PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Software Creations BBS?

bradhig
05-03-2002, 06:48 PM
many apogee games have reference to it yet the web page is gone what happened to it?

jbailey
05-03-2002, 08:24 PM
They went out of business a few years ago, due to declining income and rising operating costs.
I was a member and got a letter stating that fact and a few days later they went offline...
John

Joe Siegler
05-03-2002, 11:08 PM
It was even more of a surprise to us - as we had our files there. They essentially clsoed down overnight - we had no warning that it was going to happen.

Dan sold SWC to Total Entertainment Network (TEN) about a year before they closed.

De Zeurkous
05-21-2002, 05:01 AM
If i remember correctly, that company's software was also included in DUKE3D and SW. Is this true? Are they still online?

MrEricSir
05-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by De Zeurkous:
If i remember correctly, that company's software was also included in DUKE3D and SW. Is this true? Are they still online?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You mean TEN? No, they're not. I'm guessing GameSpy and Kali, both free, took away customers from their pay service.
If I remember correctly, they turned into some other online checkers service or something stupid like that.

Who owns the rights to the SWC games (Hexxagon, God of Thunder, etc.) now?

Joe Siegler
05-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Good question - I'll try and ask Dan.

MrEricSir
05-21-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Frenkel:
The rights of God of Thunder are owned by it's author and he released it as freeware at http://www.adeptsoftware.com<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Awesome! But what about the Argo games, such as Hexxagon, Chess, etc?

05-21-2002, 11:58 PM
Yeah... who owns Hexxagon? And what about Hexxagon 2? It was promised as a reward if you registered Hexxagon... is it legally available anymore? Since Argo and Software Creations seems to be gone who owns their stuff?
As for TEN, I'm pretty sure they are now Pogo.com...

Joe Siegler
05-22-2002, 12:12 AM
Well, Argo is the folks who made Xenophage. As I recall, they did one game post Xeno, but I don't remember what it is. Hexagon was a kick ass game. I should get it out and play it again - if I can with sound; it's an old DOS game.

Frenkel
05-22-2002, 12:53 AM
The rights of God of Thunder are owned by it's author and he released it as freeware at http://www.adeptsoftware.com

MrEricSir
05-22-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by A Black Falcon:
As for TEN, I'm pretty sure they are now Pogo.com...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pogo.com was recently aquired by EA.

Zach
05-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Well, one of the two developers of Hexxagon, Jason Blochowiak, worked on a good number of Apogee games. (Or Apogee published games) Perhaps Joe can contact him and he may have more information on the status of the game.
In case you wondered, he is listed in the Apogee faq (section 4.3.4) for sound engine programming on:
Duke Nukem 2
Blake Stone
Bio Menace
Commander Keen (Galaxy and Aliens)
Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny

Can anyone at 3DR help us out?

MrEricSir
05-22-2002, 02:43 PM
MobyGames (http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,679/) has a section on him. Can't find much else.