View Full Version : Can I make this addition to a Skaarj?

Devil Master
09-24-2002, 04:23 AM
I recently got the old PSX game "Area 51". In this game, the aliens have a light source on their foreheads which projects a light beam to wherever they are looking at.
I know that Area 51 is pre-rendered CG and 2D sprites, but I was wondering if this effect could be obtained in real-time in Unreal, maybe with a small corona effect attached to the forehead of the Skaarj, for increased effect.

09-24-2002, 05:19 PM
I can get the Skaarj to emit light. I can even get him to emit a spotlight, but the light always points in the same direction no matter which way the Skaarj is facing.

I remember the original Unreal had a little-used gametype called Darkmatch. The enemy bots carried flashlights (or at least the light always pointed straight ahead of them) so there must be a script somewhere that lets them do that.

09-24-2002, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure about Unreal, but in the new builds of the Unreal Engine, you can attach ANY emitter to a model.

09-27-2002, 12:33 PM
There Unreal Tournament Darkmatch Mod have a look at the code maybe?

The ModSquad (http://www.planetunreal.com/modsquad/) try finding it @ modsquad

09-27-2002, 02:51 PM
I found the Darkmatch script in Unreal Gold.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">//================================================== ===========================
// DarkMatch.
//================================================== ===========================
class DarkMatch extends DeathMatchGame;

function AddDefaultInventory(pawn aPlayer)
local SearchLight s;

//spawn a searchlight
if ( aPlayer.IsA('Spectator')
|| aPlayer.FindInventoryType(class'SearchLight') != None )
s = Spawn(class'SearchLight',,, Location);
if (s != None)
s.bHeldItem = true;
s.GiveTo( aPlayer );
aPlayer.SelectedItem = s;
}[/code]</blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's all there is to it. All it does is add a searchlight to the inventory of each bot and switch it on.

Problem is, the Skaarj Warriors don't have an inventory section and the Skaarj Troopers can only carry weapons.

10-01-2002, 05:16 AM
Add the inventory section to them then...I'm sure u can do it

Devil Master
10-01-2002, 08:36 AM