3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non 3DR Game Discussion (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Doom 4 Thread Part 2 (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34847)

Joe Siegler 03-04-2009 10:38 AM

Doom 4 Thread Part 2

I closed the old Doom 4 thread for two reasons.

1) It was pretty close to my usual cutoff threshold anyway.

2) It had de-evolved into a thread that had little to do with "Doom 4". It had turned into the Crysis & Rage thread. THAT IS NOT WHAT IT IS FOR. STICK TO THE TOPIC, OR THE BANHAMMER WILL HAVE TO COME OUT. This is directed squarely at the people who ran rampant with off topic discussions at the back end of the thread. Don't discuss this point in the thread, either.

Nihilanth 03-04-2009 02:32 PM

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2

I feel somewhat guilty, because it is me who brought the Rage graphics versus other games subject into the thread. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor
Aw, is that a way to treat an X-Com fan? :(

Oh, yes, you're right. :( X-COM fans should stick together. :) BTW, Nwonknu Ymene naht retteb si DTFT. :p:censored:

On topic, just a little heads-up about what we've been able to gather lately.

* Brad Hawkins revealed that he's been a motion-capture for DOOM 4. id did not provide him with details but he said that "(...) we are dealing with a post war/post apocalyptic event that civilians and military are fighting for their survival."

* id wants to make sure the game is out of early development before taking it to the publisher. However they expect to ink a publisher deal this year. After that, media build-up should start.

About the release date, Hawkins mentioned in Feb 2009 that there are another 2 years of development ahead while earlier id noted that the perfect scenario is to have DOOM 4 out a year after Rage.

The best bet for DOOM 4 info and / or media is QuakeCon 2009, 161 days to go.

Klaus Kinski 03-04-2009 05:04 PM

I hope the BFG fires green balls of death. I loved the green one.

They better have a BFG. Like the old one.

slapnutz 03-04-2009 05:29 PM

My only question is does ID have 2 teams working or each game or what?

Nihilanth 03-04-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slapnutz (Post 836988)
My only question is does ID have 2 teams working or each game or what?

Yes. One is working on Rage, second, newly built, headed by Kevin Cloud is working on DOOM 4.

peoplessi 03-04-2009 07:16 PM

It's about time for id Software to deliver to their standards - many felt Doom 3 was bit of a shortcoming. Good, I liked it, but I can't say I wasn't expecting a lot more from it.

Quake 4 was another miss. That wasn't id Software's, but still.

Damien_Azreal 03-04-2009 07:19 PM

Hopefully by putting Kevin Cloud in charge of Doom 4 with John Mulky as the lead designer on the title... they can manage to deliver a top notch game.

But it's still far to early to tell.

ZuljinRaynor 03-04-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplessi (Post 837036)
It's about time for id Software to deliver to their standards - many felt Doom 3 was bit of a shortcoming. Good, I liked it, but I can't say I wasn't expecting a lot more from it..

People had wierd expectations. They were right on the money with what they were aiming for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplessi (Post 837036)
Quake 4 was another miss. That wasn't id Software's, but still.

Quake 4 was another hit. It may have been Raven, but still it was a perfect Quake 2 follow up.

peoplessi 03-04-2009 07:44 PM

I think majority, reviewers and gamers disagree. Especially the competitive crowd on Quake 4, and longtime fans of Doom, but you are entitled to your opinion :)

ZuljinRaynor 03-04-2009 08:17 PM

Doom 3 has 86% on Gamerankings. Also Quake 4 has 81% average on Gamerankings. 80s = good. There goes your majority of reviewers.

And there was no reason to try and port Quake 3 to Quake 4 that's why it failed competitively. They failed at porting it.

d3ad connection 03-04-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplessi (Post 837054)
longtime fans of Doom

I've played DOOM 1/2 all my life, and DOOM 3 was still fun for me :confused:

Kien 03-05-2009 07:08 AM

Quake 4 was good game. :)

predefined 03-05-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d3ad connection (Post 837065)
I've played DOOM 1/2 all my life, and DOOM 3 was still fun for me :confused:

Same here. Actually i played doom3 4 times...just feels like a right, good looking and fun shooter to me.

peoplessi 03-05-2009 08:28 AM

It's not that hard to read what my original post said, if you read it again you might notice it. I didn't say Doom 3 is a _bad_ game, many just felt it wasn't as good as it could have been. I enjoyed Doom 3, as I said, but it wasn't just what I expected of it. And if you read those reviews, you will notice the same thing. I didn't say nothing about scores, so bringing that to the table as counter-argument is bit silly.

The question, did Doom 3 fill your expectations, and be just what you thought it to be?

Quake 4 was bit mediocre shooter, nothing fancy. But the same thing was with both previous quakes, but MP was great - that wasn't the case with Quake 4 - until Quake 4 Max was released.

LadiesAndGentlemen 03-05-2009 09:08 AM

Doom 3 would have been great if Far Cry and Half-Life 2 hadn't been released at the same time. It's that simple.

predefined 03-05-2009 09:23 AM

Doom 3 was still great even with those titles. Those other 2 titles where also great in there own respect. All 3 combined was a really great game experience for me. But all different from each other.

eX10DeaD 03-05-2009 10:03 AM

@d3ad connection:
True. I eagerly anticipated Doom 3 since Mac Expo demonstration 2001, known that actually 2000 Carmack announced the game. I regulary visited the famous doom3.dk and were very interested in the game's progress and eventually, the leak late 2002 (E3 Demo 'Alpha'). While i somehow liked the artistic style of the later Doom 3 and the actual release 2004, I personally found the early artistic direction to be more disturbing and fitting to the franchise.

Nevermind, I was not let down, Doom 3 was great and admittedly very different from doom1/2/95. Those who read the somewhen released doom 1 draft know why.

So I guess that Doom 4 will continue Doom 3's way on earth - id Software never stated Doom 3 to be financial- and artistic-wise a failure so why rethink the concept for the sequel? Probably those who in favor liked the first dooms more won't be pleased with Doom 4 too. That's all.

peoplessi 03-05-2009 10:07 AM

I think id Software themselves admitted that the closet-scare-element wasn't really working. More in the veins of the series, whilst not making it too camp.

Kien 03-05-2009 12:27 PM

Make Doom games shooty, not scary. ;)

Altered Reality 03-05-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplessi (Post 837054)
I think majority, reviewers and gamers disagree. Especially the competitive crowd on Quake 4, and longtime fans of Doom, but you are entitled to your opinion :)

The self-proclaimed "longtime fans of Doom" (who really are just hopeless nostalgics who bash new things just because they are not old :doh:) are NEVER gonna be happy about a new Doom, UNLESS it's based on sprites and runs at a resolution of 320x200, which of course would result in normal people hating it. :mad:

peoplessi 03-05-2009 01:06 PM

Why do people have to read, and interpret everything just the opposite what is written? If you had read the whole post you wouldn't have posted such a reply :doh: I said, _I enjoyed Doom 3_ but it quite wasn't what I expected.

Nihilanth 03-05-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predefined (Post 837320)
Doom 3 was still great even with those titles. Those other 2 titles where also great in there own respect. (...) But all different from each other.

That pretty much sums it up for me. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eX10DeaD (Post 837330)
I personally found the early artistic direction to be more disturbing and fitting to the franchise.

I must be missing something. I did play DOOM 3 Alpha and I'd say it's pretty much exactly the same as the retail in terms of artistic direction.

On another note I have to say that DOOM 3 features one of the most incredible level architecture I've ever seen. I mean, all those machines doing their job, basically no reused spaces (unlike RoE) or machines, it's awesome but I guess I'm one of the very few to really admire it because most people tend to think it's boring and repetetive. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by eX10DeaD (Post 837330)
So I guess that Doom 4 will continue Doom 3's way on earth - id Software never stated Doom 3 to be financial- and artistic-wise a failure so why rethink the concept for the sequel? Probably those who in favor liked the first dooms more won't be pleased with Doom 4 too. That's all.

Wrong, like peoplessi said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shacknews | 01.08.2008
During an interview with Shacknews, id Software president John Carmack described Doom 4 as being "significantly different" than Doom 3.

When asked whether the game will be rooted in the horror genre, Carmack indicated that it will instead focus more on pure action elements a la Doom 2.

"One of the things that I come to in my limited contributions to the whole Doom 4 design process is, it has to still be you beating down the bad guys," said Carmack.

"It has to be a triumph of heavy weaponry over demonic forces in some way, and you have to be blowing demons all to hell all around you, and it's a more positive side of things there."

Carmack explained that he found some of the complaints of Doom 3's brand of horror to be "completely valid," saying that the "contrived nature of monsters hiding in a closet" and the extreme darkness were two things that caused the company to cancel its game Darkness and begin production of Rage.

Heh, that always makes me impatient while waiting for that game. ;)

ZuljinRaynor 03-05-2009 02:49 PM

Me too Nihilanth, cause it just sounds like it's going to be Doom 2-2. :D Though I have not expectations for it, just that it's going to be by id, it's called Doom and I love all the Doom games by id. :D

ZuljinRaynor 03-05-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy-vercetti (Post 837589)
tried to be a more stealth atmospheric game

:doh:

Echo Black 03-05-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy-vercetti (Post 837589)
Doom 3 on the other hand, tried to be more than that, tried to copy system shock 2, tried to be a more stealth atmospheric game, and failed miserably at that, it was long, drawn out, boring, and tedious.

How can you even compare Doom 3 to System Shock 2? They might be on the same genre and share some setting similarities, but they play nothing alike. Also, Doom 3, "stealth atmospheric"? What? :brickwall:

Klaus Kinski 03-05-2009 07:48 PM

Tommy, you played Doom 3, right?

Damien_Azreal 03-05-2009 07:56 PM

I was gonna ask the same question.

The Deadsider 03-06-2009 02:39 AM

I agree with Tommy, Doom 3 was the worst Flight Simulator I've ever played.

Sayantan 03-06-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihilanth (Post 837427)
That pretty much sums it up for me. :)

Same here. No matter what people say, Doom3 was a different treatment all together.

@ Tommy: Are you out of your mind??

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Deadsider (Post 837723)
I agree with Tommy, Doom 3 was the worst Flight Simulator I've ever played.

ROTFLMAO!! :p

BloodWolf806 03-06-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shacknews
when asked whether the game will be rooted in the horror genre, carmack indicated that it will instead focus more on pure action elements a la doom 2.

:D:D. Epic win.

Reaper 03-06-2009 07:58 PM

I just hope it's dark. I want it to actually look like hell. A heavy focus on blacks and reds and such (not completely one palette - just a focus).

Babe 03-06-2009 09:52 PM

Without trying to go too much offtopic, for people who like Doom I and II for what it is like, monsters and non stop shooting, try the game Painkiller. With the game now being sold in many places for only 10 bucks, Painkiller is pure worth in Gold. Believe me, invest your 10 bucks in Painkiller if you are an FPS fan, and you will never ever regret :thumbsup: .

Phait 03-07-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper (Post 838008)
I just hope it's dark. I want it to actually look like hell.

Been there before? :D

Klaus Kinski 03-07-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy-vercetti (Post 837832)
Well, what i meant was that Doom 3 ripped off their audiologs and the general way to tell the backstory through them from System Shock 2. And that it tried to be more like a Resident Evil game, instead of the signature action fragfest Doom 1 and 2 were. That's what i meant, sorry, i didnt mean to say doom3 was trying to be something like Thief. ;)

The game doesn't play at all like Resident Evil either. There's no survival aspect in its gameplay. It's a pretty straight forward, room cleaning shooter like Painkiller is, just less humorous.
And I don't think you could consider using the same tools to tell the story as SS2 did ripping it off. It's simply a device to bring the story across and SS2 isn't particularly unique there either. It's like saying all games that tell the story through screens with text narration and pictures between gameplay rip off Wolfenstein 3D.

Kien 03-07-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phait (Post 838063)
Been there before? :D

Hell should be red and bright and firey. Not dark. :P

prophecy holder 03-07-2009 12:31 PM

Doom 3 was a fun game but it manage to get boring after an hour or two of playing. I just hope Doom 4 is gonna be more open and not just enclosed corridoors.

Nacho 03-07-2009 01:35 PM

I really liked the ghost moments in Doom 3, but for me, there was too few of those creepy moments to actually keep me creeped out. However, with the announcement that Doom 4 will be more like the first two those ghost moments probably will be no more. :(

Damien_Azreal 03-07-2009 03:37 PM

A mention of Doom 4 towards the end.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrai...p=50&ch=2&sd=1