3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Hardware Forum (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Laptop's wireless stopped working? Help! (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38762)

FullMetalJacket 08-25-2012 09:52 PM

Laptop's wireless stopped working? Help!

Please help!

I have a two-year-old Asus G73 laptop with Win7 64-bit. For some reason my laptop has suddenly lost all of its wireless capability. I hadn't installed, uninstalled or changed anything recently. I just booted the laptop today and couldn't get online.

I have already tried:

-Restarting the laptop
-Shutting it off completely
-Restarting the modem
-Restarting the router
-Resetting my winsock connection
-Uninstalling my wireless adapter and rebooting
-Disabling my antivirus software
-Enabling and disabling the wireless, both in the device manager and by using FN + F2
-Disabling the firewall

Nothing works. I don't think there is a problem with the modem or the router, because my wife's laptop is connected to the Internet as I type this. I definitely think something is wrong with my laptop's wireless card, although I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue. I have a wireless printer (Brother MFC-J625DW) and my laptop can't even communicate with that to print documents.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff 08-26-2012 01:37 AM

Re: Laptop's wireless stopped working? Help!

If it's the notebook's wireless adapter inside it that's the issue, you could try buying a cheap USB Wi-Fi stick and see if it works or not. Process of elimination and all.

Kalki 08-26-2012 02:27 AM

To eliminate the obvious, does the laptop have a wireless on/off button and have you tried toggling it in case it was accidentally switched off or the button itself is stuck. I was once called in to fix somebody's internet and it took me a while to discover that stupid thing was off.

FullMetalJacket 08-26-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalki (Post 959239)
To eliminate the obvious, does the laptop have a wireless on/off button and have you tried toggling it in case it was accidentally switched off or the button itself is stuck. I was once called in to fix somebody's internet and it took me a while to discover that stupid thing was off.

Yep, tried that (FN + F2).

FullMetalJacket 08-26-2012 10:24 AM

Solved, maybe? It turns out that a terrible McAfee antivirus update blocks users from connecting to the internet. I tried using the workarounds listed here http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...33&id=TS101446 but still couldn't connect, so I used brute-force technique and disabled McAfee entirely.

So I can get online, but now my computer is at risk... so I'm going with Microsoft Security Essentials for protection until I can figure something else out.

Thank you for the replies.

Inanimate Carbon Rod 08-26-2012 09:43 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good or better than McAfee. No need for a workaround.

Dopefish7590 08-27-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod (Post 959247)
Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good or better than McAfee. No need for a workaround.

+1 for MSE...

I really dislike McAfee.

8IronBob 08-30-2012 02:03 PM

I know Kaspersky is pretty good, but it's just too damned expensive.

ixfd64 08-30-2012 05:29 PM

I know this is getting off-topic, but have you tried Avira? There is a free edition, and people say it's pretty good.