PDA

View Full Version : How do you prefer your game reviews?

Phait
04-22-2005, 11:57 PM
With or without fries?

What kind of game reviews do you prefer:

- one that summarizes the game, and goes through it's pros and cons
- one that gives a fair review throughout the game
- one that goes in depth, maybe adding up to 5 or more pages

I've got some reviews to write, and since I'm lazy I'm contemplating on writing them more concisely and shorter, but I don't want to leave pertinent info out either.

Gryph
04-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Well ALL reviews should be "one that gives a fair review throughout the game."

I prefer both types of reviews.

DissidentRage
04-23-2005, 12:14 AM
I prefer the reviews not made by consumerist reviewers (like the jackleg that rated Dead To Rights above Max Payne 2), and I dislike when a review compares a game to another game.

Phait
04-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Define "consumerist reviewers" -- gamers?

DissidentRage
04-23-2005, 12:22 AM
phait said:
Define "consumerist reviewers" -- gamers?

Seen my example?

Dead To Rights was a blatant Max Payne rip-off with a few, uhm... cliché and "sell-out" details added onto it. This particular magazine summarized the game as being original and Max Payne as being the cheesy rip-off between the two.

You have to have played Dead To Rights to really know. HORRIBLE game.

Imfamous
04-23-2005, 12:27 AM
If it's in a magazine, I like it about 5 pages, going into rich detail. If it's on online, I prefer a short review, pointing out the big negatives.

Yatta
04-23-2005, 02:14 AM
Depends. If it's an uninteresting game, then I'd like a review that's as short as possible so it takes up less magazine space. If it's an online review for a game I know I won't like, I won't even read it.

I'd like all future DNF and Prey reviews to be 10+ pages long, though. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve
04-23-2005, 02:15 AM
How do you prefer your game reviews?

I don't read game reviews. Rather play the game and find out for myself.

Syph
04-24-2005, 12:02 PM
I think gamespot's format is the way to go. A number and the justification behind it, pointing out anything special along the way.

Mountain Man
04-24-2005, 12:07 PM
I like reviews that detail the good and the bad points of a game. A review that is entirely critical or overflowing with enthusiastic praise is worthless.

Nacho
04-24-2005, 12:26 PM
The only reviews I really listen to if I ever do is the show, "Reviews on the Run". They do a good job listing the good and the bad. The show is also highly entertaining.

Cerberus_e
04-24-2005, 12:35 PM
they should give their honest impressions about the game without giving away spoilers, also listing the good and bad points. I think everyone agrees? http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: I like gamespot's video reviews

Dogy
04-24-2005, 08:03 PM
I rarely depend on reviews for my purchases. In fact, I do a hell of a lot of research on it. I watch In-Game videos, trailers, read previews, and if it's already released, get opinions on it.

Drazula
04-24-2005, 10:30 PM
It is not so much the style of the review, but how intimate the reviewer is with the game. 95% of all reviews, I can tell the reviewer raced through the game. What they get out of such an excercise is useless to me.

IMO, a good review has a first impression. It should then talk about what has grown on the reviewer and what irked him. Talk about what differentiated the game from other games. Finish up with why (or why not) this game is worth the gamers time and money.

Destroyer
04-24-2005, 10:55 PM
I dont pay attention to game reviews. I have to play the game myself to like it. HL got great reviews. I didnt like it.

Phait
04-24-2005, 11:07 PM
For those that don't read reviews, how could you plunk down your money on a game, only to find out it sucked, when a review could've told you prior?

theRobot
04-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Right on... I read MaximumPC, they do some game reviews. It really depends entirely upon the nature and the coolness of the game. So to them, some games require full two page review(to explain all that they liked, like Draz was saying), some only get a single page review, and most get a simple half-page, where they can describe what they thought at first, the things they thought were cool, and what they didn't like. Afterwards, they finish the whole thing off with a Pro/Con list and the price of the game/publisher/developer etc.

Destroyer
04-24-2005, 11:20 PM
phait said:
For those that don't read reviews, how could you plunk down your money on a game, only to find out it sucked, when a review could've told you prior?

well I play games at friends and stuff like that, and then theres demos.

Wamplet
04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
I can't say I normally buy a game based on a review. A lot of reviews are either done by people that are a fan of the game to begin with or someone who hates it or the related genre already.

I still read them from magazines and web sites though. I prefer reading the ones without scores/stars, because it means the person has to actually "tell" the score through his/her writing.

JackpotDen
04-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Ones with humerous opinions. Eg , in a turkish review magazine, when the guy was previewing Ut 2003, he was talking about funny stuff that happened in UT, etc.

somehting awful are like taht, but almost negative the whole time