PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Acceleration + Sensitivity tweaks

Mr_Blastman
12-21-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure if DNF has transitioned from UT 2 to UT 3's engine - from what I can tell it is a heavily modified version of the UT 2 engine which is quite fine! We all know Duke is about gameplay anyways...

Now on to my request:

I request that DNF have the ability to:

1. Adjust mouse sensitivity in the control panel (this is a standard feature)
2. Adjust mouse ACCELERATION in the control panel - both threshold of when it kicks in AND the multiplier for how much acceleration is added.

I realize this is a unique request probably, but bear with me. Unreal Tournament 3 lacks this very feature - and to its detriment tremendously. Team Fortress 2, which came out a few months back - has acceleration that is adjustable, albeit through console commands - this is something!

I hereby humbily request that DNF have both sensitivity and acceleration tweaks. I'm unable to play one shooter that has it and then switch to another that does not. It throws my aim way off. Acceleration is the ultimate compromise between being able to aim precisely with slow, fine movements, and then be able to instantly turn around or in any direction without having to move your mouse across the whole table because you have to run ultra low sensitivity to get this fine aiming ability.

Please consider adding this.

Thanks.

HazMat
12-21-2007, 11:14 PM
It is unreal tech. Not engine 1 or 2 or 3, just unreal tech. yes they started with unreal 2 engine but as you know they juiced it up alot so just say unreal tech.

just buy a razer mouse:D

Reaper
12-22-2007, 12:30 AM
I think UT and UT 2k3/4 had this. So I think that UT 3 prolly has it, just hidden away somewhere. Possibly as a console command?

peoplessi
12-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Why would anyone wan't to play with mouseacceleration? If such thing is added, I would like there to be a option to turn it off totaly.

Danule
12-23-2007, 12:25 PM
i agree. mouse acceleration makes accuracy go out the window. weird request for a FPS...

dlink
12-23-2007, 07:58 PM
It loks pretty perfect to me, the right engine, it's gonna be hella interactiveness playing it.! cant wait i love 3drealms!

Mr_Blastman
12-23-2007, 08:48 PM
You might say weird request - as you are not the first that I have heard this from.

In fact, I have heard MANY people state they would want it off. But lets look at the facts of how it can help, and in fact, is SUPERIOR in every way to not using acceleration:

With acceleration ON and turned up a bit, you can set sensitivity real LOW. Now, why, on earth, would you want to do this?

Sensitivity Low
Acceleration Medium - High

Simple - low sensitivity allows what? Precise aiming with fine tuning around an area - think, railgun shots in Quake - you need to move slowly and finely sometimes so you can stay right on target. Think lightning gun. Think sniper rifle. These are times where you want the aiming to be easily controllable. The downside?

Low sensitivity = VERY hard time to turn around quickly - make 90 and 180 degree turns. So it is a tradeoff.

This is where Acceleration comes in. Acceleration lets you move your mouse slowly as normal and get very precise aim with low sensitivity set. BUT, when you move your mouse quickly... dun dun dun - all of a sudden the mouse movement rate speeds up dramatically allowing you to make snap shots and turns.

Try this example:

Low sensitivity by itself - move mouse from one side of mousepad to next while moving mouse slowly, yields 360 degree turn for example. move mouse quickly from one side to next, once again only yields a 360 turn.

Low sensitivity + acceleration - move mouse from one side of mousepad to next while moving mouse slowly, yields 1 360 degree turn. Move mouse QUICKLY from one side to next, might yield 3 or 4 turns!

This gives you a tremendous advantage!!! no longer do you have to fiddle with changing sensitivities on the fly depending on the weapon. You get the fine aiming and the quick movement all at once.

Now, those that argue this is preposterous and will make it impossible to aim... Try it for a bit.

I have been playing FPS games since Wolf 3d for years. Darned near every duke/doom/quake style fps. I used linear sensitivity for years.

I then started playing Team Fortress 2 - and to be honest, there is no going back. I have my sensitivity still set higher than norm in it - 9, but I have acceleration set at 4x and the difference is amazing. While moving slowly it might take 8 inches to do a 360. When moving quickly, I can do a 360 in 1 inch of movement. With practice, it becomes more than second nature.

The advantages are quickly realized as you can do everything with one setting.

Don't believe me? AM-Chico_Rodriguez[KiN] is my profile. I've got pretty miserable stats on steam right? Pretty bad? (being sarcastic here).

I'm positive anyone who masters this will take their game up a notch or three. I no longer get buttery hands or buttery fingers when in the middle of an intense 1on1 engagement. If I didn't have years of fps experience, you might be able to dismiss me as a sham. I'm just trying to spread the word of an eccentric but under-realized control scheme.

Cromlech
12-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I have my sensitivity up to 15 for Source Engine games like HL2DM and TF2. I need too though, as I play with a rollerball (trackball) mouse hehe.

peoplessi
12-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Anyone who uses mouseacceleration won't master any game's MP, especially if they wan't to be good in it.

Echo Black
12-24-2007, 10:54 AM
The CPL Mouse-Fix removing mouse accel entirely is a pretty good indication pro players prefer to play with it off. Though a few QuakeWorld players made the move to Quake 3 with an accel setting (easily recognizable on QuakeCon 2002 videos), pretty much no top player uses it these days. Take Quake 4, for one: You can't legally set multiple sensitivities/FOVs to different weapons in a Q4MAX duel, so with high-precision mice, players settled for a single, universal sensitivity. It's not difficult to see why, and you'd have to be a pretty big ******* to say you're better at DM than say, toxjc, Fojji or cooller.

dungeon
12-25-2007, 08:48 PM
the only good pro who uses Mouse Acceleration is Johnathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel

peoplessi
12-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Source?

ShadeEX
12-26-2007, 07:50 AM
I can get the exact same effect with my Logitech MX518 mouse by the press of a butten..

So I personally wouldn't use this feature either, but if Mr_Blastman want's to use it I can see no harm in that..

EDIT: I don't think acceleration is supperior though..