3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Prey (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Prey for the iPhone (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34584)

Joe Siegler 02-10-2009 03:14 PM

Prey for the iPhone

If you're an iPhone user, there's something coming up that you're going to be interested in. It's a port of Prey to the iPhone. As we're sure you remember, Prey was a big hit when it was released back in 2006, and shortly, you'll be able to play it on your iPhone.

Available now is a preview of the game from IGN. You can check it out here. Here's a bit of what they had to say about it...
But definitely put Prey on your radar if you're a hardcore gamer.

Much like previous editions of Prey, the iPhone version has a good time with architecture.

MachineWorks has done a remarkable job with Prey thus far. The texture work is excellent, especially inside the alien ship where you can see an incredible level of detail in the metal panels.
They go into some detail on how the control mechanism transfers from the original PC version to the iPhone. We do not have a release date for it yet, but it's supposed to be shortly.

Stay tuned.

Joe Siegler 02-10-2009 04:23 PM

Re: Prey for the iPhone

Some screenshots available here:

http://www.3drealms.com/prey/index.html#iphoneshots

http://www.3drealms.com/prey/images/iphone_shot_15.jpg

IwantMORE 02-10-2009 04:27 PM

Cool :) :D

FireFly 02-10-2009 04:34 PM

Some of those shots look surprisingly good.

Altered Reality 02-10-2009 04:47 PM

Is it the same as Prey Mobile?

Jiminator 02-10-2009 04:50 PM

looks pretty amazing, especially if you managed to put the entire game content there (?)

but just trying to imagine a touchscreen for input... that looks like it might be painful...

marioman360 02-10-2009 06:32 PM

damn that's cool.

Joe Siegler 02-10-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altered Reality (Post 825850)
Is it the same as Prey Mobile?

No, I don't believe so. But I do also admit I'm not sure.

Yetaman 02-11-2009 02:41 PM

That crosshair is horrendous.

Altered Reality 02-11-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yetaman (Post 826335)
That crosshair is horrendous.

It looks like the standard crosshair for Duke3D, which makes me think they used the Build engine to make this game, which in turn makes me think this game is Prey Mobile (which had a distinctly Build-like architecture and was made by the same software house) with controls adapted to the iPhone.

IwantMORE 02-11-2009 04:15 PM

Shame it's not DN3D

Joe Siegler 02-11-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IwantMORE (Post 826402)
Shame it's not DN3D

There's been plenty of Duke for phones already.

IwantMORE 02-12-2009 06:28 AM

But there has never been a phone like the iPhone, and never a version for such a lovely phone.

Marty Chang 02-12-2009 09:37 AM

Looks interesting, but I hope it controls well. I remember seeing a port of Cube for iPhone that used the gyroscope inside for looking, and the touch screen for movement, with corners of the screen for firing, jumping, and switching weapons. Needless to say, it was horrendous. I would like to see the gyroscope for movement, and the touch screen for actions, with visible buttons (and perhaps simulated control sticks).

Anyway, it's not really going to be Prey unless it features portals, variable gravity, and all the neat tricks that Prey did. Here's hoping that it actually contains that.

IwantMORE 02-12-2009 10:44 AM

There is no way it's going to be anything like the desktop version of Prey. But I would bet you could get DN3D working quite well.

I have a copy of Cube but everything is far too high quality to work. As soon as there is any AI added to the workload of rendering the environment then the FPS goes to something just above 0.

Unless you are going to do 'fight one thing at a time' then you are going to have to turn down the graphics quite a bit. Which is why, to me anyway, it seems like a con to try and sell a modern game as an iPhone/Touch port. Much better would be to take the 10-15 year old dos games and port them well.

Unless the game is totally re-designed to make the most of the iPhone and that will make it a totally different game.

If the Prey game is any good I'll probably get it. If it was Duke3D I would get it the second it came out.

My first impression from knowing the limitations of the iPhone is that this looks a bit too good from the screen shots to perform well, I would need a video of it running to convince me...

Java the Hutt 02-12-2009 01:01 PM

Actually, how many times can you play DN3D on different platforms? Wouldn't that get boring?

Doom has been ported to so many platforms and small devices that it almost destroys the mystique of the game. Doom has become the Solitaire of FPS games.

Give Duke a rest and let others play in that realm. I think Tommy should step up and represent 3D Realms for a while.

bobthefish 02-12-2009 03:32 PM

looks really cool.
ide buy it if i had an iphone/ipod touch
when can we see it on a platform geared at games (and that isnt overflown with DRM) ?

EDIT: i just noticed that all the screenshots have the same gun in it.
there is more then 1 gun, right?

IwantMORE 02-12-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Java the Hutt (Post 826986)
Actually, how many times can you play DN3D on different platforms? Wouldn't that get boring?

I still play Tetris, scorched earth and I'm currently going though HL2 again, after a quick blat through HL1.

I currently don't have a running copy of Duke on any system, not played more than the demo for years, not going to buy software that will not run out of the box on my machine.

I don't drool over graphics, or spend a fortune on games, but the one's I do like I play again and again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Java the Hutt (Post 826986)
Give Duke a rest and let others play in that realm.

I don't see a flood of FPS's on the iPhone yet, anyway the others are not as funny as Duke ;)

The Carnage Man 02-13-2009 04:36 AM

Nice... already have many apps and games on my iPhone but Prey can be on the first page!!
Any idea yet how much it will cost?

Babe 02-13-2009 08:55 AM

Will this iPhone version play on iPod Touch ? Can anyone please tell me ?

IwantMORE 02-13-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babe (Post 827521)
Will this iPhone version play on iPod Touch ? Can anyone please tell me ?

Unless they need the G3 or other phone functions all apps work on both. In fact the touch got a performance boost a few moths ago so if you have a new one then it will perform slightly better on the touch.

Nimoy 02-13-2009 07:09 PM

The HUD is an horrendous eye-sore, though I guess its to be expected, since there are no friggen buttons.

ADM 02-13-2009 11:05 PM

The controls are my greatest fear. I've never been a fan with the on-screen controls that some games in the app store have.

Looks great though!

Nukkus 02-20-2009 07:47 PM

all the more reason for me to buy a touch (L)

Nickssoft 02-27-2009 01:33 PM

Looks good, somebody port this version to work with a 486 now!

SonnyBonds 02-28-2009 08:33 AM

Looks good but I think it would be cooler to see a release on one of the handhelds made for games specifically, the DS and PSP.

Jinroh 03-06-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyBonds (Post 835052)
Looks good but I think it would be cooler to see a release on one of the handhelds made for games specifically, the DS and PSP.

Yeah, I agree, I mean the iPhone is cool and trendy, but I prefer my handheld games on my DS or PSP. :D But we are getting Duke for them so we can't complain too much. ;) Or 3DR won't share their toys anymore. :D :D

Altered Reality 03-07-2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickssoft (Post 834690)
Looks good, somebody port this version to work with a 486 now!

Yeah, and then make it work with eDuke32 so the circle will be complete! :D