View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
shantelhaynes
Re: Runtime packed fsg virus...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Charles View Post
I use AVG free and the resident shield sometimes detects a threat called "runtime packed fsg", used by c\windows\system32\svchost.exe. Problem is there's no way of removing or healing this threat. AVG only gives you the option to ignore it.

My computer is clean, I reformatted last week. Internet searches yield nothing. AVG website and forums are zero help. Neither AdAware or Spybot detect anything. Full AVG scan detects nothing. Yet, whenever I leave the computer idle for 20-30 minutes and come back to my desk, that resident shield alert is on the screen.

Anyone knows wtf is this and how I can get rid of it? I wouldn't mind reformatting since I have backup on an external HD but that threat was detected on that drive, too.
For those who don't know, a runtime packed FSG, normally, is an executable file that was compressed/packed by a program called FSG Packer (Fast Good Small). If you have this, it doesn't mean you have a virus. Some genuine software developers use FSG to make their files faster and smaller, as well as from protecting them from possible piracy. However, it doesn't mean you have to relax too. This technology used to be exploited in the past, therefore, you need to double check by locating the file containing it to check for the program's credibility. (your antivirus will most likely tell you the name and location).

Hope, somehow, this helps.