PDA

View Full Version : The Official Doctor Who Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Duoae
03-26-2005, 01:56 PM
WARNING from Joe3DR: This thread has discussions of the current episodes of the new series in the UK as well as older discussions. Tread lightly if you don't want the new stuff spoiled.

WOW! What can i say, just got off from watching the first episode of Dr. Who and i was not dissapointed at all!

I don't want to spoil it for those in other countries who have to wait for it, but it was great.

I was planning on recording it to my HDD so i could watch it again (as i have no tapes), but i hadn't got the time to set it up before hand. Nevermind.

The only bad thing about the episode was that the BBC ***** up the transmission a bit and had (what i think was) sound from BBC 3's dance show interfering with the broadcast in the first 5-10 mins. That would spoil it for anyone who recorded it and wanted a pristine copy.

As for Eccleston, he was great as the new Doctor. Although i think Billie is also good as a companion, i didn't/ couldn't relate to her character very well - partially due to her smiling during running sequences....

Overall EXCELLENT! *Rubs hands together*

addfaz
03-26-2005, 02:00 PM
first time i've ever watched it http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

very impressed so far http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cant wait for next episode...

Duoae
03-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah, the next episode looks VERY intriguing! Hopefully i'll record it next week.

X-Vector
03-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Don't you guys think it was all a bit *too* silly?

Fat John
03-26-2005, 02:09 PM
I'd never watched an actual current Dr. Who episode, so this was a new experience for me. It was a bit goofy at times, and I found it underwhelming. However I think it has potential...

addfaz
03-26-2005, 02:09 PM
at times, yes. but it didnt seem to bother me.

Duoae
03-26-2005, 02:10 PM
I liked the silliness of Doctor Who in general. I don't think it's ever been serious as a series. I didn't think it was too silly. I've only disliked K-9 and the "WhoMobile" in all the series.... they were silly.

Eccleston makes me think of a combination of Colin Baker and Silvester McCoy.... he has his playful thoughtful side, but there is the hint of a darker layer underneath.

Nacho
03-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Doh! I missed it! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif

supermeerkat
03-26-2005, 02:47 PM
X-Vector said:
Don't you guys think it was all a bit *too* silly?

It was slightly tongue in cheeck, but Dr Who always has been. That show has never quite taken itself seriously.

I was incredibly impressed by the whole thing, 45 minutes just flew by. It was great. No complaints at all. Christopher Eccleston was exactly what the show needed: a very talented actor with great presence, who gave the Doctor a sense of danger *and* fun, that, IMO, it never had in the Colin Baker and Sylvester MacCoy years. I can't wait for the next episode.

Also, if we are going to discuss plot details, howabout we use spoiler text?

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> The biggest laugh in the show, for me and my g/f, was when the Doctor pulled off the auton's head, and the couple sitting behind him screamed like hell! </td></tr></table>

bubba
03-26-2005, 02:50 PM
If i was 8 years old again, I would be absolutely scared shedless.

When the guy lost his head in the restaurant and started thrashing around down on the tables with his massive plastic club hands smashing stuff up, it was brilliant and he was seriously pissed off in a headless rage. Definately hide behind the sofa moment.
Absolutely fantastic with the pumping music.

A thoroughly enjoyble episode.

If it wasnt Dr.Who, I would have thought it was a corney B movie, but nostalgia wins the day.

supermeerkat
03-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Sylvester McCoy liked it (link to BBC page) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4380477.stm)

Duoae
03-26-2005, 04:53 PM
The thing i want to know most is (spoilers):

<font color="#1F1F22"> When the doctor looks in the mirror and exclaims: "Oh! Ah well, could have been worse i suppose." I presume he was referring to his regeneration.... but how did he die? Forgetting the crap that was the film, they didn't explain this and i would love to know how it happened..... </font>

NutWrench
03-26-2005, 04:54 PM
I never really got into Doctor Who. I don't know why.

supermeerkat
03-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Duoae said:

<font color="#1F1F22"> When the doctor looks in the mirror and exclaims: "Oh! Ah well, could have been worse i suppose." I presume he was referring to his regeneration.... but how did he die? Forgetting the crap that was the film, they didn't explain this and i would love to know how it happened..... </font>

His regeneration will be addressed at a later date, I believe, - we only saw Pertwee's (sp?) regeneration in flashback, so its not like this hasn't happened before. What I want to know is, did the Paul McGann film actually happen? Was it canon?

On a side note, the doctor doesn't actually die. His body gets so worn out he just needs a new one,

Nacho
03-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Musn't read spoilers! Does anyone know if they will repeat it this week?

Mountain Man
03-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Happy to see the positive reports! I'm downloading the episode over bit torrent, so I'll have to watch it later, maybe tomorrow.

cheeseboy
03-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Despite missing the first ten minutes, I thought it was great. I think Eccleston and Piper look like making a good pair.

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> That bit with the London eye in the background and a very confused Doctor had me cracking up. </td></tr></table>

Fat John
03-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Remeber how the fat guy had pictures of the doctor going back hundreds of years, and in the first episode he was surprised by his face? http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

QuiGonJ
03-27-2005, 09:45 AM
BBC3 is running the show at 7PM tonight for you in the UK lucky enough to see it. The BBC says the ratings hit up to 10.5 million last night.

I'm still waiting on someone in the US to pick it up.

Duoae
03-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Fat John said:
Remeber how the fat guy had pictures of the doctor going back hundreds of years, and in the first episode he was surprised by his face? http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nice of you to blurt that spoiler out loud..... http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif

Anyway the answer is quite simple:

<font color="#1F1F22"> If he is in the past, it's because he has visited the past in the future - he travels in time, have you ever seen Bill and Ted's exellent adventure? That simple-minded movie pretty much explains the concepts of time travel. It's also a good laugh.... </font>

StarBegotten
03-27-2005, 11:24 AM
His regeneration will be addressed at a later date, I believe, - we only saw Pertwee's (sp?) regeneration in flashback, so its not like this hasn't happened before. What I want to know is, did the Paul McGann film actually happen? Was it canon?

I recall reading in SFX that it wasnt canon, so Eccelston would have regenerated from McCoy.

BTW as a long time Dotor Who fan I loved the new show. I thought it hit the right mix of fun and fear, I look forward to see where the show takes us from here - some of the upcoming episodes sound "a bit good". http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wonder if/when well see the return of The Master?

WestSeven
03-27-2005, 11:34 AM
I used to love Dr Who and was sure I would be dissapointed but I loved. Perfect balance of humour and action - it's not intended to be series.

My favorite line....

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">
Billie: If you're from another planet why do you have a Northern accent?

Dr: Other planets have a North
</td></tr></table>

Made me laugh out loud

Duoae
03-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah, that was the funniest line in the programme. Loved it.

HobbesUK
03-27-2005, 02:04 PM
I quite enjoyed it. Yes, it was rather silly at times - but Dr. Who always has been.

I think Billie Piper is quite good, too. I wasn't really sure what her acting ability would be like, but she's not bad at all.

I've not actually watched that many of the old Dr. Who episodes. I watched all of the Sylvester McCoy episodes, simply because I was the 'right age' at that time. And I've watched a lot of the Tom Baker episodes. But aside from that, I'm not a Dr. Who aficionado.

But it gave me goosebumps when I heard the sound of the TARIDS as it disappeared. I've always loved that sound.

The theme tune wasn't as good as it used to be, though http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mountain Man
03-27-2005, 05:25 PM
HobbesUK said:
The theme tune wasn't as good as it used to be, though http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The theme tune is actually a remix of the one used when the program aired in the 1960's.

Mountain Man
03-27-2005, 08:20 PM
O.K., I just finished watching it, and that was very cool! I think Eccelston is going to make a very cool Doctor. He's relatable but dark and mysterious. He also reminded me a bit of my personal fave, Peter Davison. I like how Sylvester McCoy describes the new Doctor: "He had this manic grin which worried me. We were not sure if he was on the edge of insanity or not, which was rather good. He just ran into danger with such gusto, he galloped at it joyfully."

Billie Piper is also surprisingly good. She's nice to look at but she's smart and in control. She seems she's not going to be the cowering female companion from the days of old. Oh, and I really like the dematerialization sequence.

Yeah, I had a few quibbles. The climax was a bit of a bore. <table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">The Doctor didn't seem to be struggling nearly hard enough, and letting Rose save the day sort of undermined the strength of his character.</td></tr></table> But that's really my only complaint. The writing was, for the most part, smart and sharp. All in all, there was far more to like than to dislike. At 45 minutes, it almost seemed too short.

I'm definitely looking forward to the future episodes!

Mountain Man
03-27-2005, 08:35 PM
supermeerkat said:
What I want to know is, did the Paul McGann film actually happen? Was it canon?

To my knowledge, Paul McGann is officially recognized as the 8th Doctor. Whether or not his only episode is canon (especially that rubbish about the Doctor being half-human) I couldn't say.

Mountain Man
03-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Great news for Whovians:

The BBC has given the greenlight to a second season! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2005/03/30/18213.shtml)

Duoae
03-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Already? They only had one episode!

How many viewers (estimated) wacthed the show on saturday anyway?

supermeerkat
03-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Duoae said:

How many viewers (estimated) wacthed the show on saturday anyway?

About 10 million or so, which, I believe is about half the people watching TV on saturday evening in the UK.

Let us all give praise to Russel T. Davis. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mountain Man
03-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Duoae said:

I know. I was a bit surprised myself, but apparently the BBC was happy with the ratings and fan reaction. Though the obvious question is, what are they going to do if the next 12 episodes tank?

shiranui
03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Well, Eccleston was no Tom Baker.

Eccleston quits Doctor Who role (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4395849.stm)

Good riddance...

Doppelgofer
03-31-2005, 01:32 AM
well after some of you saying how good it was, i thought i'd give it a download.....

i watched 5 minutes.....deleted

Duoae
03-31-2005, 02:06 AM
I thought he was good! Shame he is leaving...

As for watching 5 minutes? You watch the first five minutes of the first episode of any new show and you would delete it - setting up the scene and characters is the most boring part of a series.... but it has to be done.

[EDIT]

Also, what are they going to do? Deny Eccleston's existance and say that the new actor is the 9th doctor? Or go through ANOTHER transformation? We'll be at the 12th and final one by the end of next year at this rate.... also i couldn't stand if that cassanova dude was picked.... he's too wimpy......

supermeerkat
03-31-2005, 02:27 AM
I'd like to see Richard E Grant, or perhaps Eddie Izzard as the Doctor.

cheeseboy
03-31-2005, 06:27 AM
Theres a poll on the BBC site for 5 possible new doctor choices. I voted for Alan Davies.

Who will be the next Doctor Who? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4396295.stm)

Mountain Man
03-31-2005, 08:17 AM
shiranui said:
Eccleston quits Doctor Who role (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4395849.stm)

He's quitting after one season? That really sucks! We'll see how the rest of the season shakes out, but he certainly has the potential to be one of the best Doctor's ever.

Well, shame on Russel T. Davies and the rest of the Who crew for not picking a lead who was committed to the project for the long-term. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Duoae said:
We'll be at the 12th and final one by the end of next year at this rate....

If memory serves, the Doctor can regenerate 12 times, so the final incarnation would actually be number 13 (Hartnell's incarnation is the Doctor's original appearance.)

But I agree, let's hope they don't move through Doctor's too quickly.

Duoae
03-31-2005, 10:28 AM
cheeseboy said:
Theres a poll on the BBC site for 5 possible new doctor choices. I voted for Alan Davies.

Who will be the next Doctor Who? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4396295.stm)

While i love Alan Davis (he is really funny!) i don't think that he'd suit being the doctor - too sarcastic i feel....

[EDIT]
Oh yeah, i voted for Richard E Grant.

QuiGonJ
03-31-2005, 11:20 AM
The BBC webiste says they are talking to someone named David Tennant, though at Outpost Gallifrey they are wondering why not let Paul McGann come back and do the role. Even the TVM detractors say his audio dramas as the Doctor have been quite good.

supermeerkat
03-31-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd like to see McGann come back as well, I thought that he showed potential in the dire movie as well as the radio series. But I don't see that happening. I'd love to see Richard E Grant as the next Doctor - as he is so intense....

Mountain Man
03-31-2005, 12:41 PM
QuiGonJ said:
The BBC webiste says they are talking to someone named David Tennant, though at Outpost Gallifrey they are wondering why not let Paul McGann come back and do the role. Even the TVM detractors say his audio dramas as the Doctor have been quite good.

I suppose that could work, but they'd have to remove the telemovie from canon then make Eccelston the 8th and McGann the 9th. Probably won't happen, but it is food for thought.

Joe Siegler
03-31-2005, 05:43 PM
McGann isn't going to be removed. He's #8. Eccleston is #9. Besides, there's nothing to stop the Doctor from backwards regenerating, so McGann could be #8 and #10. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's established canon that a Time Lord can only have 12 regenerations. Once we get to Doctor #13, they'll have to deal with that issue.

There is precdent set, though. In the Five Doctors, the High Council offered the Master a complete new life cycle of 12 regenerations. So it can happen. I'm just annoyed how fast we're burning through Doctors now.

Anyway, it's been announced that there will be a Series 2. Also a standalone Christmas special. Billie Piper is supposed to stay, which will help with continuity.

But here is what I think they should do with the Xmas special. This will take care of several issues all at once, and bring a new, fresh variant to one of the core tenants of Doctor Who.

My Christmas Special Idea:

The decision to not regenerate the Doctor from Paul McGann to Chris Eccleston was probably a good one, since the thrust of the show should be getting new viewers going, not confusing them with a regeneration. As much as I would have liked to have seen it, we didn't get it, and I agree with the reasons why. Now having said that, this is what I think they should do with the Xmas special. The Xmas special is kind of "Standalone", so this is a perfect opportunity to do this kind of thing, I think. Plus we have a year of Eccelston by this point, and RTD (producer) will be less inclined to say no based off of "we have no emotional attachment to this Doctor". That was valid at the start of the new series, but not after a full series.

Have this be a multi doctor story. It can be however many you want, the only ones relevant to the idea are McGann & Eccleston (and obviously the new guy, too). Anyway, towards the end of the story, you could have something happens which causes Paul McGann to regenerate into Christopher Eccleston. Now the best part is that Christopher Ecceleston (not the newly regenerated one) would regenerate into the new guy.

This would take care of two things. One, it would give us a regeneration from McGann into Eccleston, which now won't happen otherwise as Eccelston has quit. Plus it would give us a regeneration for the new Doctor. It also brings a new twist to the concept of regeneration which hasn't been done in the 40+ years of the show. Have two simulteanous regenerations of the same Time Lord.

I think it'll be rather cool. However, I admit the idea is rather fanboyish, so I don't know if the production team will want to do it. But I still think it's a cool idea.

Joe Siegler
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
supermeerkat said:

Duoae said:

A few thigns. We never saw a Troughton to Pertwee regeneration. It happened off screen. If you watch the last seconds of The War Games Episode 10 (Troughton's last), you see him spinning in a circle until he disappeares. The next time we see the Doctor is Pertwee falling out of the Tardis onto the ground in Troughton's clothes. There was never an on screen regeneration for that. So no regen scene has happened, but I think after not seeing Doc 8 to 9, I don't think we can skip Doc 9 to 10 as well. I have some thoughts on this, see my post immediately above this one.

Yes, the McGann film happened. It's definitely canon. In fact, the audio dramas, and I believe some of the novels, are too.

Also, I would like to see Richard E Grant. He has a Who history already - he was one of the Doctors' in a quick regeneration sequence in the Parody story "The Curse of the Fatal Death" (with Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor). Grant was also the Doctor in the BBCi production of "Scream of the Shalka". Shalka is still online at the BBC website, check it out here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/webcasts/shalka/

It gives you a feel of what a REG doctor might be like, even if he wouldn't look like that on the TV.

As for Paul McGann, he's done a boatload of audio dramas with Big Finish. Plus the one thing he did which was f'in awesome was the Shada story. Don't know what you know about the show's history, but back in Season 17 (Tom Baker's penultimate), the final story was to be Shada. They started working on it, but there was a BBC strike, and production got halted. It never finished, and there's been a Tom Baker narrated video on sale for a few years now with the raw footage cleaned up.

However, McGann did a BBCi webcast of Shada. They properly "finished" the story, and there's some absolutely BRILLIANT writing in the beginning of it to tie together the jettisoned footage from 1979 and the newer McGann version. As a fan of the show's past, I cannot speak highly enough of the Shada production. Check it out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/webcasts/shada/

I always felt McGann got shafted by not getting more TV stories. There were some moments of absolute brilliance in his TV series. For me, the moment where he absolutely nails the Character of the Doctor was when he was in Grace's house, and she's examining him, and he's rambling on about all this other stuff, yet still saying enough to Grace to prove he's still paying attention. That bit was awesome.

Duoae
04-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Joe3DR* said:
Have this be a multi doctor story. It can be however many you want, the only ones relevant to the idea are McGann & Eccleston (and obviously the new guy, too). Anyway, towards the end of the story, you could have something happens which causes Paul McGann to regenerate into Christopher Eccleston. Now the best part is that Christopher Ecceleston (not the newly regenerated one) would regenerate into the new guy.

This would take care of two things. One, it would give us a regeneration from McGann into Eccleston, which now won't happen otherwise as Eccelston has quit. Plus it would give us a regeneration for the new Doctor. It also brings a new twist to the concept of regeneration which hasn't been done in the 40+ years of the show. Have two simulteanous regenerations of the same Time Lord.

I think it'll be rather cool. However, I admit the idea is rather fanboyish, so I don't know if the production team will want to do it. But I still think it's a cool idea.

I like that idea! It is pretty cool.... of course it would also be cool to have a "reverse" regeneration. Maybe the doctor (Eccleston) gets hit by some weapon or energy beam (etc) and is unregenerated back to McGann. This would solve the next doctor problem as well as you could have McGann being the 8th as normal and have him (when he dies after running his own tv series) regenerating into a a different doctor as the "alternate" 9th...

[EDIT]

Or, if you read any of the "official" books there was one with an alternate dimension (involving the silurians) where the Doctor had been killed instead of stopping the invasion. Unfortunately i can't find the book or remember the title... but it was something like Bloodhunt or somesuch thing...

Nacho
04-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know when there airing/repeating episode 1 in Canada? I'm assuming it's the same as America.

Joe, you should be a guest writer for the show.

Duoae
04-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Another absolutely GREAT episode and spoiler:

<font color="#1F1F22"> I can't believe the timelords are dead and that gallifrey is gone..... btw does anyone know who they were fighting against? </font>

addfaz
04-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Duoae said:
Another absolutely GREAT episode

agreed http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WestSeven
04-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Agreed. I can't believe how well they're doing this. What a shame, shame, shame he's not doing another series.

Mountain Man
04-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Nacho said:
Does anyone know when there airing/repeating episode 1 in Canada? I'm assuming it's the same as America.

If it's the same as America then you're never going to see it! Us Yanks have to depend on filesharing for our Doctor Who fix.

((( goes back to waiting for episode 2 to start making the rounds )))

Mountain Man
04-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I just finished watching The End of the World, and holy crap that rocked! Possibly one of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever! It had me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end, and the revelations about the Doctor had me scooping my jaw off the floor. Another terrific performance from Eccelston and Piper!

Oh, and I love how the sonic screwdriver is able to do everything. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WestSeven
04-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Mountain Man said:
I just finished watching The End of the World, and holy crap that rocked! Possibly one of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever! It had me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end, and the revelations about the Doctor had me scooping my jaw off the floor. Another terrific performance from Eccelston and Piper!

Oh, and I love how the sonic screwdriver is able to do everything. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Totally agree. I'm amazed. I really thought it would kind of suck - but it's amazingly good. Perfect blend of humour, surealness and action - again! Respect!

Appeals to kids, adults, new viewers and fans of the old series alike. I don't know how they did it!

supermeerkat
04-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Mountain Man said:

That was the one of the things I didn't like about ep2 - it just seemed like a lazy plot contrivance. The other thing was seeing bits of the tardis control console up close - it just looked like dirty, rusty bits of metal, and as for that stupid bike pump thing......

Chimera
04-03-2005, 11:15 AM
and as for that stupid bike pump thing......

Yeah, that was a bit crap http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But how cool was Jabe? I want to be a tree http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WestSeven
04-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Chimera said:

and as for that stupid bike pump thing......

Yeah, that was a bit crap http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I thought the bike pump thing was really funny.

Mountain Man
04-03-2005, 04:44 PM
supermeerkat said:

Mountain Man said:

That was the one of the things I didn't like about ep2 - it just seemed like a lazy plot contrivance.

Well, I liked it because it's clearly a throw back to the classic series when the writers used to flat out admit that it was plot device. They could have had the Doctor spend 5 minutes contriving some elaborate escape plan, or have him whip out the sonic screwdriver and get the job done in 5 seconds. Unless, of course, they wanted an elaborate 5 minute escape sequence, in which case the sonic screwdriver would be inexplicibly ineffective. Saw an interview once where someone said something like, "The sonic screwdriver can open any lock in the universe. Except when it can't."

The other thing was seeing bits of the tardis control console up close - it just looked like dirty, rusty bits of metal, and as for that stupid bike pump thing......

One running theory I've read is that <table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">during the war, the Doctor's original TARDIS--the one from the classic series--was destroyed, so the one he has now was literally put together with whatever bits of junk he could find.</td></tr></table> That would explain its roughshod appearance. As for why it's still a Police Box, I don't suppose the Doctor's sentimentality is out of the question. As for the bicycle pump, eh--sorry, I got nothin'!

Fat John
04-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I reckon it's just a case of the alien UI being physical, as opposed to icons onscreen.

Mountain Man
04-04-2005, 08:24 PM
It turns out the reasons for Eccelston's departure are not what we were led to believe:

<font color="gold">BBC ADMITS DOCTOR WHO ACTOR BLUNDER
The BBC admits it broke an agreement with Eccleston

The BBC failed to speak to actor Christopher Eccleston before revealing he was going to quit Dr Who after the first series, it has admitted.

It was originally claimed the actor feared being typecast if he stayed on.

In a statement, the BBC quoted Eccleston as saying "he hoped viewers continued to enjoy the series".

But the BBC has admitted it did not consult him about that statement and also broke its agreement not to reveal he planned to film just one series.

Head of drama and commissioning Jane Tranter said: "The BBC regrets not speaking to Christopher before it responded to the press questions on Wednesday 30 March.

"The BBC further regrets that it falsely attributed a statement to Christopher and apologises to him."

A BBC spokesman said a mutual agreement was made between the corporation and Eccleston in January that the fact he was not making a second series would not be made public.

But after journalists questioned the press office, the news was confirmed.

A further series of the show has now been commissioned.

The BBC confirmed it was in talks with actor David Tennant, the star of BBC3 drama Casanova, as a possible replacement for Eccleston.

BBC News (Link) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4410943.stm)</font>

Fat John
04-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Well it's on tonight...

addfaz
04-09-2005, 01:51 PM
was better than i thought it would be http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

not usually into that type of era. next weeks looks verrrry good.

supermeerkat
04-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Not as good as episodes 1 and 2, but still worth watching.

Duoae
04-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Yeah, this episode was much slower-paced than the others, but was still good. Next week's episode looks like it's going to rock! I hope that was UNIT we saw.....

Mountain Man
04-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Not bad. A bit predictable, and the Doctor seemed a little too easily duped. This one could have made a great two parter.

supermeerkat
04-10-2005, 05:38 AM
I suppose it was a character development episode: Rose is developing into quite an interesting character.

Joe Siegler
04-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Duoae said:
Another absolutely GREAT episode and spoiler:

<font color="#1F1F22"> I can't believe the timelords are dead and that gallifrey is gone..... btw does anyone know who they were fighting against? </font>

I suspect that's likely to be resolved before the end of the series. This is what I've heard..

The final two episodes ARE a two parter. Episode 12's name has not been revealed yet, and Episode 13's name is "The Parting of the Ways". Here's what I think (spoiler bits)

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">Episode 12 & 13 will be a two parter about the Daleks and the Time War and Gallifrey. Apparently the bit about Eccleston only doing one series was known from the start, and the end of Episode 13 has already accounted for that. From what I've heard there will be no regeneration, but the end of Ep 13 will be ambigious enough to allow for a change in Doctor - we'll see.</td></tr></table>

Joe Siegler
04-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Mountain Man said:

Yes, I rather liked this episode, too. Much goodness abounds.

I also liked the Unquiet Dead - at first I didn't think I was going to like it, I was never a fan of Dr Who's period pieces, but this one ended up being quite good. The bit about the Doctor and Charles Dickens in Dickens' "car" was awesome.

Although someone here at 3DR who is a big Who fan had an interesting observation. Minor Spoilers..

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">
In Episodes 1 & 3 the Doctor got himself into situations where he had to be saved by someone else. Ep 1 by Rose, Ep 3 by Dickens. </td></tr></table>

Joe Siegler
04-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Duoae said:
Yeah, this episode was much slower-paced than the others, but was still good. Next week's episode looks like it's going to rock! I hope that was UNIT we saw.....

Using UNIT would be awesome. Would be intersting to see Lethbridge Stewart, but I somehow doubt they'll use him - he was already looking long in the teeth in his appearance with McCoy, and that was 16 years ago.

Would be nice for someone to just say the name Lethbridge-Stewart at least.

supermeerkat
04-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Joe3DR said:

Duoae said:

Using UNIT would be awesome. Would be intersting to see Lethbridge Stewart, but I somehow doubt they'll use him - he was already looking long in the teeth in his appearance with McCoy, and that was 16 years ago.

Would be nice for someone to just say the name Lethbridge-Stewart at least.

I wonder if Lt. Bambera(sp?) will show up, I vaguely recall her from the last McCoy series, she played a fairly major role in of the stories with UNIT in it. As a side note, she was played by the same actor who played the female Lister in the episode of Red Dwarf where the crew go into a parallel universe.

Duoae
04-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Yep... would be cool to see her or "son-of" lethbridge stewart....

Joe Siegler
04-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I wonder if Lt. Bambera(sp?) will show up, I vaguely recall her from the last McCoy series, she played a fairly major role in of the stories with UNIT in it. As a side note, she was played by the same actor who played the female Lister in the episode of Red Dwarf where the crew go into a parallel universe.

She was indeed the "current" Brigadier in UNIT in McCoy's story "Battefield". I doubt they'll use her, since she's not listed in the cast list. We're also assuming they'll even use the term Brigadier anyway. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mountain Man
04-13-2005, 05:43 AM
Joe3DR said:
In Episodes 1 & 3 the Doctor got himself into situations where he had to be saved by someone else. Ep 1 by Rose, Ep 3 by Dickens. </td></tr></table>

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">At least in Rose it was plausible because he was being physically restrained by a presumably stronger being. However, in The Unquiet Dead, he locked himself in a cage and started blubbering like a little girl. I was surprised to see the Doctor get himself in a jam and simply give up. It seemed out of character (if you look at the previous 26 seasons).</td></tr></table>
It was a fantastic episode otherwise ("I'm your biggest fan!"), but that did bother me a bit.

Favorite line: "And don't think I didn't notice your hands having a quick wander, you dirty old man!"

Joe Siegler
04-13-2005, 08:03 AM
"And don't think I didn't notice your hands having a quick wander, you dirty old man!"

Where was that? I don't remember that one.

Duoae
04-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Joe3DR said:

"And don't think I didn't notice your hands having a quick wander, you dirty old man!"

Where was that? I don't remember that one.

LOL! It was right after <font color="#1F1F22"> she woke up after being chloroformed and was rescued by the doctor. They were all in the reception/living room and Rose was standin in front of the fireplace having a rant about being kidnapped. </font>

I thought it was a pretty funny comment.

Tetsuro
04-14-2005, 03:45 AM
I've never seen a single episode of Dr.Who, but I am interested. Out of the DVDs currently available, which one would you guys recommend most for me to start off with?

Tedski
04-14-2005, 06:04 AM
Takeshi said:
I've never seen a single episode of Dr.Who, but I am interested. Out of the DVDs currently available, which one would you guys recommend most for me to start off with?

This is not going to be easy. Dr. Who is a TV series made by the BBC in the UK that has been going for in the region of 40 years. There's quite a bit to choose from. What I would recommend is NOT to watch any of the movies that have been made, until you've watched some of the series. The movies, while interesting, (and I've actually enjoyed athe odd one) do not really give you a proper idea of what Dr. Who is all about. Realistically, you need probably to start off somewhere in the 70's where the shows were broadcast in colour - there's a lot of stuff that wasn't. Earliest series that will be in colour will have Jon Pertwee as the Doctor, which is probably as good a place to start as any - unless you like black and white stuff, in which case it would be at the beginning. You really have to bear in mind when these things were broadcast though - there is stuff that will look extremely dated - mainly because it is.
No doubt there may well be other suggestions coming, which may be more helpful than mine, but as I pointed out at the start, it's not an easy task. Good luck.

Tetsuro
04-14-2005, 07:23 AM
One: I am not the kind of guy who disses a movie/TV show because it's in black and white. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Second: The SFX in Star Trek TOS are dated too but I love it.

I read some of the reviews and it seems that The Talons Of Weng-Chiang is the best story, but what I really am looking for is a story that really captures the essence of the whole show itself while not requiring too much background information (which naturally leads into the need of starting from some of the older episodes).

Joe Siegler
04-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Mountain Man said:

QuiGonJ said:

I suppose that could work, but they'd have to remove the telemovie from canon then make Eccelston the 8th and McGann the 9th. Probably won't happen, but it is food for thought.

Says who? Who's to say he can't regenerate into one of his previous forms?

Mountain Man
04-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Joe3DR said:
Who's to say he can't regenerate into one of his previous forms?

I don't think anybody has said that, at least not officially, but it would most certainly be unprecedented.

Joe Siegler
04-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Mountain Man said:

Joe3DR said:
Who's to say he can't regenerate into one of his previous forms?

I don't think anybody has said that, at least not officially, but it would most certainly be unprecedented.

Of course it would, but your previous statement was a bit more "out there" - removing McGann from canon so they could go back to him? Just make him #10.

Either way it's not gonna happen. I'd love for McGann to come back, but I doubt it will happen. I don't think either side is interested in that.

supermeerkat
04-16-2005, 06:38 AM
David Tenant has been confirmed as the new Doctor Who (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4396961.stm)

I haven't seen any of his work, and my g/f really doesn't like him. However, everyone at where I work say that he has been really good in a BBC series about Casanova. I would have preferred Ecclestone, though http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fat John
04-16-2005, 01:50 PM
It's still pretty cheesy. I hope the BBC does some marketing.

Chimera
04-16-2005, 02:20 PM
cheesy. but awesome http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't wait for next week's episode

btw

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">I've read Dreamcatcher, I just knew there was an alien in the farting MP http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </td></tr></table>

Duoae
04-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah, this episode was brilliant... but [hangs head in shame] i forgot it was on and missed the first 15 minutes. I was quite shocked when it was a two-parter. Didn't think there were going to be any except for the final episode(s).....

supermeerkat
04-16-2005, 09:52 PM
This new episode was great, it was old school Doctor Who: overacting, crappy looking aliens, and a proper cliffhanger involving screaming and women being menaced! Excellent stuff. Doctor Who keeps getting better and better!

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">Rose's boyfriend saying that he was the number one murder suspect, and was questioned five times, and Rose's mum slapping the Doctor were the high points of this episode. And did anyone spot the BBC's real life political correspondant Andrew Marr doing a cameo?</td></tr></table>

Mountain Man
04-16-2005, 10:22 PM
And when Micky emphatically said that he had been questioned 5 times, did you notice he only held up 4 fingers? http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tedski
04-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Mountain Man said:
And when Micky emphatically said that he had been questioned 5 times, did you notice he only held up 4 fingers? http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's because they couldn't afford the actor who has five fingers on his hand...... http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheeseboy
04-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Great episode.

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> I thought Andrew Marr was the alien! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif </td></tr></table>

Tedski
04-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this weeks finish of the 1st two parter. It's starting to feel already like a shame to me that Ecclestone is going, ah well.
Now for the good bit - next week sees the story with the 'D' things! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

supermeerkat
04-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Tonight's episode was really ass-kickingly good. Every episode is better than the last. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And the trailer for next weeks episode! Holy shit! I can't wait!

Joe, what did you think?

Mountain Man
04-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Tedski said:
Now for the good bit - next week sees the story with the 'D' things! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woohoo! The 'D' things! \o/

I'm downloading the latest episode as I type this. Should be done in about an hour.

Mountain Man
04-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Finally got to watch World War Three. Not a bad, but certainly not as strong as the first three episodes.

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">I liked that the Doctor invited Micky along. I was hoping Micky would say yes, but I also like how the Doctor covered for him, making it seem like he still didn't like him.</td></tr></table>

KaiserSoze
04-24-2005, 11:12 AM
they're baaaaaaaaaaaack next week!

http://img233.echo.cx/img233/8813/dalek7tj.jpg

supermeerkat
04-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Oh, I rather liked the bit where:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> The doctor had got that lad who vandalised the Tardis, in the previous episode, to clear it off and says to him "do that again and I'll 'ave you"</td></tr></table>

Truly Christopher E. is turned out to be a great Doctor.

Mountain Man
04-24-2005, 10:02 PM
supermeerkat said:
Truly Christopher E. is turned out to be a great Doctor.

My favorite bit in the last episode:
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">The Doctor's ultimatum: "Either you stop, or I'll stop you!" The aliens laughed and say, "What? You? While trapped in that room?" The Doctor leveled his gaze and said, "Yeah. Me."</td></tr></table>

Chimera
04-25-2005, 10:48 AM
^^ Yep, that was really good, also -

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> The bit in front of the lift, and "Massive weapons of destruction that can be deployed in 45 seconds" http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </td></tr></table>

Anyone see the Quatermass Experiment? with David Tennant? Pretty good http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oh and -
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> "I travel through time and space and you think I haven't got a phone?!" </td></tr></table>

Joe Siegler
04-25-2005, 11:54 AM
I thought Mickey was fairly useless in Rose and in Aliens of London, but I rather liked him in World War 3. Nice moment outside the Tardis at the end of the episode before Rose and her mum walked up. Rose's mum is probably the most annoying character in the series.

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">I wish she had been killed by the Slitheen at the end of Aliens of London</td></tr></table>

I actually liked Part 1 of this story better than Part 2. I don't have a concrete reason, it's not like Part 2 sucked or anything, but I just liked Part 1. One thing though.

This two parter shows the failure of the new show's format. With mostly single episode stories, you lose a vital part of the old show's appeal - the cliffhanger. There are two more two parters to come, there's one after the Dalek episode, and one to end the season. But you lose the cliffhanger. Oh, and that reminds me. When you DO have a cliffhanger, DON'T RUN A PREVIEW FOR NEXT WEEK FIVE SECONDS AFTER THE CLIFFHANGER! You've just undercut your drama leading to the cliffhanger by showing you who the smeg survives and give a general idea of what happens. Wow did that suck! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Regarding Dalek stuff. Yeah, the preview for next week looked pretty cool. I just hope we don't have to wait for like 20 minutes before seeing the Dalek. Introduce it straight away. I would have liked to have seen more than a single Dalek, however..

If what I'm reading is true, then the last two episodes are about the Time War on Gallifrey that the Doctor and the tree woman alluded to in Episode 2. Will have the Daleks being the ones that did that.

And as long as we're talking series ending spoilers, I've been reading that the new Doctor has actually been cast for a long time, and that a regeneration scene has already been filmed for the end of Episode 13. I did read a remark where RTD mentioned something like "...the new fans of the show will get to experience regeneration as well".

What I think will happen is that the last two episodes will be the Time War, the Doctor does something to save the Time Lords and Gallifrey, but forces him to regenerate, and then we'll get the new Doctor in the Xmas special and the next series. </td></tr></table>

If you want to see a one minute clip from the Dalek episode showing off some of the "new features" of the Eccleston Daleks, download this:

http://www.3drealms.com/dalek

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

supermeerkat
04-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Joe3DR said:
If you want to see a one minute clip from the Dalek episode showing off some of the "new features" of the Eccleston Daleks, download this:

http://www.3drealms.com/dalek

Holy shit! That kicks ass big time! For the first time in ages, the Daleks (or rather a Dalek) are shown as being unstoppable and ruthless bad-asses. In the later years of Doctor Who they became lumbering cliched and mindless baddies who were thwarted by the Doctor at this crop of a hat, and now this! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love.gif The thrill of seeing that made me think of my childhood, and the excitement of seeing the Daleks. Saturday can't come quick enough.

Mountain Man
04-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Joe3DR said:
This two parter shows the failure of the new show's format. With mostly single episode stories, you lose a vital part of the old show's appeal - the cliffhanger.

Interestingly, I have no attachment to the cliffhangers like some fans. Years ago when I used to watch Doctor Who on PBS, all the stories were shown movie-style with all the episodes strung together. I actually enjoyed watching them like that, and I'm only slightly annoyed that the DVDs keep the stories in their original episodic format (surely modern technology would allow them to create a "branching DVD" feature that strips out the titles and just runs one episode into the next?).

Not saying I'm against cliffhangers or anything, but I don't think they're nearly as wonderful as some people think they are. Personally, I actually like getting a complete story in one sitting.

Oh, and that reminds me. When you DO have a cliffhanger, DON'T RUN A PREVIEW FOR NEXT WEEK FIVE SECONDS AFTER THE CLIFFHANGER! You've just undercut your drama leading to the cliffhanger by showing you who the smeg survives and give a general idea of what happens. Wow did that suck! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I agree with you on this. If they're going to include cliffhangers then at least get them right!

Joe Siegler
04-25-2005, 09:37 PM
In the later years of Doctor Who they became lumbering cliched and mindless baddies who were thwarted by the Doctor at this crop of a hat, and now this!

I thought they got away from that with the Sylvester McCoy Dalek story. Davros was in it, but only at the end. It was mostly just "The Daleks".

Plus they had that new "Special Weapons Dalek", as well as having a Dalek go up the stairs for the first time - the cliffhanger for Episode 1 of that story is one of the all time greatest Dr Who moments, and it's cut out in the version where all the episodes are spliced together.

Colin Baker's Dalek story also had Davros hovering in the air, too.

Nacho
04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I have yet to see any of the episodes. When the hell is it on?

Or, must I resort to the internet, or, DVD.

Mountain Man
04-25-2005, 11:16 PM
If you live in the UK then you can catch it Saturdays at 7 p.m. on BBC One. If you live in Canada then look for it Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on CBC. If you live outside of the UK or Canada (currently the only two countries showing the new Who) then your only options are to wait until your country gets around to showing the program (if ever), wait for the DVD release, or introduce yourself to the wonderful world of internet file sharing.

Nacho
04-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Yes, go Canada!

Thanks MM.

supermeerkat
04-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Dalek: Best episode of new series so far!

That was a great episode! Slightly cheesey in places, but brilliant! CE's acting with the dalek was great, and the Dalek did a good bit of acting itself. I felt like a kid again watching that!

Excellent!

X-Vector
04-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I've seen three episodes so far and this was the only one I liked and the only one that 'felt' like Dr Who.

Mountain Man
04-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Absolutely brilliant episode!

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">I loved the development of the Doctor's character (is he really responsible for the destruction of the Timelords?), and I can't believe how much sympathy I felt for the Dalek! At the beginning of the episode, I was rooting for its destruction. By the end, I was hoping it would live. I especially enjoyed the Doctor's change of heart at the very end. "I can't...". Wonderful writing and characterization all around.</td></tr></table>
This is also one of Eccelstone's better acted episodes because it gave him lots of juicy angst and grit to sink his teeth into which he is much better with than the light heartedness from some of the past episodes.

I'm not sure which I like better between The End of the World and Dalek (my two favorites so far), but I think EotW edges D out slightly because the script and story were more well-rounded.

But all in all, can't say I've been disappointed with a single episode of this series.

Chimera
05-01-2005, 04:46 AM
meh. I wasn't that impressed by this one.

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">The whole point of the scariness of the daleks is that you don't know what's in them. Sure the oldbies know, but it's wrecked part of the scariness for a whole load of newbies. And having it kill itself? For me that wiped out the whole unstoppable unreasoning killing machine http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif (yes I know there were mitigating circumstances) </td></tr></table>

Did anyone notice the callsign of Van Statten's helicopter / jet? What's up with that? http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Joe Siegler
05-02-2005, 06:10 PM

The whole point of the scariness of the daleks is that you don't know what's in them. Sure the oldbies know, but it's wrecked part of the scariness for a whole load of newbies

</td></tr></table>

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">That's been shown a few times already in the past - this was really nothing new. We've seen the inside of a Dalek before.

</td></tr></table>

Most everyone seems to forget the issue of going up stairs was resolved already back in 1988 in Sylvester McCoy's Dalek story. And a couple of years before that, Davros hovered in Colin Baker's Dalek story, too.

Duoae
05-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Joe3DR said:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">That's been shown a few times already in the past - this was really nothing new. We've seen the inside of a Dalek before.

</td></tr></table>

Most everyone seems to forget the issue of going up stairs was resolved already back in 1988 in Sylvester McCoy's Dalek story. And a couple of years before that, Davros hovered in Colin Baker's Dalek story, too.

I didn't forget. Did anyone think that spoiler <font color="#1F1F22"> the dalek innards were less scarier than they were originally? I remember it being more slimy, darker green and generally more disgusting to look at.... not like some cutey'ed-up Jim Henson workshop reject. </font>

supermeerkat
05-03-2005, 04:04 AM
Duoae said:
I didn't forget. Did anyone think that spoiler <font color="#1F1F22"> the dalek innards were less scarier than they were originally? I remember it being more slimy, darker green and generally more disgusting to look at.... not like some cutey'ed-up Jim Henson workshop reject. </font>

I didn't think that they were too bad. The depiction of them were worse in the Peter Cushing mpvies.

This episode showed an interesting change to CE Doctor's personality, namely that he didn't have any qualms about destroying all the Dalek's, whilst TB Doctor agonised about whether he had the right to exterminate them as a species.

Mountain Man
05-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Duoae said:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">By that point in the story, you were supposed to feel sympathy for the pathetic creature that was the Dalek, so it's understandable they didn't want to make it too repulsive. Also, its DNA had been altered by Rose which could account for its changed appearance.</td></tr></table>

Chimera
05-07-2005, 02:47 PM
heheh I love Simon Pegg http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love.gif http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love.gif http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love.gif

And PLEASE! - what is all the Bad Wolf stuff about?

supermeerkat
05-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Another good episode. Simon Pegg, as ever, was excellent.

This new series continues to get better and better. The Doctor continues to become more interesting, how much actually does he know? More than he is prepared to let on I think.

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> I'm glad to see that young man, picked up last week, got sent home at the end of the episode - his acting was rather wooden this episode. I think it's not the last we will be seeing of him though - with that computer thing in his head, and his strong sense of aggrievement at the doctor he could go on to become a new villain.

Did anyone spot the reference to the Face of Bo (sp?), who first appeared in the episode "End of the World"? Apparently he is pregnant(!), to which the Doctor replies "Again?" http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
</td></tr></table>

cheeseboy
05-08-2005, 06:56 AM
One of the better (in an already great series) episodes I thought. Simon Pegg is always a good addition to a cast, and he was wonderfully camp and sinister as the editor.
I want a beef flavoured slush puppy now.

Mountain Man
05-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Chimera said:

Nobody really knows.

Edit: Just watched it. Great episode! Ranks up there with The End of the World.

Next week's episode, again, looks very interesting. And Rose finally screams like the Doctor Who companions of old!

Chimera
05-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Mountain Man said:

Chimera said:

Nobody really knows.

OK. This is getting bizarre.
Goto http://www.whoisdrwho.co.uk/ which is the site behind the search engine address in the first episode.

Now, click on the link for GeoComtex (Van stattens company in the dalek episode) Goto the support page.
Translate the morse code in the first question. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

supermeerkat
05-08-2005, 07:03 PM
The morse code says "BAD WOLF"

Have you noticed that the page http://www.whoisdrwho.co.uk/ has pictures of David Tenant (the next Doctor Who), Bill Nighy (a Doctor Who candidate) and Richard E Grant (the internet doctor Who) and a picture of a woman, who I think, is an early Doctor Who assistant. Interesting. Perhaps some internet campaign, or something for the hardcore fans. Or perhaps nothing at all.

On the disclaimer page for the GeoComTex site there is the text:

Obviously we are completely fictional.This is a fictional website created for the new series of Doctor Who by bbc.co.uk's official Doctor Who webteam.

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Joe Siegler
05-10-2005, 11:47 AM
The following couple of shots are ones I really liked from the Dalek episode.

Joe Siegler
05-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Dalek shot 2 - Great "disgusted" look on Ecceleston

Joe Siegler
05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Dalek shot 3 - I really liked the eyepiece view. Made Rose look really good in this. It looks better in motion, though.

Joe Siegler
05-10-2005, 11:50 AM
And finally, the Dalek after it's "water escapade".

Great scene this is.

namrorrim
05-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey Joe.
How do you manage to get such a great screenshot?

I assume you have a tv card, and you capture the program, then take a snapshot.

I capture using a pvr-250 at dvd resolution (740x480), with a 6000+ bitrate, but my screenshot is not as sharp.

What's your secret?

mirrorman, errrr... namrorrim!

Duoae
05-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Hmm. today's episode i can take or leave. Personally, although i can see that Rose was probably overcome with feelings she wasn't used to dealing with, i thought she acted completely retarted considering her previous encounters with the unknown.

bubba
05-15-2005, 02:20 PM
There could have been an even better time paralax ending <table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> where Rose's dad, on getting himself run over to repair time was actually saved by another Rose Tyler(rose2) split from the original time event when Rose saved her dad. Then the latest Rose(rose1) then had to prevent her other rose(rose2) from saving her dad.

So heres the scene...Car appears from no where and Roses' dad runs to the car to kill himself, but Rose2 then appears from nowhere as well and runs out to save her dad(from a parrallel event and the original save scene), but Rose1 dives for Rose2 to prevent herself from saving her dad.</td></tr></table>

A kind of selfless sacrafice of time.

Does that monkey with your brain or what ?????

edited with spoiler tags as requested

Mountain Man
05-15-2005, 02:28 PM
^^^
Dude, use spoiler tags! Not everybody has seen the episode yet.

Mountain Man
05-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the spoiler edits!

Finally saw the episode last night, and I liked it overall. Has anybody else noticed the series is getting less jokey as it moves along? Father's Day had its humor, but the overall tone was much darker and more tragic. My biggest complaint?

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">The Doctor is just so damn passive! I really want this new Doctor to be more proactive, and I thought we were going to get it here. When he discovered that the key was still connected to the TARDIS and attempted to get the TARDIS back, I thought, "Finally! The Doctor is going to save the day!" But then he didn't (though I was surprised when he got eaten) and it was once again up to somebody else to find and implement the solution.</td></tr></table>

Other than that, I enjoyed it. It was a wonderfully heart felt human drama. Instead of being your typical time paradox story (no spoiler to those who saw last week's teaser), this one explored the human aspect which really gave the story its emotional weight. Depsite my complaints above, I have to give Eccelstone props for another riveting performance. He really has become the Doctor to me. Also, Billie Piper continues to prove herself to be an excellent actress in her own right.

Chimera
05-16-2005, 01:20 PM
I thought it was brilliant. By the end of it I was crying my eyes out (so too were most of my co-workers I discovered today)

Mountain Man
05-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes, a very moving episode! The character of Peter Tyler was well written and wonderfully acted.

Joe Siegler
05-19-2005, 04:32 PM
namrorrim said:
Hey Joe.
How do you manage to get such a great screenshot?

I assume you have a tv card, and you capture the program, then take a snapshot.

I capture using a pvr-250 at dvd resolution (740x480), with a 6000+ bitrate, but my screenshot is not as sharp.

What's your secret?

mirrorman, errrr... namrorrim!

Just used the source video, played it in PowerDVD and did a screen dump. I don't have a TV card - I'm also not in the UK, so I don't have access to the original broadcast.

Fat John
05-20-2005, 05:53 AM
The BBC are thinking about making their broadcasts availiable for download after they've been played FYI.

namrorrim
05-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Joe3DR said:

Just used the source video, played it in PowerDVD and did a screen dump. I don't have a TV card - I'm also not in the UK, so I don't have access to the original broadcast.

So my next q. is: What is the source spec. and where did you get it? To play in PowerDVD, I'm guessing it's from a DVD. If it's from a DVD, where did you get it, and how did 'they' create it? If it's captured from a source, then the source must be putting out a better signal quality than my (Canuck) cable.

Must be HD to start with.

My capture size is 720x480, but if the original broadcast is less than that I guess it's not going to make any difference capturing at the higher res

Mountain Man
05-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Fat John said:
The BBC are thinking about making their broadcasts availiable for download after they've been played FYI.

Really? Do you have any more information about this?

Chimera
05-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Mountain Man said:

Fat John said:

Really? Do you have any more information about this?

It's called Interactive Media Player

If they can pull it off it'll be fantastic. ATM the aim is to let people download drm'd files through the use of a p2p app. The files expire after 7 days.

There's going to be a trial of it in September and you can put yourself forward as a tester and get more info here here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/imp/)

cheeseboy
05-21-2005, 09:15 AM
It seems that tonights episode has been toned down a bit. ( source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4557853.stm) ). Hope it doesn't impact the episodes atmosphere too much.

Mountain Man
05-21-2005, 11:28 AM
So tonight's episode is supposed to be scary? The preview made it look like something from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow!

Fat John
05-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Good episode I thought.

cheeseboy
05-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Good episode, really quite sinister and dark in places.

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">Its a cliffhanger all right.</td></tr></table>

supermeerkat
05-21-2005, 01:20 PM
An excellent episode. One of the best so far, I thought.

Really creepy, <table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> especially when the old doctor transforms into one of the gas mask monster things. Also, the little boy looking for his mummy http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The laugh of the episode when Rose introduces the doctor as "Mr Spock" to the other timer traveller.
</td></tr></table>

Fat John
05-21-2005, 01:28 PM
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> My favorite bit was when his time meachine got a phone call from a little lost boy http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif </td></tr></table>

Chimera
05-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Good episode.

I think <table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> gasmasks </td></tr></table> are creepy anyways, quite gruesome even without the controversial sound effects http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Mountain Man
05-22-2005, 02:36 PM
cheeseboy said:
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">Its a cliffhanger all right.</td></tr></table>

I hadn't read anything about this episode, so that caught me completely by surprise!

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">I also like their nod to the fans by putting the preview after the credits with plenty of warning.</td></tr></table>

supermeerkat said:
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">The laugh of the episode when Rose introduces the doctor as "Mr Spock" to the other timer traveller.
</td></tr></table>

I like the line that followed:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">"Well, what was I supposed to say? You don't even have a name! Don't you ever get tired of being called 'The Doctor'? Doctor who?</td></tr></table>

Joe Siegler
05-27-2005, 10:59 AM
namrorrim said:

Joe3DR said:

So my next q. is: What is the source spec. and where did you get it? To play in PowerDVD, I'm guessing it's from a DVD. If it's from a DVD, where did you get it, and how did 'they' create it? If it's captured from a source, then the source must be putting out a better signal quality than my (Canuck) cable.

PowerDVD can play more than DVD's. It can play AVI/MPG/etc.. But that is not what this thread is about - let's get back to the topic at hand, ok? If you want to discuss players and formats, choose a more appropirate thread, please.

As for the episode from last Saturday, I haven't watched it yet. I didn't have the time, and as the week rolled on, I decided to intentionally wait till this Saturday's episode airs and watch 'em back to back.

There's four left to go at this point.

Joe Siegler
05-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Mountain Man said:
Yes, a very moving episode! The character of Peter Tyler was well written and wonderfully acted.

But terribly predictable. I figured out the way the episode was going to end rather quickly. I usally don't do that - I'm generally one to let an episode come to me, I sometimes don't see even obvious ways out. But this one was pretty glaring, I thought.

Still I rather loved the episode, well done - even if predictable.

supermeerkat
05-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Play with the Dr Who theme tune. (http://www0.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/news/radiophonatron.shtml) http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

supermeerkat
05-28-2005, 02:59 PM
That episode wasn't too bad, not the best though. Some nice ideas.

Chimera
05-28-2005, 05:03 PM
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> schlecter wolf written on the side of the bomb http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </td></tr></table>

Not bad, still damn creepy.

Next weeks looks good though http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Duoae
05-29-2005, 05:38 PM
I really liked that episode. Missed the first airing but caught tonights on BBC3. The Doctor Dances, what a cool and unusual title. I think this two-parter has been my favourite episode this series.

Mountain Man
05-30-2005, 11:28 AM
What a great ending! The Doctor finally gets to save the day!

"You want moves, Rose? I'll give you moves!"

I loved it. I'm going to so miss Ecclestone when he leaves at the end of the season.

Duoae
05-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Mountain Man said:
I'm going to so miss Ecclestone when he leaves at the end of the season.

I agree. I'm already dreading the end of this series.....

BioHazard
05-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Mountain Man said:

I loved it. I'm going to so miss Ecclestone when he leaves at the end of the season.

I heard about that, though I'm not sure why he's leaving. Surely they'll need to reveal the new Doctor at the end of the series.

Joe Siegler
05-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Permadeath said:

Mountain Man said:

I heard about that, though I'm not sure why he's leaving. Surely they'll need to reveal the new Doctor at the end of the series.

Not necessarily. It's been done before. We didn't get a regeneration from McGann to Eccleston. We also didn't get a real regeneration from Troughton to Pertwee either (check your tapes).

Although my gut feeling says we'll get one. I have no proof of that.

supermeerkat
05-31-2005, 03:16 PM
A thought that occured to me today, when I should have been working: If the McGann movie is canon, does that mean that the Master is still trapped in the bowels of the tardis?

supermeerkat
05-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Joe3DR said:
Although my gut feeling says we'll get one. I have no proof of that.

I agree. I think it will be important to establish continuity in this new series.

Doctor Who has been off the air for 16 years, and a new series starts with a new doctor, and then the next series will have a different doctor. It will be important to establish to the public that the Doctor is essentially the same person, hence the regeneration will be shown.

Mountain Man
05-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Permadeath said:
I heard about that, though I'm not sure why he's leaving.

Apparently it was planned from the beginning for CE to only do one season. Early reports claimed that he was afraid of being typecast and that he found the fast-paced shooting schedule too difficult, but it was later revealed that this was just the BBC talking out of its ass and that CE had said no such thing.

Surely they'll need to reveal the new Doctor at the end of the series.

As I understand it <table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">the final episode will feature the series' iconic regeneration scene. A new actor, David Tenant, has already been chosen to replace CE, and it is reported that the regeneration scene has already been filmed.</td></tr></table>

Mountain Man
05-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Joe3DR said:
We didn't get a regeneration from McGann to Eccleston. We also didn't get a real regeneration from Troughton to Pertwee either (check your tapes).

Yeah, well, just as long as it's not like the daft transition from Colin Baker to Sylvester McCoy. Granted, the production team didn't have much choice, but still...

Joe Siegler
05-31-2005, 09:48 PM
supermeerkat said:
A thought that occured to me today, when I should have been working: If the McGann movie is canon, does that mean that the Master is still trapped in the bowels of the tardis?

I suppose if you want to look at it that way, yeah. But it's Science Fiction. I suppose if someone wants to use the Master, they'll use him - probably ignoring his last status. I know for awhile there while JNT was producer in the 80's there would always be some small reference to the Master's last appearance whenever he showed up again ("So, you escaped from Castrovalva" in Time Flight). I doubt we'll get such a thing, and if we do, it might be something as vague as "Uh, aren't you out of regenerations", which might get a reply "Hey, I did <insert technobabble>". It's already been established in the show's canon that you can have more than 12 regenerations anyway. Evidence is the Five Doctors when the High Council offered the Master a completely new lifecycle for helping out.

Doctor Who has been off the air for 16 years, and a new series starts with a new doctor, and then the next series will have a different doctor. It will be important to establish to the public that the Doctor is essentially the same person, hence the regeneration will be shown.

I hadn't considered the fact that a regeneration might be necessary to keep the new public interest going. I agreed with RTD's explanation as to why there wasn't a regeneration at the start of the new series. It made sense. I don't believe the same stance still applies.

Mountain Man said:

Joe3DR said:
We didn't get a regeneration from McGann to Eccleston. We also didn't get a real regeneration from Troughton to Pertwee either (check your tapes).

Yeah, well, just as long as it's not like the daft transition from Colin Baker to Sylvester McCoy. Granted, the production team didn't have much choice, but still...

No arguments there. There really wasn't much they could do. And I don't fault Colin Baker one bit for the stance he took. I suppose it was better than no regeneration.

Mountain Man said:
Apparently it was planned from the beginning for CE to only do one season. Early reports claimed that he was afraid of being typecast and that he found the fast-paced shooting schedule too difficult, but it was later revealed that this was just the BBC talking out of its ass and that CE had said no such thing.

That's the truth as far as I've read it. I just wish the producers had signed someone who wanted to stick around longer than just one series. I fault the production for casting him that way. The season we've gotten is quite good, and I suppose was probably necessary for long term survival beyond one new series. However, I would have preferred someone who would stick around longer.

It also likely we'll now never have a McGann to Eccelston regeneration, unless it's really done in a flashback sequence when the Doctor is explaining regeneration. Any way you cut it, I think that boat has sailed. Having said that, I'd still like to see one, hokey though the excuse might be for it's apperance after we've moved on to Tennant.

I'm also behind on the new series. I haven't seen the last two episodes (The Empty Child & The Doctor Dances) yet.

Duoae
06-01-2005, 03:41 AM
Joe3DR said:
I'm also behind on the new series. I haven't seen the last two episodes (The Empty Child & The Doctor Dances) yet.

You're missing two great episodes!

Joe Siegler
06-01-2005, 11:11 AM
It's not that I don't want to - I haven't had the time.

Duoae
06-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah, i understand. But i was just making sure you knew! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Siegler
06-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Duoae said:

Joe3DR said:

You're missing two great episodes!

Finally got the time tonight to watch Empty Child & The Doctor Dances.

Wow - great stuff! Some of the best of the series. I look at episodes like this, and then I look at the first episode of the series, and am afraid people will watch that first episode, think it's crap, tune out - and miss stuff like this. What a shame if that happens.

Are you my mommy?

Anyone see Boom Town yet? That's next on my list, probably tomorrow.

Chimera
06-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Yeah I saw it, wasn't the best, although it's nice to see the beeb showing Cardiff as Cardiff for once.

blaidd drwg - There I was thinking we'd get an explanation http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> And look who's back next week! hurrah! </td></tr></table>

Fat John
06-05-2005, 10:42 AM
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> Has the "dark wolf" thing really appeared in every episode? If so where?</td></tr></table>

supermeerkat
06-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Fat John said:
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> Has the "dark wolf" thing really appeared in every episode? If so where?</td></tr></table>

I'm not sure if it's every eipsopde, but pretty much most of them.

In "Rose", the Nestene Consciousness quite clearly shrieks the words “Bad Wolf!” as the Tardis is revealed.

In The "End of the World", the Moxx of Balhoon mentions to the Face of Bo that they are facing “the Bad Wolf scenario”.

In The "Unquiet Dead", psychic scullery maid Gwyneth tells Rose that she’s seen the darkness in her mind — “the big bad wolf”.

In "Aliens of London", a young boy tags the Tardis with the words “BAD WOLF” in white paint.

In "World War Three", the American newsreader is identified as Mal Loup — at least, on the website version (requires RealPlayer). I can’t see such identification on the broadcast version.

In "Dalek" the call sign of Van Statten’s helicopter is “Bad Wolf One”.

In "The Long Game", The Face of Bo announces his pregnancy on Bad Wolf TV.

In "Father’s Day", the words “BAD WOLF” reappear in graffiti.

In "The Doctor Dances", Captain Jack rides a WWII bombt hat has “Schlechter Wolf” written on it.

In "Boom town" bad wolf, in welsh, is the name of the nuclear reactor.

Oh, and more info on badwolf can be found here (http://www.badwolf.org.uk/)

</td></tr></table>

supermeerkat
06-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Oh, and check out this (http://www.whoisdoctorwho.co.uk/index6.shtml)

Just found a rather amusing bit of the above website, on testimonials of people who have seen the doctor (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/whoisdoctorwho/sightings.shtml) :

Arthur Dent [said] this rather odd man was lying down in front of a bulldozer in front of my home.

Alex [said]: I saw him at the Science Museum. During my visit of the Star Trek-Science Exhibition. There was this man who was abviously amused about the shown props of a possible future.

Marty McFly [said]: I know that man, he stole my DeLorean!!!

Lots more stuff, but the above three made me chuckle.

Joe Siegler
06-05-2005, 09:17 PM
I watched Boom Town tonight.

Given who the main alien was, I wasn't thrilled. The reason was that I didn't much care for their other apperance in the series.

However, this worked for me. Rather a personal, introspective episode. Probably a "calm before the storm" which is the final two episodes.

Especially given what was shown in back end of the trailer for next week. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Siegler
06-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Fat John said:
Has the "dark wolf" thing really appeared in every episode? If so where?

I unspoilered this, since the payoff for it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not sure if it's been in EVERY episode, but it's sometimes not obvious. In the Dalek episode, the name of the helicopter piloted by Van Statten was "Bad Wolf". (not Dark wolf)

In the two parter with the Slitheeen, a kid grafittied (sp?) it on the side of the Tardis.

Edit: Nevermind, I see someone has posted the Bad Wolf appearances for every episode above. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mountain Man
06-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Boom Town: Not a bad episode, but not a great one, either. It had some nice moments but wasn't nearly as entertaining as other episodes this season. Also, Captain Jack is a little annoying. The really memorable parts:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">Finally, a direct reference to "bad wolf"! I wonder where they're going with this?

And Margeret identifying the Doctor as a killer. Eccleston is an amazing actor, who can convey so much with just an almost imperceptible shift of gaze. That's what made this little exchange work so well.</td></tr></table>

Fat John
06-08-2005, 11:18 AM
I just got the new Radio Times, and guess what next week's episode is called...

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> "Doctor Who, Bad Wolf" </td></tr></table>

Joe Siegler
06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
That's not new - the title's been out for a month or so.

What I'm more interested in is this screen capture from the trailer from this past week's episode for Episode 12. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fat John
06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
The set seems a lot more retro than I expected it to be.

Tedski
06-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Fat John said:

Oddly enough, the whole series is about 'time travel', so sometimes you may well get 'retro'. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tedski
06-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Joe3DR said:
That's not new - the title's been out for a month or so.

What I'm more interested in is this screen capture from the trailer from this past week's episode for Episode 12. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I might just have to rearrange the furniture in the living room ready. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

An asied - anyone read the any of the comments from the part of the Dr. Who BBC webby to do with how kids are viewing it? I personally think that they are absolutely brilliant - especially the running commentaries on episodes. At least in the UK people seem to remember the 'fun, scary' factors from years ago. I also loved the fact that most kids seemed to love/hate the 'where's my mummy? thing. As a piece of writing for all generations, they will do well to surpass that. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mountain Man
06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Fat John said:

That's whay I like it!

Chimera
06-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Run for your lives!

Dalek kidnapped from Wookey Hole, ransom note explains kidnapper's awaiting 'The Doctors' instructions http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4077698.stm

supermeerkat
06-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Holy shit http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Tonight's episode was the best one yet - it was bloody great!

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> Was that Davros at the end of the episode? </td></tr></table>

Fat John
06-11-2005, 06:34 PM
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> It had to be. </td></tr></table>

supermeerkat
06-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Of course! My heart skipped a beat at point. I just didn't think Doctor Who could get any cooler, but then it did. Wow! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Joe Siegler
06-12-2005, 01:07 AM
What annoyed me was that the episode ended - I was genuinlye mad when I couldn't see the resolution right away. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought the game show stuff at the beginning was a bit much - somewhat hokey, although I liked the Doctor's indignancy about being in there. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Something about next week:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">I hope that booming voice at the end of the trailer for next week wasn't Davros. I'd rather them not use that. Next best guess would be Emperor Dalek.

However, an interesting theory I read online is that it might be the Rose-ified Dalek from Episode 6. Now that would be interesting. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif</td></tr></table>

I wonder where all these Daleks came from. McCoy's Doctor wiped 'em all out in his Dalek story. Yeah, I know it's Science Fiction, and time travel and all that, but I doubt they'll keep that consistancy. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

supermeerkat
06-12-2005, 09:51 AM
To change the subject slightly, I've just rented and watched "Tomb of the Cyberman", one of the legendary "lost and found" stories for the Patrick Troughton era. From all the things I'd read about it I was expecting a classic, but what i got was a childish piece of entertainment, that was badly acted, with terrible american accents, illogical plots, unconvincing dialogue and a faint whiff of racism concerning the only black actor.

A few points points that stood out:
Some of the technobabble made me laugh out loud, for example, the Doctor explaining the need to convert from "binary to digital" to solve a "symbolic logic" problem.
The Doctor imprisons the bad guys in a room that he knows has a gun it.
Klieg, the badguy, and a member of the "Leaugue of Logicians" simply assumes the cybermen will assist him when they are freed, because they a "logical" is laughable. Kilieg continues this line of thinking even after the cybercontroller explains that the whole setup is a trap designed to attract "intelligent humans", and that all the humans are going to be "converted".
Victoria finding a cybermat, and despite the Doctor telling her it is "extremely dangerous" she puts it in her handbag. This leads into a plot device so pathetic it's embarassing.
The same bit of footage of the cyberman awakening is played four times, and then played backwards to indicate their suspended animation.

But, despite all this I did enjoy it as a piece of lightweight, disposable entertainment - the sense of claustrophobia was powerfully built up in some very good sets (there were only 5 different locations shown), and Patrick Troughton's Doctor was worth watching - he came across as a cheerul meddler and manipulator who knew far more than he was letting on. The re-awakening of the cyberman was chilling, and with their heavily distorted electronic voices they came across as disturbingly non human.

Duoae
06-12-2005, 06:05 PM
I've missed this weekend's Dr. Who! NOOO! Too much work... damn it. Does anyone know where i can *cough* get it *cough*...

Fat John
06-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Look out for repeats on legal TV, both terrestrial and digital.

Duoae
06-12-2005, 06:37 PM
That was today. BBC 3 7pm. I'm on holiday from tuesday so i won't get to see next week's episode either http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mountain Man
06-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Joe3DR said:
I thought the game show stuff at the beginning was a bit much - somewhat hokey, although I liked the Doctor's indignancy about being in there. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, Eccelston played this bit well. Personally, I didn't mind the gameshow stuff, and it didn't last long. Plus, Captain Jack got some great lines this episode!

"Your ratings just went up."
"Trust me, ladies, you really don't want to know."
"Do I look like an 'off limits' kind of guy?"

I also love the Doctor's smoldering rage when he realized who was behind it all.

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">I hope that booming voice at the end of the trailer for next week wasn't Davros. I'd rather them not use that. Next best guess would be Emperor Dalek.

However, an interesting theory I read online is that it might be the Rose-ified Dalek from Episode 6. Now that would be interesting. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif</td></tr></table>

Most likely, it's going to be a character that viewers who have only seen this particular season will recognize. If the producers reach too far back into Doctor Who canon, it's likely to alienate new viewers who won't get the benefit of being surprised. A character that only long-time fans would recognize would probably elicite a "Huh?" instead of a "Wow!" so on that point, your guess is probably the most likely.
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">Adam is another possibility. It's someone who is familiar with the Doctor and his history with the Daleks and who is probably harboring a grudge after getting uncermoniously dumped on earth with an implant in his head.</td></tr></table>

I wonder where all these Daleks came from. McCoy's Doctor wiped 'em all out in his Dalek story.

You can go back even further: Hartnell's Doctor apparently destroyed them in the same story where they were introduced!

supermeerkat
06-13-2005, 06:16 AM
My theory is:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> That the mystery voice is the master, who was trapped in the Tardis by McGann's Doctor in the 1996 Film. I base this speculation on the the shot in the trailer, where the Doctor hears the mystery voice, appears to be in the Tardis. </td></tr></table>

Chimera
06-13-2005, 07:27 AM
Just a heads up - you can see a different trailer a day on the beeb website. Gives away a few more clues perhaps?

clicky (http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/homepage/int/promo/B/3/img/-/mediaselector/check/broadband/mediawrapper/consoles/drwho?redirect=console.shtml&nbram=1&bbram=1)

Mountain Man
06-13-2005, 01:23 PM
supermeerkat said:
My theory is:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> That the mystery voice is the master, who was trapped in the Tardis by McGann's Doctor in the 1996 Film. I base this speculation on the the shot in the trailer, where the Doctor hears the mystery voice, appears to be in the Tardis. </td></tr></table>

Again, this would alienate new and casual viewers, so it's unlikely. I fully expect this season to be completely self-contained. There have been several intentional nods to Doctor Who history, but none of the major plot points have required one to be familiar with stories predating this season, so look for a character that was recently introduced. Either that or it'll be a completely original character that will surprise both old and new fans.

supermeerkat
06-16-2005, 08:17 AM
The BBC confirms third series of Doctor Who! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4098270.stm)

Mountain Man
06-16-2005, 08:21 AM
A third season already? Wow! The Beeb must be really happy with the ratings!

supermeerkat
06-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Mountain Man said:
A third season already? Wow! The Beeb must be really happy with the ratings!

The BBC claims not to be ratings driven, but has been second to ITV (it's competitor) for quite a while, and so when it (infrequently) gets better ratings it tends to shout about them.

Also, the Cybermen are set to return! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

supermeerkat
06-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Big spoiler for ep13:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> The booming voice at the end of ep12 was the Emperor Dalek. More infohere (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20483) </td></tr></table>

cheeseboy
06-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Cybermen in series 2! I'm even happier now. Wonder if any other classic enemies will return in the next 2 series.

Joe Siegler
06-16-2005, 03:00 PM
cheeseboy said:
Cybermen in series 2! I'm even happier now. Wonder if any other classic enemies will return in the next 2 series.

I'll be curious to see what form the Cybermen take in Series 28 http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. They've changed every single time they've appeared (with the possible exception of the Five Doctors) in some small way. I just hope they're more like they used to be in the early days. In the latter stories (Silver Nemesis & Attack of..), they were pretty easy to destroy. Even Earthshock they weren't that terribly menacing. What I mean by that is if you go back to the Troughton Cybermen stories, they were these big indestructible enemies. They were really hard to kill. Ever since the concept of "gold kills them" appeared in Tom Baker's Cyberman story, they have become easier and easier to wipe out. Gold tipped bullets, gold arrows, gold dust... They're dead. I hope that little thing is either left out, or they've developed an immunation to it. That's my only beef with the Cybermen. And the final Hartnell story with the Cybermen? Outside of just physically looking funny, I think they were pretty menacing as a character.

But the better news is that Rose is in all of Series 2. I wasn't thrilled with her at first, but I've grown to like this companion - better than a lot that have come before her. And I think her character being there for a regeneration into a new Doctor is necessary for the audience. I think if you changed the companion and the Doctor at the same time, you might as well have given up all the momentum that this series has built up.

Also, Capt Jack is remaining in Series 2 as well, which is cool - I've rather grown to like him as well.

There will be a second Xmas special in 2006 as well. News links with specific details:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/cgi-bin/view...mp;tmpl=newsrss (http://www.gallifreyone.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?id=EEEllZEpuyeHcrRloF&style=newsrss&tmpl=newsrss)

Joe Siegler
06-16-2005, 03:03 PM
supermeerkat said:
Big spoiler for ep13:

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> The booming voice at the end of ep12 was the Emperor Dalek. More infohere (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20483) </td></tr></table>

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler">That's predicated on the fact that the actor who has done the Dalek voices for the new show also has done them in the Big Finish audio series for a couple of years. Apparently (although I've not heard it personally) the booming voice used in the trailer at the end of Ep 12 is the same one used as Emperor Dalek. I really hope it's NOT Emperor Dalek, for reasons Mountain Man has stated that I agree with. It needs to be self contained. The uber geek Dr Who fans would love it to be Emperor Dalek, but that's not much of a payoff for new fans who only know this new series. Emperor Dalek has only been used in two stories. 1967's Evil of the Daleks, and 1988's Remembrance of the Daleks. And in the latter, it was just Davros sitting inside anyway. I think making it Emperor Dalek is not enough of a payoff. Although I'm saying that without having seen it, and so far this series generally hasn't disappointed me, so I won't totally shit on the idea until I see it.</td></tr></table>

Granted, this episode was screened on Wed at the BAFTA awards, so the events of Ep 13 are known now - I'm just desperately trying to avoid them. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

supermeerkat
06-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Spoilertastic stuff below. Highlight at your peril. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Unfortunately for you, Joe, it was the Emperor dalek.

Not a bad episode, but not one of the best - I liked the idea of mad, religous daleks. I especially liked the two daleks taking a nervous step back when the Doctor yelled at them. Captain Jack's last kiss with the Doctor made me and Mrs Supermeerkat laugh out loud.

But, the "Bad Wolf" thing still didn't make any sense - Rose had absorbed the power of the TARDIS, became god like and left the "Bad wolf" messages scattered through time. And it was at that point the story became a little weak - Rose used her super powers to destroy the Daleks, bring Captain Jack back to life and "reset" Earth after the Dalek's had annihilated most of it.

The regeneration scene was good, and the new Doctor's first lines were suitable quirky ("Hello. New teeth. Now where were we?") - and i'm looking forward to see how he'll perfom in the christmas episode, but at the moment I'm a bit sceptical as to how CE's Doctor is going to be bettered by CT's Doctor.

On the whole, Mrs Supermeerkat and I give this series 9/10 - and we think it is one of the best series in Doctor Who's history, with some of the best stories and characters as well.

Next March can't come soon enough.

</td></tr></table>

Chimera
06-18-2005, 02:23 PM
awesome!!!

<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> I'm so glad that Captain Jack got to live, and a little miffed that they just took off without him, but here's hoping he'll be back.

One thing puzzled me, how did Roddrick know about daleks?

I'll finish on a girly note, I think David Tennant is gorgeous (evem if his lovely accent seems to have disappeared), can't wait to see how he turns out as the new Doctor</td></tr></table>

supermeerkat
06-18-2005, 02:46 PM
I couldn't quite make out the new Doctor's accent.

Joe Siegler
06-19-2005, 01:52 AM
Bugger off with spoilers, the series is done now. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="red">If you read past this, and haven't seen the last episode, don't do it, you're gonna get yourself all kinds of pissed off http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif</font>

My feelings after having JUST watched it. Might change later, though.

Things I didn't much care for:

1) I don't like the "religious" Daleks. Shouldn't they have wanted to kill themselves like the Dalek in Episode 6 for being "impure"? "Don't Blaspheme" & "Worship Him" from Daleks? Didn't much care for that. Being religious means you have feelings and emotions - which the Daleks aren't really supposed to have.

2) The Doctor didn't do much of anything except hang about in Floor 500 for most of this episode. Given how much of a pain in the ass they seemed to make the potential of Rose's rescue in the last episode, he pulled it off awfully easy. The big Dalek defense? Two missiles? That just seemed a bit weak. Did like him landing on top of Rose - has that ever happened before?

3) New Doctor looks a bit wet - but I didn't much care for Eccleston before I saw any of his episodes, so I won't hate it yet. Did look younger than Davison when he started, who looked pretty young at the time.

Things I liked.

1) Rose was awesome. Hell, I didn't even mind her mum in this one. Or the boyfriend.

2) Emperor Dalek looked pretty cool. I was worried that using such an old character wouldn't work, but there was just enough.. "The Emperor of the Daleks" by the Doctor seemed like enough to make it work from an explanation point. When it comes down to it, I suppose that was me worring about a 35 year old character being used now.

3) The last 5 minutes or so after Rose comes back with the Tardis was quite interesting.

4) A Dalek inside the Tardis was cool - I'm pretty sure that's the first time that's happened.

Random Notes:

1) This is now the second time all the Daleks have been eliminated. The other was in McCoy's Dalek story.

2) This is the first time the Doctor has regenerated standing up.

3) I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this Tardis is alive stuff. I know the classic series made mention of the Tardis having a link to it's operator, but never to THIS extent. And isn't the Master floating around in there somewhere? http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chimera, Capt Jack will be back - that was said so, but not straight away. This is many thousands of years in the future. Besides, the Daleks had invaded earth before (See First Doctor story), so they're known.

Mountain Man
06-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Following Joe's lead, no spoiler tags ahead!

Well, I was totally wrong about who the "booming voice" was. However, the idea worked because the story was about what he had done and not who he was, so it worked well enough but lacked a little of the "oomph" that it could have had if they had used a character introduced this season. When it got to the "They survived through me!" scene, I sat forward in anticipation only to go, "Oh. O.K."

So Rose is Bad Wolf? Not sure what to make of that. A bit of a deus ex machina ending, wasn't it? To give Rose these powers over time and space that basically allows her to rewind history. However, I did love the connection the Doctor felt with her when he realized that she could see things as he did, although the "I think you need a doctor" line was a bit naff.

I really liked Mickey's character in this episode! When Rose said that there was nothing left for her in her own time, Mickey knuckled down and said, "O.K. Let's send you back then." The strength of his resolve shows how much he really does care for Rose even if she won't return the affection. I loved that completely selfless quality. He's a lot like the Doctor in that way.

I really wasn't expecting the Doctor to regenerate! When he looked down and saw his hand glowing, I thought, "No, he's not!" I was convinced that he wouldn't regenerate until the Christmas special. It was a bitter sweet moment watching Christopher Eccelston's last brilliant scene as the Doctor. I think the impact of this scene, though, matches the intensity of the Davison/Baker regeneration, which I thought was one of the best in the program's history.

So now we have David Tennant. Nice that they gave him lines immediately after the regeneration (Colin Baker was the first Doctor in the history of the program to be given this honor). I liked his brief but understated performance even with the few brief lines he had. "New teeth. That's weird."

What a wild ride. I am eagerly looking forward to next season!

Chimera
06-19-2005, 06:43 AM
supermeerkat said:
I couldn't quite make out the new Doctor's accent.

Sounded like a flat southern accent to me.

I saw him in the Quatermass Experiment and he has a lovely scottish accent http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif *weak knees*

supermeerkat
06-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Chimera said:
Sounded like a flat southern accent to me.

Oh bollocks! I really liked that CE's Doctor didn't sound like a southener, and was hoping that DT's doctor wouldn't either.

Joe Siegler
07-25-2005, 12:42 PM
The new Doctor's outfit has been revealed. Attached a pic below. A few other links about this here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4714061.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/tennant/index.shtml

Nacho
07-25-2005, 12:45 PM
God damn...Still have yet to see this. I'll just download the episodes untill they come out on DVD.

Dave-ros
07-25-2005, 12:57 PM
That's more like it, much better than the rather oik-ish leather jacket and T-shirt Ecclestone wore (although he was still a good Doctor, I should point out). Time the Doctor was a bit of a dandy again... though one wonders if Rose will say he reminds her of her grandad, or even looks "gay" (just to "provoke discussion on that topic" again http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Glad to see there are still Doctor Who fans Stateside! \o/

supermeerkat
07-25-2005, 12:59 PM
I like that outfit. It reminds me of Ford Prefect from the BBC TV series of the Hitchhikers Guide.

Joe Siegler
07-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Actually, I don't much care for this. Mostly his hair, and not the outfit itself. Get a comb.

On the other hand, I detested Eccleston's outfit until I saw him in action, and then I thought it was cool.

Chimera
07-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I like it http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

imho Ecclestone's costume was very boring and drab. This doctor looks like he has a bit more character http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/thumbsup.gif

edit: to quote "geek chic" hurrah

Tedski
07-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Chimera said:
I like it http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

imho Ecclestone's costume was very boring and drab. This doctor looks like he has a bit more character http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/thumbsup.gif

edit: to quote "geek chic" hurrah

My concern with that would be that he'll need the 'costume' more due to lesser acting ability.

Mountain Man
07-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Everything I've read indicates that Tennant is an excellent actor.

And I like the costume! Next season can't get here soon enough.

Michelangelo
07-27-2005, 03:37 AM
He looks like a cross between Tom Baker and the next one not that that is a bad thing

I also don't like ecclestones outfit

Mountain Man
07-27-2005, 08:20 AM
My thoughts exactly, it looks like a mix of Tom Baker and Peter Davison.

Tedski
07-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Mountain Man said:
My thoughts exactly, it looks like a mix of Tom Baker and Peter Davison.

True enough. I actually didn't mind the Ecclestone 'look', mainly because it seemed simply more utilitarian. I don't mind at all the general dress 'foibles' of the various doctors, but I've always been somewhat irritated by the superfluous scarves warn. (Mostly Tom Baker of course)

Chimera
08-07-2005, 07:35 AM
well I never... (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1476264.html?menu=)

StarBegotten
08-08-2005, 03:48 AM
Hehe, I wonder now if they'll put the Royal Seal of approval on future DVD releases... http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Proves She has good taste though!

Mountain Man
08-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Pity she couldn't have used her royal influence to compel Eccelston to stay for one more season.

supermeerkat
08-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Mountain Man said:
Pity she couldn't have used her royal influence to compel Eccelston to stay for one more season.

He only intended to do one season. Nothing would have changed that.

Mountain Man
08-15-2005, 09:37 AM
I know that. It still would have been cool if he had decided to stay for at least one more season.

supermeerkat
08-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Mountain Man said:
I know that. It still would have been cool if he had decided to stay for at least one more season.

I really would have liked to have seen more of Eccleston, it's such a shame he didn't stay on. What I liked about him was his Doctor dressed and acted differently to the ones who came before. My biggest fear about DT is he tries to emulate previous Doctors in some way, rather than going for his own interpretation. People have already said how the new pics look like a cross between PD and TB - I hope he doesn't try act like those two Doctors.

Tang Lung
08-15-2005, 12:53 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...David Tennant is a 12 year old boy!!

Im actually quite looking forward to the next series though, wasnt too interested in the last series..but the whole thing has become quite a phenomenon all over again it seems.

Mountain Man
08-16-2005, 08:12 AM
supermeerkat said:
What I liked about him was his Doctor dressed and acted differently to the ones who came before.

Yeah, he was a lot more emotional and compassionate than the Doctor's previous incarnations. I'm not sure what to expect from Tennant, but judging by his costume, I suspect he will go the route of "manic energy".

Chimera
08-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Who Spy has started again

clicky (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/making/whospy2/index.shtml)

And on a slightly different note, the beeb has put up a list (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/confidential/index.shtml) of the music used in the Doctor Who Confidential episodes. It's a nice touch and I know I'll probably look up a couple of songs that I heard and liked.

Joe Siegler
08-18-2005, 12:23 PM
supermeerkat said:

Mountain Man said:

I really would have liked to have seen more of Eccleston, it's such a shame he didn't stay on. What I liked about him was his Doctor dressed and acted differently to the ones who came before. My biggest fear about DT is he tries to emulate previous Doctors in some way, rather than going for his own interpretation. People have already said how the new pics look like a cross between PD and TB - I hope he doesn't try act like those two Doctors.

Yeah, but let's face it. This is now the tenth doctor. The more you have, the less chance for originality. I won't damn DT until I see him and see how it plays out.

At this point in Eccleston's tenure, I wasn't confident in how it would work out, and it ended up great, so don't panic until AFTER you've seen the series. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Night Hacker
08-20-2005, 01:49 AM
I just recently started watching the new series on TV (I was nervous after bad memories of the first series) and now I am pissed off that I didn't watch this from the beginning!

What en excellent series!! They couldn't have picked better actors in my opinion. So far I haven't seen an episode I haven't liked and this fills a void that was left when Enterprise stopped.

I really look forward to each episode and wish it was far more often than once a week.

I love the intro so much I sometimes rewind my VCR and watch it over again at least 3 times! hehehe, I don't know what it is, but they done such a good job on it. I searched for an MP3 of the Dr. Who intro, I think this is from the old series, but it's better than nothing. Wouldn't mind an MP3 from the new series intro.

Joe Siegler
09-02-2005, 11:30 AM
I've really grown to like the new who. A lot.

I was a huge fan of the classic show. I love the old 60's black and white stuff, I even loved the latter 80's material.

When they first showed what Eccleston lookd like, I was prepared to hate it - Black leather jacket? What the hell? Turned out to be fabulous. Well written, well acted, and and just damn well put together.

I'm not a fan of Tennant's outfit now, but I feel the same way about it that I did about Eccleston, so I'll wait and see.

RugerMK1
09-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Eccleston did a great job as the Doctor. Had the brilliance and just apparent batshit insane feeling. There's no doubt in my mind that Eccleston is a great actor who I hope will move on to more success after favoring us with his rendition of the Doctor.

shiranui
09-05-2005, 02:23 AM
I think Tom Callow would have made an excellent Doctor Who.

Avon
09-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Joe3DR said:

I've really grown to like the new who. A lot.

I was a huge fan of the classic show. I love the old 60's black and white stuff, I even loved the latter 80's material.

When they first showed what Eccleston lookd like, I was prepared to hate it - Black leather jacket? What the hell? Turned out to be fabulous. Well written, well acted, and and just damn well put together.

I'm not a fan of Tennant's outfit now, but I feel the same way about it that I did about Eccleston, so I'll wait and see.

"Well now," - as for what the new version of "DW" has over the old. It's just brought it back to it's Fan's who never left and, a whole new generation of folks who hadn't seen the original series, perhaps except for on video's/dvd's etc.

This Fan having watched every single episode from day one (23rd November, 1963) of the original series and, all 13 of the new series as, aired on the BBC!!!

It took sometime for this fan to get used to the new style and, length of episode format, etc. Little to fault it otherwise.

Trouble is with single contained episodes no room for characterisation of characters as there is when it was over several episodes and, it has a rushed feeling in some of the episodes as, the result.

As, for the costume of the 9th and, 10th "DOCTOR'S" - certainly diffierent. Fans have always wanted to dress as, their favourite version and, being different is part of the look. So, being unnoticeable with a Black leather jacket was a slight let down - although, "CHRIS" was not!!!

"DAVID" being a fan of the series knows the possible pitfalls and, somehow I don't think "RTD" will let his version be too like his predecessors one's. As, for his outfit - again interesting and, smarter!!! Just wish it had been black as not a fan of wearing brown and, I tend to like wearing the outfits of a certain "DOCTOR"!!!

My only worry is that IF the actor playing the, "DOCTOR" get's any [u]younger</u> he'll be wearing nappies!!!

Tetsuro
09-29-2005, 05:40 AM
I've never seen a single episode of this TV, and I am intending to repair that little mishap sometime soon. But the problem is, with all these DVDs around, I don't know where to start from!

I've decided to start with two, but I want to hear your opinions: I want one which is generally considered to be the best Dr.Who story, and one which gives the best general idea of the show itself. Of course, if these two apply to the same story arc, all the better http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: It doesn't matter if it's in black&white. Honestly!

Joe Siegler
09-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Stuff to go for, I'm touching on each Doctor. Also, I'm picking stuff that actually still exists (some of the first two Doctors stuff does not).

Episode 1 of The Unearthly Child - the first ever episode. Sets the tone for the series. I think Episodes 2-4 are crap, but Episode 1 is awesome. Also, I'm partial to the "The Aztecs" story.

Patrick Troughton's Tomb of the Cyberman - a good Doctor #2 adventure.

Episode 10 of The War Games. The final episode of Patrick Troughton's run as the Doctor. It's seperate from the other 9 parts of the story, and was the first time we'd ever visited the Doctor's hoemworld. Sets up the third Doctor's era very well.

From Jon Pertwee's era, my two favorites are Frontier in Space, as well as The Time Warrior.

Tom Baker's story, The Talons of Weng-Chaing. For years I never understood why this was so popular, now I do. Excellent story.

Tom Baker's final story, Logopolis. In my opinion, the best Tom Baker story, although I'm sure some will argue that point.

Peter Davison's final story, The Caves of Androzani. One of the best modern stories. Earthshock is good too, as is the last historical program the show ever made, Black Orchid.

Colin Baker's Dalek story, Revelation of the Daleks is quite good. I'm also partial to Season 23, The Trial of a Time-Lord, but I wouldn't start there.

And from Sylvester McCoy, I'd go with his Dalek story as well (Remembrance of the Daleks). It's got some nice tie-ins to the first ever Who story. Also, Curse of Fenric is extremely good.

Paul McGann only had one story, the 1996 TV movie. Some think it's crap, but I rather liked it.

Don't forget to check out all of the 9th Doctor, Christopher Eccleston. Smashingly good stuff.

Also, don't forget the Five Doctors. Kind of weak plotwise, but it's nice to see 5 Doctors plus a boatload of companions all in the same place. When I started watching Doctor Who, that was my first story.

Tetsuro
09-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I know relatively little about Dr.Who itself, just about the production. Like how they came up with the idea of Doctor resurrecting himself to a new body when the original actor became too old and sick to continue. And how BBC wiped out old recordings of the episodes, which they now greatly regret and which is why there are so many story arcs long gone.

I read a review of "Lost in Time" and I couldn't understand how they approached the release on the basis of a hardcore fan with an access to complete episode guide. I think it would've been much more practical to just include the missing episodes in form of stills and/or text screens.

If I understood correctly, the story arc where Daleks first appeared is one of those arcs which is believed to have been lost?

Piano Man
09-29-2005, 10:39 AM
i can't believe it, but my dad was allowed to go into the Daleks (sort of) costume, you know what I mean.

He LOVES IT!!!! he is a freak of Dr Who.

Mountain Man
09-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Good choices Joe. I'd also recommend McCoy's final story "Survival" which also marked the end of the series original run.

But whatever you choose, be sure to watch the stories in their broadcast order, otherwise things may not make a whole lot of sense. The first story I ever saw was Tom Baker's last, "Logopolis", and while I found the program intriguing, I was also very confused.

That said, it really wouldn't be a bad idea to start with the most recent set of episodes starring Christopher Eccelston either since they were purposefully written with new viewers in mind. You don't need to know anything about previous stories to enjoy it since the entire season is self-contained.

Mountain Man
09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Tetsuro said:
If I understood correctly, the story arc where Daleks first appeared is one of those arcs which is believed to have been lost?

The original Dalek story still exists. It's the second story of the series (or third, if you consider the pilot episode its own story).

Tetsuro
09-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Mountain Man said:

Tetsuro said:

The original Dalek story still exists. It's the second story of the series (or third, if you consider the pilot episode its own story).

You mean the pilot is not 'soap opera'-ish like the rest of the series?

Dave-ros
09-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Actually, there was a pilot episode, but it's just an alternate version of the very first episode, never broadcast (but available on "William Hartnell - The Early Years).

Now, what should I recommend...? I liked "Inferno" (Jon Pertwee story), "Pyramids of Mars" (Tom Baker)... hmm, think man, think! "The Seeds of Death" (Patrick Troughton) is pretty good - must try and get the DVD version that's had its picture quality seriously improved over my old video version... come to think of it, I need more Doctor Who DVDs than the two I have - but I never see 'em cheap second-hand, so I'm kind of stuffed http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also agree with "The Tomb of the Cybermen" and "Remembrance of the Daleks" http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/thumbsup.gif

And don't turn your nose up at the audio recordings of the missing stories like "The Daleks' Master Plan" or "The Web of Fear" (I have 'em both on CD, and some others on tape) - they work surprisingly well, especially if you check out the Telesnaps (kind of photo novels) on the BBC website... see here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/photonovels/index.shtml)!!

Mountain Man
09-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Dave-ros said:
Actually, there was a pilot episode, but it's just an alternate version of the very first episode, never broadcast (but available on "William Hartnell - The Early Years).

Is that what I'm remembering? I seem to remember the pilot episode being its own standalone story which ended with them traveling back to prehistoric times. Were these two stories combined into one? I have a tape with a few different versions of the pilot as they refined the program for final broadcast.

Dave-ros
09-29-2005, 02:37 PM
You're remembering the original episode, "An Unearthly Child" (first broacast 23rd November 1963), which was technically part one of a four-part story (story A according to the documentation, known by the same title as that episode, or as "100,000 BC", "The Tribe of Gum", and probably a couple of other titles). It seems like a separate entity, so it'd be fair enough to regard it as such.

However, it's also a close remake of the unbroadcast pilot episode; the main difference I noticed (I have copies of both http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) was in a classroom scene - Susan, instead of reading that book about the French Revolution and saying "but that's not how it happened!", does a weird bit of artwork in which she seems to be drawing the TARDIS console as seen from above. That was just weird... I can see why they changed it in the final version http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There also exist some outtakes from the first scene in the TARDIS: one with the doors banging shut noisily, and another apparently (I haven't seen it) with Hartnell mangling the word "fault locator" into "fornicator" http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyway, this should probably go in the main Doctor Who thread... but ah, who cares http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joe Siegler
09-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Dave-ros said:And don't turn your nose up at the audio recordings of the missing stories like "The Daleks' Master Plan" or "The Web of Fear" (I have 'em both on CD, and some others on tape) - they work surprisingly well, especially if you check out the Telesnaps (kind of photo novels) on the BBC website... see here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/photonovels/index.shtml)!!

Don't drive him off. That stuff is really only for hardcore fans. There was a LOT more I could have recommended to him, but I wanted to give him a starting piont - not innundate him with every story.

And while I like the lost stuff, it is somewhat hard to take for a casual fan, you have to admit.

And the first story is known as "An Unearthly Child", or as was pointed out "100,000 BC", but the majority of fans refer to the first story as AUC. That also happens to be the name of the first actual episode. Back then, each individual episode had it's own title. That was abandonded somewhere in the middle of Season 3 and everything that came after it (until Eccleston) was Episode 1, 2, 3, etc...

Anyway, the first episode of An Unearthly Child/Tribe of Gum/100,000 BC is also called An Unearthly Child. There was a pilot shot but not used for various reasons. It's essentially as was pointed out a duplicate of the transmitted first epiosde. This untransmitted version is on home video, and is referred to as "the pilot", but it's mostly the same thing as the released final first episode. The differences are in "tone" - the Doctor is more harsh in the pilot, and the theme is slightly different. And the Tardis doors don't close right, either. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And yeah, let's keep discussions of the show itself in the other Doctor Who thread, let's keep this one for story recommendations to the first post, OK?

If I could merge threads with this software, I would - but I can't. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mister_Anderson
10-02-2005, 09:32 PM
I grew up in the John Pertwee/Tom Baker era & they remain my favourites still to this day although the 9th Doctor (Christoper Eccleston) was an awesome series - ep 6: "Dalek" being the standout for me.

One of the freakiest things I ever saw (and it still gives me a little shiver to this day) is Horus from tom Baker "Pyramids of Mars" series.

When he took off his mask and started coming through the portal I swear to god I had nightmares for about a week! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Mountain Man
10-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Joe3DR said:
There was a pilot shot but not used for various reasons. It's essentially as was pointed out a duplicate of the transmitted first epiosde. This untransmitted version is on home video, and is referred to as "the pilot", but it's mostly the same thing as the released final first episode. The differences are in "tone" - the Doctor is more harsh in the pilot, and the theme is slightly different. And the Tardis doors don't close right, either. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not to mention the bad lighting and other gaffs like the camera mount banging into pieces of the set. Basically, the original pilot was unsuitable for broadcast, which is one of the reasons they reshot it.

Dave-ros
10-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Mister_Anderson said:
One of the freakiest things I ever saw (and it still gives me a little shiver to this day) is Horus from tom Baker "Pyramids of Mars" series.

No no no, Horus was the good guy, don't diss him! You're thinking of Sutekh... and yes, he was scary http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I do recommend that story for n00bs - just for the bit where
Sarah says there's no way Sutekh can destroy the Universe because this is happening in the 1910s and she's from 1980, and so the Doctor takes her to 1980 and shows her the barren, lifeless world Earth has become because they didn't stop Sutekh...
</td></tr></table>

Also the bloke who played Mr. Bronson in Grange Hill is in it http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (He was also Admiral Ozzell in The Empire Strikes Back!)

Mister_Anderson
10-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Ahh thats right, Sutekh....

Thanks for clearing that up!

The scary one!

Joe Siegler
11-09-2005, 03:30 AM
An update..

First new "episode" with David Tennant airs on November 18, 2005 as part of the Children in Need charity stuff.

This is a 15 minute episode with Tennant / Piper. No clue what the content is, but it supposedly falls inbetween the last moment of the final episode of last season, and the Christmas Special episode which airs on Dec 25th (titled "The Christmas Invasion").

Keep your eyes open.

Dave-ros
11-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Not as cool as when "The Five Doctors" premiered during Children in Need back in 1983 (I'm showing my age here http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), but good news nonetheless. Kind of a taster of things to come... and as long as it's better than "Dimensions in Time" (the 1993 "special" featuring the cast of EastEnders http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mryuck.gif), I'm happy!

Joe Siegler
11-09-2005, 03:11 PM
The last time Doctor Who was involved in something like that was the Rowan Atkinson goof story (which was actually pretty good).

Jonathan Pryce played the Master in that, and actually showed promise if he was given the role for real.

Mountain Man
11-10-2005, 08:25 AM
It'll be interesting to see what they can do in 15 minutes. Sounds like it could be frustratingly short.

Joe Siegler
11-10-2005, 09:59 AM
The new Cybermen design was revealed this morning!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/images/cyberman2006.jpg

That's the full body picture. More info at the following links:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?id=EEFEyFVkFuMvuVXYZO&tmpl=newsrss

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2005/11/10/26933.shtml

At first I thought it reminded me of the Rocketeer look, but then I went and looked that up, and it doesn't really. It's just got that 30's/40's throwback Sci-Fi general feel to it.

It's hard to form an opinion based solely on this picture. I've known the Cybermen as long as I've known Doctor Who, so there's a lot of baggage there. I'll reserve judgement until I actually see the two episodes they'll be in.

Mountain Man
11-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Well, it looks like a Cyberman alright. The design doesn't exactly live up to the billing that this new version will be more vicious than previous incarnations, but I guess we have to wait until we actually see them in context.

On the plus side, looks like the design department didn't monkey around with the look too much. I was afraid we'd see a Borg-like Cyberman race, but I'm glad they're retaining the classic look.

Dave-ros
11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Looks good, but somehow it doesn't look bulky enough -- looks a bit like the illicit offspring of a Cyberman and a Terminator http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Remember, there's supposed to be a human inside that... or at least bits of one http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif However, it is indeed good that they don't look even remotely Borg-ish (although the original Cybermen had human hands).

I hope they're harder to kill now... a small group of enemies that each takes a huge amount of effort to kill are scarier than endless hordes of enemies that go down really easily. So they mustn't let people steal their guns all the time, and they mustn't be susceptible to radiation, emotions or (ugh) gold! And I hope they've figured out gravity http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joe Siegler
11-10-2005, 12:28 PM
It kind of reminds of the direction taken with the silver Cylons in the new Battlestar Galactica. Looks like the original, sorta, but has a sleeker look.

supermeerkat
11-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure about the new design at the moment, but at least it still has the look of a man in a suit about it.

On a connected note, I've recently watched Earthshock and Tomb of the Cybermen. Both weren't bad, but not great. I kinda expected more from the "Tomb of the Cybermen", as it had been built up into a longlast classic, but it came of rather camp and wooden, even by the standards of Doctor Who. But, Patrick Troughton was brilliant in it, next to Peter Davidson he's my favourite Doctor.

supermeerkat
11-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Made me chuckle...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/docwholigan/cybermen.jpg

Mountain Man
11-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Earthshock is one of my favorites. Matthew Waterhouse's obvious apprehension about the keyboard prop about to explode is a classic moment, too. The poor guy just couldn't act.