View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Jeff

Re: TV turned itself off
Another thing about Samsung is that for their LCD's they have three types of panels (A, S, and C series). Out of those three panels, only the S panel is made by Samsung. The C panel is Chinese, and I believe the A panel is from Australia or something.

Anyways, they had this thing called the Samsung panel lottery a few years back, where people would keep returning their TVs in hope for an S panel, which is the good one. You don't know what you're going to get, which is why they call it a lottery. You can't just ask for a Samsung panel.

This is one of the reasons I went with plasma, not just because of the lottery, but there was the issues of the 60 Hz LCDs (ghosting, juddering, clouding), which the plasma fixes to an extent. It'll fix everything, but you'll need to buy a 96 Hz panel from Panasonic or LG's 72 Hz. Samsung also makes the C8000 which is 96 Hz. I know a lot of people think it's 600 Hz, but plasma works like a CRT monitor, where the refresh rate (48, 60, 72, 96) determines how much flicker you see on the screen. Plus with 48, 72 or 96 Hz, you get 24p playback for Blu-ray.

Okay, I'm getting a little sidetracked.
Last edited by Jeff; 03-17-2011 at 02:37 AM.