PDA

View Full Version : Black/Invisible portals?

Frogacuda
06-22-2006, 09:28 AM
I meet all the reccomended requirements and I have a X800 with the latest drivers, but I'm getting some portals (for instance, the first one you encounter, or the one that teleports you inside the glass cube with the little planet) that just appear black, and then others that can't be seen at all, but passing through them still rusults in my suddenly being elsewhere. Most of them seem to work fine, so I don't know what the deal is.

EDIT: Ok, I downgraded my drivers to Catalyst 6.4 and that did the trick. Silly Human Head forgot to test with the new ones.

Varsity
06-22-2006, 10:56 AM
I get this on my X800 too. Some portals are normal, some are always black, others are only black when they are far away. I'm using the Omega drivers, which could be the problem.

Brian Karis
06-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Portals fade out to black at a distance for speeds sake. That would be a bug if they are like that up close. Do you have the latest drivers for your video card?

Varsity
06-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Like I said, I'm using the Omegas. Forgacuda seems to be using the Cats though.

Edit: They don't fade out BTW. They just flip over to total blackness.

CameO73
06-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I have a similar problem. The portals are transparant (not black!) from the inside at a distance, when I'm near them they suddenly switch to portal view.

I've got a GeForce 7600GT 256MB (using ForceWare 91.31); running on Windows XP SP2.

Frogacuda
06-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Portals fade out to black at a distance for speeds sake. That would be a bug if they are like that up close. Do you have the latest drivers for your video card?
Yeah, I'm not talking about the ones that fade to black. Some of them do that, and I'm calling these ones "normal" but some are black even right in front of them, and some of them sort of snap back and forth irregularly.

And I am using the latest Catalysts. I upgraded for HL2 Ep1 just a couple weeks ago.

OnyxBMW
06-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I have the exact same problem.

The very first portal, and the one that takes you into the small box planet are both bugged so that, even as I approach very close to them, they are both perfectly black.

The first time I did SP I almost never went through the first portal because I didn't know that it *was* a portal, because the image literally was not there.

I'm almost positive this is a game bug and not a tech issue, as all the other portals work almost perfectly fine (the ONLY other bug I found related to portals was that mirrors/portals stutter sometimes and have black spots)

My vid card is a Radeon X1600, though, so this could be an ATI issue.

EDIT: Adding my system specs.

Amd Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2ghz
ATI Radeon x1600 pro AGP (512MB)
2x512MB DDR2 400mhz RAM.
Antec Neo HE 550W PSU

Mikeh
06-22-2006, 06:18 PM
For me, Most portals showed teh otehr side just fine, but a few woudl not, like the one that led to the littel sphjere thing inthe glass case. no matter how close i got i could not see the other side until i went through....

I'd say about 1/3 of the portals did that for me.

Other than that, the demo ran great! much better than i expected.
I went under 34 fps only once.
My specs:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core @2.3ghz
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D nForce4
2x1GB OCZ EL Platinum 2.5,5,3,5,T1
ATI x1900 All-In-Wonder 256mb
Enermax 550w PSU
1x 120gb WD 7200rpm
1x 250gb WD 7200rpm
LG 16x 4167b

Malphas
06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
That's wierd. I have a low-range 6600GT 128 mb and all the portals had the correct view from the other end.

EDIT: could it possibly be an ATI driver issue? Dunno though, since one of you have a GeForce.

Frogacuda
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Looks like HH just forgot to test with the latest drivers. I downgraded to 6.4 and it's fine. Hopefully they fix this in the future.

OnyxBMW
06-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I'll confirm that switching back to 6.4 did indeed switch the black portal issue.

CameO73
06-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Well, it's not only ATI. Anyone else having problems with ForceWare 91.31? (see my earlier post above)

ShadeEX
06-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Well, it's not only ATI. Anyone else having problems with ForceWare 91.31? (see my earlier post above)

well as far as i know those are the beta drivers.. try using the latest official ones.. 84.21 i use those on my 6600 GT AGP and im not having any problems at all..

Varsity
06-23-2006, 02:34 AM
I've gone back through the demo again, and not ALL portals black out instantly. The ones in the scene where the Sphere starts vomiting brown stuff at you (those things do way too much damage BTW) work properly at the very least.

I've noticed with the shrinking portal that puts you on the mini planet that I get framerate drops when looking through it, even though it is black. I guess that means that the view through it is being rendered, even if I can't see it.

OnyxBMW
06-23-2006, 05:00 AM
I'd also like to point out that the 6.4 drivers for ATI fixed a lot of other issues I noticed, such as the mirror at the intro and portals having black bars popping randomly in it.

This is now definitely a driver incompatability issue, though the devs should fix it post haste!

As for framerait drops even though it is black, I bet it is, indeed, trying to render it, and I bet an image is there, too (as per your speculation). However, the black part I bet is where the issue lies, in that it isn't going away when it should (which most of us figured was part of the problem, including yourself)

If you guys havn't done so already, I suggest rolling back your drivers and seeing if that fixes it.

Bobby B
06-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Yep I confirm that i also have this problem on my Ati x800 with latest drivers

lastrite
06-23-2006, 08:34 AM
I think I experienced this too on the first portal I came across. I'm using a X800XT Agp with the latest dhzeropoint drivers.

Wildbear
06-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I have an x1600 pro, and I had a problem with catalyst 6.3, there were some black rectangles on the side of the mirror and some portals.

I installed 6.5 and didn't have that problem anymore but some other portals were black, and I think some "wallwalking walls" were a little darker than they should.

I installed catalyst 6.4 and didn't notice any little problem, the game runs perfectly with those. I don't know if that is "only" a driver issue, but using 6.4 sure fixes the problem.

CameO73
06-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Just for the record: the transparant portal issue doesn't occur when I use the (WHQL) ForceWare 84.21 drivers (they're looking pretty damn good!). Ah well, the price you pay for using beta drivers, I guess...

DekenFrost
06-23-2006, 01:59 PM
interessting .. maybe the old drivers also handles with the "glow" issue ?

anyone testet that ?

UncleSLAM
06-23-2006, 08:40 PM
I have a Radeon x850 and had the same problem. I'm using the latest driver 6.5. Disabling the Catalyst A.I. under the 3D section of the Catalyst Control Panel fixed it for me.

Chode
06-24-2006, 02:38 AM
I noticed this in only one part, where:

******SPOILERS********

you are back in the bar for the second time, and after killing all of the aliens a large number of portals opened.

The portals are black from a distance (across the room distance), but within around 1 or 2 meters they fade from black.

I assumed that this was the correct behaviour, because of the extreme number of portals visible to one another.

I'm running a 9800 Pro, using Catalyst 6.5 drivers.

CameO73
06-24-2006, 03:13 PM
I've found a solution to the transparant portal bug that occurs when using ForceWare 91.31. It's really simple, but comes at a (small) price.

Just execute the following command (or put it in your autoexec.cfg):

seta image_useCompression "0"

This will use more VRAM, so anything below 256MB videoram will probable see a severe FPS hit...

OnyxBMW
06-24-2006, 04:09 PM
They don't let you have more than 1 portal visible at once, especially in that kind of situation, because of the potential for the computer to render every portal infinitely (ALA 2 mirrors facing each other). It'd kill your computer in half a second if that room allowed each portal to render the others through it.

Delta
06-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Just a little heads up for nvidia users.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.31.html

The 91.31 drivers are now out of beta, WHQL certification and all.

Personally, I've not run into any problems with portals. They work as expected.

Chode
06-24-2006, 11:10 PM
They don't let you have more than 1 portal visible at once, especially in that kind of situation, because of the potential for the computer to render every portal infinitely (ALA 2 mirrors facing each other). It'd kill your computer in half a second if that room allowed each portal to render the others through it.

That was what I thought. But after a little more contemplation, I thought that a reflection depth would be easy enough to implement.

CameO73
06-25-2006, 01:18 AM
The 91.31 drivers are now out of beta, WHQL certification and all.

Personally, I've not run into any problems with portals. They work as expected.

Hmmm... maybe it's because I use a pretweaked 91.31 driver (XG ForceWare Select driver (http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=513&Itemid=1)). I'll try the WHQL and check this later...

[edit] Yep, the 91.31 WHQL driver has no 'transparant portal'-issues.

OnyxBMW
06-25-2006, 04:13 PM
That was what I thought. But after a little more contemplation, I thought that a reflection depth would be easy enough to implement.

Plausibly correct.

They could do it, and IMO they should (to keep game realism up) but it's difficult to know how much time it would take to actually make that feature. Hell, it's hard to say if it's even possible to make a feature like that.

dimausas
06-26-2006, 10:09 AM
I have a Radeon x850 and had the same problem. I'm using the latest driver 6.5. Disabling the Catalyst A.I. under the 3D section of the Catalyst Control Panel fixed it for me.

!!!Disabling the Catalyst A.I. for the ATI drivers 6.5 does fix the problem for the ATI cards!!!

I've got X1800 XT and now the Demo plays with now video glitches.

Well spoted!!!

NutWrench
06-26-2006, 04:44 PM
!!!Disabling the Catalyst A.I. for the ATI drivers 6.5 does fix the problem for the ATI cards!!!

I've got X1800 XT and now the Demo plays with now video glitches.

Well spoted!!!

Ok, I can confirm this, too. Disabling the Catalyst AI in the 6.5 drivers fixes the

black portal problem,
the rectangular blocks in portal/mirrors problem AND
the sky brightness problem in the Rites of Passage chapter.

Varsity
06-29-2006, 06:10 AM
Cats 6.6 fix this for me (black portals + sky brightness). They introduce a new problem, but it's not so bad:

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2509/shot000012eh.th.jpg (http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot000012eh.jpg)

That's the only time I noticed it. It's from the scene where the planetoid goes up a tunnel and you are walking on gang planks around it.