PDA

View Full Version : "ID" Software or "ID" Software?

MusicallyInspired
02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
How do you pronounce it? I always called it "I" "D" Software. As in just saying both letters. But then I heard people calling it "Id" Software. Pronouncing it as the word "Idd".

So, which is it? And who else has been saying it the right/wrong way all this time?

02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
It's on their website - "id", not "eye D".

NutWrench
02-08-2008, 06:13 PM
From Wikipedia:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Software)
Note the lowercase id, the correct pronunciation of which is a much-argued subject.[citation needed] The current official pronunciation is id as in "did" or "kid", which is in coincidental reference to the id as a psychological concept developed by Sigmund Freud. Evidence of this can be found as early as Wolfenstein 3D with the statement "that's Id, as in the id, ego, and superego in the psyche" appearing in the game's documentation. Even today, id's History page makes a direct reference to Freud.

Originally however, the company name has deeper roots than simple psychological reference. When working at Softdisk, the team that later founded id Software took the name "Ideas from the Deep" (a company created by John Romero and Lane Roathe in 1989), attributing themselves as "IFD guys". Since the term "id" can be seen as a shortening of IFD to "ID", some argue that it can still be pronounced "eye-dee". The I was later made lowercase in the release of the second Commander Keen series, eventually followed by the D. Since Wolfenstein 3D used the "id" pronunciation together with the mixed-case "iD", many argue that the capitalization is purely a stylistic choice.

MusicallyInspired
02-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Well I'll be...

Telee
02-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I've called it ID for so many years that I'll always call it that. "id" just sounds weird to me.

ZuljinRaynor
02-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I used to call it EYE DEE until I found out it was id.

steauengeglase
02-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally the name was "Ideas from the Deep or.. iD". At least I recall seeing that on a shareware title. One of the Keen games if I remember. I could be wrong on this one.

I noticed that for a long time it was vogue for players who were around from the bbs days to refer to it as eye-dee and the guys who were post-bbs called it Id, like did. This is only amongst the fans I have know so it really may not mean anything. Today both the old and new players call it Id and eye-dee is only heard once in a blue moon.

:EDIT:
In retrospect I kinda like eye-dee. It confuses people.

Blade Nightflame
02-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I still call it eye-dee mostly.. id is just.. Eh, not that comfortable. However, I still have a knack for spelling it iD. :p

Echo Black
02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I've always called it "eed".

HazMat
02-08-2008, 07:38 PM
you know they are just in the next town to 3DR. 20 mins away. I think they party together. Anyways 3DR and id ROCK! If I am ever in Dallas i am going to have to make the trip out to garland and Mesquite to stalk/visit them.

Dopefish7590
02-08-2008, 07:42 PM
ID (Ih-dh)

Kennerado
02-08-2008, 08:17 PM
For years I mis-pronounced it as EYE DEE, I was so annoyed when I realised I said it wrong.

Inanimate Carbon Rod
02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
you know they are just in the next town to 3DR. 20 mins away. I think they party together. Anyways 3DR and id ROCK! If I am ever in Dallas i am going to have to make the trip out to garland and Mesquite to stalk/visit them.

They don't like that.

But anyway, I pronounce it eye dee... id just seems silly.

thefly
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
If I am ever in Dallas i am going to have to make the trip out to garland and Mesquite to stalk/visit them.

I hear they have snipers.

The Cool One
02-08-2008, 08:29 PM
I got the Doom Collectors edition which had like development videos and interviews about Doom 3, and like, they say it as idd, so it must be idd

SyntaxN
02-08-2008, 08:36 PM
I used to call them "eye dee" software but i changed that to "id" a couple of years ago. A friend of mine still calls them "eye dee"...drives me nuts everytime he does it.

HazMat
02-08-2008, 08:40 PM
I hear they have snipers.

yeah but they only shoot you if your trying to take apart the CIA. So I should be pretty safe.:p

Joe Siegler
02-08-2008, 09:16 PM
How do you pronounce it? I always called it "I" "D" Software.

It is not eye-dee. It is "id". One word. Two letters.

Duke's New Chainsaw
02-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I've also always pronounced it eye-dee. It's hard to start pronouncing it id after over ten years. Since just a year or two ago I found out the correct pronunciation.

Phait
02-08-2008, 10:56 PM
I still say "Doos Ex" instead of "Dayus Ex" for Deus Ex and I don't care :tinyted: Also Vista is "Veesta" :p

Damien_Azreal
02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
id

Always id. I've always said it that way... but it's interesting how many people do say it Eye-Dee. :)

Similar to listening to people say Apogee. ;)

Destroyer
02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
It's on their website - "id", not "eye D".

I always though it was ID(eye D) :(

Danule
02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
its been id for so long

look at this old school video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DR9w2_fKLwY

Reaper
02-09-2008, 03:56 AM
I still pronounce it "eye-dee" in my head whenever I read it, but I know better.

HazMat
02-09-2008, 04:10 AM
I watched the bonus disc that came with Quake 4 and in that they said it id which learned me the right way, savy mate?

Altered Reality
02-09-2008, 04:23 AM
I always pronounced it "id", and I got the confirmation I was pronouncing it right when I called them in 1996 to order Quake. The recorded message started with "Thank you for calling id Software..."

Llama Gibbz
02-09-2008, 06:45 AM
I say gib you say jib.

Either way,you cant deny the fact they are tasty with or without hot sauce. http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ut2/Instagib.gif

XPM
02-09-2008, 06:57 AM
I don't care 'bout you lot.

I say eye-d

:P

Llama Gibbz
02-09-2008, 07:01 AM
id and gib kind of go hand in hand.

Sang
02-09-2008, 08:10 AM
"Dayus Ex"

Actually it'd be pronounced Dayoos Ex :p

Komb.at
02-09-2008, 08:39 AM
it makes more sense to call it "eye dee" when the origin is "Ideas from the Deep".

So i'll rather spell it wrong :P

Scream
02-09-2008, 08:40 AM
They've always been eye-dee to me, and shall remain that way. Fortunately, I have little interest in most of what they produce, so it's rare I refer to them.

8IronBob
02-09-2008, 09:12 AM
I always thought it was eye dee myself until watching an episode of Doom on G4's "Game Makers" where they pronounced it "idd." I never knew what to make of that two letter name... Glad they clarified that after all these years I've been playing their games.

Simon Charles
02-09-2008, 09:34 AM

I used to call it "Idea" Software too but since english is my second language, I guess I stuck with the visual interpretation I had when I first played Wolf 3D in junior high instead of the real thing.

I still say "Doos Ex" instead of "Dayus Ex" for Deus Ex and I don't care

Opposite for me. Always pronounced it "dayoos" as in latin for god. Only found out until later that people sometimes pronounce it "deuce".

8IronBob
02-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I always did that too... Just trying to find other games or game companies that I goofed up on... Oh, one of id's franchises. I always used to pronounce Wolfenstein (Wolfen-steen), however, since my mother's side of the family comes from Dusseldorf, it's actually pronounced (Vulfen-shtine). And don't worry, the game don't offend me... Not gonna let half-heritage hurt my feelings.

MusicallyInspired
02-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I always that it was ID as in Identification. When I heard "id" it made sense because I knew the definition, but ID sounds so much cooler. Oh well.

What about Apogee? For the longest time I pronounced it with the emphasis on the "po" and in doing so pronounced it with either an "ah" sound or an "o" sound. Then someone told me the emphasis is on the "A". Which does roll of the tongue more smoothly.

Pontiaction
02-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I was one of the "eye dee" guys until I read the Wolf3D docs and saw the reference to Freudian theory, then I had to start pronouncing it the proper way. Although I liked saying "eye dee" better. ;)

As far as Apogee, I've always pronounced it with the emphasis on the A (with the same sound as "Apple"). In astonomical terms it means the point at which a satellite is the greatest distance from the body it orbits. I always took Apogee's use of the name it to represent "the highest point of gaming."

Back in high school some fifteen years ago, a few friends and I created "Perigee Software" as a parody of Apogee, wrote a send-up of the whole software catalog, fake box art and what-have-you. Man, we really had nothing to do back then...

crunchy superman
02-09-2008, 11:10 AM
I've always pronounced it "id".

To call them "eye-dee" never occurred to me.

SpamViking
02-09-2008, 01:26 PM
I always pronounced it "chocolate"...I was way off.

Scream
02-09-2008, 01:33 PM

That made me smile, and almost laugh. 6.5 out of 10...

Micki!
02-09-2008, 02:07 PM

I did the same thing untill i found out...

Threeder Realms

When i talk to danish friends i pronounce the "3" in danish, but "realms" in english :hhg:

Fjallraven
02-09-2008, 02:32 PM
When i talk to danish friends i pronounce the "3" in danish, but "realms" in english :hhg:

I say it in the english edition.

I alway thought it was "Eye dee". I guess I was wrong.

Steve
02-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I've always said "Eye dee" (still do) Found out a few years back it was actually "iD" :o

That made me laugh :D

dlink
02-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I've always pronounced it as "Eye dee" and not "ID" :( guess i'm gonna have to change

MusicallyInspired
02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
It's really weird, isn't it? Like you think you know a person all this time and then they throw something just off the wall at you that you never thought they could do. I always thought i knew a lot about older computer games. Never even occurred to me that I might be pronouncing something wrong of all things!

By the way, this is how I found out how it's actually pronounced (watch at around the 13:22 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM6bw

Wamplet
02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
id as in Lucid. :o

Danule
02-10-2008, 12:34 AM
It's really weird, isn't it? Like you think you know a person all this time and then they throw something just off the wall at you that you never thought they could do. I always thought i knew a lot about older computer games. Never even occurred to me that I might be pronouncing something wrong of all things!

By the way, this is how I found out how it's actually pronounced (watch at around the 13:22 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM6bw
my video link was way cooler.

Duke's New Chainsaw
02-10-2008, 01:48 AM
For Deus Ex I actually read the pronunciation on the CD case. :p

Dopefish7590
02-10-2008, 02:20 AM
You know they are just in the next town to 3DR. 20 mins away. I think they party together. Anyways 3DR and id ROCK! If I am ever in Dallas i am going to have to make the trip out to garland and Mesquite to stalk/visit them.They don't like that.

Didn't you do that? :D
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3213

aces-high
02-10-2008, 05:33 AM
EYE-D FTW :woot:

Dave-ros
02-10-2008, 05:48 AM
More important question: since "id" is in lower-case letters, is the full name "id software" or "id Software"? It's so confusing... bah, damn these companies that write their entire names in lower-case :tinyted:

Wamplet
02-10-2008, 10:04 AM
More important question: since "id" is in lower-case letters, is the full name "id software" or "id Software"? It's so confusing... bah, damn these companies that write their entire names in lower-case :tinyted:

id Software is correct.

Although, i pronounce id as ID. \o

Phayzon
02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Doesnt matter if it's correct or not, I always have and always will call them Eye Dee

Inanimate Carbon Rod
02-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Didn't you do that? :D
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=321

Wrong link, but yes I did. They don't want me back. lol

ZuljinRaynor
02-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Doesnt matter if it's correct or not, I always have and always will call them Eye Dee

That's why I say .gif as GIF and not JIF.

Dopefish7590
02-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Wrong link, but yes I did. They don't want me back. lol

Argh I deleted the last digit of the link...

THIS is what it was supposet to be:

02-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Tip, you my friend are the luckiest guy I have heard of. I would rather have been you today than have Britney Spears, Carmen Electra and that hot blonde girl from lizzie mcguire show up at my door nekkid and ask if they could use my bathtub(with me).

Oh how times of changed eh? Now ANYONE would do ANYTHING not to have her show up naked at your door. ;)

ryche
02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone with pronoucing it as eye dee. I've done it for years and sometimes it still sleeps while reading or talkin to friends about them. I didn't know it was "id" until I watched a video of John Carmack doing a talk and it said "John Carmack from id sofware" I was like OOooohhh. :doh: :)

ZuljinRaynor
02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I think that happened to a lot of people. Myself included. ;)

Dr. Kill
02-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I pronounced it "I. D." until I heard people from Id pronounce it. Before that, I had no clue how to say it, not that it really matters.

Malgon
02-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Eye-Dee is the way I've always said it, even though I know better that it's pronounced id. I learned from the D3 video shown at the Mac expo, like many others probably did. Ah well. :)

Llama Gibbz
02-19-2008, 03:58 AM
freeeeeeeee deeeeeeeeeee ralmzzzzzzzz

Drazula
02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
???? I never even conceived of calling them eye-dee until I read this topic.

ShadeEX
02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I honestly can't remember if I've ever pronounced it "Eye-Dee" ATM..

Maybe I have, but I've been pronuncing it like "id" for quite some time now..

The Stinger
02-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I.D. l.o.l.