PDA

View Full Version : What is it Duke has and not Lo Wang?

02-25-1999, 04:32 PM
It should have by now become evident to everyone that Duke is way more successful than Lo Wang. Just compare the number of messages for the Duke and Shadow Warrior boards of 3D Realms, and also the number of commercial add-ons that have appeared for the two games. And also Duke's going to have a sequel(no, sequelS), but not SW.

What I want to ask here is: WHY?? What is it that makes Duke so successful and not SW?? Both use the Build engine. Both feature lots of humor and personality. And indeed SW has many things Duke 3D doesn't have, such as driveable vehicles, turrets, etc. And some of the scenes found in SW are actually quite beautiful, too. So what makes one game so successful and the other so...well, you know. Could it be because SW came out at the wrong time -- when Quake and its progeny had already hit the shelves? Or...?

Delphi Dude
02-25-1999, 04:49 PM
It was probably released at a "bad" time. If DN3D had been released at the same time as Q2, it wouldn't have sold as many copies as it did.

RugerMK1
02-25-1999, 08:14 PM
Timing is the key! If you don't use good timing, things don't go as well!

02-27-1999, 03:35 AM
...so it's because it came out at the wrong time...sigh, if only it came out shortly after Duke 3D...

02-27-1999, 06:15 AM
No, its not the wrong timing, its the wrong technology used in the game. If Shadow Warrior would have used a real 3d engine, like Quake 2 or Unreal, it would have been a big hit. The fact it used the Build engine made if very unappealing to people looking to play one of "next generation 3d games" such as Quake2. The game itself rocks incredibly and it is one, if not my favorite game.

02-27-1999, 04:27 PM
I think it's because Duke's cool. He's got the voice and the attitude. Lo Wang's just a bit... derivitive, I guess. Of course, if he had gotten there first, I'd probably be saying the opposite.

------------------
Visit my Duke Action Figures News site at http://members.tripod.com/~CaptainWacky1/intro.html

CONAN
02-28-1999, 10:34 AM
SW isn't my favorite game, but I think that it does have some really cool moments in it. even if it had come out sooner, though, Duke still would have had greater holding becuase there already were 2 other Duke games out, both mega-hits, and people were waiting for the next release.

03-15-1999, 08:45 AM
I agree with all of you guys. The problem is, "Shadow Warrior" came out a year later after Duke did, 1997. This was when everyone was obsessed with Duke, the Quake games, and most of all, "Tomb Raider II". If "Shadow Warrior" came out before Duke, then "Shadow Warrior" would of probably been the game of the decade or something http://3drealms.3dportal.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif.

------------------
"See Windows crash. Crash Windows crash."
---Toomean2