PDA

View Full Version : Can I make this addition to a Skaarj?

Devil Master
09-24-2002, 05:23 AM
I recently got the old PSX game "Area 51". In this game, the aliens have a light source on their foreheads which projects a light beam to wherever they are looking at.
I know that Area 51 is pre-rendered CG and 2D sprites, but I was wondering if this effect could be obtained in real-time in Unreal, maybe with a small corona effect attached to the forehead of the Skaarj, for increased effect.

NutWrench
09-24-2002, 06:19 PM
I can get the Skaarj to emit light. I can even get him to emit a spotlight, but the light always points in the same direction no matter which way the Skaarj is facing.

I remember the original Unreal had a little-used gametype called Darkmatch. The enemy bots carried flashlights (or at least the light always pointed straight ahead of them) so there must be a script somewhere that lets them do that.

Bean
09-24-2002, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure about Unreal, but in the new builds of the Unreal Engine, you can attach ANY emitter to a model.

Zer0
09-27-2002, 01:33 PM
There Unreal Tournament Darkmatch Mod have a look at the code maybe?

The ModSquad (http://www.planetunreal.com/modsquad/) try finding it @ modsquad

NutWrench
09-27-2002, 03:51 PM
I found the Darkmatch script in Unreal Gold.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">//================================================== ===========================
// DarkMatch.
//================================================== ===========================
class DarkMatch extends DeathMatchGame;

function AddDefaultInventory(pawn aPlayer)
{
local SearchLight s;

Super.AddDefaultInventory(aPlayer);

//spawn a searchlight
if ( aPlayer.IsA('Spectator')
|| aPlayer.FindInventoryType(class'SearchLight') != None )
return;
s = Spawn(class'SearchLight',,, Location);
if (s != None)
{
s.bHeldItem = true;
s.GiveTo( aPlayer );
s.Activate();
aPlayer.SelectedItem = s;
}
}[/code]</blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's all there is to it. All it does is add a searchlight to the inventory of each bot and switch it on.

Problem is, the Skaarj Warriors don't have an inventory section and the Skaarj Troopers can only carry weapons.

Zer0
10-01-2002, 06:16 AM
Add the inventory section to them then...I'm sure u can do it

Devil Master
10-01-2002, 09:36 AM
How?