PDA

View Full Version : Official Stalker Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

dark_angel
01-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Hmmm... now where have I heard that before? :D

I heard that too somewhere;) and I really don't agree with it.

STALKER can't innovate seeing that most of the initial goals set for the game have been dropped making it a too ambitious one.

And in the other hand, STALKER can't be crap seeing that it has a solid engine and some workable features that they have managed to squeeze it into the game.

If you have watched the videos that have been released so far, you will notice that the game has some week points that would diminish the gameplay dramatically.

Foxy
01-19-2007, 06:26 AM
I think it's rather stupid to be able to massacre anyone you want without consequence,

But it won't be without consequence. If you kill some guy, his chums will get pissed at you and shoot your ass instead of helping for example.

predefined
01-19-2007, 06:39 AM
STALKER can't innovate seeing that most of the initial goals set for the game have been dropped making it a too ambitious one.

The concept on it's own is innovative. Open ended, rpg in the mix with shooter, free roaming in very large world and constantly "living AI'.

Unseen mix, innovative fps.

jimbob
01-19-2007, 06:44 AM
The concept on it's own is innovative. Open ended, rpg in the mix with shooter, free roaming in very large world and constantly "living AI'.

Unseen mix, innovative fps.

sounds a lot like oblivion to me :p

dark_angel
01-19-2007, 06:54 AM
^^^
If you have a concept that sounds innovative and you fail to implement it in a game and make it workable it will remain a concept.

Innovation comes from the interaction of different features in the game to create a unique experience.

For example a broken AI would kill the game immediatly or a week gameplay or even an outdated engine/unrealistic physics would diminish the intended unique experience dramatically.

A FPS game to innovate, must has an innovative package that includes innovative/workable features.

predefined
01-19-2007, 07:52 AM
I dont really see whats broken about it. It sould like you had a serious hands on with the game?

Only thing i know is that they took sleeping and prevented AI from finishing the game. For the better, i suppose.

It still sounds like an innovative game to me and i hope it feels like that when i'm able to play it. Roam a free world, do bussines with some nasty underground weapon dealer, drink some wodka for wathever reason, hook up with a clan and fight together to kill them all later. Discover with kind of anomalies are hiding in the zone. Really it feels like i'll be doing something i havent done before in a shooter.

Kristian Joensen
01-19-2007, 09:48 AM

dark_angel it is a MYTH that A-Life was taken out it wasn't. So what you are saying isn't true the initial goals HAVEN'T been dropped.

dark_angel
01-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Maybe it is too extreme or a bit innacurate to say that but based on PCZONE preview they have stated the following:

When STALKER was first announced, the things that really piqued our interest were its ambitious aims, the freeform gameplay and realistic AI. But over the years, many features have been dropped, the AI's been scaled back and the levels that we played through appeared to be disappointingly scripted, although how much this applies to the whole game is still unclear. The massive selection of weaponry was also fiddly, and trying to sort out the correct ammo often proved my downfall in the midst of a firefight.

While STALKER may yet prove itself to be a unique and impressive addition to the FPS genre, the fact we still haven't got to play through any freeform content (one of the game's most touted features) is a bit worrying. Will STALKER's unique gameplay remain intact or has it now mutated beyond all recognition?

We will see...

Kristian Joensen
01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
the AI's been scaled back

This is in fact false, to the point of being a lie. Other magazines HAVE been allowed to play through that "freeform content".

It is not a "We will see" issue. It is a matter of fact. Nothing else.

Mountain Man
01-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Other magazines HAVE been allowed to play through that "freeform content".

It is not a "We will see" issue. It is a matter of fact.
Yes, because preview articles are never wrong.

(And I realize that this could equally apply to the article panning the game. So, yeah, it's pretty firmly a "We will see" issue until someone takes a seriouis critical look at the game.)

seregrail7
01-19-2007, 12:05 PM
There was a competition to get to play Stalker for a day. I know a guy on another forum that's going to be playing, so I'll see what info he gives out.

Apparently though, the preview code magazines have been getting it incredibly buggy. And the game is only 2 months away. :S

Kristian Joensen
01-19-2007, 12:05 PM
No, we know as a fact from GSC that the A-Life system is still in. Also I am not talking about preview articles merely saying that it is in. I am talking about preview articles ACTUALLY describing the system after actually having played the game.

Mountain Man
01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Until someone takes a serious critical look at the game, I could care less what the preview articles have to say. Honestly, it wouldn't be the first time a writer praised a game based more on promise than on what it actually delivered, which is why previews should always be taken with a grain of salt.

So like the man said, we will see.

Kristian Joensen
01-19-2007, 12:19 PM
DAMMIT. I am talking about ACTUAL events within the game. I am NOT talking about if the game will be good or not. That is NOT what this is about. For instance this is taken from the PCG UK preview quoted above:

At one point I was directed to a small group of stalkers who I would be able to trade with, and I only found their bodies, some bloody smears and a few stated boars, but in another player’s version of the game, they were alive and friendly..

Are you willing to call the article writer a lier ? Seriously, here have a a sequence of events. It is pretty clear in his version of these event the stalkers where dead in the other guys version that was NOT the guys, they where alife and well.

Mountain Man
01-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Not having played the game myself, I really can't say one way or another. I'm simply pointing out that it wouldn't be the first time a writer praised a game based more on promise than on what it actually delivered. For example, further play testing might reveal that the appearance of the rival stalkers in that camp is based on a simple coin toss algorithm and has nothing at all to do with any kind of advanced artificial intelligence. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but the point is, we simply don't know.

Thus I think "wait and see" is a perfectly valid stance.

FullMetalJacket
01-19-2007, 05:18 PM
new video http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/downloads/Stalkers-TrailerMidRes.rar

That looks really sweet. I'm amazed this game still looks as great as it does, considering its graphics don't seem to have changed much since it was first announced--back before the GeForce FX cards were even on the market.

lethal
01-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I have read 2 or 3 reviews very similar about ppl talking back what they said, because for the 1st time they played in a sort of saved game in some ongoing mission.

some of them are similar to PC gamer:

I've had another play of Stalker at THQ's Surrey offices. This time I was allowed to play from the start and play it the way I would, rather than picking up someone's pre-made save game, and I spent about four hours exploring. It's a lot better that way, and I can now see how the AI system and the story stuff links together. This wasn't at all clear on my first playthrough, which made it feel like a mission-based shooter. Second time around it was a lot more impressive, and although it's not as graphically impressive as it once was, it presented a game somewhere between Deus Ex and Flashpoint regarding how you'd approach obstacles: multiple entry points, you can sneak in, team up, or go in head on if you like.

I really did have fun the second time around: one of the game's PRs, Guy, sat in the room . He was supposed to leave me to it, but he became fascinated buy the way I was playing: I was partly trying to break the game and the game was having none of it. At one point he was trying to guide me to a group of Stalker who I'd be able to trade with, and in his save game they were there, but in my playthrough a bunch of irradiated boars had raided their little camp and all that was left was the bodies and a few angry pigs.

It shows you the value of a decent demonstration - in Kiev we had no chance to connect the AI to the story mission and it felt static, uninspired, so I had to let people know that was a possibility. Now I'm genuinely excited at the idea of going back to Stalker and discovering the impact the other Stalkers and the animals have on the game.

PC Gamer

its not about "we will see", i bet alot ppl that said bad things and when they get the game and if they enjoy it, they will still be talking nonsenses things just to not take back what they said, i mean its just people.

FullMetalJacket, go to OL site and see the HD version of this video, though there are better videos showing some nice in-out door graphics, but when you get to play, depending of what v-card you got, it will look much better then any video and it will look as it should current DX9 gen.

Damien_Azreal
01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
From the sounds of it the great thing about STALKER is that we will all experience the game completely different.
While it will be the same basic game, story and everything... the way it plays out for each of us will be different.

I love that.

Hudson
01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Collector's tin. Looks freaking sick! :)

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/3893/stalkertinboxbw3fv2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Stuff in the box:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4904/montagewg0zb5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It's coming!

http://www.man-made-hell.com/

Now this is a "collectors edition" done right. I think I will be getting this.

Any idea on the price?

FrozeN91
01-20-2007, 04:49 AM
From the sounds of it the great thing about STALKER is that we will all experience the game completely different.
While it will be the same basic game, story and everything... the way it plays out for each of us will be different.

I love that.

Yeah it sounds like every playthrough will be different.. and with 7 endings, i'm thinking LOTS of replayability :)

Foxy
01-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Man, I had a dream about Stalker last night. It was tres weird.

I had this image of the Stalker guy silouhetted, and there were a few repetitions of weird stuff happening to him, like him kind of bulging and exploding into this weird alien mutant thing. And one wher tentacles started coming out of him. There were more, but they're too hazy to put to words. Also I remember some shit about 'Finding DNA over the internet' being said, like he was being DNA mutated. Fsking weird. Then there was this alien with massive sunglasses-type eyes doing something, or being spotted. I got the feeling it was part of some alien 'old boys club' thing. Erk.

dark_angel
01-20-2007, 08:36 AM
And I thought DNF was the only game to dream about.:p

Foxy
01-20-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm slightly concerned that my subconcious has spoiled the game's plot. ><

Mountain Man
01-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Hmmm... now this is suspicious. From the preview that Kristian Joensen referenced:

At one point I was directed to a small group of stalkers who I would be able to trade with, and I only found their bodies, some bloody smears and a few stated boars, but in another player’s version of the game, they were alive and friendly.

And now the PC Gamer preview that lethal cited:

At one point he was trying to guide me to a group of Stalker who I'd be able to trade with, and in his save game they were there, but in my playthrough a bunch of irradiated boars had raided their little camp and all that was left was the bodies and a few angry pigs.
So here we have two apparently independent play throughs that both encountered the exact same scenario.

Sounds to me like the vaunted A-Life system is probably a mixture of canned scripts and artificial intelligence.

We will see. :)

Nihilanth
01-20-2007, 10:59 AM
(...) So here we have two apparently independent play throughs that both encountered the exact same scenario. (...)

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: Read again from where the hell those quotes come from.

Mountain Man
01-20-2007, 11:03 AM
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: Read again from where the hell those quotes come from.
One is apparently PC Gamer UK and the other is apparently PC Gamer. Despite having very similar names, those are, in fact, two different publications.

Nihilanth
01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
here is the last preview from PC Gamer UK magazine:
For instance this is taken from the PCG UK preview quoted above:

Both come from PC Gamer UK.

Mountain Man
01-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Hmmm... that fact appears to have escaped my attention since lethal's most recent post (http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php?p=475850&postcount=517) attributed the quotes to PC Gamer (no "UK").

lethal
01-20-2007, 02:48 PM
new screenshots:

http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/120/237354_full.jpg
http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/120/237352_full.jpg
http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/120/237353_full.jpg
http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/120/237351_full.jpg
http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/120/237350_full.jpg

more here: http://www.gamershell.com/pc/stalker/screenshots.html
and here: http://stalker.entermatrix.net/index.php?guide=ss

FullMetalJacket
01-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Gorgeous. That looks just as good as anything I've seen in the R6: Vegas screens.

hanged_man
01-21-2007, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=lethal;476189]new screenshots:
http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/120/237353_full.jpg
QUOTE]

Holy shit ...look at the dead guy's feet !!! god they're huge and look real stupid

predefined
01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
No not really anything worth critisizing. I see combats and those shoes are just huge like that...

Nothing really out of proportion there..

Nihilanth
01-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Do I really have to say anything? Check out (http://blogs.nofrag.com/G.UNIT/) a LOT of new shots (over 50) as well as four 1-minute gameplay scenes (http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiches/J000014268_video.html). To be exact, vids are all in DX9, most shots are in DX9 too, but others are in DX8 (you'll know them when you'll see them). Enjoy.

predefined
01-26-2007, 05:44 AM
holy shit! The gameplay movies are awesome!!!!! what atmosphere wow!

FrozeN91
01-26-2007, 06:09 AM
I like the fourth video. Playing that will be creepy.

Lethe
01-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Do you people experience extreme stuttering in the videos? Is that problem on my end or it is just badly recorded video?

predefined
01-26-2007, 07:24 AM
no loads really quick and runs smooth here. Just at the end i have one stutter everytime..

FrozeN91
01-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Do you people experience extreme stuttering in the videos? Is that problem on my end or it is just badly recorded video?

I think it's the videos.. Because I get it too.

predefined
01-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Its streaming so it's linked to the connection you have with the site not the accual videos. :)

Lethe
01-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Its streaming so it's linked to the connection you have with the site not the accual videos. :)

It stutter even when its downloaded.

Nihilanth
01-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Here's a more complete list of new shots. (http://www.gamekult.com/images/J000014268/p1/) A total of 105 new shots. In one day. Cool. :)

predefined
01-26-2007, 08:59 AM
It stutter even when its downloaded.

Strange, then you have a codec problem or something.

Great shots btw, thanks!

Mountain Man
01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Nice screenies. It would be great if this game actually turned out to be good.

Nihilanth
01-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Brand new Q&A

"www.canardplus.com is the eletronic extension of a famous french newspaper, "Le Canard Enchaîné", well known for having revealed many political scandals and considered as the best by everyone.
Anyway the canardplus.com staff has been playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. beta, and we were able to ask any question about it in the forum. On January the 26th, they had the right to give us the answer(I posted modding questions, but they didn't get an aswer). Will try to translate.

* Q: Is the non loading system totally integrated?
A: No, there are loadings between different zones, ie between the tutorial(several km² thing with bus storehouse, a farm, the Trader's basement, a military camp, a checkpoint, some ruins...) and the next zone, way bigger, with a superb dump of military equipment and a beautiful destryed factory by a radioactive junkyard.

* Q: Are the conditions of live (rest, food) managed?
A: Yes, for food, no for rest. I didn't tried starving but after 6/8 hours ingame playing, an icon appears and you have to eat something. Sausages, energetic bars can be found.

* Q: Give us a sharp idea of the minimal rig!
A: runs very on Gringo's machine: P4 3.4 + 6800 + 1GB ram. No problem, it won't be Oblivion. Only the game loading time is a bit long.

* Q: Is it possible to select DX running mode?
A: No, it seems to be DX9.

* Q: How is inventory managed? Weight? Space? Pause the game?
A: Inventory doesn't pause the game. Weight is managed as follows: you have a maximal charge (40kg at start, I believe) that you can go past a bit (45 but not 55) paying the price of a big overtiredness when you run. That is, with a light bag, you can sprint several kilometers, but with a heavy bag, you'll be breathless in 20 meters. About space, it's a box system and I never missed any space.

* Q: Has AI been improved?
A: Hmmm, I'd say yes, AI is consistent, even if sometimes, it could hear me from far. Note this problem: the autosaves seem to be randomized. If you save when at 20 meters from calm guys, you may found them back in state of alert when reloading. But maybe it's just a beta bug. Apart from that, I saw an AI running against a wall without stopping.

* Q: Is the AI life system realistic?
A: You can see some stalkers chasing mutant dogs, eating, killing bandits, sleeping at night (they snore in abandonned riuins). Some important NPC (?) have no live. They stand 24/24 w/o moving but other stalkers give the impress they don't just wait to meet you.

* Q: Are they difficulty levels and is the game tough?
A: 4 difficulty levels and yes the game is tough (mainly at start with the little rotten guns).

* Q: Is there any other mean of transportation than walking? Teleportation?
A: Hmm I didn't see any. I had asked to developers and they told me "no". I'm afraid of that, because the distances to cross may be enormous.

* Q: Can we play stealthy mode, kill enemies with knife or silenced gun, w/o being heard in a 300 meter radius. Is there a jaug like in Dark Project?
A: Yes you can be stealth and rip enemies in the back. But walking in a bush on a dry leaf is enough to get spotted. Carefully walking on the grass keeps possible with some practicing. There is a jaug that indicates how intensively the nearest enemy knows your position.

* Q: Do we have to wear beggars' clothes to be a stalker or can we wear the scientist's jumpsuit, dresses maybe?
A: For now, I only saw the basic clothes (jacket, sweater, trousers) and the stalkers's suit which you get when entering the second zone, but considering how the clothing is managed (like in Oblivion, you can take them off, put them back), there should be a lot of enabled suits.

* Q: How do we get informed about our progress in the game (percentages, ended levels)?
A: There is a PDA used as a quest log. For the main quest, no percentages or levels.

* Q: Is the rare objects seeking still integrated to gameplay?
A: Artifacts are still integrated, you may sell them, some can give you bonus,...

* Q: Are they various enemies?
A: It's OK, different human types (stalkers, bandits, agressives...) and a ton of mutant beasts of different size.

* Q: The powers system related to artifacts, how does it work?
A: I guess you talk about the little rocks that can be found near the "anomaly" zones. You just have to pick them up and stick them up to your belt via inventory. Each anomaly type produces little rocks that give bonus/malus, ie +10 maintaining power against fire but -20% against shocks.

* Q: Is it frightening?
A:hmmm yes, ruins exploring can be freaking out, but particularly the sound ambience is really well done.

* Q: Is ballistic allright?
A: This is not FlashPoint. You must fight with arms as Kalachnikov at a 50-70 meters max distance. Beyond that distance, bullets become imprecise, even in ironsight view. So don't expect a strong realism...

* Q: Are immersion and freedom feeling beyond average?
A: Yes.

* Q: Is the global design OK?
A: Yes, there is a real aim at ambience and originality. But you have to like greyness and brown colors.

* Q: What about commands reactivity and game speed?
A: Controls feeling is faultless (much inertness though, a little bit embarrassing during fights). About speed, it is "avarage", slower than CS.

* Q: What are the "anomalies" effects?
A: They are graphic deformations that apper and move in the scenery. When you get near them, you can hear the Geiger clicks, if you get too near, you die.

* Q: Do the weapons give a good feeling?
A: Awefull for the first gun, but it gets better and better with the other weapons, more powerfull and precise.

* Q: As there are campfire, can we eat things like tin cans, herbal rabbits, chamallow or Siberian bear BBQ?
A: Fires are unusable, but you can eat sausages, various meat, vodka, to wrestle with radiations.

* Q: Can we take drugs or alcohol?
A: Alcohol: yes, and you can get anti-radiation shoots.

* Q: Is there any sun or always bad weather?
A: Everyting goes, from shiny sun to rain storms.

* Q: Can we smoke?
A: Don't think so.

* Q: Is there an option to spend time sleeping, like in other RPGs?
A: Didn't see that.

* Q: Do we have to find a shelter to sleep at night?
A:You're not forced to.

* Q Are the weapons twickable?
A: You can choose the fire mode, and some weapons can accept different ammos.

* Q: Having liked Boiling Point, is the game bugged?
A: This beta is 100 times better than retail Boiling Point.

* Q: Will there be player customization possibilities (weapons armors, clothes)?
A: For now, I've only see customization via the little rocks (see above).

* Q: Can we play a female character?
A: No.

* Q: What is the "re-playablility" level of the game: will re-playing the game with a character with differents properties make a difference, and are the environments opened enough not to feel doing the same things again?
A: Hard to say, though there are different factions, the character has no strong specializations, so maybe 1 time is enough.

* Q: Any books in the game?
A: Didn't see any.

* Q: What is the view distance?
A: less impressive than Oblivion, but sufficient.

* Q: Can we play with all graphic options at max with a C2D6700+7900gtx
A: "Oh oui!"

* Q: I want details about ambience, is it FallOut like, BoilingPoint like? Tchernobyl like?
A: the feeling is really post-apocaliptical, so I would say like FallOut, even if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. seems darker and more "survival horror" than FallOut which was funny at second degree, what S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is not at all.

* Q: Must we expect something like Deus EX or like CS?
A: If Deus EX were at 0 and CS were at 1, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would be at 0.3.

* Q: Is there a character creation phase? How is the leveling working?
A: No creation phase, no levelling. You improve your power with equipment, not with skills.

* Q: Is there really no more drivable vehicle left?
A: No more drivable vehicles. You have only tons and tons of trucks, cars and helis carcasses.

Nothing about multi and modding, sorry."

01-28-2007, 02:53 PM
* Q: Is there a character creation phase? How is the leveling working?
A: No creation phase, no levelling. You improve your power with equipment, not with skills.

:( I was kind of hoping for a system similar to Deus Ex or System Shock. Without it that the sense of customization and choice is rather limited. More like a standard FPS I guess.

Nihilanth
01-28-2007, 03:09 PM
:( I was kind of hoping for a system similar to Deus Ex or System Shock. Without it that the sense of customization and choice is rather limited. More like a standard FPS I guess.

It was never meant to be in stalker anyway. And, you will have enough choices to make, don't worry about that.

Zztx
01-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I just wanted to say that every time I read "Stalker at E3?", my first thought is that some creepy bastard is stalking the booth babes.
My second thought is "...oh."

Nihilanth
01-29-2007, 01:07 PM
>>Official stalker site relaunched.<< (http://www.stalker-game.com/)

It's no super heavy flash-packed BioShock site, but it's good to see it's back in action. :)

superevilcube
01-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Here's (http://pc.ign.com/articles/759/759444p1.html) an IGN preview of it.

MAT
01-30-2007, 07:24 AM
And it seems like the IGN staff really liked Stalker so far.

I'm getting more and more confident in this game.

Foxy
01-30-2007, 07:27 AM
*hopes for beta key*

lethal
01-30-2007, 08:41 AM
more 2 previews

IGN preview is very detailed and very good: http://pc.ign.com/articles/759/759444p1.html

GameSpot preview is more small but very good too: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/news.html?sid=6164919&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot

Mountain Man
01-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Sounds promising so far. It'll be curious to see what the reviews say.

Hudson
01-30-2007, 11:37 AM
* Q: Having liked Boiling Point, is the game bugged?
A: This beta is 100 times better than retail Boiling Point.

Well, that's a relief.

Malgon
01-31-2007, 06:24 AM
So there's no stats, just an inventory system, correct?

Edit: I like the idea of carrying certain artifacts to change your resistance levels, since they have been affected by such anomalies. Fits in nicely with the game law imo. :)
The only thing that worries me is that the weight restriction could seriously hamper your play style early on in the game. I like picking everything up for some coin in rpg's, and I only want it to be fair and balanced. I do understand that you have to feel a little helpless throughout, with the whole 2 weapon limit and such. This game holds some promise for an FPS. :)

Nihilanth
01-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Malgon
Yes, that's right. The only stats you have include resistance chart, irradiation and hunger. I practiculary like the fact that artifacts have both positive and negative effects, should make it interesting (you can check some artifacts on our new main site (http://www.stalker-game.com/en/?page=artifacts)).

In addition to yet another hands-on preview (http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200701/N07.0129.1659.23101.htm) you've got 4 new vids in media section. It's nothing cool though, extremly low-res + sound recording problems.

Also there are some new shots, again. Those better include:
http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/300107/39111_stalkershadowof.jpg
http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/300107/39112_stalkershadowof.jpg
http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/300107/39115_stalkershadowof.jpg

German magazine Gamestar got a preview for stalker. Here are some facts (copied from another forum):

- 'Marked One' a stalker is called
- for on their arm they have a 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' tatoo
- at the start you have amnesia and are equipded with a pda containing a mission to kill someone
- your aim of course is to regain your memory and why to kill this unknown person
- the guy you seek is near the reactor so you need a special (I mean expencive) suite
- first possible mission is given by a dealer - to rescue some guy from bandits
- ammo is rare
- weapons often break or jam
- this is not quake, you die fast if you're not cautious
- enemies are not dumb, they won't storm you, you will have to come for them, they take cover, they run away when you get to dangerous
- there really IS vodka!
- it seems the stalker-stalker relationship is much friendlier than the faq on the stalker page made me think.. do you know gothic one? It reminds of that game
- rats, zombies, a 'psy-machine', rats, rats...
- there is a arena, you fight for cash. against stalkers (how lame)
- bugs bugs bugs - computer bugs.
- main problem: crashes because of memory leaks
- not balanced enough yet, too few ammo
- THQ and GSC promised for the bugs to be smashed
- impression: positive, best feeling ever
- your PDA is an diary for the monsters: meet one and the data is saved
- you can't do all things from the beginning, first you need a protection suit

There are also 4 videos, we can only hope that they'll leak. :censored: A guy who saw them said:
"First i have to say the vid´s are really great and confirmed what i always thought and hoped .. STALKER will be the game i was looking for the last 5 years The videos feature the following topics : Quests / The Stalker Village (including the famous STALKER Bar and the Arena / PDA / Anomaly"

hiob
01-31-2007, 08:10 AM
I got the Gamestar-DVD here, videos are awesome, oh and you are the only one that has the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. tattoo.

Foxy
01-31-2007, 08:10 AM
- your aim of course is to regain your memory and why to kill this unknown person

Bet he'll be hard to find! /cheapshot

Betelgeuse
01-31-2007, 08:30 AM
i have been studying all the (fairly recent) video's and reviews for this game (and the official site), and it all just seems so mouth watering! I think the release of this game will keep me satisfied until DNF's arrival, this, and BioShock.

Mountain Man
01-31-2007, 08:38 AM
>>Official stalker site relaunched.<< (http://www.stalker-game.com/)

It's no super heavy flash-packed BioShock site, but it's good to see it's back in action. :)
I like it. I often find super heavy flash-packed sites to be too slow and cumbersome to navigate.

Hudson
01-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah, flash sites usually piss me off to the point of forgetting about the website.

hiob
01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Has anyone of you seen the Stalker (http://addpro.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/) movie, if so is it good?

Betelgeuse
01-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Has anyone of you seen the Stalker (http://addpro.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/) movie, if so is it good?

lol, that's awesome, i might try and track it down, it sounds cool.

the makers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R would have to know about this movie. possibly part of their inspiration maybe??? poss-ib-lye

Nihilanth
01-31-2007, 11:02 AM
It's definetly different from Hollywood movies. Strange thing, but I like it. And yes, both Roadside Picnic (book) and Stalker (movie based on this book) were inspiration for the game.

01-31-2007, 11:06 AM
I watched a few videos but they failed to impress me. Enemies react strangely, almost like they haven't a clue what they should be doing. Gun sounds are weak (but I won't fault Stalker, every FPS has this issue these days).

I like the look of the inventory, not over simplified. :) I also saw him picking up a mission during a conversation.

The interesting thing though is that before I saw him enter a base with friendly NPCs and people he could talk to, I thought it was a regular run of the mill FPS. That means that the combat may be a little bit more hectic than you'd normally see in a System Shock or Deus Ex type. It's still hard to tell as I didn't see much.

I'm up in the air about this game now.....not sure if I want it or not. I'd like a decent length demo to see for myself.

Lethe
01-31-2007, 11:15 AM
This post sums up my feelings about the game ^^

01-31-2007, 11:16 AM
This post sums up my feelings about the game ^^

Heh, did the planets align? Usually we don't agree. :D

Lethe
01-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Heh, did the planets align? Usually we don't agree. :D

Yeah, something is terribly wrong here :o

Mountain Man
01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
The interesting thing though is that before I saw him enter a base with friendly NPCs and people he could talk to, I thought it was a regular run of the mill FPS. That means that the combat may be a little bit more hectic than you'd normally see in a System Shock or Deus Ex type. It's still hard to tell as I didn't see much.
Honestly, the combat is largely a secondary concern for me. As long as it's reasonably balanced and entertaining, I'll be fine with it. The primary draw for me has always been the prospect of exploring The Zone. Similar to Oblivion, I see the existence of combat as simply there to give you something to do between all the exploring. Alternatively, if the combat is too frequent or overly difficult, it could really bog things down and make the game a chore to play.

lethal
02-01-2007, 03:41 AM
So there's no stats, just an inventory system, correct?

Edit: I like the idea of carrying certain artifacts to change your resistance levels, since they have been affected by such anomalies. Fits in nicely with the game law imo. :)
The only thing that worries me is that the weight restriction could seriously hamper your play style early on in the game. I like picking everything up for some coin in rpg's, and I only want it to be fair and balanced. I do understand that you have to feel a little helpless throughout, with the whole 2 weapon limit and such. This game holds some promise for an FPS. :)

40kg, so i read you can stock some items in some places.

about stats, yes there is stats, of your missions and stalkers you killed, etc...

about AI, there a different levels of AI, not all stalkers are expert, they need to gain experience to have a better AI, there are ranks, when more high the rank more deadly they will be.

which faction will probably have a different levels of AI, so dont assume wrong stuffs about the AI.

Bobby B
02-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Really, looking forward to this, just been looking at the latest screenshots though, is it me or does the bumpmapping look quite bad in places? It's almost like everything is made out of lumpy porridge...

http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/300107/39114_stalkershadowof.jpg

Malgon
02-01-2007, 05:44 AM
@Nihilanth - Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to have a look at the revamped site, and see what else I can find out about the game. It sounds like there are still a few serious bugs to squash, but I'm guessing the game won't run on my system anyway, which will give GSC time to patch any issues, before I get around to it.

That first shot looks awesome, and the third ones enemy looks as creepy as ever. :cool:

Edit: Thanks lethal, I posted this before I finished reading the thread and missed your post. I'm curious about how much of a challenge the enemy stalkers A.I. will be. I'll definitely check out the videos and see how much it has changed since the old 2004 videos.

Edit 2: Honestly, the combat is largely a secondary concern for me. As long as it's reasonably balanced and entertaining, I'll be fine with it. The primary draw for me has always been the prospect of exploring The Zone. Similar to Oblivion, I see the existence of combat as simply there to give you something to do between all the exploring. Alternatively, if the combat is too frequent or overly difficult, it could really bog things down and make the game a chore to play.

[Bold section mine] I totally agree on that point. I'm sure I've even mentioned it ages ago that this was probably the thing I wanted to do the most when I played Stalker. It was the atmosphere that drew me into it, and obviously exploring it would be the icing on the cake. :)

Nihilanth
02-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Malgon
What are your system specs? Thanks to dx8 render stalker should run on pretty weak machines.

Malgon
02-01-2007, 07:36 AM
P4 2Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 128Mb 6600GT. Pretty lame by todays standards, though it surprises me sometimes with what it can run.

Jokke_r
02-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Really, looking forward to this, just been looking at the latest screenshots though, is it me or does the bumpmapping look quite bad in places? It's almost like everything is made out of lumpy porridge...

http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/300107/39114_stalkershadowof.jpg

i believe thats parallax mapping, same what was used for bulletholes in FEAR

Nihilanth
02-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Malgon
Don't worry about running stalker. :) I would not go for dx9 (will work but I have no idea how good), but in dx8 I'm sure it'll run more than fine.

Jokke_r
Yep, that's Parallax Mapping. And it's a lot better than this used in fear. Actually PM in stalker is really heavily upgraded and in terms of quality it's something between normal PM and Virtual Displacement Mapping. And looks great imo. :)

Kristian Joensen
02-01-2007, 10:57 AM
What technique are you referring to when you mention Virtual Displacement Mapping. The way I have heard that word used it refers to ANY technique that emulates Displacement Mapping including Parallax Mapping it self. So that would include a diverse set of techniques like Per-pixel displacement mapping with distance functions, Parallax mapping with offset limiting, Relief mapping, Steep Parallax Mapping, Parallax Occlusion Mapping, etc

So it is a bit confusing to use that terminology. Since BOTH their enhanced Parallax Mapping method AND what they(or it is you ?) refer to as Virtual Displacement Mapping may be included in that list. So which ones to they refer to ?

Consistent naming is pretty important when it comes to stuff like that.

Bobby B
02-01-2007, 12:00 PM
i believe thats parallax mapping, same what was used for bulletholes in FEAR

Whatever it is it looks overused and not very realistic.

Nihilanth
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Kristian Joensen
Sorry, I'm not that high-level so I might have used the term wrong.

So, usually when I hear VDM it comes down to displacement technique that affects silhouette of the object like geometry displacement mapping (http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6763/metrotech7nm3.jpg). Another example is UE3 video presentation where narrator refers to such a technique simply as Virtual Displacement Mapping. So I assumed that you can call this VDM, if that's wrong, well, I'm no expert here (also giving me a mile-long list of types of VDMs is not really helping).

GSC refers to this as Parallax Mapping, nothing more. I simply found out while doing some research that it's upgraded PM that is better than normal PM but still does not affect silhouette.

Kristian Joensen
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I am not really all that high level myself at all. Mostly just a technically interested gamer that happens to a a graphics whore that has read some technical papers mostly for their screenshots, the effect they provide and the conclusion. Anyway here (http://www.brunoevangelista.com/presentations/cggt2006/detailed_surfaces.pdf) is a paper with a comparison of various of those techniques. I found it in this (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=433126) gamedev.net article that one of its authors created. That paper contains screenshot which is something non-technical people like you and me can understand.

That list of techniques was just to demonstrate the fluidity of the term "virtual displacement mapping I got all the mentioned techniques from here (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki?action=browse&id=Unreal_Engine_Versions/3&oldid=Unreal_Engine_3.0).

Nihilanth
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks, I've actually been looking for something like this. Also, yeah, I think I can call myself technically interested gamer, too. I just like to know what creates image I'm looking at, but there's still a lot for me to learn. :)

By the way, not to miss anything, Parallax Mapping in X-Ray engine uses what GSC calls Virtual Position Trick (http://stalker.funday.pl/fusion_images/photoalbum/290.jpg), a technique that allows dynamic shadows casted upon parallaxed surface to look properly. I heard that self-shadowing is possible, however I'm not 100% sure about it.

Hudson
02-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Hey man, if they can use tricks to make this look awesome while not choking my 6800u to death, more power to them.

Nihilanth
02-03-2007, 06:00 AM
New gameplay footage (http://www.stalker-world.com.ua/eng/)

Duration: 6:21
Resolution: 1024x768
Size: 186mb

Let me make this clear. Seeing how this comes from "german game magazine" it's probably copyrighted. But while sadly people never give a damn about it, here it is, besides someone would post it anyway.

Video is nice, you can see some conversations along with quest-aquiring, small portions of PDA, some action. One thing that's strange is render. Ask me, it's dx8; no dynamic shadows, for instance, no lighting effects. Previous gameplay footage (also with german commentary) shown some amazing-looking dynamic shadows and lighting. After comparing these two videos it's clear this one is in dx8.

FrozeN91
02-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Why would they play the game in dx8?

Nihilanth
02-03-2007, 07:28 AM
I have no idea, that's why I got confused. I was convinced they'd use dx9 by now.

Here you have a shot from the previous video:
http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/3245/abcxd6.png

You can compare it to the new video when player attempts to search dead bodies. No shadows in the new vid.

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/61/111zo4.png

Now here you can see dynamic soft-shadows (looks better in motion) and they're beautiful (artifacts are due to player's movement). On the other hand shadow of Nimble in the new video is awful.

Not to mention there's no lighting while characters fire their guns, no shadows from most objects.

There are two scenes that MAY be in dx9 at 3:37 (there are barely visible shadows from trees [and clouds?]), the next one with electric anomaly and POSSIBLY the last. The rest is in dx8 for sure.

Lethe
02-03-2007, 07:47 AM
These developers are always complicating things. Why they didn't just uploaded the parts of the video to some more appropriate service then rapidshare or just uploaded the whole freaking video? This way I have to wait 1 hour between each part. What a stupid decision. :doh:

MAT
02-03-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm better off this way; I don't want to spoil myself with more videos. I got enough information about Stalker, I know what I need to know and now it's time to await the release and then read some reviews and maybe play the demo if available.

SyntaxN
02-03-2007, 08:29 AM
The magazin that released the video is bull****, they had a build were they can switch dynamic lightning and features like that on and off. Don´t ask why they deactivated some advanced features for the video... :rolleyes:

Nihilanth
02-03-2007, 10:40 AM
For everyone interested, here are official details on X-Ray Engine (render).

• DX9 render with one of the best-in-class implementations of Deferred Shading, allowing to draw a vast amount of dynamic light sources with the correct material and light ‘feedback’
• Graphics with desalination of up to 1,000,000 polygons on screen
• Open space territories up to 4 square kilometers and detailed indoor environments
• Dynamic lighting and soft shadows; destructible light sources
• Parallax/normal mapping
• True per-pixel dynamic lighting
• Floating point HDR, Shader Model 3.0
• Real-time dynamic day-night cycle
• Dynamic outdoor lighting: ambient occlusion, Image Based Lighting, dynamic Sun and Sun-shadows
• Dynamic weather effects, such as rain, wind, fog, etc
• A plethora of post-process and post render effects

dark_angel
02-03-2007, 10:55 AM
what does the last feature stands for?

Nihilanth
02-03-2007, 11:10 AM
what does the last feature stands for?

Not specified. Uhm, I probably shouldn't have retyped it from the official site.

deton8
02-03-2007, 12:20 PM
If I remember right, the post-process/post-render effects are, say, the grainy oversaturated look, blurry or "double-vision", which alters the player's perspective when being affected by an anomaly, radiation, blowout, etc.

If you want an in-depth technical explanation, Nihilanth is probably your guy :D

Kristian Joensen
02-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Yep deton8 you are correct post processing effects simply are little visual effects like motion blur, depth of field, etc.

Hudson
02-03-2007, 09:47 PM
New gameplay footage (http://www.stalker-world.com.ua/eng/)

Ugh, is there a full mirror to this anywhere? Like, maybe the entire thing in one package?

Rapidshare sucks.

Also, I wouldn't freak out over DX8/9 with these videos as they didn't come from GSC.. Hell, for all we know they could be old beta videos.

Damien_Azreal
02-03-2007, 11:06 PM
http://files.filefront.com/6674166

Filefront Hud... so many great things to be found there. ;)

FrozeN91
02-04-2007, 07:50 AM
http://files.filefront.com/6674166

Filefront Hud... so many great things to be found there. ;)

Thanks.

[edit]: Wow, the graphics look really crappy in that video.. Runs really choppy too :insomnia: I'm not impressed.

I like the hud and inventory-screen though. And the quests seemed pretty fun.

lethal
02-06-2007, 06:16 AM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is truly a genre-redefining game. We're reminded most of Oblivion when playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R., an astonishing feat considering that at its core this is still a first person shooter. The vast open world is populated by its own living, breathing food chain, and is happy to do its own thing even if you just sit back and watch life go by.

IGN preview: http://pc.ign.com/articles/761/761625p1.html

Nihilanth
02-06-2007, 08:52 AM
(...) If you want an in-depth technical explanation, Nihilanth is probably your guy :D
Like what?

(...) [edit]: Wow, the graphics look really crappy in that video.. Runs really choppy too (...)
Don't sweat it. It's dx8, and I think that it runs choppy because of bad recording.

lethal
Aside from suprisingly positive tone, it's also important to note amazing screenshots that came with that article. One of the best when it comes to quality. You can also see that guy from the latest video, note that his shadow is accurate, unlike in vid.

02 (http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/761/761625/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20070205044930114.jpg)
03 (http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/761/761625/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20070205044934692.jpg)
05 (http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/761/761625/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20070205044937880.jpg)
06 (http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/761/761625/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20070205044928911.jpg)
07 (http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/761/761625/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20070205044936880.jpg)
08 (http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/761/761625/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20070205044935880.jpg)

KaiserSoze
02-06-2007, 08:54 AM
So anyone have extra beta keys they're not using and would like to give up?

Foxy
02-06-2007, 09:04 AM
So anyone have extra beta keys they're not using and would like to give up?

Someone here is in beta?

I haven't won apparently... >>

dark_angel
02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Can S.T.A.L.K.E.R redefine the FPS genre?

Nihilanth
02-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Who cares as long as it stands out of the crowd and is fun to play?

FrozeN91
02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
IGN preview: http://pc.ign.com/articles/761/761625p1.html

Interesting read. Thanks.

02-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Can S.T.A.L.K.E.R redefine the FPS genre?

Why, did Deus Ex and System Shock? I expect Stalker will go underappreciated just like they did. The mainstream unfortunately doesn't want hybrids or in depth exploration type shooters. They just want to kill shit.

Bioshock, being on consoles+pc, stands a chance to change that. However Stalker is PC only so don't expect the mainstream to take notice.

Mountain Man
02-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Don't know if anybody has mentioned this yet, but my friend at my local EB says that STALKER will retail for $40.

Acid
02-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Forget Fallout 3, this game is looking real good!.

Mountain Man
02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Looking at some of those videos, the gameplay looks a bit sluggish.

Anyway, here's a GameSpy preview:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl/761189p1.html
Pros: With a world to explore, NPCs handing out quests, and proper inventory and faction systems, it's hard to believe this is an FPS.

Cons: The narrative in this build felt a little disjointed; lots of crashes and performance issues to be improved.
Many previews seem to be reporting performance problems, which isn't a good sign with the game just a month away.

GameSpy's take:

There's also the question of how the game will perform on a technical level. We tried running our preview build on high-end machine with a dual-core CPU and GeForce 8800, and would routinely take 5 minutes to load a level before unceremoniously crashing. We eventually ended up running the game at a low-res 800x600 setting on a older XPS Dell 500, getting maybe 20 frames a second and crashing every 15 minutes or so (which kept us from progressing too far into the game).

Of course, this build of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was far from final, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that these snags will be but a distant memory should it see a March release.
Not sure what to make of this...

Kristian Joensen
02-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I noticed this bit:

Of course, this build of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was far from final, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that these snags will be but a distant memory should it see a March release..

They themselves say it is far from final. So it seems likely that thye haven' got the latest build but an older build that is used for these preview purposes.

Otherwiseit quite obviously couldn't have been a "far from final build" if the game is to be releaed in March.

Echo Black
02-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Isn't the game supposed to be light? :confused: That 8800/Dual core crash comment worries me, 'cause that's exactly what I'll (attempt to) play it on. (C2D E6600/8800GTX).

Nihilanth
02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Isn't the game supposed to be light? :confused: That 8800/Dual core crash comment worries me, 'cause that's exactly what I'll (attempt to) play it on. (C2D E6600/8800GTX).

You're free to speculate about it. Take into account that other sites that tested preview beta version did not report such a problems. It's all optimisation and considering that that's all that's left for them to do I would not worry too much (fyi, I've got similiar rig so that refers to me as well). The game IS light on dx8 render.

Krust
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
The latest copy of the belgian magazine PCGameplay already has a review of the game (they received the reviewcode of the game).
It received 83%. Here are some points they made:

- It took them about 20 hours to finish
- It takes about one minute to traverse one map (that's probably why vehicles were removed)
- It has sub/main quests. The main quest tells the (pretty good) story and has some scripted events, subquests are more of the "kill this, find that" type
- There were some bugs, for example a bugged subquest, some clipping problems, even a CTD. But bugs were rare.
- The atmosphere created in the zone is superb. It really is a desolate, grim place.
- They had some performance issues on a P4 3.2Ghz, 7800GT, 1GB Ram on medium settings.

Echo Black
02-06-2007, 04:18 PM
- They had some performance issues on a P4 3.2Ghz, 7800GT, 1GB Ram on medium settings.

Well, that's not exactly all that light. Pretty standard test system, and that GPU is pretty good, even after the release of the 8 series. Not sure about the processor, though.

And Medium? I could understand hiccups on the highest settings, but that's annoying. :( I imagine they got a final or near-final copy of Stalker, I mean, why would you send a buggy, unfinished copy of your game to one of the first magazines to review it? All in all, 83% sounds like a good score, I'm just irked by these performance comments as of late.

hiob
02-06-2007, 04:21 PM
It'll probably need 2gigs of Ram to run smooth, like Oblivion did.

deton8
02-06-2007, 04:36 PM
It'll probably need 2gigs of Ram to run smooth, like Oblivion did.

One of the recent previews (can't remember which, Eurogamers maybe) mentioned they were told exactly this.

On another note, if there were zero bugs in the preview code, wouldn't the game be released already? ;)

SyntaxN
02-06-2007, 04:43 PM
The latest copy of the belgian magazine PCGameplay already has a review of the game (they received the reviewcode of the game).
It received 83%. Here are some points they made:

- It took them about 20 hours to finish
- It takes about one minute to traverse one map (that's probably why vehicles were removed)
- It has sub/main quests. The main quest tells the (pretty good) story and has some scripted events, subquests are more of the "kill this, find that" type
- There were some bugs, for example a bugged subquest, some clipping problems, even a CTD. But bugs were rare.
- The atmosphere created in the zone is superb. It really is a desolate, grim place.
Reviews based on beta versions...yes whatever :dopefish:

Lethe
02-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I hope that performance issues will be fixed in final version. Stalker looks like shit considering how much it demand (at least that version of the game). They were developing it for too much time to have an excuse for bad performance and large amount of bugs.

Mountain Man
02-06-2007, 06:54 PM
I noticed this bit...
Um, yeah, I quoted that.

Otherwise it quite obviously couldn't have been a "far from final build" if the game is to be released in March.
The phrasing was a little ambiguous, which is why I said I wasn't sure what to make of it.

They were developing it for too much time to have an excuse for bad performance and large amount of bugs.
Agreed.

Echo Black
02-06-2007, 07:46 PM
They were developing it for too much time to have an excuse for bad performance and large amount of bugs.

It's not like talent is an universal thing among developers. If you suck, you could take an eternity and ship something buggy, while other developers ship something more polished in faster times. Not all softhouses work at the same pace, too.

lethal
02-07-2007, 05:08 AM
I hope that performance issues will be fixed in final version. Stalker looks like shit considering how much it demand (at least that version of the game). They were developing it for too much time to have an excuse for bad performance and large amount of bugs.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is truly a genre-redefining game. We're reminded most of Oblivion when playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R., an astonishing feat considering that at its core this is still a first person shooter. The vast open world is populated by its own living, breathing food chain, and is happy to do its own thing even if you just sit back and watch life go by.

right maybe GSC and THQ are giving money to those sites, so they can make positives comments.

lmao, by reading the gameinformer, ign preview and so a few others and come up with "looks like shit", its kinda like trolling around, in fact most posts here from some people are just about to "point out" negative stuffs that they really dont know and are just assuming that this game may have.

anyway, eurogamer for instance stated that you could run it very well with radeon 9800, so anyone with a radeon 9600 or similar will probably be able to run with medium settings or 800x600 with a few high details, etc...

You'll miss out on some of the more snazzy flourishes but if you beefed up your computer to cope with Half-Life 2 or Doom 3, as I suspect most PC players eventually did, then you'll certainly be able to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Even on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro it coped with the high detail setting with no problem.

well that sums up how good you can run that preview version and we really dont know how old is this build and there still amost 2 months to go.

Malgon
02-07-2007, 07:26 AM
It took them about 20 hours to finish

I remember a while back that it was planned to be about 80 hours for just the main quest. I could be wrong though. 20 hours is short for a hyrbid RPG style game, but longer than a standard FPS. Unless the reviewer rushed hard through it, I was expecting much longer than this. And no, quantity is not everything if the quality is there imo.

The atmosphere created in the zone is superb. It really is a desolate, grim place.

It is good to hear that, since it's what stuck out the most in my mind about the shots and the new trailers.

They had some performance issues on a P4 3.2Ghz, 7800GT, 1GB Ram on medium settings.

Hmm, seems like there are some mixed reports about performance and bug issues. Let's hope they are ironed out in time of the March release. :o

Nihilanth
02-07-2007, 07:36 AM
There's something not right with that so called review.

Let alone it's more than month from the release.
Magazines might have received preview beta, not review-ready version.
What game gets reviews this long before its release?

Not to mention that "it takes about one minute to traverse one map" thing is strange. What reviewer measures how much it takes to cross the map? Besides, even in leaked alpha version it took more than a minute to cross one map.

Malgon
02-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Yeah it could be some preview, since the description of the game makes it seem comparitively small from what we've been led to believe in the past about environment sizes.

Hudson
02-07-2007, 08:00 AM
I'll wait for final reviews, everything i've seem to read has been a mixed bag..

Lethe
02-07-2007, 08:01 AM
lmao, by reading the gameinformer, ign preview and so a few others and come up with "looks like shit", its kinda like trolling around, in fact most posts here from some people are just about to "point out" negative stuffs that they really dont know and are just assuming that this game may have.

Its not trolling around, and it is not the truth that I exclusively point out the bad things about this game. When I find something promising, I point it out. This company still have to earn my trust considering how unsuccesful ended every one of their previous games, so I'd rather be careful about my optimism about this game. Btw, you are acting the same, just on the other side of the fence, and you seem to point out only positive things, ignoring negative possibilities and constantly acting like jerk to anyone who is little more critical then you.

I really hope that this game does well. I will be the first to admit that it rocks if thats the case. But at this point, with every new bit of information about the game, I'm getting more and more dissapointed. I hope that I'm wrong.

EDIT: Exactly like Hudson said, everything is a mixed bag so far, and that is usually not very promising fact for the game.

hiob
02-07-2007, 08:02 AM
The preview version didn't contain all quests and some areas were inaccesible. I don't know, but I think they reviewed the preview version.

Hudson
02-07-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm just trying my damnedest to filter out the bullshit from truth, that's all.

I think i'm jut going to wait until the game comes out, as obvious as it sounds, it seems to be the best COA.

Malgon
02-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Bugs can really kill a game on release, since by the time they are fixed many people have already passed on it, no matter how good the experience really is. I want to see how stable Stalker will be upon release, rather than a multitude of problems which could seriously hamper first time impressions with players who have waited for all these years.

Sayantan
02-07-2007, 08:07 AM
I like it. I often find super heavy flash-packed sites to be too slow and cumbersome to navigate.

Me too. Moreover I dont really like websites which in the end looks like a showcase of web graphics only. They over-do the visual essence and stuff.

As for Stalker, man that screenshot with that yellow explosion got me all hyped up. Gimme! :D

02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
This company still have to earn my trust considering how unsuccesful ended every one of their previous games, so I'd rather be careful about my optimism about this game.

Thats my biggest worry. These guys haven't exactly had a hit yet, mostly budget garbage.

Krust
02-07-2007, 09:04 AM
The preview version didn't contain all quests and some areas were inaccesible. I don't know, but I think they reviewed the preview version.

Yes, that was my idea also when I saw it on the cover. But they say in the review they called THQ, and their reply was that the game is finished and they are waiting an opportune moment to release it (which seems weird because why is end march more opportune than end february :confused:).
Anyway, who knows we'll see an apology in the next issue, or it is indeed fully reviewed, in any case it gives me an estimate on what to expect.

Lethe
02-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Thats my biggest worry. These guys haven't exactly had a hit yet, mostly budget garbage.

Yep, and unfortunately, I played every one of their games. Dissapointed to say the least. If Stalker comes out good, then they probably drasticaly changed their ways of developement. I really hope that will be the case.

seregrail7
02-07-2007, 09:07 AM
There's something not right with that so called review.

Let alone it's more than month from the release.
Magazines might have received preview beta, not review-ready version.
What game gets reviews this long before its release?

Magazines started to recieve review code about a month ago, but many didn't review it becuase it wasn't the final retail code.
Not to mention that "it takes about one minute to traverse one map" thing is strange. What reviewer measures how much it takes to cross the map? Besides, even in leaked alpha version it took more than a minute to cross one map.
He's played it, you havn't.

Nihilanth
02-07-2007, 09:18 AM
He's played it, you havn't.

That doesn't change the fact that levels are up to 4 sq km. One minute to cross it?

Street (http://stalker.funday.pl/fusion_images/photoalbum/411.jpg)

It'd take you at least a minute to walk along that street (starting from low-left corner of the screen). And this is far from the size of entire level.

Mountain Man
02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
If Stalker comes out good, then they probably drasticaly changed their ways of developement.
Considering that the game really didn't get on track until Take 2 stepped in and took control of the project, I would say that's unlikely. I just hope the project lead they put in place was able to make something worthwhile out of the chaos he inherited.

Lethe
02-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Considering that the game really didn't get on track until Take 2 stepped in and took control of the project, I would say that's unlikely. I just hope the project lead they put in place was able to make something worthwhile out of the chaos he inherited.

Yeah, I always had a feeling that they were developing the game in a lazy way, making slow progress over the time with mediocre planning, and when publisher step in to move things a little bit faster, they suddendly rushed development, and that can't end up being good for game's quality. But, that is just my opinion and I'm not stating it as a fact. I really hope that my intuition is wrong...

Kristian Joensen
02-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Take 2 has got nothing to do with STALKER at all.

Mountain Man
02-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Take 2 has got nothing to do with STALKER at all.
You're right, it's THQ. Not that that changes anything.

Kristian Joensen
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
But they didn't really take charge at all. That was just a misunderstanding.

Mountain Man
02-07-2007, 12:38 PM
But they didn't really take charge at all.
They hired a project lead to get the development on track. Whether or not you want to consider that "taking charge" is a matter of perspective. Here's an interview with Dean Sharpe (http://pc.ign.com/articles/737/737610p1.html), the fellow they hired. It gives you some idea of what state the game was in when he took over.

KaiserSoze
02-07-2007, 12:45 PM
They hired a project lead to get the development on track. Whether or not you want to consider that "taking charge" is a matter of perspective. Here's an interview with Dean Sharpe (http://pc.ign.com/articles/737/737610p1.html), the fellow they hired. It gives you some idea of what state the game was in when he took over.

Boy, doesn't this quote sound eerily familiar:

The guys at (developer) GSC really wanted it to be the end-all, do-all game, and I think they got a little caught up in adding features - especially based on community requests. S.T.A.L.K.E.R has a huge community throughout the world and I think GSC just listened too much to what they wanted sometimes.

Kristian Joensen
02-07-2007, 12:57 PM

He acted more as an adviser and had no legal authority of the game at all.

Sayantan
02-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Boy, doesn't this quote sound eerily familiar:

I guess I know what you mean ..... :(

Echo Black
02-08-2007, 02:05 AM
This game will probably not deliver. I mean, compared to what most people that know about its development cycle think it will be. The least the developers could do would be actually shipping a solid title, not a buggy mess. But as I said, talent isn't universal.

I think it's so close to being released, we should just wait a few more weeks and actually see it for ourselves. :)

Nihilanth
02-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Four GameStar videos: (http://www.stalker-world.net/eng/)

1. First quest.
2. Arena.
3. Anomalies.
4. PDA.

Worth taking a look.

Nihilanth
02-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Along with the new video, Last man standing (http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/show/703), there's a rather lenghty episode of devs diary about combat AI (http://www.thq-games.com/uk/news/show/1670).

Excerpts:
Aside from individual actions, the NPCs are taught to effectively act as a team. Thus, in battle the AI exchange messages with each other, use suppression fire when one of them asks to cover him and the rest back him up; when severely wounded or killing an enemy the NPCs would brag their ‘deed’ to their friends; they also react to losses among their team, get panicked, etc.

(...) if there are two groups fighting with the player, not all of the enemies will be firing at the player – they will ‘distribute’ the enemies between themselves depending on strength.

02-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Along with the new video, Last man standing (http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/show/703), there's a rather lenghty episode of devs diary about combat AI (http://www.thq-games.com/uk/news/show/1670).

Excerpts:
Aside from individual actions, the NPCs are taught to effectively act as a team. Thus, in battle the AI exchange messages with each other, use suppression fire when one of them asks to cover him and the rest back him up; when severely wounded or killing an enemy the NPCs would brag their ‘deed’ to their friends; they also react to losses among their team, get panicked, etc.

(...) if there are two groups fighting with the player, not all of the enemies will be firing at the player – they will ‘distribute’ the enemies between themselves depending on strength.

You know what though? I don't care until I see it in action. I've heard this revolutionary AI speech before from Valve and twice they failed to live up to it. The AI in HL1 was supposed to hunt in packs, push boxes, run for help and generally act like real soldiers/creatures. What did we get? Waypoints.

Naw I won't buy it until it's on my PC.

Nihilanth
02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Still AI in HL1 was pretty good, lots of after-HL games still had standard Wolfenstein-styled AI. Besides, someone's gotta finally invest in AI instead of graphics/physics. I hope it'll be stalker, who knows, but I still hope. :)

02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Still AI in HL1 was pretty good

Not nearly as good as was promised. I remember reading about it in Interaction magazine and it sounded like a dream. Fast forward to 2007 and we still don't have AI that can do what they claimed. :D

Nihilanth
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Not nearly as good as was promised. I remember reading about it in Interaction magazine and it sounded like a dream. Fast forward to 2007 and we still don't have AI that can do what they claimed. :D

Well, of course devs promise more than they deliver. But yeah, HL1, while revolutionary, looks like shit compared to what one could read before its release (taken from HL preview):

"Half-Life boasts a living, dynamic environment, complete with a flourishing alien ecosystem that goes about its otherworldly business in real time whether you're around to see it or not: Strange creatures - not all of whom are your enemies or indeed necessarily dangerous - roam, flock, breed, and evolve (or mutate) by themselves, and if you decide to follow one at a discreet distance (rather than just blowing it away on sight, a practice so ingrained into long-time Dukers and Quakers that it'll probably be passed on to their children via DNA), you might just learn something about the large and complicated mess you're in. The world, in the words of Stephen King, moves on - damp walls grow mossy, predators and prey play out their natural roles, and small groups of creatures left unmolested grow to sizeable numbers. Special scripted sequences mean that those most devious and treacherous of animals - men - patrol, scheme, scratch their personal regions, argue, and murder, unaware you're watching and listening to them - unless you barge loudly into a room and make yourself known, of course. All this adds up to a sort of player affirmation, a pleasing sense that the world has a tangible scheme behind it, and that your actions or lack thereof can really make a difference; maybe if you hadn't vaporized that flock of birds (or whatever they were), the loud monstrosity currently yowling in the dark would have something to hunt besides you. Why cower behind that jeep, trying futilely to pick off that obviously bulletproof Blue Ugly by the far wall when you can simply fire up the jeep, drive right up to Alf over there and just run his extraterrestrial ass down? Half-Life's AI, too, may prove a rude wake-up call to first-person gamers - the creatures here want to live just as badly as you do; lone monsters who can grasp the notion that you have a gun and they don't will hightail it, maybe to hide, maybe to get all fifteen of his big brothers; human squads in particular adopt ruthless tactics against you, pinning you down with fire from half the group while the other half tries to sneak up behind you."

Hmm, yeah, but who really hates HL1 because of that? :D ... Maybe we should?...

MAT
02-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Still, Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 are the most accurate examples of how a living world should be. The world in HL is indeed moving on. It's mostly scripted, but then again, it delivers the immersion and that's is what counts.

02-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Still, Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 are the most accurate examples of how a living world should be. The world in HL is indeed moving on. It's mostly scripted, but then again, it delivers the immersion and that's is what counts.

The animations yes, but not how they act. I still award Ultima VII that honour because I've yet to see another game mimmic the day to day actions of people with any degree of accuracy. Sure - many characters in U7 did sqaut, but others had jobs, knew what time of day it was, opened and closed shutters depending on if it was raining, etc etc.

I realize thats because it's an RPG, but damnit nothing comes even close. When a game evolves this concept then it stands a chance of being called "Most accurate".

MAT
02-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I agree, RPGs are maybe more complex and lifelike in terms of non-playable characters, but it's the same complexity imposed on the NPCs that makes them absurd. The complexity also introduces more bugs to the NPC behaviour.

On the other hand, Half Life series does so many things right that it creates an unparalleled immersion for me. I haven't encountered a similar immersion in any RPG's so far, simply because their complexity failed most times.

(I haven't played Ultima series)

Mountain Man
02-09-2007, 12:16 PM
The animations yes, but not how they act. I still award Ultima VII that honour because I've yet to see another game mimmic the day to day actions of people with any degree of accuracy. Sure - many characters in U7 did sqaut, but others had jobs, knew what time of day it was, opened and closed shutters depending on if it was raining, etc etc.

I realize thats because it's an RPG, but damnit nothing comes even close. When a game evolves this concept then it stands a chance of being called "Most accurate".
I suppose we'll see that when there is a valid gameplay reason for implementing it. On the whole, however, most games simply do not need that level of AI awareness in order to provide the intended experience. A few canned responses and basic scheduling is really all that's necessary.

02-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I suppose we'll see that when there is a valid gameplay reason for implementing it. On the whole, however, most games simply do not need that level of AI awareness in order to provide the intended experience. A few canned responses and basic scheduling is really all that's necessary.

I strongly disagree. The reason I can't enjoy any RPGs the same way as Ultima is mainly because of how bland and stale their actions are. Each character had their own portait, responses, personality and schedule. To me that was the pinnacle. However it also had many flaws due to it's age, they could only cram so much into that memory manager.

If an oblivion type added this back in I'd be heaven.

Echo Black
02-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Gamespot has a new Updated STALKER Q&A (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/news.html?sid=6165701): Smart AI, Advanced Physics, and Multiplayer.

GS: Tell us about the combat in the single-player game. How true to life are the weapons and damage models? Is the game intended to be highly realistic and punishing for less-skilled players?

AB: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is oriented around realism, so we are doing everything in such a way that the player will feel that everything is real, including graphics, atmosphere, and artificial intelligence. We used the same principle working on weapons in the game.

There are about 30 weapon types, most of them based on real prototypes. Many of these weapons are upgradeable with scopes, grenade launchers, and silencers, just as in real life. The same thing applies with the ballistics. Making apt use of the physics engine, we implemented a large number of interactive gameplay features, which makes the game more realistic and lively. Thus, true bullet ballistics were implemented in the game. To adjust the bullets, we used such parameters as mass, speed of flight, materials-piercing abilities, and environment resistance. As a result, our weapons act very realistically. For example, when you are shooting the Russian Vintorez rifle from long distances, you can see that the bullet is flying in a parabola. That is why while shooting at a target that is far away, you should aim a bit higher.

Real bullet speed makes it necessary to lead your target while shooting at a target that is moving and far away. The same goes for grenades; they use physics, creating physical waves and splinters after the explosion. We also created a ricochet that sometimes can be used to shoot a covered enemy, if you are able to calculate everything correctly, of course. You should remember the ricochet effect so you don't hit yourself accidentally.

Using iron sights is more accurate than shooting from the waist, and shooting while you are sitting is more accurate than shots made while running. You should also take into account the density of materials and the ability to shoot through them--concrete blocks are good cover, while thin metal and wood are not. In addition, we should say that nearly every weapon has different cartridge types (splinter, armor piercing, and so on), each of which has its own physical properties. And don't forget to change your weapons from time to time, as the weapons show realistic wear and tear over time.

We created a realistic damage system where the torso or headshot will be completely different from the hand or leg ones. You will see the proper animations of enemies hit in each body part. After a serious torso hit, the enemies will fall on the ground squirming in pain. The more injured a character is, the more that character's state will change--heavily injured characters will leave tracks of blood (which can be followed). Without dressing a wound, you can bleed to death.

By creating the combat system, we were trying to make it realistic, fun, and as efficient as possible, so we think that beginners will be able to get used to it very quickly. Having familiarized themselves with the weapons properties, players will be able to use them effectively in different combat conditions.

In bold, one of the features I've ALWAYS WANTED from a FPS. I hate how people simply shrug off an Assault Rifle round to the chest in most games.

Daveman
02-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Soldier of Fortune games always did that really well.

Nihilanth
02-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Here's something that is really worth seeing. Video review of the first 3-4 hours of stalker (http://www.xboxyde.com/stream_3551_en.html). I have to say that this is probably one of the best things I've seen lately about that game, very promising. It's a rather lenghty video, the part about stalker starts at about 4 minutes.

A must-see.

Hudson
02-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Oh man, that's awesome. This game is mine :D

Anyone know where I can preorder that collectors edition?

oak man
02-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah This game looks amazing, I hope they release a level editor!:D:D:D

FrozeN91
02-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Really nice. They sound very excited about the game. ;)

Daveman
02-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I can't wait to get my new computer now. :(

oak man
02-10-2007, 04:15 PM
same here

Tang Lung
02-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Here's something that is really worth seeing. Video review of the first 3-4 hours of stalker (http://www.xboxyde.com/stream_3551_en.html). I have to say that this is probably one of the best things I've seen lately about that game, very promising. It's a rather lenghty video, the part about stalker starts at about 4 minutes.

A must-see.

Is the video heavy on the spoilers? I want to watch it since you all seem excited about it, but I don't want to OD on the game before I even play it :insomnia:

Hudson
02-10-2007, 05:04 PM
No spoilers, impressions mainly.

Hudson
02-10-2007, 05:04 PM
I can't wait to get my new computer now. :(

I'm hoping I should be fine:

A64 3500+
1.25gb PC-3200
6800 Ultra 256

I read on a preview somewhere that they used a rig similar to this and had no problems.

Daveman
02-10-2007, 05:27 PM
I think I could run it but it would be hideous. Oblivion runs on my computer but it's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.

I don't understand how something like Oblivion can look so bad and run so horribly while something like Half-Life 2 can look so good and run so well. :(

Dead Meat
02-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Half-Life 2 looks good??

Damien_Azreal
02-10-2007, 05:29 PM
^^^ Looked good. ;) :p

ecause Oblivion only really shines at full settings. :p Well, not true. I was able to run it a medium/high and it looked pretty good.

Not as good as official screenshots but it looked good.

FrozeN91
02-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Half-Life 2 looks good??

Hell YES !! :doh:

Dead Meat
02-10-2007, 05:32 PM
^^^ Looked good. ;) :p

O RLY? :) :p

02-10-2007, 05:39 PM

A must-see.

I watched some of it, looks cool. Like System Shock in a wide open area. :cool:

Damien_Azreal
02-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, after watching that video I'm ready to order the damn game. :p

Tang Lung
02-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Okay, I watched the video. Looks like alot of fun, I always enjoy games that offer you more than one choice and lets you plot your own path through. If my computer can handle it it's a purchase :)

Mountain Man
02-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Wow, the guys in the video seemed pretty positive. So do I preorder this thing or not?

FireFly
02-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't see the point in preordering. What do you lose to wait for the reviews?

Hudson
02-10-2007, 08:41 PM
A day or two without Stalker ;)

Damien_Azreal
02-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Or for people like me, who live in the middle of nowhere, it could be weeks or months. ;)

We didn't get copies of PREY, Painkiller, Condemned or FEAR here until almost a month or two after the official release.

lethal
02-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I don't see the point in preordering. What do you lose to wait for the reviews?

so you gonna make you opinion based in some review? though you can get more or less the idea how the game play, but what people should look are the all the game features, the story, the styl and then, the reviews, even though if a review say bad stuffs and some how it still sound interesting for you, then you should try and see for yourself.

so far the previews are good, so the reviews will probably be good as well, though some dudes that make those reviews are totaly noob saying nonsense stuffs and the amazing thing is that people get hyped by what they say.

i can already see some of them mentioning all those years and the delays, etc... i would say the same for DNF, some review would be very pointless.

if you think that any game is a worth to try out, then just try, only your experience will tell if it was a good game or not.

i also dont see the point in preordering, but i dont see either the point for waiting for a review, if you already have enough information about the game, you would get it anyway and i wonder how many days it would take to finish this game and make a review, using many people would be fast, but it would endup as a messed up review, since who is writing the review didnt play the whole game.

Lethe
02-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Wow, this video restored my faith. Can't wait for the game...

dark_angel
02-11-2007, 02:01 AM
The link is dead? I am getting a "page not found" error.

Edit: working now.

Mongorian
02-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Video review of the first 3-4 hours of stalker (http://www.xboxyde.com/stream_3551_en.html)

Oh man. I wasn't even interested in this game anymore, but the atmosphere in that video just looks...amazing. I can't wait to play this.

PlayfulPuppy
02-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Man, I completely forgot about this game.

I lost intrest after it got pushed back about the 5th time, but it's really looking great from that video. It looks like Oblivion meets System Shock meets Half-Life 2.

So is there any news on when this is coming out, or how far along it is?

FrozeN91
02-11-2007, 06:14 AM
I think it's something like March 17th.

dark_angel
02-11-2007, 06:17 AM
^^^
March 6, 2007.

FrozeN91
02-11-2007, 06:23 AM
^^^
March 6, 2007.

Even earlier :love: Only 23 days left.

Nihilanth
02-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Wrong. March 23th is correct - 39 days.

FrozeN91
02-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Wrong. March 23th is correct - 39 days.

Ahh, way to ruin the mood :( :p

X-Vector
02-11-2007, 07:17 AM
That looked nice, but I have to say that the music stole the show.
Don't know how well it'll fit the atmosphere of the game though.

Hudson
02-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Heh, that music was from Diablo :D

X-Vector
02-11-2007, 07:53 AM
You don't say.

Hudson
02-11-2007, 08:03 AM
I do say, in fact I think Blizzard should sue GSC for ripping off their music! How dare they steal the thunder of what is Diablo!

Jokke_r
02-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Wasn't that music from diablo2? anyway, i don't think it was part of the game but added later by the guys doing the review, since it kept playing outside of the ingame clips. It fit really well though.

Daedolon
02-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Wasn't that music from diablo2?

The games share at least two songs.

As for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it's sad to hear they decided not to include the vehicles and wasn't in some recent news that you don't need to feed or sleep in the game anymore? It's kinda sad, but luckily the community has alot of modders who have promised to fix these things back to the way they were.

I'm definately buying this game the day it is released.

X-Vector
02-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Watch the credits, it's from the original Diablo (and no, it doesn't really fit).

The Earth Defense Force X footage near the end of the video is awesome BTW, as is the Guitar Wolf track.

Mongorian
02-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Heh, that music was from Diablo :D

Yeah. I wonder what the games music is actually like. As I was watching it I imagined some European metal in place of the wonderful Diablo music. Not the same game then.

Hudson, you implied that GSC put the Diablo music in Stalker; I'm pretty sure it was something those frogs added in.

qwerty
02-11-2007, 02:55 PM
I won a key for the stalker multiplayer beta :p

02-11-2007, 03:00 PM

Judging by the gameplay and general appeal of this game I can't understand what use multiplayer would have. Same way that Deus Ex's MP never interested me.

Damien_Azreal
02-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, as far as Multiplayer goes I think that would be STALKER's least appealing aspect.

Daveman
02-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Unless the maps were big enough to make it fun.

Co-op would be awesome too.

FullMetalJacket
02-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Yup, Stalker looks pretty good. I don't know how crazy I am about the damage model, though...I mean, human enemies shrugging off multiple blasts from a sawed-off shotgun at point-blank range? I thought we were supposed to be going forwards with shooters, not backwards. :doh:

Hudson
02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Yup, Stalker looks pretty good. I don't know how crazy I am about the damage model, though...I mean, human enemies shrugging off multiple blasts from a sawed-off shotgun at point-blank range? I thought we were supposed to be going forwards with shooters, not backwards. :doh:

I thought I read the damage model for Stalker was awesome, where you shoot someone in the stomach they react like you shot them in the stomach.. the same with everything else.

Am I thinking of another game :confused:

[Edit]: No, it's Stalker: Check here:

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php?p=490355&postcount=655

Hudson, you implied that GSC put the Diablo music in Stalker; I'm pretty sure it was something those frogs added in.

It was a joke man, I guess I should have exaggerated more :o

Buzzer
02-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Belgian game magazine PCGameplay (www.pcgameplay.be) reviewed Stalker and gave it 83%, not too shabby. I haven't read it myself but a friend of mine game me the short about the article:

- Engine is described as a "polished Source engine"
- If you get wounded, you must attend your wounds, or beasts/animals can follow your blood trails and health will keep decreasing.
- The world is divided in maps, loading can be compared to HL2, you step into a hallway or something, and you come out the other side in the new map/area. So no Oblivion-esque landscapes.
- Stalker supports widescreen

Here are the plusses:
+Mysterieus Story
+Shooting in Tsjernobyl!
+Counterstrike like Multiplayer( mentioned in the article)
+A hell of a good shooter
-A few bugs and stuff

And here's the minus:
-Doesn't make do quite as what they promised

Gameplay: 50/60
Graphics: 17/20
Sound: 16/20
Total: 83/100

Please keep in mind that PCgameplay rarely gives scores above 90%.

*edit* My opinion is that, if this game never got hiped and came out of the blue, it would have gotten a much higher score. Another game that's a victim of it's own hype.

Bobby B
02-12-2007, 04:01 AM

Ah u lucky bugger! I entered about 6 competitions trying to get me one of those, with no luck!:(

Post screens after you've played it!

lethal
02-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Belgian game magazine PCGameplay (www.pcgameplay.be) reviewed Stalker and gave it 83%, not too shabby. I haven't read it myself but a friend of mine game me the short about the article:

- Engine is described as a "polished Source engine"
- If you get wounded, you must attend your wounds, or beasts/animals can follow your blood trails and health will keep decreasing.
- The world is divided in maps, loading can be compared to HL2, you step into a hallway or something, and you come out the other side in the new map/area. So no Oblivion-esque landscapes.
- Stalker supports widescreen

Here are the plusses:
+Mysterieus Story
+Shooting in Tsjernobyl!
+Counterstrike like Multiplayer( mentioned in the article)
+A hell of a good shooter
-A few bugs and stuff

And here's the minus:
-Doesn't make do quite as what they promised

Gameplay: 50/60
Graphics: 17/20
Sound: 16/20
Total: 83/100

Please keep in mind that PCgameplay rarely gives scores above 90%.

*edit* My opinion is that, if this game never got hiped and came out of the blue, it would have gotten a much higher score. Another game that's a victim of it's own hype.

:doh:

some1 already posted that few poges ago and its not a review, but a preview, since they dont have the final game, they just got a preview build, nothing more, just read Q&A of gamespot, they are still working in the game, so there is no way this site could do a review of the final game, its just the same preview build they sent to all otehrs sites.

Malgon
02-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Have to check out those new videos, and the walkthrough one as well. I'm getting pumped for it now. :)

Nihilanth
02-12-2007, 06:13 AM
About this French review | As you probably know, stalker was tested with GeForce 7900GS. One of the authors stepped by Oblivion-Lost site and said this about games performance:

* Preview version lacked several optimizations
* Footage has been captured with Fraps
* It was 720p with everything maxed-out

And finally, the HD version (720p) will be available today.

Hudson
02-12-2007, 07:51 AM
720p? They mean 1280×720?

What?

qwerty
02-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Ah u lucky bugger! I entered about 6 competitions trying to get me one of those, with no luck!:(

:o

if you want to play it so much I will give you my key, Im not that interested in stalker

I will send you a PM :)

Buzzer
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
:doh:

some1 already posted that few poges ago and its not a review, but a preview, since they dont have the final game, they just got a preview build, nothing more, just read Q&A of gamespot, they are still working in the game, so there is no way this site could do a review of the final game, its just the same preview build they sent to all otehrs sites.

First of all, my post contains more and complete information about the article. Second, all you people talking about "incomplete preview versions" are in a bad state of denial: Are you trying to say the developers of the game are sending out these incomplete "preview" versions to magazines and review websites for...what purpose? For the game to get bad scores and "previews" based on this version? I never heard of a company shipping out a "preview" version to game rating sites and magazines, sound a bit silly to me. The developers wouldn't be so stupid as to send an incomplete and lacking version of their game to the people they need to impress the most.

We'll see when it hits the stores...i'm hoping for the best because i've been looking forward to this game for a long time now.

Nihilanth
02-12-2007, 02:14 PM
The game is not ready for shipping yet and thus, full reviews are not possible. Preview version sent to magazines/sites are meant to give a taste of the first steps in a game.

MAT
02-12-2007, 02:31 PM
The game is not ready for shipping yet and thus, full reviews are not possible. Preview version sent to magazines/sites are meant to give a taste of the first steps in a game.

True. A recent interview done by Gamespot clearly says the game is still in polishing phase. It's misleading of those websites that scored Stalker.

Kristian Joensen
02-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Buzzer(and anyone else for that matter), it is NOT the developer that handles promotion/marketing of a game, that is the publishers job, also in cases where the developer owns the IP.

Mountain Man
02-12-2007, 03:32 PM
True. A recent interview done by Gamespot clearly says the game is still in polishing phase. It's misleading of those websites that scored Stalker.
Or perhaps the publications in question were unaware that the copies of the game they received were for preview purposes only. There's no reason to immediately assume deliberate deception.

Kristian Joensen
02-12-2007, 03:42 PM
That is also most plausible since there have been popping a lot of previews up lately where it seems the previewers have played it on their own machines.

Also how come only ONE publication has taken the opportunity to review it if an actual review build was sent out ?

MAT
02-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Or perhaps the publications in question were unaware that the copies of the game they received were for preview purposes only. There's no reason to immediately assume deliberate deception.

That's possible, but it doesn't change the fact that the folks developing Stalker were busy polishing the game as of Feb 9, 2007 5:44 (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/news.html?sid=6165701&tag=topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot), so it is most likely an unfinished version of Stalker those publications claim to have reviewed.

seregrail7
02-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Magazines and websites are rarely given the final retail version of a game. They're usually given 'Review Code', which is considered comparable to what the final retail version will be like. Meaning that the publisher doesn't think the final tweaks being made will affect the games final score.

Hudson
02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah well i'll wait for a more "official" review.

.. not that it's going to stop me from buying it anyway ;)

Still looking to pre-order that collectors edition :( Can't find it anywhere.

Damien_Azreal
02-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Is the collector's edition a limited item? Like only so many made, or for the first so many that pre-order? I want the collector's edition, but not sure if I can wait and still get it.

Halcyon
02-13-2007, 04:09 AM
Is the collector's edition a limited item?
Yup, limited to 17.777 copies worldwide.

Nihilanth
02-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Yup, limited to 17.777 copies worldwide.

No. This is only true for German Limited Edition. Normal Collector's Edition (same as LE but without a book, don't remember the title and double-language game) will supposedly be available everywhere.

Halcyon
02-13-2007, 06:49 AM
No. This is only true for German Limited Edition. Normal Collector's Edition (same as LE but without a book, don't remember the title and double-language game) will supposedly be available everywhere.

Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting, so Germany has its own Limited Edition?

PlayfulPuppy
02-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Magazines and websites are rarely given the final retail version of a game. They're usually given 'Review Code', which is considered comparable to what the final retail version will be like. Meaning that the publisher doesn't think the final tweaks being made will affect the games final score.

I can testify to that. One of the games I've worked on had reviews out months before the final code was shipped (Which took me a bit by suprise, actually). Given most of the changes from that point were just crash fixes, but some other gameplay tweaks were included; probably enough to warrant a patch if the review code was released.

(Why the hell do they call it 'review code'? They're not getting code, dammit, they're getting binaries)

lethal
02-13-2007, 11:08 AM
First of all, my post contains more and complete information about the article. Second, all you people talking about "incomplete preview versions" are in a bad state of denial: Are you trying to say the developers of the game are sending out these incomplete "preview" versions to magazines and review websites for...what purpose? For the game to get bad scores and "previews" based on this version? I never heard of a company shipping out a "preview" version to game rating sites and magazines, sound a bit silly to me. The developers wouldn't be so stupid as to send an incomplete and lacking version of their game to the people they need to impress the most.

We'll see when it hits the stores...i'm hoping for the best because i've been looking forward to this game for a long time now.

oh yeah? then why all others sites listed here have a preview instead of a review?

duh because they got a preview version, demo version, build <insert number here> version, to test the game and see how it look and play, that is a form of PR and most previews said positive stuffs, so its valid.

Buzzer
02-13-2007, 11:50 AM
oh yeah? then why all others sites listed here have a preview instead of a review?

duh because they got a preview version, demo version, build <insert number here> version, to test the game and see how it look and play, that is a form of PR and most previews said positive stuffs, so its valid.

So it's valid because they said positive stuff? And what if they said negative stuff? It would be invalid? Typical fanboy reasoning. And who ever said that the PCGameplay review was negative? 83% is a high score, especially judging by their standards. And they said a lot of positive stuff about the game.

I'm willing to agree that they got a "preview" version, but do you realy think that the final version is going to be so much different than this "incomplete preview version"? After all they spent like 5-6 years working on the game, do you think one extra month of polishing is going to boost it another 10-15% worth?

I'm not trying to prove the point that Stalker is going to be a bad game or anything, i'm just discussing the validity of the PCGameplay review. After all, they where the first magazine to review HL2 (despite what PCGamer says).

Anyway, i guess we'll see in a couple weeks if the wait has been worth it.

Mongorian
02-13-2007, 12:06 PM
So it's valid because they said positive stuff? And what if they said negative stuff? It would be invalid?

YES YOU BROKE THE CODE

Aegeri
02-13-2007, 12:19 PM
YES YOU BROKE THE CODE

Nobody says negative things about a game on a preview copy!

02-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Looking at this thread I almost fear the day when DNF nears release. Oh what fun...

Betelgeuse
02-13-2007, 12:42 PM
^^heh , yeah i was thinking the exact same thing the other day, poop will hit the fan.

Aegeri
02-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Looking at this thread I almost fear the day when DNF nears release. Oh what fun...

It's going to be awesome. I dunno about you, but I've prepared for the coming crab/troll battle since 1999. If I were you, I'd get my bunker and jams ready for the coming apocalypse.

Hudson
02-13-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm actually looking forward to it.

It'll be a battle between the hardened veterans, the new generation, and the three post newbies who signed up just to bitch.

I may request off just for the occasion :D

If I were you, I'd get my bunker and jams ready for the coming apocalypse.

Already prepared:
Five thousand cases of ramen noodles
Water purification system
Garden of Eden Creation Kit

Betelgeuse
02-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm actually looking forward to it.

It'll be a battle between the hardened veterans, the new generation, and the three post newbies who signed up just to bitch.

lol, i couldn't have put it any better, there was a few of those 3 post trolls even for the "job application screenie"

EDIT: sorry, getting off topic eh :doh:

02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Water purification system

Mine was delivered to the wrong place. :(

lethal
02-14-2007, 05:52 AM
yup, because even if they see bad stuffs and mention negative stuffs, they will also mention that is not the final game and its a preview version, so a preview version come together with an "excuse", if there is a problem, then "well its not the final game", if there are good things, then its just a plus, so its perfect for PR.

Malgon
02-14-2007, 06:00 AM
So how many of you guys are planning on getting it? I put down a $10 payment for the collectors edition. Looks sweet. :cool:

Nihilanth
02-14-2007, 06:12 AM
So how many of you guys are planning on getting it? I put down a $10 payment for the collectors edition. Looks sweet. :cool:

I have been waiting since late 2004, more actively since early 2005. It's around 2 years. Do whatever you want, this game is on my must-get-it list no matter what. :)

Here you have some new shots:
01 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_1.jpg)
02 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_2.jpg)
03 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_3.jpg)
04 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_4.jpg)
05 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_5.jpg)
06 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_6.jpg)
07 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_7.jpg)
08 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_8.jpg)
09 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_9.jpg)
10 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_10.jpg)
11 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_11.jpg)
12 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_12.jpg)
13 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_13.jpg)
14 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_14.jpg)
15 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_15.jpg)

Everyone interested in HD version of French preview check this site. (http://www.gamersyde.com/gsd4_hd_en.html) You can get just stalker footage there (and GRAW 2 if you will) in original quality. Beware of the size, over 800mb. But it's really nice.

Phait
02-14-2007, 06:37 AM
12 (http://www.oblivion-lost.de/ger/community/screenshots/130207/stalker_12.jpg)

Big hands.

And big feet from other screens...

what's going on :o

Halcyon
02-14-2007, 07:08 AM

I've also been waiting for this game a pretty long time now and already pre-ordered the Collector's Edition. Gameplay- and atmosphere-wise this game seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for.

Hudson
02-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Big hands.

Radiation man, radiation.

Sayantan
02-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Big hands.

True, I wonder why the character art lead didn't notice that in the first place. He should be solely responsible. :insomnia:

Betelgeuse
02-14-2007, 07:52 AM

I can't, not get it. I have had my eye on this game for a while, I'm way to curious not too buy it. And the Demo will probably just influence me to purchase it even more.

Hudson
02-14-2007, 07:57 AM
I've also been waiting for this game a pretty long time now and already pre-ordered the Collector's Edition. Gameplay- and atmosphere-wise this game seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for.

Collectors edition, where? Where can I find this!

True, I wonder why the character art lead didn't notice that in the first place. He should be solely responsible. :insomnia:

I think it's the angle of the shot.

Sayantan
02-14-2007, 07:59 AM
I think it's the angle of the shot.

FOV issue?? Nope, doesn't seem like so.

hanged_man
02-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Radiation man, radiation.

lool nice one dude

Halcyon
02-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Collectors edition, where? Where can I find this!

Here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/S-T-L-K-E-R-Shadow-Chernobyl-Limited/dp/B000MQ7LHW/sr=8-1/qid=1171461886/ref=pd_ka_1/203-5312962-3845549?ie=UTF8&s=videogames), for example.

predefined
02-14-2007, 09:37 AM

When i put my hands around a canister of coke its exactly the same. Dont make big hand (for a man quiet normal) people sound like aliens...

Mountain Man
02-14-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm on the fence at the moment, but I'm definitely leaning towards buying it. Every indication at this point seems to suggest that the developers, through some miracle or other, may have actually put together a terrific game.

Damien_Azreal
02-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm gonna get it. The videos look awesome, every preview gives of a very impressive experience. It looks very nice graphically, the world seems huge and open.
True the character models are a little low poly, but it's obvious they focused on the game world first. This one will be a definite buy for me.

Sayantan
02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
When i put my hands around a canister of coke its exactly the same. Dont make big hand (for a man quiet normal) people sound like aliens...

Surprisingly the canister is also a bit bigger in terms of proportions. The fingers are like smaller, longer bananas. :insomnia:

FrozeN91
02-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Haha :p Maybe the hands and feet will look more "normal" in motion :rolleyes:

Sayantan
02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Actually that's not something really important as long as the game is interesting (and it seems so). But graphic whores like me would keep bitching about it, and they know this very well. So they should've fixed it so nobody's gonna point their fingers at them. :p