View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
Kristian Joensen

Re: Features of the DNF engine?
Here are some quotes pertinent to this thread, first one is for historical purposes.

Quote:
>>WRONG! DNF is a highly modified Unreal engine.

Sorry, but it's a heavily modified UT engine. We've even pulled some stuff from the Warfare codebase, and continue to do so as it makes sense for our schedule.
- George Broussard, May 16th, 2001.

Quote:
People shouldn't make assumptions about what engine we're using or not using. It would be a mistake at this point. The 1999 shots are indeed...the poo.
- George Broussard, May 8th, 2002.

Quote:
DNF will make massive use of pixel shaders.
- George Broussard, February 8th, 2003.

Quote:
Unreal. But we basically rewrote 100% of the rendering and it's all different now. The game won't look like U2 or UT2k3 or Splinter Cell. We still use the backbone of the Unreal engine (editor, scripting language, etc), but all the visuals are redone. Hopefully it's worth it
- George Broussard, April 17th, 2003.

Question:

Quote:
so uhmm, is it done yet?
Answer:

Quote:
Engine is. The damed game is the problem
- George Broussard, May 15th, 2003.

Question:

Quote:
The reason for the recent setback of 2 years was incorporation of some new features of the unreal warfare engine?
Answer:

Quote:
Not really. We re-wrote the rendering 100%. That'll do it.
- George Broussard, September 21st, 2003.

Quote:
Our rendering engine has virtually nothing to do with Unreal anymore. It's all ours and not really comparable in any way.
- George Broussard, September 26th, 2003.

Quote:
No, our engine has pretty much been locked a few months minus final optimizations. We're extremely happy with things.
- George Broussard, October 5th, 2003

Quote:
It's true this time. I promise Besides, the guys would all kill me if we changed engines again, or severely altered tech. I've run that horse as far as it will go
- George Broussard, October 5th, 2003.

Question:

Quote:
woah . . . can we ask if you are still using the UNREAL engine ?
Answer:

Quote:
Yeah, but just the overall structure. Editor, scripting language, networking etc. We've completely gutted and written our own AI system, rendering, particles, skeletal animation and more so it won't look/feel like an Unreal game at all I don't think. In hindsight, I don't think licensing an engine was a smart move for us. We're pretty uncompromising in what we want to do, so we don't like having limitations. What killed us was not having the programming staff to do what we wanted to do effectively and not recognizing that for a long time. Chalk that up to inexperience.
- George Broussard, January 7nd, 2004.

Quote:
Yes, in hindsight, writing our own engine would have been the way to go, but that wasn't an option once we were so deep into things. We basically stepped back in early 2002, said "This just isn't going to work or be what we want" and spent most of 2002 re-writing things to get us where we needed to be, once and for all. Most of 2003 was spent on content creation and hring new people. Once we were able to make progress, content creation bottlenecks emerged that needed to be dealt with. So, it's been an interesting journey, but one I do not recommend be repeated, by anyone, ever Haha...
- George Broussard, January 7nd, 2004.

Quote:
Done, mostly optimized, ready for prime time. There isn't a single engine feature holding up production. We could ship now if we had all the content done.
- George Broussard, January 14nd, 2004.

Quote:
It's a full DX9 engine.
- George Broussard, January 14nd, 2004.

Quote:
No reason to freeze, as we have time to trickle in features until the game ships. But it's complete enough now that we could ship with no excuses and be happy. But just like in Duke 3D, when that engine was done, we still added small features like slopes and went back and retrofit the levels. We will still add things to the engine, as we can, where they make sense, and most importantly - where they won't delay us. We will add things if they are cool and don't impact things, but we will not add features that will cause big delays or mass reworking of exisiting content.
Also you guys (and make note of this), should not get overly excited. My talking does not mean you will see the game "soon". Don't read anything into my statements.
- George Broussard, January 17nd, 2004.

Quote:
There are very few rendering/core engine bugs. The recent past has been spent just on optimizations and squeezeing every millisecond we can out of things.
- George Broussard, March 22nd, 2004.

Quote:
Everything is different. Our visibility, rendering, everything. You could bring in raw geometry, but there's no guarantee it would ever run, as any level made in Unreal may be apples to oranges to what you would do, or how you would do it with out stuff.
- George Broussard, April 13nd, 2004.

Quote:
If you already support 2.0 then 3.0 is easy to support. It's nice that 3.0 is here to develop on, but most developers aren't even using 2.0 at the moment, so the 3.0 stuff is likely here too early.
DNF has a full HLSL pipe and we can pretty much support any rendering mode or feature that cards can do.
- George Broussard, May 12th, 2004.(Talking about Shader Model 3.0 support).

Quote:
We have nothing to do with Unreal, 2k3/4 rendering and we've 100% written our own rendering, lighting and visibility for DNF. Apples and Oranges. We will be visually competitive.
- George Brousard, May 14nd, 2004.

Quote:
I can virtually assure you we will ship on this tech base and this engine and have no intent of ever upgrading tech again
- George Broussard, July 29nd, 2004.

Question:

Quote:
I have over heard rumors about you guys starting over in 2002. If you are still using the Unreal engine like I assume you guys are would the technology of unreal being improved all the time. Is there a chance the game may look like the Unreal III Technology engine.?
Quote:
Unreal Engine III looks like Doom 3 with higher res textures and features like HDR rendering. But the main thing that's impressing people is simple the poly counts on models and the resolution of the textures. That's what I'd expect, shipping after Doom 3.
- George Broussard, August 15th, 2004.

Quote:
I guess I need to clear up some confusion. We are not using the Doom 3 engine for Duke Nukem Forever.
- George Broussard, September 9th, 2004.

Question:

Quote:
Does DNF use pixil shaders, and if so, hard core or mildly?
Answer:

Quote:
Hardcore.
- George Broussard, October 6th, 2004.

Quote:
Don't under estimate our tech or visuals. We shot pretty high on all counts.
- George Broussard, December 20th, 2004.

Quote:
I think we split off around Unreal 2 level tech and wrote our own rendering, and a lot of other things.
- George Broussard, February 15th, 2005.

question:

Quote:
George can you tell me once and for all that you restarted code wise in early 2002 and contentwise late 2002/early 2003 ?
Answer:

Quote:
Pretty much had a new renderer by Nov 2002. The content redirection coincided with the tech change and we went forward once we knew things were stable and going to work on the tech end. So accounting for end of year slow down and Xmas vacations, you can assume a pretty much fresh start from 2003 forward.
Quote:
Will you switch to Unreal 3 engine for DNF?

No. Its a fantastic looking engine, but we want to finish on what we have.

Will you use Normal Mapping?

Yes.

Have you had trouble regarding Dynamic Lights with Unreal 2's renderer?

Our rendering is 100% different than Unreal 2. We wrote our own.

Will it the lighting system be as good as Doom 3's?

Yes.
- George Broussard, October 24th, 2005.

Question:

Quote:
Seriously, though. What version of the Unreal Engine is DNF going to be using? Unreal Engine 2.5 or 3.0?
Answer:

Quote:
Neither. We broke off many moons ago. About all we use from Unreal now is the editor, networking and Unreal Script.
- George Broussard, November 16nd, 2005.

Question:

Quote:
If you are tech complete for a year, and the game is still not done; so by the time it ships
it's more then a year tech complete. By that time, aren't graphics/tech out-dated ?
Quote:
Don't worry. When I say tech complete, I mean we could ship if all the content were done.
It's fairly easy to add and update shaders and we do so all the time.
The graphics guys are ahead and always have time to add in bells and whistles.
Many things like per pixel blur, depth of field etc, have zero impact on game content and drop in, in a few days.
- George Broussard, March 30th, 2006.

Quote:
Physics and animation systems are virtually finished and shippable. It's simply maintenance and polish from here on out. We haven't needed to make substantial changes to those systems in months. The changes we have made, were made without great effort.
- George Broussard, August 31st, 2006.

Quote:
Multi-core support is in and quite nice. We all run Core Duo 6600's and 7950/8800, ati 1900 level cards.

Multi-core is the future and the game is pretty much going to require it. You really have to, to make a game competitive with modern consoles, or beyond. One cpu isn't enough anymore.

64 bit will come, but is lower priorty. Vista/64 bit isn't a priority for us at the moment.
- George Broussard, April 19th, 2007.

Quote:
It's a modified version of Unreal, about the time of Unreal 2
- George Broussard, December 19th, 2007.

Quote:
Unreal. I believe we branched off somewhere around the Unreal 2 time when they added static meshes. Since then we've redone the rendering 100% and it's a fully modern engine.
- George Broussard, December 19th, 2007.
A Refutation of Moral Relativism
(Transcript)
Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 06-14-2008 at 08:19 PM.