3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Popular Media Forum (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Dredd (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38758)

Kit 08-12-2012 08:58 AM

Dredd

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproducti...png?1343940232

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqqgrUna28w

Saw the trailer for this before The Amazing Spider-man. Seems to be a similar concept to the recently released The Raid and it looks pretty good. :)

Clearly they're trying to emulate the grittiness of the Dark Knight, but I think this is a case where a film has clearly benefited from trying to be more grounded.

Crosma 08-13-2012 03:38 AM

Re: Dredd

Ah, this reminds me of the 3DRUBB glory days.

It looks ace!

Kalki 08-13-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosma (Post 959097)
Ah, this reminds me of the 3DRUBB glory days.

Haha, yeah. :D

The movie looks alright. Hope there's more to the story than cops battling their way to the top of a building. Checked to see if a low budget was the reason and according to wikipedia it's $45 million. Could end up being another Doom.

Damien_Azreal 08-13-2012 09:24 PM

I think it looks awesome.
And I like the idea of Dredd trying to fight to the top of a tower completely controlled by a strong criminal element.

Inanimate Carbon Rod 08-13-2012 09:28 PM

Usually it's low budget B movies that have an entire movie in tower.

It can be done well, but the trailer was less than exciting. Coupled with the fact that it is Dredd 3D and not just Dredd - it is almost certainly a stinker.

Damien_Azreal 08-14-2012 07:16 AM

Personally, I think it actually looks good. And it already looks way better then Sly's Dredd.
And I love Sly's Dredd as a guilty pleasure.

Kit 08-15-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod (Post 959106)
Usually it's low budget B movies that have an entire movie in tower.

Yes, it does look somewhat low budget and the setting, Mega city, doesn't exactly look very mega. :D

Regarding Stallones Judge Dredd, I thought they got the costumes and the art direction in general right, but the rest was a mess.

I did however like that they included the ABC warrior though. :)

Paroxysm 08-26-2012 06:25 PM

Well it is low budget so I think they've done pretty damn well. Initial reviews have been extremely positive too. I'm looking forward to it.

hellchicken 10-11-2012 02:22 PM

So has no one else seen this movie? Apparently this movie is not making it's money back at the box office in the USA, which I find very disappointing.

But I love it, it was so much fun sitting in the theatre and watching Dredd 3D, I may have been as joyous as I probably would have been back in the day if I hadn't been too young to see RoboCop in theatres.
If only the ending could have been a bit more spectacular (by all means, it was actually rather anticlimatic) and if the main antagonist Ma-Ma (Lena Headey, who also plays Queen Cersei Lannister in A Game of Thrones) was more fleshed out and given more screen-time the film would actually be flawless for me. And I realize there are official supplementals on the internet, but the film would have been better for it.
And I know the comparisons to RoboCop may confuse some people; it's just that everything about this film oozes of that same character, that same tone, that same vibe I get from the Paul Verhoeven films of the good old days.

Dredd 3D is violent, relentless, well written, stylish, violent, action-packed, well paced, violent, engaging, well performed and overall well made, technically and creatively.

Also, it is relentlessly violent.

And very, very fun.

Paroxysm 10-11-2012 08:06 PM

Comes out in Australia next week.

Dan the Man 10-12-2012 03:34 PM

I watched it, enjoyed it, watched 'Looper' the week after and decided on reflection that 'Dredd 3D' was the better film. Just sayin'.

Thief 10-21-2012 02:46 PM

Just saw it. Pretty awesome, though at times the helmet looks so dinky, other times it looks perfect. Think it has something to do with the "X" on the visor, which isn't on Stallone's.

hellchicken 10-24-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 959555)
Just saw it. Pretty awesome, though at times the helmet looks so dinky, other times it looks perfect. Think it has something to do with the "X" on the visor, which isn't on Stallone's.

Yeah, it bugged me, too, sometimes. It kind of appears as if the "x" could obstruct his vision. Doesn't seem too practical to design a helmet like that, but oh well, not a dealbreaker.

Btw., Looper is a fantastic film, too, but it's on a completely opposite spectrum to Dredd. Apples and Oranges, IMO.

Commando Nukem 11-14-2012 06:02 AM

Does make me laugh, all this talk about "the movie only taking place in a tower" like that's a bad thing. There's a huge New York Badge wielding elephant in this room.

*COUGH*
http://www.howdoesthemovieend.com/im...s/die_hard.jpg

*COUGH*

Ya know what i'm saying?

That poster totally feels like the Duke 3D poster to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I loves me some Urban. Even in crap (DOOM) he turns a good performance.

Paroxysm 11-21-2012 10:34 PM

The movie is great so continue looking forward to it.

Commando Nukem 12-26-2012 05:54 PM

Saw it, loved it.

Damien_Azreal 01-08-2013 11:59 PM

Just watched it...
Fecking awesome. Such a great action film. Extremely brutal and graphically violent, but... very focused and it had some great pacing.

Karl was awesome as Dredd. He nailed the character.

Riddlewire 01-09-2013 03:08 AM

I liked it.

It performed poorly in theaters. I suspect the marketing will be blamed, but I'm not sure what they could have done differently. It's a survival action story. People ought to know that genre pretty well (Die Hard, Riddick). It didn't open against any major franchises. Did the R-rating really hurt it that much? Maybe they should have put some effeminate vampires in it.

hellchicken 01-13-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddlewire (Post 960658)
I liked it.

It performed poorly in theaters. I suspect the marketing will be blamed, but I'm not sure what they could have done differently.

It could have been actually marketed (as opposed to not at all).

Quote:

It's a survival action story. People ought to know that genre pretty well (Die Hard, Riddick). It didn't open against any major franchises. Did the R-rating really hurt it that much? Maybe they should have put some effeminate vampires in it.
It opened against Liam Neeson beating up bearded ethnic folk in Taken 2.

Getting the DVD for Dredd soon, but man, I would really love to see it in theatres one more time. Was the only 3D film I ever liked.

Riddlewire 01-13-2013 03:23 PM

Taken 2 opened two weeks after Dredd.

Here was Dredd's opening weekend:

1 End of Watch $13,152,683
2 House at the End of The Street $12,287,234
3 Trouble with the Curve $12,162,040
4 Finding Nemo(3D) $9,641,474 (2)
5 Resident Evil: Retribution $6,701,803 (2)
6 Dredd $6,278,491

hellchicken 01-13-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddlewire (Post 960679)
Taken 2 opened two weeks after Dredd.

Here was Dredd's opening weekend:

1 End of Watch $13,152,683
2 House at the End of The Street $12,287,234
3 Trouble with the Curve $12,162,040
4 Finding Nemo(3D) $9,641,474 (2)
5 Resident Evil: Retribution $6,701,803 (2)
6 Dredd $6,278,491

Ah, yes, I meant over where I live it opened against Taken 2. At least that's the film everyone went and saw instead of Dredd.

Damien_Azreal 01-14-2013 08:26 AM

After Sly's horrid Dredd film nobody had any trust in this one.
That's all I heard from people when I tried to talk about it at work. "The last one was terrible, why would this one be any better..."

Well, maybe because Karl Urban is fecking awesome. ;)

ZuljinRaynor 01-14-2013 08:20 PM

Stallone one rocks. :mad: It's so bad, that it is good! Like the game. :D

Plus, look at your avatar. :p

KO Gilligan 01-14-2013 09:00 PM

Stallone was awesome in Dredd. Just like Mel Gibson, David Carradine and Arnold back in the day. Mad Max, Deathrace 2000, Conan the Barbarian, and Judge Dredd will always sit together on my VHS set of awesome action films. The're all laughable, especially by today's standards, but think about JAWS, most of those old movies were goofy.

Had a real bad time even playing the Dredd game. It's at it's core, it is dysfunctional.

crunchy superman 01-14-2013 09:08 PM

New Dredd was awesome! Urban was solid, as expected.

Damien_Azreal 01-14-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor (Post 960691)
Stallone one rocks. :mad: It's so bad, that it is good! Like the game. :D

Plus, look at your avatar. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by KO Gilligan (Post 960692)
Stallone was awesome in Dredd. Just like Mel Gibson, David Carradine and Arnold back in the day. Mad Max, Deathrace 2000, Conan the Barbarian, and Judge Dredd will always sit together on my VHS set of awesome action films. The're all laughable, especially by today's standards, but think about JAWS, most of those old movies were goofy.

Had a real bad time even playing the Dredd game. It's at it's core, it is dysfunctional.

Sly's Dredd was great... for all the wrong reasons.
It wasn't good because it was a great 'Dredd' film... it was great because it was so stupid and bad.

Urban's Dredd is awesome because it's Dredd.

KO Gilligan 01-15-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal (Post 960694)
Sly's Dredd was great... for all the wrong reasons.
It wasn't good because it was a great 'Dredd' film... it was great because it was so stupid and bad.

Stallone did a great job with it. The ridiculousness of it all would have been more appropriate for the movie if it was a decade earlier, but it was still a great movie.

I just realized that my local RedBox has Dredd on BluRay...I haven't seen it yet. I'm going to pick it up this morning.

Kit 01-23-2013 01:26 PM

Watched Dredd last night. Loved it! violent, stylish, just brilliantly put together. Was nice seeing a different, more modern take on mega city one too. Just hope it made enough to warrant a sequel! :)

Kalki 01-24-2013 12:22 AM

I'm waiting for the local dvd. It had a very short theatrical run here. Doing well on home video apparently:

http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/23/w...-a-massive-hit

Crosma 01-24-2013 06:45 AM

It's a shame that almost all of the Internet buzz has come after the theatrical run. There is a slight possibility that the franchise can be saved yet though.

Kit 01-24-2013 01:02 PM

I hope so. They did an absolutely stellar job.

My main fear for any sequel is they'd make it less violent to get a lower rating - a bit like what they did with Die Hard 4 which was absolute shite.

Kalki 02-17-2013 12:58 AM

I watched this last night and it was pretty good. The low budget was apparent but they made up for it with a tight script. The cast did a great job.