always danced to the title sequence of (modern) Doctor Who. If I put it on, she gets all excited, and starts dancing around the floor. She seems to love it. I had it on tonight, and she started dancing around, only this time she shouted "DOCTOR WHO! IT'S DOCTOR WHO MOMMY!", which got both of us laughing. So she danced around a few more times, only in the middle of the title sequence, she said "Tardis!". For those who don't know, the Tardis is the blue box that is the Doctor's ship. Samantha recognized it, and pointed it out to us.

So we repeated the theme song a few times, and then stopped it on the logo in the titles, which I'm showing here.

http://joe.siegler.net/images/drwhologo.jpg

She's 2 years 5 months, so we've been working on letters, alphabet, and rudimentary reading. She pretty much knows every letter of the alphabet, although she doesn't get it right 100% of the time yet. So when I paused it on the logo, I asked her "What are those letters?". She walked up to the TV, and read them in order.. D-O-C-T-O-R-W-H-O. That part was cool enough, but I took a step and asked "What does that spell?" I think we had to repeat the question a second time like "What do those letters say?", She said "Doctor Who!", which was a really cool moment. Lynn and I both laughed. Now, you could make the point that we were talking about Doctor Who anyway, and she just remembered it, but it seemed like she was reading it, which was cool to me on two levels - one as a parent, and two as a Doctor Who fan. So we repeated it again, and once she realized we were all happy, she got all excited about it, and started saying "Doctor Who!" several more times. BTW, she can also recognize a Dalek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek) on screen too.

http://joe.siegler.net/images/samtardis2_small.jpg (http://joe.siegler.net/images/samtardis2.jpg)

A little setup for the second part of this. I work for a game company, and as such, it allows me to continue to act like a kid myself into my 40's. I have quite a few toys on my desk at work, including a decent collection of Doctor Who toys (http://joe.siegler.net/images/drwhotoys0907.jpg). This past Friday I got two more things in, one was a fairly large (about a foot tall) replica of the Tardis. It's the current "hot toy" in Doctor Who fandom (it's really a Flight Control Tardis for any Who fans reading this). I had brought it home to show Lynn, and brought home a couple of the relevant figures to stand with it. When Lynn called the stuff "Daddy's toys", Samantha immediately wanted to play with them, saying things like "Daddy share his toys with Samantha!". I was a little leery of that, as I had visions of the Tardis exploded on our living room floor. I stuck the Tardis and the figures in our entertainment center for the weekend, and Samantha would point at them saying "Those are Daddy's toys!". Well, after the stuff I described above with the reading of the Doctor Who logo, I decided to let her hold the Tardis for a bit. I grabbed the camera (mostly because a friend Jake would love seeing the pics), so I snapped a few of her with the Tardis toy. It was quite cute actually, as the prop looks even larger with a two year old holding it. So after she held that for a bit (and figured out how to open the doors on her own), I took it back and let her play with the action figures a bit. When she was sitting there, I decided to push my luck and grab some of the Doctor Who DVD's off the shelf from previous Doctors and ask her who they were. She recognized David Tennant easily enough on TV, but the concept of other guys being "The Doctor" probably is foreign to her. I picked up a DVD from the original Doctor from 1963, an older fellow named William Hartnell. Asked her who that was, and she said "The Doctor". Showed her one from the sixth actor in the role during the 80's, Colin Baker. She also said he was "The Doctor". I just smirked at that, and decided it was time to end the Doctor WHo stuff, as she needed to get ready for bed.

While this is mostly a Doctor Who-centric post, I do have to admit to thinking it was very cool that my two year old daughter was able to read "Doctor Who" off the television. But the inner geek in me was loving the fact that my daughter also exclaimed "I love Doctor Who!" tonight.

http://joe.siegler.net/images/samtardis1_small.jpg (http://joe.siegler.net/images/samtardis1.jpg)

supermeerkat
09-24-2007, 12:40 PM
How sweet!

QuiGonJ
09-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Very cool story Joe!

ShakeItBaby
09-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Sweet story.

DOSGuy
09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
I stopped reading the thread for a while because we were finally getting Series 3 in Canada and I wanted to catch up. I loved the clip of Gallifrey in The Sound of Drums, especially the lone Time Lord standing guard outside of the citadel. When they showed the Time Lords standing around the young Master, I thought, "after all these years, those ceremonial robes are cooler than ever."

A bit disappointing that the Master didn't have a goatee to make him look a bit more evil. I also didn't know that Time Lords had any conscious control over regeneration. I assume it's like breathing, and that they regenerate involuntarily if they happen to be dead at the time. I guess the First Doctor chose to regenerate without being killed, but choosing to not regenerate is a new one. I assume he'll be oozing out of that ring in some future episode. The Doctor never learns, does he?

All in all, a pretty decent closing serial, and nice to see Captain Jack again.

Dave-ros
09-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Well, the Doctor regeneated the first time because his body was "wearing a bit thin" (reflected in real life, as Hartnell was getting increasingly ill), while the Master's regenerations had been going a bit funny... he used up his natural 12 regenerations (off-screen) in the original series, and then took to body-snatching... I think it was the Doctor's TARDIS that enabled him to regenerate this time around, though I'm not sure how, unless he's been given a new set of regenerations previously?

DOSGuy
09-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I think the First Doctor's regeneration can be considered voluntarily, since he wasn't mortally wounded and wasn't observed to have died of old age.

I think the Master was resurrected with a new set of regenerations. That might have been a bit shortsighted by the other Time Lords, but perhaps they expected him to die a few times during the Time War. He was far from the TARDIS when the Doctor ordered him to regeneration on the Valiant.

supermeerkat
10-01-2007, 02:00 AM
I think the Master was resurrected with a new set of regenerations. .

I though that was already stated in the episode?

Anyway, remember Romana regenerating? She consciously chose several different bodies before settling on one.

Mountain Man
10-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Romana's regeneration was obviously a throwaway gag to explain the new actress rather than a serious attempt to establish series canon.

Dave-ros
10-01-2007, 11:35 AM
DOSGuy, I wouldn't say for one moment the First Doctor's regeneration was "voluntary" -- it seemed like it was all he could do to hold it off! Technically he was dying of old age (as was Hartnell, sadly, though he lasted another 9 years). However, it was certainly the only time he wasn't mortally wounded or forced to regenerate by the Time Lords ;)

supermeerkat
10-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Romana's regeneration was obviously a throwaway gag to explain the new actress rather than a serious attempt to establish series canon.

I disagree! It has been clearly established that further regenerations can be granted, and Romana was rather a flippant character. She burned through her regenerations knowing she could get more.

Joe Siegler
10-01-2007, 11:41 PM
I disagree! It has been clearly established that further regenerations can be granted, and Romana was rather a flippant character. She burned through her regenerations knowing she could get more.

There are some who have tied that into the "grow a new hand" thing for Doctor 10, and calling it the same regeneration. There's been some theories over the years that a properly trained Time Lord can control their regeneration. If you couple that with the regeneration talk that Doc 10 gave about being able to do things like that in a period of post regeneration, than you could extrapolate it into a remark that Romana's "looks" there were just the same regeneration, just not stabilized.

That may be the reality of the thing, but you should know Who fans. They try and make everything work. Like me, but I usually have plausible explanations.

supermeerkat
10-02-2007, 07:07 AM
I found this thread at GallifreyOne: Why did Romana have to regenerate? (http://www.gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150027)

It contained the following post:

According to the novelisation, Romana chose to regenerate so she got the option of taking her time and choosing various bodies. The Doctor has never had this option as he's always regenerated upon 'death' and had to take any form possible in order to stay alive.

Joe Siegler
10-02-2007, 09:08 AM
while the Master's regenerations had been going a bit funny... he used up his natural 12 regenerations (off-screen) in the original series, and then took to body-snatching... I think it was the Doctor's TARDIS that enabled him to regenerate this time around, though I'm not sure how, unless he's been given a new set of regenerations previously?

I wondered how they'd explain the Master's revival. You're right, he was out of regenerations in Doctor #4's era. He took over Tremas' body in Keeper of Traken, and kept it through the end of McCoy's era. His appearance in the McGann movie wasn't properly explained. We didn't see a good closeup of his face (actor Gordon Whipple) in the pre-title sequence before he was exterminated.

He took over Eric Roberts' body via some sort of death takeover thing. THat wasn't fully explained, and was fairly hokey, but they did at least mention on screen that he would die if he didn't find a better permanent host body. The Roberts Master died when he fell into the Eye of Harmony in the Tardis (and I don't want to get into the arguments over THAT, either).

So OK. I wondered how they would explain it, and what surprised me is that the explanation was SO SIMPLE, yet works perfectly. John Simm's Master explains in the cel phone conversation with the Doctor how he was brought back (you weren't paying attention, were you? <g>). Anyway, he said "..when the Time Lords revived me to fight in the Time War....". So he apparently was dead at the end of the McGann movie. Since it was established that the Time Lords can grant a "complete new life cycle" in the Five Doctors (and thereby granting a Time Lord immortality, but I don't want to get into THAT either), one has to assume that might be how (or at least was partially involved) in them reviving the Master.

Since there's no known established plot points as to what happens to a Time Lord when brought back from the dead, one has to figure the "12 regenerations/13 incarnations" rule is out the window.

We don't know if Derek Jacobi's Master was in that regeneration still from the time he was.. "An orphan in the storm. I was a naked child, found on the coast of the Silver Devastation. Abandoned, with only this." It's confusing - I have some thoughts, but am too tired to wrap my head around it now. Anyway, one has to assume the Master has a total new set of regenerations as part of his being revived. How many have been used are unknown, really - we have Jacobi & Simm. Was the Jacobi master the same one? Or if he was found "as a child" with the watch, was there another one that was revived? Unknown, it's all speculation.

Mountain Man
10-02-2007, 09:28 AM
That may be the reality of the thing, but you should know Who fans. They try and make everything work. Like me, but I usually have plausible explanations.
Well, the practical side of me just accepts that some things will never have a plausible or consistent explanation and to simply accept the reality of the situation.

I know, what fun is that, right? ;)

Joe Siegler
10-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh, I've never much made anything of the Romana thing, either. I was always in the camp of "OH come, on it's a bit of naff fun". But then events happened during the 10th Doctor's run that fit the circumstances, so why not apply 'em? :)

Dave-ros
10-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Nice post, Joe -- almost as good as it was in the Post Thread :eek: :o :p

Presumably when the Time Lords revived him, they gave him a new set of regenerations... one wonders how many he used up during the Time War -- it might have gotten like what happened to the Doctor in The Curse of the Fatal Death :p

Joe Siegler
10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Post thread was me trying to fix the long post problem. Remember when I said odd posts by me might be in there?

Anyway, Fatal Death doesn't count - but point taken.

Dave-ros
10-02-2007, 01:51 PM
When you said "odd posts", I thought you meant they'd be bizarre, rather than "normal" but out of place -- but fair point ;)

Joe Siegler
10-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Sontarans in Series 4!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/10/02/49473.shtml

supermeerkat
10-02-2007, 05:29 PM
^^^excellent news! It'd be expecting too much to see the Rutabs again, wouldn't :)

Joe Siegler
10-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, the Rutans were only seen once, and it was a rather bad special effect. :)

supermeerkat
10-03-2007, 03:58 AM
It was "The horror of fang rock", and they looked like tennis balls covered in snot, that had been squashed. I still liked 'em though.

Dave-ros
10-03-2007, 04:29 AM
No reason the new version of the show can't do 'em better :p

There was a "Missing Adventure" novel -- can't recall the title, but it featured the war between the Sontarans and Rutans as seen from a Hindu colony, with the 5th Doctor and Turlough, and it featured a nice load of description about the Rutans, their beautiful crystalline ships etc. Wonder if that'll continue to be their ship design in the new series, or if the Beeb will go for something dull and utilitarian. As long as they keep the golfball-shaped Sontaran ships ;)

supermeerkat
10-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Apparently the new series's Daleks all have a unique code on them (http://blog.tokash.org/2006/07/09/dalek-id-tags-in-seasons-27-and-28-of-doctor-who-the-new-series/).

Warning: this link contains severe geekery.

Dave-ros
10-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Hmm, that certainly blows away my theory that the Dalek in "Dalek" was the one that teleported away at the end of the New York double-episode :doh:

Joe Siegler
10-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Hmm, that certainly blows away my theory that the Dalek in "Dalek" was the one that teleported away at the end of the New York double-episode :doh:

No, that would put the Dalek storyline in a circle. Besides, the one in Dalek was stated it came from the Time War, and implied it came straight FROM the Time War, so I have serious doubts about your theory.

I'm pretty convinced the next time we see the Daleks, Dalek Thay will temporal shift and find Davros to rebuild the race.

Dave-ros
10-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Putting the Dalek storyline in a circle was my whole point, i.e. it would have been a clever idea -- but obviously it would also mean no more Dalek stories, and hence no more merchandising :p

supermeerkat
10-03-2007, 12:21 PM
not to mention the bbc's biggest ratings puller.

Joe Siegler
10-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Any of you guys watching the Sarah Jane Adventures? There's been four episodes so far. Without getting too spoilerish..

It's definitely a kids show. But it's not without merit, and it is watchable. Plus it's Sarah Jane. It's actually fairly fun, but very much on the light side.

They mentioned the Sontarans in Episode 3, with Sarah Jane and the other character that mentioned them saying they looked like potatoes. That was pretty funny. :)

supermeerkat
10-13-2007, 09:08 AM
I completely forgot about that, thanks for the reminder - I'll go have a nosey!

ShadeEX
10-14-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm whatching my first ever Doctor Who episode now

EDIT: :doh: Ups confused Doctors it was acually the Ninth Doctor "Christopher Eccleston"

Season 1, Episode 2: The End of the World

I've always been curious about this show, and since they are showing an episode now, I thought it would be worth whatching..

Dave-ros
10-14-2007, 08:39 AM
That's Eccleston, surely? :o

ShadeEX
10-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Definatly was interesting seeing Doctor Who.. I liked it..

I can definatly see myself getting some Docter Who DVDs now..

Dave-ros
10-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Note that the "classic" series is a bit stylistically different to the new version from 2005 onwards, although it changed itself over the years. One major difference is, back in the 1963-1989 version, each story was divided into weekly installments, whereas now it's taken on the American episodic format, with occasional 2- or 3-parters ;)

supermeerkat
10-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Definatly was interesting seeing Doctor Who.. I liked it..

I can definatly see myself getting some Docter Who DVDs now..

Excellent! You're in for a treat.

However, I'd like to offer you a few words of caution concerning the Classic Series of Doctor Who (1963 to 1989, BW to colour, 8 "different" Doctors) when compated to the Modern Series (David Tennant, Christopher Ecclestone, 2004 and onwards). The Classic Series is very much a product of its time, and as such needs to be viewed with a few things in mind.

The classic series when compared to the modern series can seem a little "threadbare" and, some might say "low budget" or "cheap". A number of my friends have mentioned this, and found it to be a major turn off.
Also, styles of acting have changed considerably since the CS ended, consequently some people say it is "hammed up" or "badly acted".
Padding out is another common complaint: early Doctor Who, had a considerable number of 6, 8 or 10 part stores that today would be a 2 to 4 parter: this is a common complaint amongst Who fans, not to mention the casual viewer.
Quality of direction makes some Who, especially the early stuff, seem primitive, or leaden.
Changing social attitudes now make some Who seem slightly racist or sexist, even though it was not intended at the time.Needless to say all of the above is my own opinion. When I've introduced friends to DW, these have been the common "complaints".

Just something to bear in mind when you have 40+ years of material to choose from. I love Doctor Who, and am certainly not knocking it.

Dave-ros
10-14-2007, 05:47 PM
They had to pad it out a bit back then, so they could justify the sets :p

ShadeEX
10-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Excellent! You're in for a treat.

However, I'd like to offer you a few words of caution concerning the Classic Series of Doctor Who (1963 to 1989, BW to colour, 8 "different" Doctors) when compated to the Modern Series (David Tennant, Christopher Ecclestone, 2004 and onwards). The Classic Series is very much a product of its time, and as such needs to be viewed with a few things in mind.

The classic series when compared to the modern series can seem a little "threadbare" and, some might say "low budget" or "cheap". A number of my friends have mentioned this, and found it to be a major turn off.
Also, styles of acting have changed considerably since the CS ended, consequently some people say it is "hammed up" or "badly acted".
Padding out is another common complaint: early Doctor Who, had a considerable number of 6, 8 or 10 part stores that today would be a 2 to 4 parter: this is a common complaint amongst Who fans, not to mention the casual viewer.
Quality of direction makes some Who, especially the early stuff, seem primitive, or leaden.
Changing social attitudes now make some Who seem slightly racist or sexist, even though it was not intended at the time.Needless to say all of the above is my own opinion. When I've introduced friends to DW, these have been the common "complaints".

Just something to bear in mind when you have 40+ years of material to choose from. I love Doctor Who, and am certainly not knocking it.

Yeah I figured as much.. Times were different back then..

Good thing I like old movies.. Even movies that some may call cheap by todays standarts..

I even watch a Danish show called Planet X dedicated to very old BAD movies..
As the Planet X slogan goes "There doesn't exsist any bad movies on Planet X"

An example of bad movie shown on Planet X:

Reptilicus (1961) (The Danish answer to Godzilla)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056405/

supermeerkat
10-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Reptilicus (1961) (The Danish answer to Godzilla)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056405/

That looks great!

ShadeEX
10-15-2007, 02:46 PM
That looks great!

There's an english dubbed version, that's also re-cut to better fit the american market..

If your interested..

It's has similarities with Ed Wood's works some say, meaning that they are considered equally bad..

I haven't personally got my hands on this yet.. So I can't really give an oppinion .

Also more on topic, I've begun looking for Doctor Who Boxsets here in Denmark.

EDIT:
Bummer only the Ninth Doctor has been released with Danish subs..

Ahh well I'll manage..

QuiGonJ
10-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Just to chime in, we finished the recon of "The Wheel in Space"! roughly 300 pics, combined from the BBC site, caps from the two existing episodes and mixed with the Australian censor clips and the two existing episodes in the right place.

We showed the first half last month at the Time Meddlers of Los Angeles meeting, and will show the rest this Sunday, I think.

Joe Siegler
10-16-2007, 01:50 AM
If you're a new who fan, be careful in this thread, since it's seriously full of spoilers, all over the place. :)

Mountain Man
10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Any word on this year's Children in Need special? Or is that over and done with and I totally missed it?

Dave-ros
10-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Hasn't happened yet -- adverts on TV for the charity event itself, but haven't seen anything specific about the Doctor Who special, if there even is one ;)

ShadeEX
10-16-2007, 12:15 PM
If you're a new who fan, be careful in this thread, since it's seriously full of spoilers, all over the place. :)

I will Joe..

I found a place where they have all of them. English versions though but I'll manage.. :D

Mountain Man
10-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Hasn't happened yet -- adverts on TV for the charity event itself, but haven't seen anything specific about the Doctor Who special, if there even is one ;)
Ah, well, O.K. I was just curious if there was any truth to the rumors of Peter Davison reprising his role.

Dave-ros
10-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I'll post here as soon as I know anything -- unless someone else already had :o

Children in Need generally seems to happen in November, so we've got a bit of time ;)

supermeerkat
10-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Just to chime in, we finished the recon of "The Wheel in Space"! roughly 300 pics, combined from the BBC site, caps from the two existing episodes and mixed with the Australian censor clips and the two existing episodes in the right place.

We showed the first half last month at the Time Meddlers of Los Angeles meeting, and will show the rest this Sunday, I think.

When are you getting it online? I'd love to see it.

Joe Siegler
10-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Any word on this year's Children in Need special? Or is that over and done with and I totally missed it?

Nothing yet. Just some stories by the Sun, and that's not exactly trustworthy.

Would be cool if it happened, but I'm not putting a lot of weight behind it. My money is on Davison as one of those emergency recordings we saw with Tennant and Eccelston in a few episodes.

Mountain Man
10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Went on another spending spree recently. I ordered "The Seeds of Death" (Patrick Troughton), "Time Flight" and "The Arc of Infinity" (Peter Davison), and "Survival" (Sylvester McCoy). Got my order of "Seeds of Death" and "Survival" this morning ("Time Flight" and "Arc of Infinity" won't be released until November.). That leaves Colin Baker as the only classic Doctor I don't have on DVD.

Looking forward to watching them. "Survival" especially looks to have some great special features.

supermeerkat
10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
^^^ "Seeds of Death" is a gem! Watch that one first!

Dave-ros
10-17-2007, 01:11 PM
A rough diamond, perhaps -- oh, I still remember finding that on video back in 1995 and watching it that evening, after a fairly depressing day at school... (yes, I was at school as recently as the mid-1990s :tinyted:)

supermeerkat
10-17-2007, 01:58 PM
You're only three years younger than me, and I left school in 1991.

Mountain Man
10-17-2007, 02:01 PM
^^^ "Seeds of Death" is a gem! Watch that one first!
That's the plan. :D I feel like I'm rediscovering Patrick Troughton for the first time simply because so few of his stories remain and it has been close to 20-years since I've last seen them. I actually don't remember anything about "The Seeds of Death", so it'll be fun to watch it.

(By the way, I graduated from college in 1993, so that gives you some idea how old I am.)

supermeerkat
10-19-2007, 06:02 PM
I see nothing came of those "Web of Fear" rumours. It was what I expected, but is still upsetting. Here's to hoping.....

Mountain Man
10-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Just finished watching "The Seeds of Death". The reason I don't remember much about that story is because I don't think I've ever seen it before, so it was actually a rare treat to watch a classic story for the first time.

"Seeds" is basically a light weight corridor romp with surprisingly well written and well acted characters, and the Episode 4 cliffhanger is spellbinding (an Ice Warrior bearing down on poor Zoe who screams for help and has no where to run!). While the general plot is solid enough and makes sense for the most part, it has very little depth to it. There are really no subplots or side stories, just the primary story arch. That said, the story never drug or became a chore to watch. The directing and some of the editing, on the other hand, was largely uninspired and downright sloppy in some places.

Not the greatest story, but well worth watching for its solid acting and interesting characters.

Joe Siegler
10-20-2007, 12:59 PM
BTW, the Children in Need episode was formally announced. It was claimed to be a "very special Doctor Who Episode".

Rumour on the net is that it's the multi Doctor thing with Peter Davison. We shall see.

Big question now is how LONG it will be. The CiN thing which was the first "story" with David Tennant was 7 minutes long. It was billed as a "mini episode". How long CiN 2007 is nobody seems to know yet.

The thinking is that it will be inside the Tardis, and will be Tennant running around trying to repair the damage from the Titanic "puncture", and he'll talk to an emergency hologram representation of the fifth doctor (like we've seen Eccleston & Tennant appear in). It'll have some witty and combative dialogue, and when it's over, it will lead into the Christmas Episode.

This is all rumour of course, but seems to fit. We'll find out soon enough.

The BBC Press Office has confirmed the long-standing rumours that this year's annual televised Children in Need fundraising night on BBC One will contain what is described as "a very special episode of Doctor Who".

No further details have yet been released. This year's telethon is on the evening of Friday 16th November, live on BBC One from 7pm.

Dave-ros
10-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Oh ha ha, Emergency Medical Hologram, a.k.a. the Doctor -- I wonder if Robert Picardo will have a cameo :hhg:

Joe Siegler
10-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Oh ha ha, Emergency Medical Hologram, a.k.a. the Doctor -- I wonder if Robert Picardo will have a cameo :hhg:

I take your joke, but... We have seen the thing used in Eccleston's final episode, as well as in Blink with Tennant. Precedent exists.

The theory is that if he needed to consult some database of old Tardis information, that it would bring up himself so he could consult another Time Lord mind. Perhaps the damage to the ship would be the reason why his fifth incarnation appeared (and didn't look exactly right, which could explain Davison's aging) and why the tenth didn't appear.

It's also been reported that Colin Baker was visiting on set in Cardiff not too long agoy too. Who knows? :)

Mountain Man
10-21-2007, 06:39 AM
So it'd be a multi-Doctor story without actually being a multi-Doctor story. Interesting.

QuiGonJ
10-21-2007, 09:35 AM
supermeerkat, I have been trying to figure out how to get a copy to you. We aren't uploading it, since we aren't sure how, the quality would suffer greatly anyway, and it would be a copyright violation. (Yes, Joe, we are interested in respecting copyright.)

The only "legal" way to distribute, from what we have seen, is via VHS. The BBC isn't too worried about a lossy copy made, from what we saw at the Loose Cannon recons site. But if I make you a copy, at least it would be from a digital master. I'd be happy to do that for ya if you send me your address.

Mountain Man
10-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Just finished watching "The Robots of Death". A great story that stood well on its own. There were times during Tom Baker's tenure when he was forced to carry a story with nothing but the force of his personality, but this wasn't one of them. It was a large cast (at least at first; I mean, look at the story title!), but each character was well acted and genuinely compelling, and the plot was generally solid, though exactly how the Doctor figured everything out is unclear. He just suddenly showed up in one scene with all the answers. I also really liked the robot designs. They looked like works of art, and their eternally calm voices made them all the more creepy ("I must kill all humans. Please do not resist.").

Definitely one of Baker's best but mostly because of the writing and directing. Really, you could have put any Doctor in this story and it would have been just as good.

Joe Siegler
10-21-2007, 11:19 PM
The only "legal" way to distribute, from what we have seen, is via VHS. The BBC isn't too worried about a lossy copy made, from what we saw at the Loose Cannon recons site. But if I make you a copy, at least it would be from a digital master. I'd be happy to do that for ya if you send me your address.

That's not technically legal, either. It's just something they're not paying attention to. But to claim it's "legal" is incorrect. But let's not get into that here, PLEASE?

Joe Siegler
10-21-2007, 11:24 PM
The Children in Need 2007 episode has been formally announced now. It's going to go out on Friday evening November 16th. It's a "mini episode", so it's not a full length thing. How long it actually is is as of yet unknown, but...

The CiN thing from 2005 which was the first screen "story" for Tennant and bridged Parting of the Ways & Christmas Invasion was a "mini episode" as well, and ran seven minutes.

Links:

1) Official BBC Announcement (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/10/21/50016.shtml) (Has a pic of Docs 5 & 10, see "Desktop Wallpaper" link at bottom)

2) The Sun story (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article369972.ece) - Has no real "story" there at all, but does have a second picture.

My theory on what will happen: After the crash of the Titanic, Doc 10 needs to repair the Tardis hull breach. If he needed to consult some database of old Tardis information, that it would bring up himself so he could consult another Time Lord mind. Perhaps the damage to the ship would be the reason why his fifth incarnation appeared (and didn't look exactly right, which could explain Davison's aging) and why the tenth didn't appear. After it gets fixed, Doc 5's hologram thing disappears, and then Doc 10 goes into the Titanic story on Christmas.

Mountain Man
10-22-2007, 05:28 AM
So Davison has been confirmed! Awesome! \o/

Joe Siegler
10-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Hard to miss it now.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9513/dwm389og9.jpg

Mountain Man
10-22-2007, 02:27 PM
:woot:

I love that cover! Can't wait for November!

I wonder what it was like for Tennant to work with one of the classics?

supermeerkat
10-22-2007, 02:42 PM
^^^ I expect we'll find out soon enough: DT is one of those gushing, effusive type of actors.

Dave-ros
10-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Hmm, Doctor Who Magazine has taken to covering part of the title with cover images, so you can't quite tell what the magazine is called... reminds me of Future Publishing's SFX, a magazine about sci-fi, but where the cover image always seems to be covering the bottom of the "F", so you almost think it says SEX :o

Have seen mention of this on children's TV today (hey, I got home early :p) -- just a pity the silly woman referred to the previous Doctor as "Peter Davidson". I'm surprised she didn't really dumb down and say, "He was the Doctor back before you were born, in a long-ago period called the 1980s!" :doh:

Joe Siegler
10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Uh, the magazine's name is "Doctor Who Magazine". :)

Dave-ros
10-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Yes I know :p, but if you saw it on a shelf and didn't know what it was already, you might have trouble figuring it out. Though if you're a Doctor Who fan, you can still see the show's title and actors, so you'd buy it anyway and exact title be damned :o

Mountain Man
10-22-2007, 07:23 PM
"Doctor Who AZ? No way I'm buying that! No telling what it might be!"

Anyway, while Joe's emergency hologram theory has a good chance of being correct (and presents the opportunity for some funny dialog; "Oh, so this is like what Sally Sparrow did!" "Who?" "Never mind... you'll find out.") I'm hoping we get to see a real flesh-and-blood Doc 5 instead of a virtual Doc 5.

Joe Siegler
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
"Doctor Who AZ? No way I'm buying that! No telling what it might be!"

That made me laugh. :)

Joe Siegler
10-31-2007, 07:44 AM
http://www.myspace.com/silvascreenrecords

Song from the new Christmas Special has been released (streaming) on this page. It will be on the S3 soundtrack CD which comes out next week in the UK.

supermeerkat
11-01-2007, 07:30 AM
supermeerkat, I have been trying to figure out how to get a copy to you. We aren't uploading it, since we aren't sure how, the quality would suffer greatly anyway, and it would be a copyright violation. (Yes, Joe, we are interested in respecting copyright.)

I don't have a video recorder anympre - when I last moved house I got rid of it as it had been gathering dust for about 18 months. Oh well.

Joe Siegler
11-03-2007, 09:55 PM
New pictures! Donna, Martha, and the new Sontarans!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/sontarans/

supermeerkat
11-04-2007, 04:51 AM
New pictures! Donna, Martha, and the new Sontarans!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/sontarans/

I like the new sontaran - an update of the original, rather than a complete redesign. Still can't get past the fact catherine tate is in it - i really dislike that woman. I still haven't watched the runaway bride.

The Dukenator
11-04-2007, 05:42 AM
http://www.uselesscreations.com/drwho/ - Dr Who screensaver if you're interested.

Joe Siegler
11-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Still can't get past the fact catherine tate is in it - i really dislike that woman. I still haven't watched the runaway bride.

You really should get over it. She's in all of Series 4, so it's unavoidable. ;)

If she was just in RB, then I could understand avoiding it, as it's a standalone story. But since she is in all of S4, you might as well watch it. There are some fun bits in it.

Runaway Bride starts off with her yelling and screaming all the time, but by the time it finishes, she's nothing like that. To me, Tate is a nobody. I know she's known in the UK, but for me here, I had never seen her, so she's just "another unknown woman".

On the positive side, she has enormous boobs. :)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k274/lucy_who/ctateDM2005_468x577.jpg

supermeerkat
11-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Hmmmm boobies! I will be watching DW when it returns, but i'll be thinking of Christopher Ecclestone amd other, better assistants.

Dave-ros
11-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Like Captain Jack? :hhg:

supermeerkat
11-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Don't tell Mrs Supermeerkat!;)

supermeerkat
11-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Is it just me, or do the funny looks the Doctor and the gang are giving the Sontaran, have the look of a office-type comedy promo about it?

I'm imagining the Sontaran is the Doctor's new Boss, and hilarity ensues time and time again due to personality clashes between the Sontaran's ruthless warrior ethics and the Doctor's madcap personality.To further spice things up, Tte Sontaran has a secret crush of FA, who has a crush on DT, whislt CT has a crush on the Sontaran who has no interest in her whatsoever. This stuff practically writes itself.....

Mountain Man
11-05-2007, 09:46 PM
I like the new sontaran - an update of the original, rather than a complete redesign.
Looks like a fat Ferengi.

----------

On the positive side, she has enormous boobs. :)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k274/lucy_who/ctateDM2005_468x577.jpg
:eek:

supermeerkat
11-06-2007, 06:05 AM
Looks like a fat Ferengi.

Are we looking at the same picture?

Joe Siegler
11-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I think he's talking about the new Sontarans.

Mountain Man
11-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Are we looking at the same picture?
Joe is right. My "fat Ferengi" comment was about the updated Sontarans and not Katherine Tate, who I think is quite attractive. However, I can see why my post may have been confusing.

supermeerkat
11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
It made coke come out of my nose.

Joe Siegler
11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I just got the S3 box set. There's a sequence of bloopers and deleted scenes in there. Some of the deleted scene stuff is great.

Especially from human nature. They show the raw recording of the "list of steps" the Doctor leaves for Martha. Most of it is gibberish - the first few and the last one are real, but most of the stuff in the middle is not. Tennant says "I have to move my mouth for about a minute non stop", and then goes on about concerts he went to as a kid.

Also says something out "Don't let me eat pears. I hate pears. John Smith is a character I made up, but I won't know that, and try and do something stupid like eat a pear".

Quite amusing.

supermeerkat
11-07-2007, 12:43 PM
^^^ I love that kind of trivia. My birthday is coming up, and Mrs Supermeerkat has been asking me what I want....

Joe Siegler
11-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Any of you guys who live in the UK, and have access to the mags like Radio Times and the Doctor Who mag and all that...

Do any of them that preview Time Crash tell you how LONG the thing is? It's 9 days from now, and I'm surprised we haven't found out the running time FOR A FACT.

I've seen a ton of speculation from 5 to 7 minutes to 30 minutes, to 45.. But nothing factual and concrete.

Dave-ros
11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't get the Radio Times, but their website (linkage (http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=92&programmeId=69443390&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_popup.jsp)) calls it a "scene"... so I imagine, probably the same length as last year :o

It gets worse: John Barrowman singing! :eek:

DOSGuy
11-07-2007, 04:22 PM
So the Doctor has two beautiful assistants now? For a guy who supposedly isn't into humans, he sure has a thing for women.

Joe Siegler
11-07-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't get the Radio Times, but their website (linkage (http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=92&programmeId=69443390&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_popup.jsp)) calls it a "scene"... so I imagine, probably the same length as last year :o

I'll take that. The CiN thing from last year was an hour long.

But I've seen things that call it a scene, some say episode, hence my stating "nothing official" earlier.

So the Doctor has two beautiful assistants now? For a guy who supposedly isn't into humans, he sure has a thing for women.

So? That's happened multiple times in the show's past.

Dave-ros
11-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Only two-and-a-half times to my recollection -- Barbara and Susan/Vicki, and Tegan and Nyssa. Unless you count Mel and Ace being in the same story :p

However, as I've said previously, there's been almost no times that the Doctor's travelled with just a male companion -- whenever he bade goodbye to one female companion, another joined in the next story! Must be his aftershave :hhg:

Joe Siegler
11-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Male companions are rare as it is. Male only is even rarer. Off the top of my head...

Stephen Taylor for a short while with Doc #1
Turlough with Doc #5 for part of a story

But point taken. You could make a case for both of these examples being invalid, too.

Women...

Susan/Barbara
Vicki/Barbara
Nyssa/Teegan
Mel/Ace (only one story as you pointed out)

You're right - not as common as you expect. And if you believe the rumours...

There will be three at once with Rose returning in the last three episodes of Series 4 like Jack did this most recent series. That would make Martha, Donna, & Rose all at once.

Mister_Anderson
11-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Don't know if you guys have seen this, but the middle of the list of do's & don'ts the Doctor made for Martha in Human Nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuuyQFKunr8

Oh the lulz!

Dave-ros
11-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Is the Doctor setting up a harem?!?!? :o

^ M_A: Lolz0rd indeed :D

Mountain Man
11-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Male companions are rare as it is. Male only is even rarer. Off the top of my head...

Stephen Taylor for a short while with Doc #1
Turlough with Doc #5 for part of a story
Doc #4 and Adric in two stories: The Keeper of Traken and Logopolis (Tegan and Nyssa didn't officially join the TARDIS crew until Castrovalva).

And if you believe the rumours...

There will be three at once with Rose returning in the last three episodes of Series 4 like Jack did this most recent series. That would make Martha, Donna, & Rose all at once.
Here's hoping the rumors are untrue. It would also contradict things Davies had earlier said about the character.

----------

Don't know if you guys have seen this, but the middle of the list of do's & don'ts the Doctor made for Martha in Human Nature:

Oh the lulz!
What's truly inspired is that he stayed in character the whole time.

Joe Siegler
11-08-2007, 09:46 AM

Oh the lulz!

That's from the S3 set. I already mentioned that a few posts up. :)

Mister_Anderson
11-08-2007, 05:00 PM
:doh:

So you did....that'll learn me for not reading up first before posting!

Joe Siegler
11-12-2007, 12:14 PM
The official site says that on Friday when Time Crash airs, there will be a special episode of Dr Who Confidential about Time Crash available only online.

Hopefully it airs on TV somewhere, as the BBC and streaming video generally means crappy quality. Plus with me not being in the UK, I have to go through major hoops to see it.

Mountain Man
11-12-2007, 03:30 PM
I have yet to watch a single episode of "Confidential".

Joe Siegler
11-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Mountain Man = t7h sUxx0r! :)

Mountain Man
11-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Honestly, I just can't be bothered to go through the hassle of...ahem..."acquiring" it.

supermeerkat
11-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Just seen a tiny clip of the Children In Need Doctor Who special: PD is flesh and blood, not a hologram as has been thought. We see a clip of DT grabbing PD's cheeks (on his face ;) )

Joe Siegler
11-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Just seen a tiny clip of the Children In Need Doctor Who special: PD is flesh and blood, not a hologram as has been thought. We see a clip of DT grabbing PD's cheeks (on his face ;) )

Where did you see that? It's not on youtube.

And MM - YOU SUCK! What kind of Who fan are you? ;)

Mountain Man
11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
:woot: You go, Doc 5! You show that cheeky bastard who's boss!

----------

And MM - YOU SUCK! What kind of Who fan are you? ;)
The kind who doesn't watch Confidential apparently. :D

Joe Siegler
11-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Saw the trailer. The Dr Who bit was just about two seconds. Blink and you miss it. (No "Blink" joke intended).

:woot: You go, Doc 5! You show that cheeky bastard who's boss!

http://i6.tinypic.com/71naiow.gif

http://i2.tinypic.com/6sjjiqb.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/6uht4b9.jpg

And then there's this (http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/bugs_nixon/CELERYZ.jpg). Oh dear.

Finally, two (http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/tennant05/a1/tc1.jpg) more (http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/tennant05/a1/tc2.jpg) promo pictures I hadn't seen before.

I bet you Doc 5's hat stays on most of the time - helps keep the receding hair more hidden. ;)

The kind who doesn't watch Confidential apparently. :D

Forgot about that. You suck TWICE for two totally different sucky reasons!

Mountain Man
11-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Oh... I read it as "PD pinches DT's cheeks". :(

Forgot about that. You suck TWICE for two totally different sucky reasons!
What's got you so giddy, anyway? You guys about to announce a DNF release date or something?

Dave-ros
11-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Damn, if I hadn't been busy last night, I'd have dropped the bomshell about Doctor no.5 being in the Children in Need trailer with Doctor no.10 massaging his cheeks :tinyted:

Joe Siegler
11-15-2007, 12:04 PM
What's got you so giddy, anyway?

You're not seriously asking me that are you? I mean honestly - what thread is this? What is happening tomorrow?

Mountain Man
11-15-2007, 01:04 PM
You're not seriously asking me that are you? I mean honestly - what thread is this? What is happening tomorrow?
You know, I have the distinct impression that my particular brand of (very dry) humor is sometimes lost on you. Then again my wife doesn't always get it either.

supermeerkat
11-15-2007, 01:04 PM
I bet you Doc 5's hat stays on most of the time - helps keep the receding hair more hidden. ;)!

I bet it does too! I wonder if his age will be acknowledged?

I'm rather excited by this as it's the first time the new series has directly acknowledged a classic series Doctor. Also, I'm interested to see how PD plays the Doctor 25 years later - will he be the same youthful energetic optimistic or will age have mellowed him?

Damn, if I hadn't been busy last night, I'd have dropped the bomshell about Doctor no.5 being in the Children in Need trailer with Doctor no.10 massaging his cheeks :tinyted:

The cheeks on his face, remember? ;)

Mountain Man
11-15-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm rather excited by this as it's the first time the new series has directly acknowledged a classic series Doctor.
You forgot about "The Journal of Impossible Things" in "Human Nature".

Also, I'm interested to see how PD plays the Doctor 25 years later - will he be the same youthful energetic optimistic or will age have mellowed him?
That will be interesting.

Joe Siegler
11-15-2007, 01:22 PM
You know, I have the distinct impression that my particular brand of (very dry) humor is sometimes lost on you. Then again my wife doesn't always get it either.

Had you included a smiley, I probably would have taken it as a joke.

I bet it does too! I wonder if his age will be acknowledged?

It's supposed to be via a couple word throwaway from what I've read. It's obvious he doesn't look like he used to (especially in the promotional pictures), but that quickie shot doesn't look all that bad, all things considered.

I'm rather excited by this as it's the first time the new series has directly acknowledged a classic series Doctor.

That would be incorrect. Docs 1-8 were referenced on screen as was mentioned in Human Nature this past series. How could you forget this? ;)

Check out this post of mine (http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php?p=541852&postcount=237) from earlier up in the thread. Also check out this page (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes/2007/flash/homepages/309.shtml) on the BBC site.

Also, I'm interested to see how PD plays the Doctor 25 years later - will he be the same youthful energetic optimistic or will age have mellowed him?

Well, if Davison is an actor, he'd do what's written. Guess it depends on how Doc 5's role was written. In terms of the character, he would likely have been extracted from his section of his timeline which means he's still the same Doctor.. I guess we need to wait and see what's said tomorrow about that.

Dave-ros
11-15-2007, 01:22 PM
In one of Joe's publicity shots, Davison looks really old -- possibly because he's got glasses and a hunch. In the second, it's hard to tell he's not stepped out of the TARDIS from the 1980s!

Mountain Man
11-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Had you included a smiley, I probably would have taken it as a joke.
Ah, well, I just assumed with it being a reasonably absurd non sequitur that you'd spot it as a joke straight away.

Joe Siegler
11-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Serious: You don't watch Confidential, so I couldn't be sure it wasn't another "WTF is with that?"

Mountain Man
11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Well for one thing, Confidential tends to be a bit spoilery from what I've heard, and I have had an absolute blast watching each new episode of Doctor Who while knowing little more about it than what is revealed in the previous week's trailer. It's actually a rare treat in this age of information overload.

Dave-ros
11-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Condfidential is supposed to be on after the episode it concerns :hhg:

Joe Siegler
11-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Not supposed to be... It IS on after.

Confidential has been on BBC3 immediately following each episode. It's not spoilery at all. It's an absolutely perfect companion piece, showing you what went into what you just watched. That's why I don't understand it. At first I thought it was an aversion to making of stuff in the first place, but if it's not that, then I don't understand not watching it.

Even when I was watching something like the conf for Daleks in Manhattan, they gave away next to nothing about Evolution. And what they did was really super minor stuff - less than what you'd get in these forums. And even THAT was all self contained in the "next time on confidential"

In the ones for Utopia/Sound of Drums, you got nothing for Last of the Time Lords.

In the one for Drums or LotTL (forget which) there was a great bit about John Simm talking about how his kid was a fan of Doctor Who, and they showed a short clip of Simm with his kid on the Tardis set. There was a lot of setup with Jacobi and Simm and the regeneration - I mean this is all GREAT STUFF.

In the one for Gridlock, they used the lone existing clip from the Macra Terror. Loved that. In the one for Utopia (I think), they had bits with Ainley, Delgado, & Roberts (as well as the guys playing the burnt versions of the Master). "Bits" being clips and whatnot, Ainley & Delgado can't give new interviews, obviously.

There was a confidential shown before the "Rose" episode aired, kind of a setup of the classic series to that point. Showed that RTD knew his history of the show, no doubt about that.

The only thing that sucks is that on the DVD's, they're much shorter. The reason for that is the rights regarding all the old series clips and things they use - those can't be on the DVD's for some legal reason. Probably money.

I really don't understand the aversion to confidential. The "spoiler" thing is a total non issue.

BTW, Torchwood had the same thing. Their version was called "Torchwood Declassified" and is much shorter. The Confs for Dr WHo are frequently the same length as the actual episodes themselves. The ones for Torchwood are usually under 10 minutes.

supermeerkat
11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
That would be incorrect. Docs 1-8 were referenced on screen as was mentioned in Human Nature this past series. How could you forget this? ;)

I'm sorry - I've embarrassed myself. I'll get my coat :(

Dave-ros
11-15-2007, 05:20 PM
In your defence, this is the first time it's been brought home that there are previous Doctors, as we see one in the flesh (assuming he's not a "hard light" hologram?), rather than just a drawing in a book...

supermeerkat
11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
How very kind of you. Which is what I was getting at in my original post. It was a shame I didn't actually say that...

Joe Siegler
11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
In your defence, this is the first time it's been brought home that there are previous Doctors, as we see one in the flesh (assuming he's not a "hard light" hologram?), rather than just a drawing in a book...

"In the flesh", yes certainly.

But not the first time. There was another reference to previous doctors (albeit very subtly) in "The End of the World", the second episode.

Dave-ros
11-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Exactly, subtle again -- this makes it crystal-clear!

Incidentally, could you please remind me what the reference in "The End of the World" was? Pity it wasn't something like, "An earlier me is on a space ark out there, bound for Refusis!" ;)

Mountain Man
11-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Confidential has been on BBC3 immediately following each episode. It's not spoilery at all. It's an absolutely perfect companion piece, showing you what went into what you just watched.
Hmmm... perhaps I've misjudged it. Based on general chatter at Outpost Gallifrey, I had gathered the impression that they gave away little secrets and other bits of information about future episodes during Confidential.

Maybe I'll have to make an effort to catch it this time around just to see what I've been missing.

Joe Siegler
11-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Incidentally, could you please remind me what the reference in "The End of the World" was? Pity it wasn't something like, "An earlier me is on a space ark out there, bound for Refusis!" ;)

When what's her name, the tree woman took a picture of the Doctor, and then scanned him - figuring out he was a Time Lord..

The scanner display had nine strands of something (DNA?) - RTD (or someone on the commentary) pointed out that it was intended to be a subtle indicator of his previous lives.

supermeerkat
11-16-2007, 06:31 AM
I came across this (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thebatgranny/mcg.htm). It's supposedly a synopses of the scripts that would have been used for a 1996 series if the PM Movie had been successful.

Thoughts, anyone?

Mountain Man
11-16-2007, 07:41 AM
I came across this (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thebatgranny/mcg.htm). It's supposedly a synopses of the scripts that would have been used for a 1996 series if the PM Movie had been successful.

Thoughts, anyone?
It's plausible that they'd want to mine the more successful and popular stories from the past. I don't know how true any of that is, but it certainly would have been interesting to see how an American production would have handled the show.

Edit: The reimagining of the Cybermen is actually really interesting. They're described as "tribal cybernetic hunters, scavenging parts wherever they could find them."

It's also curious that the show was apparently planned as a clean reboot rather than a continuation of the classic series. The first episode was to explain exactly why the Doctor left Gallifrey and that his motive for traveling around in the TARDIS was to try and find his long lost father.

Joe Siegler
11-16-2007, 10:20 AM
That sounds like stuff from the "Last of the Time Lords" THEATRICAL MOVIE attempts. Not the McGann movie.

You really need to read this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007120257/73407921) before you think further along these lines. It talks an awful awful lot about this stuff. There's another one that I can't think of the title of at the moment that talks a lot about aborted attempts at revivals inbetween Survival and the McGann movie.

Joe Siegler
11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Read where Time Crash is "supposed" to be on between 8 and 8:30PM local time in the UK.

supermeerkat
11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't imagine you'll have to wait for too long before you get the chance to watch it. God bless the internet and it's many nerds!

Joe Siegler
11-16-2007, 11:08 AM
I've also read that the events of Time Crash take place DURING the last episode.

Supposed to happen after Martha leaves, but before the Titanic crashes into the Tardis.

We shall see soon enough.

Dave-ros
11-16-2007, 12:11 PM
I'll let you know -- I'll take a break in Crysis to watch it :hhg:

Joe Siegler
11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb89/boooboodog/ww550.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb89/boooboodog/wr550.jpg

TBZ
11-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I want to watch this, right NOW! Hopefully I'll get to watch it soon :)

supermeerkat
11-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Just watched it: it was very good. Some great jokes.

PD appears to be older due to the "time differential".
The TARDIS's desktop theme has been changed to "coral".
PD only wore his classes to make him look clever; he never needed them.
Namechecks include: Nyssa, Tegan, the Cybermen

PD: Does the Master still have that ridiculous beard?
DT: He has a wife now.

Dave-ros
11-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I saw it too -- sorry for the delay, I was roped into a long game of Risk by my housemate and female friend. Interesting to hear Tennant's Doctor tell Davison's Doctor

"You were my Doctor!" as I was born just too late to see Tom Baker, and thus grew up with Davison... so I could say the same thing!

Mountain Man
11-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Great stuff! I was delighted to see that Steven Moffat was given writing honors.

http://www.picupload.net/t-164c05086ffcfa6dc3e0668848180686.jpg (http://www.picupload.net/s-164c05086ffcfa6dc3e0668848180686-jpg.php)

http://www.picupload.net/t-1eb38b3c5ffee5af113de945bb0d629c.jpg (http://www.picupload.net/s-1eb38b3c5ffee5af113de945bb0d629c-jpg.php)

http://www.picupload.net/t-581aaef9772b35d56fbfff94f3f1d61f.jpg (http://www.picupload.net/s-581aaef9772b35d56fbfff94f3f1d61f-jpg.php)

I thought Davison did quite a wonderful job reprising a role he hasn't played in several decades. And at the end, how much of that was Doc 10 and how much was David Tennant? Because it sure played a lot like Tennant's tribute to Davison.

That was fun. I wish it was longer, though.

"That's going to blow a hole in the universe the size of... the size of.... the size of Belgium? That's a bit anticlimatic, isn't it?"

Joe Siegler
11-16-2007, 08:17 PM
And at the end, how much of that was Doc 10 and how much was David Tennant? Because it sure played a lot like Tennant's tribute to Davison.

Oh, it was Tennant, alright. He's said in interviews and whatnot he liked Davison's portrayal. Interesting to see all the bits pointed out that he "took" from the fifth - never realized the shoes and the glasses.

Lots of funny bits in here - a joy to watch.

You know when the console was doing that morphing thing, I half expected it to morph into the console that Davison used for his final season as the Doctor. :)

DOSGuy
11-17-2007, 03:56 AM
That would have been cool.

I enjoyed that. :) It was great to see my Doctor again. I'm from the 80s, and I was raised on Fourth and Fifth Doctor re-runs on TVO.

I also love the fact that they recut the final episode of Series 3 so that it could be part of the story arc and, presumably, canonical.

Mountain Man
11-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Oh, it was Tennant, alright. He's said in interviews and whatnot he liked Davison's portrayal.
It was pointed out at Outpost Gallifrey that it could also be the 10th talking because his current incarnation is most like #5, making #5 "his" Doctor. It was definitely an overt tribute to Davison, but it was cleverly written so that it could also be seen as #10's in-character tribute to his predecessor. Kudos to Moffat for that.

Oh, and "Two-minutes to Belgium!" has to be one of the coolest lines ever in the history of the series.

Joe Siegler
11-17-2007, 11:37 AM
I also love the fact that they recut the final episode of Series 3 so that it could be part of the story arc

Well, if you listen to the commentary for Last of the Time Lords, it was known then. Tennant refers to Time Crash there - if not by name then by pointing out something "happened" that we hadn't seen yet at that point.

DOSGuy
11-17-2007, 01:22 PM
"I can't have you lot knowing where I live" is pretty classic, too. That whole bit about fans was very clever. The Tenth Doctor had a whole episode about an in-universe fan club, but "where I live" is clearly a reference to real life, since the TARDIS is of no fixed address or time period.

The stuff about the Fifth Doctor wearing vegetables was pretty funny, too. There were a lot of classic lines in that 8 minute episode.

Joe Siegler
11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
What's cool is according to the overnight ratings, Time Crash is the most watched episode of Doctor Who since it returned in 2005, beating out "Rose", which had a MASSIVE built in audience for it. Impressive.

DOSGuy
11-18-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm not surprised. The first multi-Doctor story since 1993, and the first canonical one since 1985. Peter Davison is one of the most popular Doctors ever, and it was his first appearance in a Doctor Who story arc since leaving the show in 1984. It was all too brief, but I enjoyed it very much. They didn't let us down after a 23 year wait.

Incidentally, the last multi-Doctor story for Children in Need had 13.8 million viewers, and Part 2 had 13.6 million, two of the most-watched episodes in Doctor Who history. To me, it's a winning formula: Doctor Who and charity. Who wouldn't get behind that?

DOSGuy
11-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Speaking of multi-Doctor stories, I know there are some mixed feelings about the Seventh Doctor. I like this entry from Wikipedia.

In his first series, McCoy, a comedy actor, portrayed the character with a degree of clown-like humour, but script editor Andrew Cartmel soon changed that when fans argued that the character (and plots) were becoming increasingly lightweight. The Seventh Doctor developed into a much darker figure than any of his earlier incarnations, manipulating people like chess pieces and always seeming to be playing a deeper game. ... In 1990, readers of Doctor Who Magazine voted McCoy's Doctor "Best Doctor", over perennial favourite Tom Baker.

I concede that the most recent Doctor is likely to win any popularity contest, such as when David Tennant was recently voted the best Doctor ever. Nevertheless, I loved the curmudgeonly Doctor versus the recklessly youthful Ace as an odd couple. I'd love to see what the Seventh Doctor would think of his tenth incarnation. Next year, Sylvestor McCoy?

Dave-ros
11-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Just to correct a couple of points: Joe, the series came back in 2005, not 1995 (unless you were thinking of Paul McGann? That was 1996 anyway!), and the last canonical multi-Doctor story was The Two Doctors in 1985 -- though remember how old Troughton and Hines looked, more so than anyone did in The Five Doctors, I thought!

Joe Siegler
11-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Joe, the series came back in 2005, not 1995

That was a typo.

Mountain Man
11-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I loved the curmudgeonly Doctor versus the recklessly youthful Ace as an odd couple.
I was watching the "Survival" DVD recently, and it struck me that Doc 7 and Ace almost seemed like a prototype for Doc 9 and Rose. Then I watched the special features and saw Sylvester McCoy made that exact same observation!

----------

The Two Doctors in 1985 -- though remember how old Troughton and Hines looked, more so than anyone did in The Five Doctors, I thought!
Interestingly, that was Troughton's last acting gig before he died.