PDA

View Full Version : Attached Movers

widowmaker
05-12-2002, 10:44 PM
I was watching Deep Blue Sea tonight and thought it would be neat to have a complex with air locks in it. The player pushes a button and the room fills with water.

My attempts so far have been to use a mover as a portal but UT ignors the moves as a portal and the entire room is always filled with water.

Plan #2 was to attach a sheet to the mover. Which brings me to my question. How do I get that sheet to move with the mover?

I tried giving them both the same tag, and later the same attach tag but niether seemed to get the job done.

Any ideas?

[ 05-12-2002, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: widowmaker ]

NutWrench
05-12-2002, 11:44 PM
Zones in Unreal/UT can't change shape once the map is compiled. There are a few workarounds for this, though:

1) There's a script online that will let you toggle a Zone between two different states. (I think it's called ToggleWaterZone). The mapper stacks several thin zones on top of each other and changes each zone from 'dry' to 'wet' (I can't remember whether the script does this automatically or if he has to use a dispatcher to toggle them in sequence). A sheet brush mover simulates the rising water.

2) I've experimented with creating a lift mover that submerges into a water zone and it works. If you prevent the player from seeing anything outside the airlock while it's filling with water, it will seem to him that the water is rising within the room, rather than the entire room sinking.

[ 05-12-2002, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: NutWrench ]

widowmaker
05-12-2002, 11:58 PM
Thanks I figured it would be something like that.

I thought about the lowering the room into the water but for what I had planned that would not have worked.

I hope 3DRealms have changed this in DNF so that we can move zone portals after compiling a map.

yossa
05-14-2002, 12:26 AM
I'm hoping so too. BTW Did you know that Undying has a DynamicZone actor?