PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest scenes out of Hollywood

Pages : [1] 2

Ironside
04-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I would have to start this thread off with the scene in XxX2 when Ice Cube escapes from prison by jumping off the building onto the helicopter that magically appears just in time for him to catch.

What's the stupidest scene out of Hollywood for you?

NutWrench
04-04-2009, 01:52 PM
"I am Legend" re: the death of Neville's wife. In the book, Neville's wife succumbs to the plague and dies. Rather than comply with a government order to take all recently dead to a mass bonfire pit for disposal, he instead buries his wife in a private ceremony in a secret location. She reanimates and returns home a short time later and Neville presumably has to kill her.

Rather than use this excellent and dramatic source material, the studio instead chose to kill off Neville's wife and daughter in a bizarre and incredibly contrived helicopter accident.

Phait
04-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Hitman sword fight scene.

Commando Nukem
04-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Any scene from any UWE BOLL movie, ever.

ZuljinRaynor
04-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Yes. Totally agree.

Nimoy
04-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Any scene from any UWE BOLL movie, ever.

Thats not Hollywood.

Dan the Man
04-04-2009, 03:57 PM
The end of Waterworld:

Our heroes are in an airship making their escape from the bad guys' wrecked oil tanker when the big bad boss guy (played by Dennis Hopper), sitting astride a jetski, expertly shoots at the airship and knocks it enough for the prodigal girl to fall out and into the ocean, whereupon he and two goons, also on jetskis, each start racing toward her from different directions. Our hero (played by Kevin Costner) grabs a rope, ties it around his ankle and jumps out of the airship, leaving his love interest little time to tie the other end of the rope onto something. This obviously all happens so fast that the airship hasn't had time to travel anywhere, and of course the rope is of just the right length and elasticity, since our hero manages to bungee jump down onto the girl, pluck her out of the water and bounce out of harm's way just as the three baddies converge full-speed into the same spot and die in a huge fireball.

ryche
04-04-2009, 03:57 PM
X-Men has a few of'em like mainly all of Storm's dialog just ruins the scene.

Waterworld: Bungie jumping was the new thing in that time :) And yeah it was a stupid scene.

Damien_Azreal
04-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Hell.... the scene in Waterworld where he runs his urine through.... something and then drinks it.
That whole damn movie was messed up.

jimbob
04-04-2009, 04:53 PM
fridge of doom.

yes it was lead lined, i know.

Dan the Man
04-04-2009, 05:33 PM
What about Independence Day - just wrong on so many levels, but a special mention has to go to the plan the humans hatch of putting two inexperienced people into a repaired alien spaceship and have them fly out of the Earth's atmosphere and into the alien mothership undetected whereupon they will connect themselves up to the computer network that's running up there and upload a virus that's somehow compatible with alien software and which will instantly spread to the ships that are hovering over the most picturesque landmarks around the world, thereby disabling their shields and rendering them susceptible to damage from attack.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Aaarghhh, how could I have forgotten the monstrosity that is Armageddon! Stupidest scene? Do I have to pick just one? How about everything that happens on the way to and on the surface of the asteroid.

(I still can't believe people haven't watched Deep Impact because of this mess of a film).

Amakou
04-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Yeah, the movie entertained me, but any time I watch it, that scene makes me think, "wtf?"

~Amakou~

Commando Nukem
04-04-2009, 07:08 PM
What about Independence Day - just wrong on so many levels, but a special mention has to go to the plan the humans hatch of putting two inexperienced people into a repaired alien spaceship and have them fly out of the Earth's atmosphere and into the alien mothership undetected whereupon they will connect themselves up to the computer network that's running up there and upload a virus that's somehow compatible with alien software and which will instantly spread to the ships that are hovering over the most picturesque landmarks around the world, thereby disabling their shields and rendering them susceptible to damage from attack.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Aaarghhh, how could I have forgotten the monstrosity that is Armageddon! Stupidest scene? Do I have to pick just one? How about everything that happens on the way to and on the surface of the asteroid.

(I still can't believe people haven't watched Deep Impact because of this mess of a film).

I think Armageddon and Independence Day are fun movies. If you take them seriously, this is the kind of reaction you're gonna have. They're big budget summer time movies.

Grande 3:16
04-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Hell.... the scene in Waterworld where he runs his urine through.... something and then drinks it.
That whole damn movie was messed up.Apparently it's easier to make urine drinkable than OCEAN WATER! :doh:

fridge of doom.

yes it was lead lined, i know.
I don't get the hate on this scene. I suppose they should have done something logical like, oh I dunno, use an inflatable raft to parachute out of an airborne plane, then land and slide down the side of a mountain, go over a cliff, land in some rapids and then float to safety. :rolleyes:

Aaarghhh, how could I have forgotten the monstrosity that is Armageddon! Stupidest scene? Do I have to pick just one? How about everything that happens on the way to and on the surface of the asteroid.Or how news broadcasts are showing destruction of entire cities and people at home are watching on quietly and stonefaced (and hold hands) instead of jumping out of their seats screaming "HOLY F****ING S**T!!!! DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!?"

Ironside
04-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Actually you can drink your own urine in emergency situations. Like if your dehydrated in the desert or something.

04-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I know. But when the entire world is covered in the stuff, why would you bother?

Unless it's just because it's sterile and he likes the taste. :D

Jiminator
04-04-2009, 08:14 PM
you can't drink saltwater, it take more water from your body to excrete the salt, so net result is sickness then death from dehydration.

anyway, another big time stupid scene in the same movie was where they dropped a match in one of the valdez tanks and the ship blew up. its a nice theory but the reality is that gas doesn't burn, it is the fumes that burn, and the fire would be quickly snuffed out once the oxygen was depleted.

OH:::: and worst all time ending has to be CRANK: the dude falls down 5 minutes from a helicopter. He has time to make a cell phone call and everything. Helicopters cannot get that high. And wait - it gets WORSE - if you can imagine. CRANK 2 is coming out where he survives his fall - and someone steals his heart and inserts a mechanical heart into him - one that he has to keep jumpstarting while he looks for his real heart... Ok, true they are trying to make it so stupid that it is funny, but still...

Nimoy
04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Actually you can drink your own urine in emergency situations. Like if your dehydrated in the desert or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urophagia#Salt_content_and_dehydration

Urine should not be drunk when one is dehydrated. The kidneys, which filter the urine, concentrate salts into the urine. Drinking the urine will only make one reingest the salts that have already been excreted by the kidneys. For the first fifteen minutes after ingestion of any fluid, the thirst seems to be quenched, but in the case of urine and other salty liquid, after the body has absorbed the fluid, the thirst returns, stronger, due to the salt.

Ironside
04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
If you were dehydrating out in the desert and ate the fleshly insides of a barrel cactus to hydrate yourself then later you could use your urine to hydrate to keep going for a few more hours. This is in the SAS survival handbook dude. :) Of coarse if you drank a few doses of piss (and no other fluids) over a lengthly time frame you would begin to quickly dehydrate and die. this is only to hydrate for 3 more hours.

Mountain Man
04-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Of course if you're dehydrated then you're not going to have any urine to expel.

Steve
04-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty certain that survival guy (****** if I know his name :o ) on the discovery channel at one point drunk his own pee :o

Of course if you're dehydrated then you're not going to have any urine to expel.
Depends on just how dehydrated you are. Enough about pee now :D :eek:

Stupidest scene for me is from the movie, mortal kombat annihilation. Liu Kang vs Shao Khan - WTF is up with the special effects in that scene? Just horrible. ******* clay monsters. WTF?! :eek:

Ironside
04-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Another one with Ice Cube..Ghost of Mars. Ice Cube shows up out of nowhere at the very end and tosses the chicky babe co-star a smg and they walk off to kick ass together.

Nimoy
04-04-2009, 10:16 PM
If you were dehydrating out in the desert and ate the fleshly insides of a barrel cactus to hydrate yourself then later you could use your urine to hydrate to keep going for a few more hours. This is in the SAS survival handbook dude. :) Of coarse if you drank a few doses of piss (and no other fluids) over a lengthly time frame you would begin to quickly dehydrate and die. this is only to hydrate for 3 more hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urophagia

Drinking urine for survival is advised against by numerous survival instructors and guides,[4][5][6][7][8][9] including the US Army Field Manual.[10] These guides explain that drinking urine tends to worsen, rather than relieve dehydration due to the salts in it, and that urine should not be consumed in a survival situation, even when there is no other fluid available.

Bear Grylls of the Discovery Channel's Man vs. Wild drank his own urine while he was in the Outback of Australia.[12] Relatedly, Les Stroud on Survivorman advised against drinking urine, instead producing fresh water from urine using a solar still. [13]

Proof that Les Stroud is more awesome.

Ironside
04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
OK Nimoy you win, :)
/drinks from mysterious tin marked "Piss"

Marcos_Edson
04-04-2009, 10:57 PM
you can't drink saltwater, it take more water from your body to excrete the salt, so net result is sickness then death from dehydration.

True but in the movie the hero had a device that could turn urine into potable water in a few seconds... I´m no expert but I tend to think that if it can do that, saltwater should be as easier... :cool:

Now, an scene I can´t swallow in "Deep Impact": when the tsunami hits a city (Washington, I think...) it shows people gathered in a park as if nothing was happening, the one person that makes me go :doh: being an old man on a bench reading a newspaper... :insomnia: :p

razgriz
04-04-2009, 11:29 PM
The F-35 vs. 18 wheeler in Live Free or Die Hard.

As if the movie wasn't dumb enough, we endure another pointless set piece.

Telee
04-04-2009, 11:43 PM

Quoted two times for emphasis.

Ramen4ever
04-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Hitman sword fight scene.Hitman sword fight scene.Quoted two times for emphasis.
Quoting the double quote for more emphasis. The fight was actually weirder than seeing a black hitman.

ryche
04-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Jar jar binks. Nuff said.

Burfid
04-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Proof that Les Stroud is more awesome.

I lost all respect for that guy the first episode i saw him in. He was in an actic tundra and at the beginning of the show he said that he would do the entire ordeal pretending he had a broken arm (had it wrapped in a sling) that after the first day or so decided it was to hard and took it off. :doh:

It's funny, a lot of sites i'm finding say it is ok to drink your urine if needed.

I think what it is saying is that you can drink your urine to keep from GETTING dehydrated. So if you had water but ran out and started to get thirsty you could drink it for a couple of passes. But once dehydration sets in then it is a bad thing to do. I think this would be a great episode for mythbusters :mryuck:

04-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Face/Off. Two spring to mind.

1. Archer's family moving their hands down each other's faces. Supposed to be a sign of affection, but it's just creepy.

2. After the church shootout, Castor Troy gets away and blows away scores of cops and innocent bystanders... but doesn't shoot the daughter for stabbing him! :doh: He had the gun to her head, shooting her would be a reflex even if he didn't mean to do it (but knifing an armed terrorist is normally a first prize way of getting your own dumbass shot)

Nessus
04-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Burfid that's not as bad as when Bear Grylls was in the arctic. He had to cross some water so he jumped in and waded across. Now his whole outfit is soaking wet in the arctic cold, he would have been dead in short order after that. I'll bet he was in a trailer within 10 minutes.

As for Hollywood I'm annoyed by every modern car chase except for Ronin. You can see a car is about to spin out around a corner and they just edit it out. Or try and make 40mph look like 90.

04-05-2009, 09:02 AM
As for Hollywood I'm annoyed by every modern car chase except for Ronin. You can see a car is about to spin out around a corner and they just edit it out. Or try and make 40mph look like 90.Except in Ronin they were redlining in first gear to make them sound faster. ;)

Nimoy
04-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Burfid that's not as bad as when Bear Grylls was in the arctic. He had to cross some water so he jumped in and waded across. Now his whole outfit is soaking wet in the arctic cold, he would have been dead in short order after that. I'll bet he was in a trailer within 10 minutes.

As for Hollywood I'm annoyed by every modern car chase except for Ronin. You can see a car is about to spin out around a corner and they just edit it out. Or try and make 40mph look like 90.

Yeah, Bear Grylls is a total fake. Les Stroud at least TRIES. I seriously wonder how people can say "Bear Grylls is out there own his own in the desert", yeah well who the hell is filming him with filmmaker precision?

John
04-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't watch the "Man vs. Wild/Survivorman" shows much but I noticed the difference between the two is that one has a hand held camera he carries around, and another happens to have industry-standard filming everytime he tries to eat a fish.

Nexus_sa
04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I can't believe that no-one has mentioned knocking the bomb off of the underside of the car in transporter 2........by ramping (and barrel rolling) it past a crane and using the crane attachment to knock it off.

I still slam my hand in a door, once a day, as punishment for watching that steaming pile of crap.

Jiminator
04-05-2009, 03:18 PM
big difference to have a camera crew right there as compared to lugging all your stuff around, making climbs 3-4 times to show different angles and then to retrieve your stuff. so I can easily imagine that all became too much while having his arm in a sling.

Ramen4ever
04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I lost all respect for that guy the first episode i saw him in. He was in an actic tundra and at the beginning of the show he said that he would do the entire ordeal pretending he had a broken arm (had it wrapped in a sling) that after the first day or so decided it was to hard and took it off. :doh:

I'll take Les over sell out Bear any day. Les might not be exciting all the time and sometimes he does try a little too hard by doing things like... putting his arm in a sling. But at least his methods generally work. And yes, as it was pointed out, he's alone. Which would make things a lot more difficult. And when things are difficult and your trying to chop a hole in the ice.. you quickly forget what would look cool on film and instead concentrate on what needs to be done. Les' stupidest moment was probably in Puerto Rico. Instead of following the shore line he wondered into the middle of a jungle. I'll take that over jumping into freezing water without a fire plan of any kind.. People watch Bear because he's entertaining. Because you know. When you want to learn about survival, it needs to be entertaining as opposed to knowledgeable or usable.

ryche
04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I can't believe that no-one has mentioned knocking the bomb off of the underside of the car in transporter 2........by ramping (and barrel rolling) it past a crane and using the crane attachment to knock it off.

I still slam my hand in a door, once a day, as punishment for watching that steaming pile of crap.

I concur with this one. That really took the cake on that movie.

Hudson
04-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Crank 2 : WHO STOLE MY HEART?!?

Thread complete.

Mountain Man
04-05-2009, 07:08 PM

Something tells me you took the movie far more seriously than it took itself.

John
04-05-2009, 07:14 PM
It's this kind of attitude that gives Hollywood an OK to keep making bad movies, though. :o

Ironside
04-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Indianna Jones crystal skull: The nuclear test site area 51 scene was practically void of US personnel. There should of been more security personnel in that scene.

ryche
04-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Just on the topic of Crank 2, I like how he's going to have to have sex again with Amy Smart. Shows just how far her career really went eh? :)

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Indianna Jones crystal skull: The nuclear test site area 51 scene was practically void of US personnel. There should of been more security personnel in that scene.

Why's that? So they could get nuked too? :)

The ones guarding the gate got killed and the rest probably evacuated the area to a safer distance. That "town" was devoid cause that's what they wanted to study.

I do agree though that the whole fridge part was retarded. He would've needed far more lead to shield than what that fridge was offering. Far more.

Ironside
04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah well a few things about that scene didn't go down too well.

Damien_Azreal
04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Like a man pulling out another man's heart? Or finding the Holy Grail and watching a man turn to dust? ;) Or, possibly watching a man's face melt off while his friend's head explodes. :p

All the Indy films had impossible bits in them, as already mentioned in this thread, ridding an inflatable raft out of a falling plane and landing safely on a snow covered mountain? :p

Ramen4ever
04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Driving off a raising bridge in a lowered car. Thank you Fast and the Furious 2.
mm on second though. Crank had the most crap in it. Transporter 2 was really up there with that bomb removal stunt but Crank was just loaded with shit.

Jiminator
04-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey, the inflatable raft thingy is possible, mythbusters demonstrated it. Their dummy would have survived.

back to subject :
I think it was the last diehard, launching a car to take out a helicopter

Ramen4ever
04-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey, the inflatable raft thingy is possible, mythbusters demonstrated it. Their dummy would have survived.

back to subject :
I think it was the last diehard, launching a car to take out a helicopter

Or ducking from an incoming car by being in between two other cars. It happened just before the car launching bit.

I don't think anything can top falling out of a helicopter and surviving though. Worst part is that it not only happened in Crank, it also happened in a bond movie with Jaws. Who I recall, survived.

Commando Nukem
04-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Like a man pulling out another man's heart? Or finding the Holy Grail and watching a man turn to dust? ;) Or, possibly watching a man's face melt off while his friend's head explodes. :p

All the Indy films had impossible bits in them, as already mentioned in this thread, ridding an inflatable raft out of a falling plane and landing safely on a snow covered mountain? :p

The things you cited as examples had explinations.

They were religious/spiritual/part of a voodoo ritual.

Indy surviving a nuke with a refrigorator is unexplainable. I feel dumber just from writing that.

ZuljinRaynor
04-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Lead lining!

sawn_off
04-06-2009, 04:20 AM
The ol' magic dirtbike jump in xXx. Or was it XxX?

IwantMORE
04-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Has to be...

"Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant. "

Hudson
04-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Jar-Jar Binks needs to die in a fire, twice.

jimbob
04-06-2009, 07:40 AM
midi-chloreans is also high on my hate list.

Orochi Avlis
04-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Crank 2 : WHO STOLE MY HEART?!?

Thread complete.
Yeah, but Crank isn't meant to be taken seriously.

As for the stupidest scenes: Wicker Man, the ENTIRE movie. The Nick Cage re-make.

IwantMORE
04-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Jar-Jar Binks needs to die in a fire, twice.

Barbeque anyone ;)

http://members.shaw.ca/bushleague/wired/jarjar.jpg

Karthik
04-06-2009, 09:02 AM
The amount of damage and carnage on the streets in broad daylight in spy movies. Look no further than every James Bond, Bourne Supremacy and other spy movies.

prophecy holder
04-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Maz payne movie, the whole thing. The only thing I kept saying to myself was:

"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?"

Nessus
04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Actually Indy would probably have survived the blast in that fridge. The radiation would be less of a worry than the overpressure of the shock wave. The lead probably does absorb some of the rads from the initial burst also. There were plenty of people In Japan who survived the blast itself and lived for quite a long time afterwards. And Indy left the scene immediately after the blast.

Besides the whole series is supposed to be a take on the old Saturday serials of old so there are things in there meant to appeal to a kids mentality.

Another insulting movie was Speed. There are scenes where the bus never hit 50 for minutes at a time. We all know they can't take city corners at 50.

Jiminator
04-07-2009, 12:16 AM
i have not seen that indy movie, but I can state with certainty that nobody would survive anything in a fridge. Mythbusters had a segment on it, where someone tosses a grenade into one. The walls in a fridge are basically insulation surrounded by two thin sheets of metal. So it is false to assume any type of protection.

oh, big lol about speed - a section of bridge was out. So they gun it and jump 30 feet to the next section. No ramp or nothing. If you know anything about gravity you know it would plunge down nosefirst regardless of the speed.

Ramen4ever
04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
I took a city corner at 50. Crappy car, tires were squeaking.. I thought I was going break the wheel or flip over. It was a nice short 90 degree turn.

Damien_Azreal
04-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, but Crank isn't meant to be taken seriously.

Doesn't stop the movie from completely sucking.

Ugh... I hated that movie so damn much.

ryche
04-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Actually Indy would probably have survived the blast in that fridge. The radiation would be less of a worry than the overpressure of the shock wave. The lead probably does absorb some of the rads from the initial burst also. There were plenty of people In Japan who survived the blast itself and lived for quite a long time afterwards. And Indy left the scene immediately after the blast.

Besides the whole series is supposed to be a take on the old Saturday serials of old so there are things in there meant to appeal to a kids mentality.

I know it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Besides those radiation levels that close to the bomb would've killed him if he wasn't destroyed by the blast and heat. Be it there on the spot or a few days later. The body can only take so much before everything starts breaking down.

Lead can only do so much. If you get an x-ray (dental or regular) then when you wear that lead shielding, it's only meant to protect you from the weaker photons of the beam. Mostly scatter radiation coming out of the tube. Same with that "lead glass" that the techs hide behind. It's only meant to help from the random photons that might come that direction. If you take the tube and point it through that glass or the lead, it will shoot through. :)

http://www.bambooweb.com/articles/n/u/Nuclear_fallout.html Has some good info.

Nessus
04-07-2009, 09:43 PM
The walls in a fridge are basically insulation surrounded by two thin sheets of metal. So it is false to assume any type of protection.

Ever used one of those old fridges from the 50's and 60's? They were tanks, not even remotely comparable to a modern fridge. I don't really remember the scene well enough but I'm assuming it was tiny blast and he was right on the edge. I don't even remember if the house he was in got shredded.

Mister_Anderson
04-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Its the landing at terminal velocity speed that annoys me in Crystal Skull. Every bone in his body would be broken. Several times over.

wayskobfssae
04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Lead can only do so much. If you get an x-ray (dental or regular) then when you wear that lead shielding, it's only meant to protect you from the weaker photons of the beam.

So, bomb shelters are completely bogus?

Jiminator
04-07-2009, 11:43 PM
i'm reminded of the drills that they used to have in schools, nonsense about getting under your desk. anyway, a bomb shelter will put you underground, which will absorb the shockwave, above ground you can have your house fall on you, flying glass, debris, and so forth. anyway if you are talking about nuclear bombs, then its going to be bad news regardless. radiation poisoning kills as many people as the blast.

Commando Nukem
04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
i'm reminded of the drills that they used to have in schools, nonsense about getting under your desk. anyway, a bomb shelter will put you underground, which will absorb the shockwave, above ground you can have your house fall on you, flying glass, debris, and so forth. anyway if you are talking about nuclear bombs, then its going to be bad news regardless. radiation poisoning kills as many people as the blast.

I thought that was for Earth Quakes.

04-08-2009, 04:42 AM
back to subject :
I think it was the last diehard, launching a car to take out a helicopterIt's not the most far fetched scene in a Die Hard movie. A firehose bungee cord would break your spine and probably sever your liver, and you can't ignite aviation fuel. However, if you get a car fast enough on an incline you can get it airborne. Although the helicopter might be another matter. ;)

Funny how movie scenes aren't so stupid when you attach 20+ years of nostalgia to them.

jimbob
04-08-2009, 10:06 AM
It's not the most far fetched scene in a Die Hard movie. A firehose bungee cord would break your spine and probably sever your liver, and you can't ignite aviation fuel. However, if you get a car fast enough on an incline you can get it airborne. Although the helicopter might be another matter. ;)

Funny how movie scenes aren't so stupid when you attach 20+ years of nostalgia to them.
and why he thought it would be a good idea to throw a ton of C4 down an elevator shaft and nearly blowing up the whole structural supports is another one.
it could have made the building collapse.

C2S
04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I know OP said "out of Hollywood" - but without these, a thread about "stupid scenes" is nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6c2H3ClJPM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dca4hVBdtJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHYznAb9D9I

Sang
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
All this hatred for Crank around here.. my GF gave me the DVD of that one back in December, but I still haven't watched it. She handed it to me shortly after we saw Death Race (the remake) and Transporter 2 which made me conclude that any movie with emotionless Jason Statham as the protagonist was bullshit overflowing with testosterone :o

Thanks to you guys I'm even more reluctant to watch it now :D

Commando Nukem
04-08-2009, 03:53 PM
It's not the most far fetched scene in a Die Hard movie.

His foot leaves the gas for several feet before it even goes up the ramp.

A firehose bungee cord would break your spine and probably sever your liver,

That depends on how far and how fast you fall and then stop. He didnt fall very far down the building. But honestly, by that point in the movie most other men would have died... Hence the title of the movie.

and you can't ignite aviation fuel.

Really? I thought fuel was fuel. I mean i've heard tonnes of stories about jet fuel burning. There was an entire wing of a conspiracy arguing Jet Fuel cant burn hot enough to melt steel. (The arguement was academic, it burns hot enough to weaken steel.)

However, if you get a car fast enough on an incline you can get it airborne. Although the helicopter might be another matter. ;)

Not if you take your foot off the gas for six feet before reaching the upward incline. The car should have stopped before even touching the ramp.

I can think of a lot of really stupid scenes from 20 years ago, and plenty of dumb movies.

The Die Hard trilogy is not among them.

and why he thought it would be a good idea to throw a ton of C4 down an elevator shaft and nearly blowing up the whole structural supports is another one.
it could have made the building collapse.

Feh, he destroyed the elevator shafts and took out a few floors. Hardly the same thing. Granted it was reckless, but he had to fight back somehow.

Amakou
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
All this hatred for Crank around here.. my GF gave me the DVD of that one back in December, but I still haven't watched it. She handed it to me shortly after we saw Death Race (the remake) and Transporter 2 which made me conclude that any movie with emotionless Jason Statham as the protagonist was bullshit overflowing with testosterone :o

Thanks to you guys I'm even more reluctant to watch it now :D

It's an enjoyable over-the-top action movie. Anyone expecting more is bound for disappointment. The creators knew they didn't have a plot, so they focused on the action. I liked it.

~Amakou~

04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
The Die Hard trilogy is not among them.I think someone is a little defensive of Die Hard movies. ;)

I love the Die Hard movies too, especially #3. It's just silly to say that #4 is dumb because of one action set piece when the series threw plausibility to the wind early on.

I can think of a lot of really stupid scenes from 20 years ago, and plenty of dumb movies.I just find it strange that everyone rips into the new Die Hard, Indiana Jones and Star Wars movies for being equally as flawed as the originals.

razgriz
04-08-2009, 06:43 PM
The Die Hard Trilogy is classic while Live Free is just a lazy and uninspired wannabe.

Anyway, another ridiculous scene out of Hollywood is ....the Charlie's Angels movies. Dumb, un-entertaining, and a hot mess.

Another ridiculous scene is the open wheel prototype car race through Chicago in Stallone's Driven. Right through traffic.

Nimoy
04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
My problem with Live Free or Die Hard was that little Mac-Prick being in it. I hate that little ****.

He ruined the Helicopter Scene "HAW AWZUM, U JUS KILT A HELICOPTA WIZ A CAR!1!1!!!1"

You cant "kill" a helicopter.

ryche
04-09-2009, 12:18 AM
His foot leaves the gas for several feet before it even goes up the ramp.

Cruise control.

04-09-2009, 06:25 AM
The Die Hard Trilogy is classic while Live Free is just a lazy and uninspired wannabe.There were only a few problems I had with it (none of them involved cars or helicopters ;)).
1. Michael Kamen is dead, nothing they could have done about that though. Elliot Goldenthal did a pretty good Kamen knockoff in Demolition Man so I guess they could have gotten him.
2. Overlength.
3. One location too many. Should have had either the power station or the server farm, not both. Condensed all the action from both into one location would have been more interesting IMO.
4. REALLY needed John McTiernan.

Anyway, another ridiculous scene out of Hollywood is ....the Charlie's Angels movies. Dumb, un-entertaining, and a hot mess.I quite enjoyed the first one. I didn't expect to like it at all, but was pleasantly surprised. The first one was dumb, but fun. The second was just dumb. A chick gets catapulted off a speeding car and flung down subway steps all the way down but she's perfectly alright. That'd kill the Terminator.

That reminds me of another dumb one. Torque. That was an "ok" movie until the final chase... when he's riding a motorbike that goes so fast it makes parking meters explode. :rolleyes: And then he stacks it and winds up with a slight limp. :doh:

Hudson
04-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Thank you.

Mr Bear
04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Face/Off. Two spring to mind.

1. Archer's family moving their hands down each other's faces. Supposed to be a sign of affection, but it's just creepy.

2. After the church shootout, Castor Troy gets away and blows away scores of cops and innocent bystanders... but doesn't shoot the daughter for stabbing him! :doh: He had the gun to her head, shooting her would be a reflex even if he didn't mean to do it (but knifing an armed terrorist is normally a first prize way of getting your own dumbass shot)

Agreed on both fronts, but why don't you zoom out and see the entire picture?? :)

I mean the whole plotline itself was by far the most ridiculous aspect of that movie.....being able to surgically swap faces to change identities and then having the faceless bad guy miraculously waking from his coma to steal the good-guy's face and wreak havoc.....not to mention the two opposite actors having different body builds and hair, so Nick Cage magically gained weight and had his hairline un-recede when he got Travolta's face.....not even to mention how the two actors had different distinctive looking ears, teeth and.....heck, I could go on and on.....:doh:

Despite all of this, it is still my all-time favorite movie!! :cool:

Edit: after typing all that, I just realized the thread topic was stupidest scenes. :o

04-09-2009, 10:32 PM
not to mention the two opposite actors having different body builds and hair, so Nick Cage magically gained weight and had his hairline un-recede when he got Travolta's face.....not even to mention how the two actors had different distinctive looking ears, teeth and.....heck, I could go on and on.....:doh:They switch knowledge too, as Castor Troy somehow knows he only has to kill three people who know about the operation instead of the entire FBI. :p

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Besides the whole series is supposed to be a take on the old Saturday serials of old so there are things in there meant to appeal to a kids mentality.Exactly. If Spielberg and Lucas really wanted to follow the tradition of Saturday matinee serials, then they could have had Indy finding a Rocketeer-style rocket pack and fighting Nazi's on the moon. So hiding in a fridge to survive a nuke isn't that bad.

Mr Bear
04-13-2009, 03:50 AM
[QUOTE=Grande 3:16;854538]They switch knowledge too, as Castor Troy somehow knows he only has to kill three people who know about the operation instead of the entire FBI. :p[COLOR="Silver"]

Wrong, actually....if you watched the surgery scene, the doctor had several assistants helping him- so besides him the and two secret agents(the only three that were killed), there WERE other people that knew about the change!! A plot hole, if you ask me......:o

04-13-2009, 04:47 AM
Wrong, actually....if you watched the surgery scene, the doctor had several assistants helping him- so besides him the and two secret agents(the only three that were killed), there WERE other people that knew about the change!! A plot hole, if you ask me......:oGood point, never thought of that. :D

Thought of another one. I feel silly picking on a James Bond movie because they're never all that realistic, but the scene in Diamonds Are Forever when Mr Wynt and Mr Kidd dump Bond in a pipe at a construction site is one of the dumbest of the entire series. The pipeline gets completed and has enough time for maintenance workers to complain about fixing problems in the time it takes Bond to wake up. :doh: That's what, less than half a day? The construction workers probably should have noticed him there, but presumably they worked for Blofeld/the hitmen and were in on it.

I love this movie, one of my favourite Bond flicks, but that scene was incredibly stupid.

That and the cop-out of having the Mustang change angles in the alleyway. :doh:

[EDIT]That's a British movie, so doesn't count as "Hollywood". :doh:

Klaus Kinski
04-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Quoting the double quote for more emphasis. The fight was actually weirder than seeing a black hitman.
I knew it was a good idea NOT to watch Hitman. Sword fights? WTF? Is at least one of them in tights?

I just find it strange that everyone rips into the new Die Hard, Indiana Jones and Star Wars movies for being equally as flawed as the originals.
That's because nobody gave a shit about these flaws when they saw it back then with 12 or whatever. You we're just entertained and nostalgia started to build over the years. If Indy 3 would've been made 15 years later, people would hate it too. The way people watch and judge movies has changed a lot since the early 90's.

What I don't get is how so many people get upset about stupid scenes in movies that already have a stupid premise to begin with. For the fourth time the not so great cop McClane has to fight terrorists because he's accidentally at the wrong time at the wrong place, an asteroid threatens to destroy earth and the NASA sends people who drill for oil up there to blow it up, a Harvard (?) professor and his family compete with the Soviet's best psychic to find an historic alien artifact, all these premises are really dumb to begin with. Still, people go into theatres and expect something that can be logically explained (like McClane falling from a 15+ meters high bridge on a ship and walking away from it in Die Hard 3) and taken completely seriously (Yoda, a green, gramatically challenged dwarf teaching a boy, who happens to be the secret son of an evil emperor's henchman and brother of a beautiful princess that leads a resistance movement against that emperor, psychic abilities to use them to talk his evil father into betraying his master). Oh, please.
Anybody watched The Core? I, for one, am terribly upset that a movie where a crew of scientists plans to drill with an advanced underground digging machine into the earth's core to blow up several nuclear warheads to get the core rotating again had a scene of a Space Shuttle landing in the middle of LA. How unrealistic and stupid.
Get some perspective, folks. Some stuff is indeed very stupid (I'm looking at you, Mr. Emmerich) but most of the things mentioned here are simply your standard action movie dumbness that has been around (and required) forever. Did you never wonder why Steven Seagal can beat up everyone all the time or why Bruce Willis can take a level of abuse that would send every real NY cop into a wheelchair for life?
I watched Fast & Furious last week. It was a very dumb movie with lots of stupid scenes. I wasn't mad or disappointed. Why? Because it's a freaking The Fast & The Furious movie. It's car porn with good looking chicks and guys who are to cool to be real. I knew what I was getting myself into. I understood the movie.
I won't complain about the awful dialogue in Buttlicking Whores 15 either. :)

Ironside
04-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I like the lightbulb you put on your reply.
Anyways were talking about stupid shit found in Hollywood movies. Every movie has some stupid shit it's just were trying to remember those scenes.

Jiminator
04-13-2009, 09:56 AM
some movies are intentionally stupid, but they cross a line when they pretend to be serious movies and do stupid shit because they are too lazy to research and assume that you are too dumb to know any better.

prophecy holder
04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
I knew it was a good idea NOT to watch Hitman. Sword fights? WTF? Is at least one of them in tights?

That's because nobody gave a shit about these flaws when they saw it back then with 12 or whatever. You we're just entertained and nostalgia started to build over the years. If Indy 3 would've been made 15 years later, people would hate it too. The way people watch and judge movies has changed a lot since the early 90's.

What I don't get is how so many people get upset about stupid scenes in movies that already have a stupid premise to begin with. For the fourth time the not so great cop McClane has to fight terrorists because he's accidentally at the wrong time at the wrong place, an asteroid threatens to destroy earth and the NASA sends people who drill for oil up there to blow it up, a Harvard (?) professor and his family compete with the Soviet's best psychic to find an historic alien artifact, all these premises are really dumb to begin with. Still, people go into theatres and expect something that can be logically explained (like McClane falling from a 15+ meters high bridge on a ship and walking away from it in Die Hard 3) and taken completely seriously (Yoda, a green, gramatically challenged dwarf teaching a boy, who happens to be the secret son of an evil emperor's henchman and brother of a beautiful princess that leads a resistance movement against that emperor, psychic abilities to use them to talk his evil father into betraying his master). Oh, please.
Anybody watched The Core? I, for one, am terribly upset that a movie where a crew of scientists plans to drill with an advanced underground digging machine into the earth's core to blow up several nuclear warheads to get the core rotating again had a scene of a Space Shuttle landing in the middle of LA. How unrealistic and stupid.
Get some perspective, folks. Some stuff is indeed very stupid (I'm looking at you, Mr. Emmerich) but most of the things mentioned here are simply your standard action movie dumbness that has been around (and required) forever. Did you never wonder why Steven Seagal can beat up everyone all the time or why Bruce Willis can take a level of abuse that would send every real NY cop into a wheelchair for life?
I watched Fast & Furious last week. It was a very dumb movie with lots of stupid scenes. I wasn't mad or disappointed. Why? Because it's a freaking The Fast & The Furious movie. It's car porn with good looking chicks and guys who are to cool to be real. I knew what I was getting myself into. I understood the movie.
I won't complain about the awful dialogue in Buttlicking Whores 15 either. :)

Like someone said, there is a limit to how bad a scene can be. If it crosses that line then it's a really shitty scene and shouldnt of existed in the first place. This is the year 2009, can we get a decent movie that isn't a remake now?

Btw, I don't know where you guys are coming from but I thoroughly enjoyed Idiana jones: and the kingdom of the crystal skull.

IwantMORE
04-14-2009, 11:05 AM
There is one that always winds me up. It's the cracking a password scene from almost every movie (and TV show) where they have to crack a password or number sequence.

The first movie I remember it in was War Games where to guess the launch sequence with X numbers in it... First you get "It's got one of them..." then it goes on to get more and more until it gets them all.

Most if not all passwords and number sequences you can't tell if you have 1 number correct it's all or nothing. Also if you could do it this way then by the time you got to the last few digits it would take milliseconds to try out the last few thousand combinations.

Anyway I think it's more dramatic and would have more suspension if you just did not know how long it would take and then suddenly bing it's there...

wayskobfssae
04-14-2009, 11:47 AM
The first movie I remember it in was War Games where to guess the launch sequence with X numbers in it... First you get "It's got one of them..." then it goes on to get more and more until it gets them all.

From a desktop perspective it didn't make sense. But since the computer was essentially hacking into itself, I gave that bit of bizarreness the benefit of the doubt.

jimbob
04-14-2009, 11:50 AM
or the age old hollywood cliché of stopping a timebomb 1 second before detonation.

Jiminator
04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
agreed, all the password/hacking stuff is bogus. Some accounts you will lock out after a few failures. Others implement a time delay between allowed attempts. There is no "figure out the digits sequentially" type of logic. Bad abusers of this were both Alias, a few years ago, and also Leverage (which no doubt few people watch, but its a fun show). Also passwords, many companies enforce a password policy which requires a combination of uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols - and password rotation every x months. You will not break into a military computer using the name of someones dog.

wayskobfssae
04-14-2009, 12:24 PM
What about the 'hidden' password issue though? I figure some programmers actually did things like this. Falken didn't originally design his system for military use. He was just trying to develop an advanced AI. "Joshua" wasn't put in by NORAD. The military only took interest in the system for the purpose of running war sims. No doubt, they put in their own alpha-numeric impossible-to-crack passwords, but 'Joshua' was still in there.

Granted this stuff doesn't go on anymore except in very rare cases, but at the infancy of the computer age, programmers were almost like sorcerers in the eyes of the general populous, performing miracles using an occult science that almost nobody understood. So it would've been quite common for people with tons of money to say, "I don't care how it works. Just make me a program that does this, this, and this." Carte Blanche, basically.

In the 70's & 80's, these kind of scenarios seem much more possible to me.

jimbob
04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
You will not break into a military computer using the name of someones dog.

you`d be suprised. our military has had a few mishaps where they left USB-Sticks without any kind of encryption and/or password in taxi`s and even public transportation.

Jiminator
04-14-2009, 01:21 PM
to be certain, the technology has changed tremendously the past 20 years. It used to be that to access a computer you needed to be sitting at a terminal that was connected to the mainframe. There was no way to gain outside access. There was no way to copy data. Modems came, they allowed programs to be uploaded at 300 bps, and output came back the same way.

now a lot of these systems are connected to high speed networks, all of the data in a system as said, can easily be dumped to usb drive.

sure, a lot of the legacy stuff is still out there. Hell, they said that chinese hackers broke into the power grid system. Every few months you hear about security breaches where millions of account numbers are lost. That usually happens because a laptop is lost, or a carton of tapes are lost.

A lot of companies have put a lot of effort into becoming SOX compliant (NOT a legal requirement, just a suggestion), which essentially means encrypting or otherwise safeguarding private customer data. A lot of systems granting access have been 'hardened', meaning that code has been analyzed, common exploits are blocked and so forth. A lot of the most secure code is based on the public domain code, because it has been extensively scrutinized and patched by experts.

In that regard windows is very vulnerable. Microsoft has done a piss poor job with their operating systems, they implemented connectivity, but they also implemented total vulnerability. ActiveX is probably one of the most exploited things ever created.

anyway there are tons of methods used to steal data. The simplest is to go diving in the company dumpster. tons of medical records have been lost that way. another method used was to call tech support and mumble whenever they asked for password. The agents would grow frustrated and let the caller to continue.

So there are a lot of legitimate ways to steal and break into systems. What hollywood uses though, bogus for the most part.

Nimoy
04-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Ever seen the movie "Hackers"?

Yeah, thats what hacking is really like. 3D graphics.

Klaus Kinski
04-14-2009, 02:43 PM
How about all those ultra explosive Hollywood cars that always blow up as soon as 2 of their wheels loose ground contact. Now that is stupid.

Jiminator
04-14-2009, 02:59 PM
LOL at anything having to do with cars exploding. Mythbusters debunked that, emptying multiple clips into a car with nada.

Also anything to do with someone getting shot and being "thrown back". The law of equal and opposite reactions would cause the shooter to be thrown back an equal amount. Shooting at pig carcasses and then pigs with bullet proof vests (to capture more of the bullet energy) they were not able to move the pig much. They also showed you can't shoot a hat off of a person, the bullet will go through the material...

Ironside
04-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Watched the Marine last night..talk about BS explosions.
The bad guy shot about 12 rounds at a gas tank in a house then the whole house explodes big time. What BS. there were many explosions in this movie that suxed balls. It as if the producer said just blow evrything up and we will make some cash.

ryche
04-14-2009, 08:03 PM
you`d be suprised. our military has had a few mishaps where they left USB-Sticks without any kind of encryption and/or password in taxi`s and even public transportation.

Can't have USB-sticks anymore fyi. DoD-wide due to viruses and this among the reasons why we can't use'em.

Also you'd be surprised how many passwords people use are simple stupid ones like 1!QqAaZz

I shit you not.

Nessus
04-14-2009, 08:57 PM
or the age old hollywood cliché of stopping a timebomb 1 second before detonation.

Every time I see one of those scenes I think to myself, "Why not just pull the blasting caps out of the C4?" Seriously wouldn't that probably work? Pull out the detonator caps and stick a can around them or a shield plate between them and the charge, I'll bet in real life that would stop most of the bombs we see in movies.

Jiminator
04-14-2009, 09:55 PM
theoretically if the circuit is interrupted the bomb goes off. or so hollywood tells us. of course I don't know anything about bombs, but I doubt most bomb makers are as clever as hollywood makes them out to be. I mean how technical can you get with a wind up alarm clock acting as a bomb trigger?

wayskobfssae
04-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Every time I see one of those scenes I think to myself, "Why not just pull the blasting caps out of the C4?" Seriously wouldn't that probably work? Pull out the detonator caps and stick a can around them or a shield plate between them and the charge, I'll bet in real life that would stop most of the bombs we see in movies.

Yeah.. from my understanding of it, C4 goes off when an electrical current goes through it. Now if a couple wires are jammed into it and someone pulls them out, how the heck is the detonator going to know this if electricity isn't already going through it?

Jiminator
04-14-2009, 10:44 PM
bah, I was going to google "c4 bomb wiring schematics" but then I realized that might not be the best idea....

Ironside
04-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Not unless you want the internet global task force going through all your stuff, lol.

December Man
04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
bah, I was going to google "c4 bomb wiring schematics" but then I realized that might not be the best idea....

I just did and the first page that came up was

"Home-made mock C4 bomb - how to".

lol

wayskobfssae
04-15-2009, 11:55 AM
I just did and the first page that came up was

"Home-made mock C4 bomb - how to".

lol

Heh, one of the crazy thoughts that popped into my head when I was in grade school was to build a 100% functional C4-bomb, but with one little modification: use modeling clay instead of C4.

Nimoy
04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Heh, one of the crazy thoughts that popped into my head when I was in grade school was to build a 100% functional C4-bomb, but with one little modification: use modeling clay instead of C4.

Bwahaha.

crunchy superman
04-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Pretty much any use of computers in film or television:

- Each and every pixel displayed on a monitor makes a different sound as it appears.
- Mice are apparently useless.
- Small sequences of keypresses somehow build & render huge 3D environments.
- Everything has a text parser that understands plain english commands such as "email this to the president" or "download virus".
- Any image can be infinitely zoomed with no loss of resolution.
- All computers boot up in under three seconds.

Jiminator
04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Any image can be infinitely zoomed with no loss of resolution.
OMG!! gotta love it when they snap a photograh of a person, enlarge the eye and use it to pass a retinal scanner test.

using clay to make an impression of a key - mythbusters could not make a working key that way (although with a blank you can cut it to fit the clay, but this is different from what they do in the movies)

fingerprints to bypass scanners - they were able to beat one type of door lock, could not beat another type of scanner, so very doubtful

Damien_Azreal
04-15-2009, 03:14 PM
OMG!! gotta love it when they snap a photograh of a person, enlarge the eye and use it to pass a retinal scanner test.

Yeah, at least Demolition Man did that right. He just ripped the guys eye out of his head and used it... no need for no damn pictures.

IwantMORE
04-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Driving while obviously not looking at the road, especially if in heavy traffic.

ryche
04-15-2009, 03:24 PM

This has always pissed me off and will until we can actually do it IRL.
"Enhance...enhance....enhance..." ;) Super Troopers

but yeah really though, I hate when I see a blurry ass picture and they see a few pixels worth of no detail and somehow "enhance" or zoom into the image to all of a sudden see all this new information that couldn't be there.

Your's doesn't ? :D

Jokke_r
04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, at least Demolition Man did that right. He just ripped the guys eye out of his head and used it... no need for no damn pictures.

that wouldn't work as the retina is at the back of the eye and he stuck a pencil through the eye kinda blocking the retina.

Damien_Azreal
04-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah, but it still looked a hell of a lot better than when movies try to use a picture or something. :p

ZuljinRaynor
04-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Nostalgia Critic reminded me of the scene from Superman 1... where he makes the Earth spin backwards so time goes backwards...

Dopefish7590
04-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Haha, that's right... I forgot about that one, then there is. "Come kneel before Zod!" In Superman II. I honestly couldn't take those movies seriously... :D

Mr Bear
04-15-2009, 05:23 PM
How about Max Payne? The fact that a drug such as Valkyr was taken orally rather than injected.....that was pretty stupid, imho.

I know it's a fictitious drug, but judging by it's effects you'd think that the fastest way to get "results" would be via bloodstream.....

Could this possibly have been to keep the film within a PG-13 rating?? :doh:

Klaus Kinski
04-15-2009, 05:27 PM
How can you take a movie about a man who puts his briefs on last seriously anyways? :)

My favourite moment regarding computers in movies is still in Enemy Of The State when the NSA uses a grainy security videotape (which they obtained with their magic hacking powers from the probably analog VCR recording it) to calculate the volume of a shoppingbag's contents and thereby finding out that somebody slipped Will Smith a CD. That's a classic.

Ironside
04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
They kinda cleaned this up now but remember how actors that were driving use to sway the steering wheel way too much. I cant specifically remember a scene but everyone was doing it back then.

Jiminator
04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
not specific to movies, but I never understood how flash type characters - even if they are "fast" - can cross the globe in an instant, or even hundreds of times. I mean they still have to walk/jog the entire distance of the globe, even though their sense of time may be greatly slowed down, ie: regular person experiences 1 second, flash person experiences 1 year crossing continent by foot... That's going to wear out some shoes. And what specific properties allows superman to fly? The "jump real high" just doesn't do it for me..... :D

Damien_Azreal
04-15-2009, 05:52 PM
They kinda cleaned this up now but remember how actors that were driving use to sway the steering wheel way too much. I cant specifically remember a scene but everyone was doing it back then.

Yeah.
If they really were driving like that they would be all over the damn road.

Ironside
04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
At the end of Lethal Weapon when Rigs takes off barefooted through the city on foot chasing the bad guys who were in a car, Rigs was even taking the on ramp to a highway. That was still a cool movie and probably Mel's best performance but that scene was a bit stupid for me.

04-15-2009, 06:02 PM
or the age old hollywood cliché of stopping a timebomb 1 second before detonation.Or why bombs have big red digital readouts on them (or "RDR's" as Ebert likes to call them :)). Shows the timer of the bomb counting down even though the audience is the only one around to see it. :doh:

My favourite moment regarding computers in movies is still in Enemy Of The State when the NSA uses a grainy security videotape (which they obtained with their magic hacking powers from the probably analog VCR recording it) to calculate the volume of a shoppingbag's contents and thereby finding out that somebody slipped Will Smith a CD. That's a classic.The best part was when they rotate the image to see stuff that was out of view from the camera. :doh:

Pretty much any use of computers in film or television:

- Each and every pixel displayed on a monitor makes a different sound as it appears.
- Mice are apparently useless.
- Small sequences of keypresses somehow build & render huge 3D environments.
- Everything has a text parser that understands plain english commands such as "email this to the president" or "download virus".

Oldie but a goldie. This is actually a shorter list, the one I saw years ago had more examples.

Computers in Movies:

1. Word processors never display a cursor.

2. You never have to use the space-bar when typing long sentences.

3. All monitors display inch-high letters.

4. High-tech computers, such as those used by NASA, the CIA, or some such governmental institution, will have easy-to-understand graphical interfaces.

5. Those that don't will have incredibly powerful text-based command shells that can correctly understand and execute commands typed in plain English.

6. You can gain access to any information you want by simply typing "ACCESS ALL OF THE SECRET FILES" on any keyboard.

7. Likewise, you can infect a computer with a destructive virus by simply typing "UPLOAD VIRUS." (See "Fortress")

8. All computers are connected. You can access the information on the villain's desktop computer, even if it's turned off.

9. Powerful computers beep whenever you press a key or whenever the screen changes. Some computers also slow down the output on the screen so that it doesn't go faster than you can read. The *really* advanced ones also emulate the sound of a dot-matrix printer.

10. All computer panels have thousands of volts and flash pots just underneath the surface. Malfunctions are indicated by a bright flash, a puff of smoke, a shower of sparks, and an explosion that forces you backward.

11. People typing away on a computer will turn it off without saving the data.

12. A hacker can get into the most sensitive computer in the world before intermission and guess the secret password in two tries.

13. Any PERMISSION DENIED has an OVERRIDE function. (See "Demolition Man" and countless others)

14. Complex calculations and loading of huge amounts of data will be accomplished in under three seconds. Movie modems transmit data at a speed of two gigabytes per second.

15. When the power plant/missile site/whatever overheats, all the control panels will explode, as will the entire building.

16. If you display a file on the screen and someone deletes the file, it also disappears from the screen. (e.g., "Clear and Present Danger")

17. If a disk has got encrypted files, you are automatically asked for a password when you try to access it.

18. No matter what kind of computer disk it is, it'll be readable by any system you put it into. All application software is usable by all computer platforms.

19. The more high-tech the equipment, the more buttons it has ("Aliens"). However, everyone must have been highly trained, because the buttons aren't labeled.

20. Most computers, no matter how small, have reality-defying three-dimensional, real-time, photo-realistic animated graphics capability.

21. Laptops, for some strange reason, always seem to have amazing real-time video phone capabilities and the performance of a CRAY Y-MP.

22. Whenever a character looks at a VDU, the image is so bright that it projects itself onto his/her face. (See "Alien," "2001")

Ironside
04-15-2009, 06:09 PM
23. The character will shot one bullet at a computer so that no one else can use it to find the sensitive information. In reality one could still use the hard drive provided the bullet didn't hit it.

*shoot

Paroxysm
04-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Latest Red Dwarf has a great sequence with this.

wayskobfssae
04-15-2009, 06:28 PM
This has always pissed me off and will until we can actually do it IRL.
"Enhance...enhance....enhance..." ;) Super Troopers

but yeah really though, I hate when I see a blurry ass picture and they see a few pixels worth of no detail and somehow "enhance" or zoom into the image to all of a sudden see all this new information that couldn't be there.

Or for that matter, pretty much half of anything done on a drama focusing on forensics. Some of the things I see make me wonder for a moment, if the primary purpose of these shows isn't to entertain, but to deter potential criminals by making them think that investigators have all these god-like technologies and intuitions that nobody is actually capable of.

23. The character will shot one bullet at a computer so that no one else can use it to find the sensitive information. In reality one could still use the hard drive provided the bullet didn't hit it.

Don't forget. You don't even need to shoot the computer to accomplish this. Simply shooting the monitor will also erase all the data.

Nessus
04-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah.. from my understanding of it, C4 goes off when an electrical current goes through it. Now if a couple wires are jammed into it and someone pulls them out, how the heck is the detonator going to know this if electricity isn't already going through it?

I'm pretty sure the way it's normally done is that the wires lead into a blasting cap which goes off when it gets the electric signal and the small explosion sets off the plastique. It's actually pretty hard to set off, that's why they use it. You can even light it on fire, just don't hit it with a hammer. So with my idea it wouldn't matter if you had a circuit that knew if the wire was cut because you're going to allow the blasting cap to go off, just not while it's in the explosive.

I'd ask mythbusters to try it but there is no myth or movie that features anyone doing it.

Damien_Azreal
04-15-2009, 08:54 PM

*shoot

Or they shoot the monitor and leave the actual computer alone.

But, while I love the movie, I would say the "hacking" in Live Free of Die Hard. For me, anytime they do hacking in movies I always sit there and roll my eyes.

Dopefish7590
04-15-2009, 09:11 PM
If you really need to see the whole post, click the spoiler:
Or why bombs have big red digital readouts on them (or "RDR's" as Ebert likes to call them :)). Shows the timer of the bomb counting down even though the audience is the only one around to see it. :doh:

The best part was when they rotate the image to see stuff that was out of view from the camera. :doh:

Oldie but a goldie. This is actually a shorter list, the one I saw years ago had more examples.

Computers in Movies:

1. Word processors never display a cursor.

2. You never have to use the space-bar when typing long sentences.

3. All monitors display inch-high letters.

4. High-tech computers, such as those used by NASA, the CIA, or some such governmental institution, will have easy-to-understand graphical interfaces.

5. Those that don't will have incredibly powerful text-based command shells that can correctly understand and execute commands typed in plain English.

6. You can gain access to any information you want by simply typing "ACCESS ALL OF THE SECRET FILES" on any keyboard.

7. Likewise, you can infect a computer with a destructive virus by simply typing "UPLOAD VIRUS." (See "Fortress")

8. All computers are connected. You can access the information on the villain's desktop computer, even if it's turned off.

9. Powerful computers beep whenever you press a key or whenever the screen changes. Some computers also slow down the output on the screen so that it doesn't go faster than you can read. The *really* advanced ones also emulate the sound of a dot-matrix printer.

10. All computer panels have thousands of volts and flash pots just underneath the surface. Malfunctions are indicated by a bright flash, a puff of smoke, a shower of sparks, and an explosion that forces you backward.

11. People typing away on a computer will turn it off without saving the data.

12. A hacker can get into the most sensitive computer in the world before intermission and guess the secret password in two tries.

13. Any PERMISSION DENIED has an OVERRIDE function. (See "Demolition Man" and countless others)

14. Complex calculations and loading of huge amounts of data will be accomplished in under three seconds. Movie modems transmit data at a speed of two gigabytes per second.

15. When the power plant/missile site/whatever overheats, all the control panels will explode, as will the entire building.

16. If you display a file on the screen and someone deletes the file, it also disappears from the screen. (e.g., "Clear and Present Danger")

17. If a disk has got encrypted files, you are automatically asked for a password when you try to access it.

18. No matter what kind of computer disk it is, it'll be readable by any system you put it into. All application software is usable by all computer platforms.

19. The more high-tech the equipment, the more buttons it has ("Aliens"). However, everyone must have been highly trained, because the buttons aren't labeled.

20. Most computers, no matter how small, have reality-defying three-dimensional, real-time, photo-realistic animated graphics capability.

21. Laptops, for some strange reason, always seem to have amazing real-time video phone capabilities and the performance of a CRAY Y-MP.

22. Whenever a character looks at a VDU, the image is so bright that it projects itself onto his/her face. (See "Alien," "2001")

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article09-127

Mr Bear
04-15-2009, 09:13 PM

THANK YOU!!! I'm so sick and tired of watching a so-called realistic crime show and seeing them enlarge a grainy low-rez screen capture from surveillance cam footage.....and then the image magically gains quality to the point where they can identify the subject without a question!!!:doh:

ryche
04-15-2009, 10:17 PM

But, while I love the movie, I would say the "hacking" in Live Free of Die Hard. For me, anytime they do hacking in movies I always sit there and roll my eyes.

Prepare the downloads.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
Ugh...

Ironside
04-15-2009, 10:29 PM
How about how they had the computers rigged with c4 in Die Hard 4? When they hit delete or something it triggers it so when the dude never hit delete the killers had to go in. Wouldn't they have another trigger for the bomb?

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

And how the **** did they set the bombs inside their computers? Thats just stupid!

d3ad connection
04-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Man, reading some of these posts makes me wonder how any of you enjoy any movie. Maybe it's just me, but with some movies, reality and logic need to be set aside and you should just enjoy the ride.

ryche
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
How about how they had the computers rigged with c4 in Die Hard 4? When they hit delete or something it triggers it so when the dude never hit delete the killers had to go in. Wouldn't they have another trigger for the bomb?

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

And how the **** did they set the bombs inside their computers? Thats just stupid!

I just assumed those computers were part of the payment for the "hacks".

We nitpick but I still enjoy the movies even if they're stupid shit in'em like Die Hard 4 :)

Ironside
04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah Die Hard 4 was still a great action flick. As are many other movies that have stupid scenes. :)

04-16-2009, 07:56 AM
I just assumed those computers were part of the payment for the "hacks".That's what I thought.

IwantMORE
04-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Man, reading some of these posts makes me wonder how any of you enjoy any movie. Maybe it's just me, but with some movies, reality and logic need to be set aside and you should just enjoy the ride.

A good movie is still a good movie even if it has a stupid scene or two. But it would be better if you did not have to ignore the fact that in real life it would not work like that.

Obviously it depends on the movie, Die Hard for example you know what you are going to get. But if you could change the scene to be more realistic without alienating the people it's obviously dumbed down for all the better. I guess the main people it is dumbed down for is the over movie executives who probably get movies changed because they say things like 'Why did that car not explode?', 'Shouldn't that computer beep when the screen changes' or 'Come on we have to make this even more exciting that the last film I made'...

wayskobfssae
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
IMO this film is terribly under-rated... but talks like this are one of the reasons I absolutely love "Last Action Hero."

Klaus Kinski
04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Last Action Hero is completely awesome. The producers just made the mistake and thought they could compete with Jurassic Park. Obviously they thought wrong.

ryche
04-16-2009, 04:29 PM
IMO this film is terribly under-rated... but talks like this are one of the reasons I absolutely love "Last Action Hero."

Last Action Hero was awesome.

NutWrench
04-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Well, everyone knows that if you shoot a computer monitor, it destroys the actual information no matter where it is. :)

ryche
04-16-2009, 07:19 PM
That's because people would use a magic bullet

http://www.myopamerica.com/images/products/magic-bullet-blender-lrg.jpg

IwantMORE
04-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Well, everyone knows that if you shoot a computer monitor, it destroys the actual information no matter where it is. :)

Maybe they use an iMac at home and don't realize that some computers come in two parts ;)

Pontiaction
04-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Grande 3:16's post #125 basically describes every episode of Knight Rider. :D

Kronx
04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I hate when people use flashlights in areas that clearly have plenty of light. I'm looking at you Angels and Demons.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4200303360/tt0808151

Jiminator
04-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I hate it when they have a secret outdoor meeting at night, and one guy is blinding the other with their headlights - if you have ever done this at night you know that the brights don't get that bright.

on the other hand in my younger days I had put aircraft landing lights for my high beams. If those suckers were turned on you could not see anything if you were in front of them. :)

Ironside
04-28-2009, 11:07 PM
I hate when people use flashlights in areas that clearly have plenty of light. I'm looking at you Angels and Demons.

No shit they do that so much in just about every movie. The flashlights they use always have half dead batteries too.

ryche
04-28-2009, 11:26 PM

Ah hahaha, I looked at that picture and wow...it's not even DARK in there. :doh:

Ramen4ever
04-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah, that flashlight is hard to beat with normal stuff. but here goes.

The hollywood automatic. 50 rounds, one clip. Somehow after all the carnage, the shooter hides and realizes he/she only has two bullets left. Reloading is over rated anyway.

Sound in space. Always a bummer but hey. Only a few series I know of that don't have it. Actually the only one I can name is Firefly.

Bullet proof .. stuff. This one is probably my favorite and it happens in like EVERYTHING. There's a gun fight and the characters hide behind crates or barrels or cardboard or an inch of drywall and somehow.. it protects them. This one happens a lot in Steven Seagal movies actually.

Back flips, aerials, 360 corkscrew twists. Are they fighting or performing for a judge?
Then of course there are the sword fights, which really don't make any sense to me. Good example is the Conan movies, were the goal seems to be hitting the opponents sword as opposed to the person's body. Even better are the attacks that are aimed at.. well god knows what but they wouldn't have hit even without a block or parry.

Rumble in the Bronx. "My old video game"
What video game? There's no cartridge in there. Great prank though. XD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ve2zn8UYE
It's at like 4:50. :D

Jiminator
04-29-2009, 12:01 AM
oh, absolute worst is "the crime scene". like when criminal goes to kill someone or rob someone the one thing they always do to cover their tracks and slow the cops down is....

leave the door cracked open. So when someone goes to knock... oh... the door is open... wtf?? a murder??

Ramen4ever
04-29-2009, 01:46 AM
oh, absolute worst is "the crime scene". like when criminal goes to kill someone or rob someone the one thing they always do to cover their tracks and slow the cops down is....

leave the door cracked open. So when someone goes to knock... oh... the door is open... wtf?? a murder??

Oh, good one. That happens so often it's not even funny. :D

Another one. Hollywood explosives have big shiny LEDs on em... because apparently it helps place secret bombs if they have big shiny LEDs on em. Especially if they're flashing. ;)

waving your machine gun left and right really fast is the key to precision aiming. Especially when a group of henchmen do it against a single person.
A standard car can keep on driving after going off a jump or falling some distance.
The fastest way to drive away from someone/something is to get in the car and do a burnout.
A handgun is the ultimate weapon. It can even blow up helicopters. (broken arrow, if I'm not mistaken.) In fact, if you have a machine gun.. against a handgun, your gonna lose.

Everything explodes in flames. Flipping a car upside down will cause it to explode whether or not its damaged or even turned on. A grenade causes a large flaming explosive ball devoid of shrapnel.
:doh:
Okay I'm done for now.

P.s. Ninja's can dodge bullets, simply by turning.

X-Vector
04-29-2009, 04:34 AM
A handgun is the ultimate weapon. It can even blow up helicopters.

Well, if you have one like this...

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/9/92/Batman-JokerRevolver3.JPG/500px-Batman-JokerRevolver3.JPG

hellchicken
04-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Bullet proof .. stuff. This one is probably my favorite and it happens in like EVERYTHING. There's a gun fight and the characters hide behind crates or barrels or cardboard or an inch of drywall and somehow.. it protects them. This one happens a lot in Steven Seagal movies actually.

Depending on the calibre and range even a stuffed animal could protect you from gunshot wounds, so I never really had a problem with that in film.

Then of course there are the sword fights, which really don't make any sense to me. Good example is the Conan movies, were the goal seems to be hitting the opponents sword as opposed to the person's body. Even better are the attacks that are aimed at.. well god knows what but they wouldn't have hit even without a block or parry.

I can tell you right now that it takes longer and is way more dangerous to train actors (who in most cases are absolutely untrained in combat) to aim for the body than it is training them to hit each others weapons. It's a mixture between avoiding danger and making for a filmable choreography.

IwantMORE
04-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Hench men are waving a gun around, cut to hero. A string of shots miss the hero in a perfect straight line all exactly the same distance behind them. Especially if done in slow motion.

Jiminator
04-29-2009, 08:58 AM
how about the jump and roll while firing a machine gun. they always manage that perfectly. for twice the raw killing power they will hold a machine gun in each outstretched hand to create a wave of death.

saw this yesterday. if you are looking to kill someone for a company then you need to dress up in a suit and shoot through their car window at a distance. add to that trained killers always miss, regardless of the distance, however they are very good at hitting things like rails or the ground.

Ramen4ever
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
I can tell you right now that it takes longer and is way more dangerous to train actors (who in most cases are absolutely untrained in combat) to aim for the body than it is training them to hit each others weapons. It's a mixture between avoiding danger and making for a filmable choreography.

Rob Roy.
/nuff said.
If neeson could pull it off, others should be able to as well.

A stuffed toy, protecting you? I wouldn't bet my life on it.

John
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
A stuffed toy, protecting you? I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Depending on the caliber and range.

hellchicken
04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Rob Roy.
/nuff said.
If neeson could pull it off, others should be able to as well.

Sure it can be pulled off, it's just a question of time, money and talent. If all three are absent you get actors hitting each others' swords.

Jiminator
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I would not go on a range with a stuffed animal for protection at any distance, including a mile away. an interesting experiment is to gather a bunch of phone books and see what type of penetration a gun has. anyway people have fired weapons at a 45 degree angle into the sky. the bullets are still dangerous when they come down due to gravity because they have lots of momentum.

NutWrench
04-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Another one. Hollywood explosives have big shiny LEDs on em... because apparently it helps place secret bombs if they have big shiny LEDs on em. Especially if they're flashing. ;)

Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4v1hAnfy1I) :)

hellchicken
04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
I would not go on a range with a stuffed animal for protection at any distance, including a mile away. an interesting experiment is to gather a bunch of phone books and see what type of penetration a gun has.

The 5.56 cal NATO round for example can't even penetrate a car's windshield at close ranges, from a mile away that same bullet will not be lethal to someone at all, with or without the stuffed toy (unless it's some kind of insanely lucky headshot, through the eyesocket, maybe then).

anyway people have fired weapons at a 45 degree angle into the sky. the bullets are still dangerous when they come down due to gravity because they have lots of momentum.

Yeah, it's those same scientific rules that make the bullet flying in a 45 angle towards the earth lethal and the horizontaly flying bullet from a mile away not-so-lethal.

Anyway, my point was just that I have no problem with shootouts and impenetrable cover in films. Or video-games for that matter.

In real life there are circumstances where a sofa can save your life. Or a stuffed toy. ;)

Damien_Azreal
04-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, if you have one like this...

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/9/92/Batman-JokerRevolver3.JPG/500px-Batman-JokerRevolver3.JPG

Like how Batman unloads damn near everything he has out of his Batplane and misses the Joker.... then the Joker takes one shot and drops Batman out of the sky. :p

jimbob
04-29-2009, 03:57 PM

depending on that a sheet of paper will also protect me.

Jiminator
04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
there are no straight flying bullets, that only happens in video games. all bullets fly in an arc. scopes compensate by showing different adjustments based on distance. mythbusters had a segment on if bullets shot straight up can hurt you. The answer is no, however they have had a documented case of bullets being shot at an angle hurting people.

Ramen4ever
04-29-2009, 06:03 PM
The 5.56 cal Nato depends on what it's being shot from. And what a way to pick a crappy bullet lol.
I can't find it at the moment but I recall reading about a bullet type that was initially designed to pierce armored vehicles and then explode. The bullet's made by some european company. Finnish or something. I don't recall perfectly. Anyway, it may or not be banned but I know there was some controversy over it because of what a bullet like that would do if it hit a person. Which is really quite simply. It would blow your limb off or more. Now go hide behind your couch.:p

jimbob
04-29-2009, 06:17 PM
the only way to survive a gunbattle from behind a couch is if they fail to see your behind it.

hellchicken
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
The 5.56 cal Nato depends on what it's being shot from. And what a way to pick a crappy bullet lol.

yeah, I know that, and I know there's various types of that calibre.

I can't find it at the moment but I recall reading about a bullet type that was initially designed to pierce armored vehicles and then explode. [...]
It would blow your limb off or more. Now go hide behind your couch.:p

As long as that couch is padded with enough stuffed toys I should be fine. :p

Jokke_r
04-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Hiding behind anything but 1inch steel or two feet of wood won't do you any good against a 7.62

Damien_Azreal
04-29-2009, 06:56 PM
That is something that always pisses me off in movies.

A big shootout... every bodies unloading in every direction. The hero is hiding behind a wood table he flipped over, a thin... frail wood table. The bullets still go through the table... but magically always miss the hero crouched behind it.

hellchicken
04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Hiding behind anything but 1inch steel or two feet of wood won't do you any good against a 7.62

Well that's different. That is a real bullet. Usually fired from a real rifle.

So, remember kids, that example with the stuffed toy never EVER ever applies to the big bad man with the AK47. :D

That is something that always pisses me off in movies.

A big shootout... every bodies unloading in every direction. The hero is hiding behind a wood table he flipped over, a thin... frail wood table. The bullets still go through the table... but magically always miss the hero crouched behind it.

See what kind of difference wearing a good leather-jacket can make? :p

Nimoy
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4v1hAnfy1I) :)

Bombs come in all varieties. http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/wp-content/2007/02/boston.jpg

Jiminator
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
See what kind of difference wearing a good leather-jacket can make? :p
real super heroes don't need leather jackets, they go bare chested and bullets magically miss them. see arnold/stallone movies for proof... :)

Ramen4ever
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM
^
I think it's called the "western" the truth is.. the hero can's get shot. Because he's not actually in the same scene as the baddies shooting. Though he can shoot them.. because.. well he's the hero.

One of the ones I hate the most is how a sniper will miss by a few feet when they shoot at the pro. Even better is when the same sniper is shown taking out another character on the first shot. Yet somehow he's suddenly become a snipernoob and successfully shoots a shot that makes sure that the pro is warned about the snipers presence.
..oh what a classic.
Another good one is shooting people that are underwater. Even better is when they are like a meter or more down. If I'm not mistaken.. bullets stop being lethal after 3 ft or less. Which makes underwater gun battles even more funny.
In Hollywood, every protagonist can hold their breath long enough to perform whatever task they need to.

When you hear a strange noise from a dark location.. you should always check it out.

hellchicken
04-29-2009, 07:57 PM
When you hear a strange noise from a dark location.. you should always check it out.

Yes, also always loudly yell: "HELLO!! Is anyone there? HELLO, HELLO! Is anyone there?? I can see you!!"

I feel satisfied when these people die or get taken, because I know they deserved it. Darwin at work.

@Jiminator:

you actually dare NOT including Chuck Norris in your bare-chest-example?? :o

;)

04-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Bombs designed to save humanity will always malfunction and someone will have to heroically sacrifice their own life to set it off manually. :doh: Happens in almost every End-Of-The-World movie I can think of.

Jiminator
04-30-2009, 01:33 AM
most overused plot mechanism - bad guys catch good guy and lock him up - before they kill him. good guy manages to get saved/get away.

Ironside
04-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Or how about when the boss bad guy leaves right before they are supposed to kill the captured good guy. It's like the boss has better things to do then to ensure the end of the one who caused him so much grief.

Ramen4ever
04-30-2009, 02:27 AM
Or how about when the boss bad guy leaves right before they are supposed to kill the captured good guy. It's like the boss has better things to do then to ensure the end of the one who caused him so much grief.

Too true. It's really the james bond phenomena. What's even funnier is that the same bad guy that can't be bothered to stay till the end.. just so happened to stay and witness the end of a number of minor no name characters earlier in the film. Possibly even having a hand in it. But the pro's somehow not worthy. :D

The chick punch.
/nuff said.

sawn_off
04-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Everyone worth their weight in dirt knows that "six-shooter" is just a suggestion by the manufacturer. You can actually load any gun with anywhere from seven to a thousand rounds.

They are proned to jamming/sudden emptiness if you want to shoot someone important, however.

Ramen4ever
04-30-2009, 02:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBbmdJTLdE

/end thread.:D

Ps. No problem baby.:cool:

Jiminator
04-30-2009, 02:55 AM
lol - guns - all have infinite ammo. really, what do most cops carry, a couple of extra clips? for some 20 to 30 rounds? instead it is just continual shooting. automatics especially, empty a full clip each time the trigger is pressed. the criminals must carry a backpack of ammo with them.

Ironside
04-30-2009, 03:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBbmdJTLdE

/end thread.:D

Ps. No problem baby.:cool:

How did you find that? That was so lame. :o

hellchicken
04-30-2009, 04:10 AM
How did you find that? That was so lame. :o

That actually was just pure awesome! :D

OMG, I still can't believe what I saw.

Whoever came up with it is WINNAR. :p

Ironside
04-30-2009, 07:31 AM
That actually was just pure awesome! :D

OMG, I still can't believe what I saw.

Whoever came up with it is WINNAR. :p

OK yeah after a bit of thought that is pretty awesome. To us it just so fvcking gay its awesome but back then when they made it they were serious about it.

Ramen4ever
04-30-2009, 02:28 PM
It's hard ticket to hawaii. Look it up on youtube and you'll also find the death by razor frisbee clip.

A few other stupid things. When people have knives or nunchucks, they start twirling and flipping and all kinds of shit. It's like.. what are you doing? Showing off? just get on with it.

Or one of my other favorites is putting a white or American actor into a role that is totally not a typical white/american role. Like American Ninja. Or the Last Samurai.
lol. The last Aztec.. starring Kevin Bacon.

Altered Reality
04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
And what specific properties allows superman to fly? The "jump real high" just doesn't do it for me.....
I read in a Superman fansite that Superman can create and manipulate his own gravitational field. So, when he is flying he's actually going straight "down", headfirst, inside the gravitational field he created.

Jiminator
04-30-2009, 03:23 PM
uh, yeah...
As originally conceived and presented in his early stories, Superman's powers were relatively limited, consisting of superhuman strength that allowed him to lift a car over his head, run at amazing speeds and leap one-eighth of a mile, as well as incredibly tough skin that could be pierced by nothing less than an exploding artillery shell.[90] Siegel and Shuster compared his strength and leaping abilities to an ant and a grasshopper.[91] When making the cartoons, the Fleischer Brothers found it difficult to keep animating him leaping and requested to DC to change his ability to flying.[92] Writers gradually increased his powers to larger extents during the Silver Age, in which Superman could fly to other worlds and galaxies and even across universes with relative ease.[90] He would often fly across the solar system to stop meteors from hitting the Earth, or sometimes just to clear his head. Writers found it increasingly difficult to write Superman stories in which the character was believably challenged,[93] so DC made a series of attempts to rein the character in. The most significant attempt, John Byrne's 1986 rewrite, established several hard limits on his abilities: He barely survives a nuclear blast, and his space flights are limited by how long he can hold his breath.[94] Superman's power levels have again increased since then, with Superman currently possessing enough strength to hurl mountains, withstand nuclear blasts with ease, fly into the sun unharmed, and survive in the vacuum of outer space without oxygen.

Ramen4ever
04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Most comics are stupid. Especially long running comics with multiple authors that don't actually follow a coherent story. It just wonders from one fight to the next. That's American comics. It's stupidity alright.
That's why I'll take Manga. One long story line, and the good ones don't break their own rules. :p

Superman's probably got it the worst. Since he's got the whole invincible reputation to struggle with.

NutWrench
05-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Bombs come in all varieties. http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/wp-content/2007/02/boston.jpg

Not a bomb.

IwantMORE
05-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Godzilla is one that I like but there is a scene where helicopters are being chased through the city streets by Godzilla.

Now unless I am mistaken helicopters can go quite high and all they had to do was pull up above the sky line...

jimbob
05-01-2009, 08:37 AM
though a 50FT monster walking through manhattan was the pinnacle of realism.

05-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Speed 2. The whole movie was stupid, but it reached the zenith of stupidity when nobody noticed an ocean liner about to crash into a pier until it was right on top of them.

Go down to the beach, you see ships on the horizon. :doh:

Sang
05-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Now unless I am mistaken helicopters can go quite high and all they had to do was pull up above the sky line...

Yes but I figure going up with a helicopter would require the nose to be tilted a bit more upwards, thus reducing the speed of the helicopter, turning it and the crew into Godzilla food pretty quickly. That's just how I imagine it at least. Surely someone can prove me wrong :o

Ironside
05-02-2009, 05:34 AM
How about when they use to have the entire bullet and its casing be the projectile that killed someone?

Klaus Kinski
05-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Godzilla is one that I like but there is a scene where helicopters are being chased through the city streets by Godzilla.

Godzilla is a terrible mess of non-logic. I couldn't stop laughing in the theater. At the director.
What I loved the most about the movie is Godzilla's stealthyness, how a creature big enough to bite a helicopter into pieces (without harming itself!) could hide in New York and lay unnoticed eggs in a basketballstadium. If Emmerich's Godzilla was only mansized, it could hide in your ass without you noticing it.

hellchicken
05-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Godzilla is a terrible mess of non-logic. I couldn't stop laughing in the theater. At the director.

The Nostalgia Critic reviews Godzilla (http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/2685-godzilla-1998).

I agree entirely.

Ramen4ever
05-03-2009, 12:39 AM
How about when they use to have the entire bullet and its casing be the projectile that killed someone?

lol... just lol. :D

Inanimate Carbon Rod
05-03-2009, 01:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_X5C6e3ZeY

05-03-2009, 08:42 AM
The Nostalgia Critic reviews Godzilla (http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/2685-godzilla-1998).

I agree entirely.That guy sounds like Miss Piggy. :D

Reminded me of another one when he mentioned Independence Day....

A lowly fighter pilot knows of a hidden military base in the middle of the desert, but THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DOESN'T?!?!? :doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_X5C6e3ZeYLook out for Russell Crowe at 0:24. :D

IwantMORE
05-03-2009, 09:39 AM

I agree entirely.

God that guy is even more annoying than the movie ;)

05-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Under Siege. Awesome movie except for two things...

1. The chick. She goes from blubbering mess to Rambo in about five minutes.
2. The microwave oven bomb. The timer goes off just before it blows up (which would probably be very random), and by amazing coincidence goes off when the bad guys just happen to be in the galley. :doh:

crunchy superman
06-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Another one. Hollywood explosives have big shiny LEDs on em... because apparently it helps place secret bombs if they have big shiny LEDs on em. Especially if they're flashing.

Which beep loudly, of course. ;)

I was watching some cheezy flicks over the weekend involving bomb squads that made me think of this thread.

Apparently there must be a bad guy bomb making handbook, because if we're to believe the guys that disarm them, the colors of the wires always serve the same function regardless of the bomber who built the device.

Also, cutting a wire will stop a timer. Not turn it off or reset it, but pause it like a stopwatch.

Joel
06-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Tomorrow Never Dies:

the first time I saw this I spotted the mistake. Remember the scene where Pierce Brosnan and Michelle Yeoh are handcuffed and scale down the side of the large building? Once they are hanging off the side of the building, they kick the glass in on one of the windows and swing themselves inside the building through the window. But, there's an issue with this. If you watch closely, the window they smash through is partitioned with a bar in the middle. Yet, they both simultaneously smash through both side of the window handcuffed.

Kronx
06-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I got around to watching The Punisher (2004) over the weekend. If that movie had been made in 1985 with Stallone, we'd be quoting it. Unfortunately, since it was made 20 years later, it has quite a few dumb scenes in it. There are really too many to mention them all.

My favorite though is this. Frank Castle is thought dead after bad guys murder his family. He heads back to town and walks up to a press conference the Feds are holding. He says they suck for not arresting anyone and walks off.

Hey Frank... why not hang out and, oh I don't know, tell them who shot you and blew you up, seeing as you're the only witness and all? Better yet, why not throw on an I'm Frank Castle t-shirt so those bad guys who will probably be watching TV can find you easily.

Other things like... a witchdoctor nurses Castle back to help over a few months, as evidenced by Castle's awesome Castaway beard. Yet, the witchdoctor is clean shaven. Did Castle refuse to shave? Did the witchdoctor not make a trip to the store after find a guy shot the hell up? Why didn't we get a music montage of training?

It gets better. Castle decides he doesn't need crutches anymore and not only walks just fine, but starts carrying stuff. Weeeee.

Like I said, this movie is all kinds of 80s awesome.

06-20-2009, 07:34 AM
I went to the mall with a friend today and we were talking about the mall scenes in Terminator 2, which got me thinking of another stupid scene: Bystanders who get in the way in shootouts.

In T2 a mall worker is standing between Arnie and the T-1000, Arnie fires off a round from the shotgun, the T-1000 staggers back a bit and then starts firing back... and the guy is still standing there! :doh: If that was me, as soon as the guns came out I'd be hugging the tiles so hard you'd need a spatula to get me up.

Same thing in Ronin when they have the shootout in the street. Gun battle's been going on for nearly a minute and you've got bystanders popping up like meerkats simply to get their asses blown off.

Unnecessary AND stupid. :doh:

Joel
06-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Ahh, speaking of Terminator...here's something from Terminator 4 I found pretty dumb:

John: don't you remember me? Like "husta la vista" and all that?

Terminator: that was a different model

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

The sad thing about this is that he was actually serious and they were using it to explain why Arnold's character doesn't remember...come on!

Tetsuro
06-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Ahh, speaking of Terminator...here's something from Terminator 4 I found pretty dumb:

The sad thing about this is that he was actually serious and they were using it to explain why Arnold's character doesn't remember...come on!
That IS stupid. Arnold's character DIED at the end of the previous movies. How the f*** could he remember!?

hellchicken
06-21-2009, 07:53 AM

That's from Terminator 3.

NutWrench
06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Evil supervillians always put digital timers on their bombs, which helps the hero figure out how much time he has left. If I were an evil supervillian, I would set all my bomb's to explode much earlier than the time indicated:

"15 . . . 14 . . . * BOOM *"

Joel
06-22-2009, 10:07 AM
That's from Terminator 3.

Typo :)

jimbob
06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Evil supervillians always put digital timers on their bombs, which helps the hero figure out how much time he has left. If I were an evil supervillian, I would set all my bomb's to explode much earlier than the time indicated:

"15 . . . 14 . . . * BOOM *"

i`d make a fake bomb, slightly hide that one, then as the real bomb is set off have a loud noise saing "haha sucker! fooled you!" then have it explode!

and also make the bomb not bomb shaped but something more obscure, like a teddy bear or something, nobody expects exploding teddy bears.

06-23-2009, 05:38 AM
A bit like The Fifth Element. :)

Kronx
06-25-2009, 11:22 AM
In Transformers Revenge of the Fallen

Sam dies and goes to robot heaven where they tell him the Matrix of Leadership can only be earned. He comes back to life and stabs Optimus Prime with the Matrix (which reforms from fairy dust). Optimus comes back to life. Jetfire tears out his heart and gives it to Optimus who becomes a Jet-Truck, or as I call him Awesomus Prime, and destroys the bad guys in about twenty seconds. Weeeeeeee. Go Hollywood go!

06-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Thought of another one: Broken Arrow

The bad guys go up to some elderly campers, in a scene that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot, and blow them away without flinching.

Then when they come across the hero - the ONE person who might stop their plans - they "play with him" and just shoot around him. They even admit doing it! :doh:

A lot of action movies do things like that, especially Bond movies, but they normally don't spell it out like that.

prophecy holder
06-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Sam dies and goes to robot heaven where they tell him the Matrix of Leadership can only be earned. He comes back to life and stabs Optimus Prime with the Matrix (which reforms from fairy dust). Optimus comes back to life. Jetfire tears out his heart and gives it to Optimus who becomes a Jet-Truck, or as I call him Awesomus Prime, and destroys the bad guys in about twenty seconds. Weeeeeeee. Go Hollywood go!

I thought that was silly as well, only part of the movie I didn't like and will most likely fast forward when I get it on DVD.

07-01-2009, 07:03 AM

Optimus who becomes a Jet-Truck, or as I call him Awesomus Prime I must be the only one who thought that scene was pretty sweet. :o

Tetsuro
07-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I must be the only one who thought that scene was pretty sweet. :o
I haven't seen it and that actually sounds more awesome than stupid. :o

QuiGonJ
07-14-2009, 08:11 AM
It might have been sweet, but

in the dream, the reason the Matrix reforms from fairy dust is that Sam is told "the Matrix must be earned, it cannot be taken." Okay, cool. But doesn't that mean the Fallen could never in a million years be able to use the thing?

And while we're on the subject, how come they didn't use the shard from the All-Spark to revive Optimus instead of messing about with Jetfire?

hellchicken
07-14-2009, 08:46 AM
It might have been sweet, but

in the dream, the reason the Matrix reforms from fairy dust is that Sam is told "the Matrix must be earned, it cannot be taken." Okay, cool. But doesn't that mean the Fallen could never in a million years be able to use the thing?

And while we're on the subject, how come they didn't use the shard from the All-Spark to revive Optimus instead of messing about with Jetfire?

I thought about that and IMO Sam had to earn the Matrix like any other, lesser life-form except the Prime's, which are already configured to be able to use the Matrix. Why should the Fallen have to earn it if he was one of the original something-robots that were using the Matrix frequently before?!

As for the Allspark and reviving Optimus, I think the characters just didn't know that was possible or didn't know how it was done, at least at that time, shortly after Optimus death, when the groups split up and went in different directions anyway.
Also, remember that the Decepticons had this Doctor-Robot who oversaw the whole reviving of Megatron. Sure, the Autobots have Ratchet, but by the time they were back at their HQ there wasn't a way to meet up with Sam anymore and get his Allspark-shard.

Anyway, while I think RotF is a POS compared to the first film and has more plot holes than swiss cheese, still, IMO it doesn't take much imagination to fill in the blanks and actually make the whole story work. The cartoons weren't much different in this regard.

A good film though wouldn't require you to fill in the blanks as much as in RotF. :rolleyes:

wayskobfssae
07-14-2009, 09:50 AM
and also make the bomb not bomb shaped but something more obscure, like a teddy bear or something, nobody expects exploding teddy bears.

This sounds very Batman for some reason.

Tang Lung
07-17-2009, 09:52 AM
The Nostalgia Critic reviews Godzilla

I agree entirely.

God I wish there was a feauture where you could headbutt people over streaming video.

I did just watch Independence day again for the first time in years. Wow it was uncomfortable, so corny but not in a good way.

10-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Caught the end of Speed on TV the other night and thought of another one.

The subway train crashes through the road and comes to a stop. Jack and Annie, glad to be alive, start having a snog in the upturned carriage. Bystanders peer in, and start taking photo's and laugh at the apparently cute and very humorous scene.

Yeah, just ignore the dead train driver only a few feet away. :rolleyes:

Orochi Avlis
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM
That IS stupid. Arnold's character DIED at the end of the previous movies. How the f*** could he remember!?
He was probably was aware that another terminator took care of him, and just said that so he gets the idea that he isn't the same robot as the one in T2. It's still plausible dialogue.

T4 has bigger gaps:
How do the machines know that John Conner would be important at that point in time? He's isn't very high up yet. So why do the machines care?
And why is Kyle Reese on the machine's hit list? That makes no sense. They wouldn't know he was his father. John's mother kept no records of him.
Why is there a console in the machine capital?
Why do the machine use retinal scanners?
Where are all the guards at the Skynet captial?

Hudson
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
The movie "Virus" starring Jamie Lee Curtis.

The whole thing.

:D

FullMetalJacket
10-19-2009, 02:45 PM
The movie "Virus" starring Jamie Lee Curtis.

The whole thing.

:D

QFT. It was terrible.

wayskobfssae
10-19-2009, 02:53 PM

The subway train crashes through the road and comes to a stop. Jack and Annie, glad to be alive, start having a snog in the upturned carriage. Bystanders peer in, and start taking photo's and laugh at the apparently cute and very humorous scene.

I'm pretty sure Speed was the first time I felt like I had actually watched a bad movie.

Paroxysm
10-19-2009, 04:14 PM

A dead train driver is just standard foreplay for a lot of people you damn prude.

Jiminator
10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I frequently rescue women with the expectation of sex the same night and a loving lifelong relationship after that. I kiss the girl when that happens so the onlookers can have something to be happy about, to take their minds off of the people that just died (sometimes nearby), the blown up cars, buildings and citywide mayhem.

Paroxysm
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Cheaper than taking em out to dinner AMIRITE?!

Ironside
10-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Watched the Blair witch project.......OK the F'ing witch was never even shown in the whole movie, all it needed was a glimpse of her at the very end but no! WTF? I wanted to see her dammit!!!

Paroxysm
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
You kinda missed the point there didn't you.

wayskobfssae
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Watched the Blair witch project.......OK the F'ing witch was never even shown in the whole movie, all it needed was a glimpse of her at the very end but no! WTF? I wanted to see her dammit!!!

I wanted to see something more than what essentially looked like the first time me and a couple of my friends went LARPing.

Ironside
10-19-2009, 10:25 PM
You kinda missed the point there didn't you.

What that she is in the spirit world and therefore cant be seen? that sux balls :mryuck:

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

My wife recons that the girl in the movie was really the psychotic one and lured her friends out in the woods to kill them, haha that is great but next time i will ask her nicely to at least finish watching the movie. :p

Paroxysm
10-19-2009, 11:59 PM
What makes you think the witch even exists to be shown?

Ironside
10-20-2009, 09:46 AM
What makes you think the witch even exists to be shown?
What are you talking about? Have you watched the movie?

Orochi Avlis
10-20-2009, 12:19 PM
What are you talking about? Have you watched the movie?
The point was to keep you guessing. Does she exist, or not? Could it have been just some wacko in the woods screwing with them?
The point of the movie wasn't about the witch per se, but trying to figure out what happened to them.
A person's imagination is far more terrifying then anything that any movie can do.

Damien_Azreal
10-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Either way, the Blair Witch Project was laughably bad. I couldn't believe all the hype and praise it received.

"The scariest movie since The Exorcist"... my ass.

Jiminator
10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
eh, it was made by 4 people along with a couple of exras and a couple of cameras. what really were you expecting?

Damien_Azreal
10-20-2009, 02:45 PM
eh, it was made by 4 people along with a couple of exras and a couple of cameras. what really were you expecting?

With as much praise as it got, I was at least expecting it to be good. ;)

Ironside
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
The point was to keep you guessing. Does she exist, or not? Could it have been just some wacko in the woods screwing with them?
The point of the movie wasn't about the witch per se, but trying to figure out what happened to them.
A person's imagination is far more terrifying then anything that any movie can do.

No dude, the point of the movie was that there is a witch in the woods who kills people. You dont have to figure that out. They even added the word witch in the title to help you out on what is going on. On the first night when they heard the footsteps and hackleing I didnt have to figure anything out to know what was saposed to be happening. On the night when their missing friend was screaming out in the woods there was no mystery what was happening and nothing that I had to figure out. It is a witch movie, reread the title.

My bitch about this movie and what I think is stupid is that they dont show the witch at the end. So the stupidest scene in that movie was at the end...where the climax was the dude standing in the corner, they should of showed a glimpse of a real scary witch right at that point and then have the camera drop.

Damien_Azreal
10-20-2009, 05:58 PM
No, the point of the movie was a couple kids go into some woods that are "believed" to be haunted. They are making a documentary about the rumored haunting and Blair Witch in the woods.
It was the Blair Witch Project. A project to film a documentary about an old rumor of a witch.

The movie is about some kids loosing their grip on reality, at no point does the movie ever confirm that the Blair Witch does exist. Just that the kids lost it out there.
It's supposed to be suspenseful, to make you wonder... is there a witch? Or did they just loose their minds?

wayskobfssae
10-20-2009, 09:02 PM
With as much praise as it got, I was at least expecting it to be good. ;)

It was essentially a hoax stunt. Before that film was released in theatres, it was presented as actual footage. Sci-FI Channel even did a documentary based on it. The film probably wouldn't have gone anywhere if everyone wasn't convinced that it was all true.

Paroxysm
10-20-2009, 10:57 PM
No dude, the point of the movie was that there is a witch in the woods who kills people.

You're not watching hard enough.

They even added the word witch in the title to help you out on what is going on.

Apparently you're not reading hard enough either.

Ironside
10-21-2009, 06:24 PM
OK you guys have too much time on your hands or your over analyzing this movie. To me its a witch movie and she dose exist in some sort of spirit realm that can cross over to our realm out in them woods. Thats about as much thought that I am willing to put into it.

Paroxysm
10-21-2009, 07:40 PM
It's a pretty simple movie. You've invented elements and over complicated it. Kids investigate local legend. Kids succumb to paranoia. The deaths contribute to legend which may or may not be true.

Duke's New Chainsaw
10-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Then who were all those kids banging on their tent. :eek:

wayskobfssae
10-21-2009, 10:00 PM

A group of hooligans from the slums who call themselves "The Wind."

Damien_Azreal
10-21-2009, 10:49 PM

Pissed off forest critters. ;)