View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #954
MrBlackCat

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam050196 View Post
This has nothing to do with Doom 4, but it does have something to do with Doom 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq2X...ure=plpp_video
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malgon View Post
I wonder if this is to help drum up interest in Doom 4 as dan said? Hopefully they finally reveal it at this years QuakeCon instead of holding out on us again.

P.s. Anyone going to QC this year?
I think it has to do with DooM 4 through association.

I have always viewed id/GT Interactive through two views... one is vampire level product milkers, and the other as hard-core fan supporters. I don't know of a way to determine which is the reality, or if both co-exist or what.
What I mean is this...
Ultimate DooM was just original DooM with one episode you could download for free, but was also sold in the normal big box. Many viewed this as milking because it was a full priced product which was also "free". I saw it as a collectors opportunity and bought 4 at full price.

Then we got DooM Trilogy! Big old heavily embossed box with Ultimate DooM, DooM II, and Master Levels for DooM... most of "us" already had these individual games, but many saw this as a stupid thing as there was nothing new other than the box.

Final DooM was kind of just that. All new stuff years later, same engine etc. Awesome. Love it. Many viewed this as just "same old crap" some new levels etc. I saw it as giving us fans one more DooM engine game... in a big box! Yay!

Collectors Edition DooM comes out... it has same old DooM, DooM II, and Final DooM... BUT came with a Preview disk of DooM III! Again, just like always, many took this as insult because it was the same old tired games in a new box, with just a video on a disk. Complaints of "having to re-buy" the DooM series just to get a preview of DooM III.
I say, self inflicted, bitches. But whatever. I bought two of those at full price also. Whatever.

See the pattern here? I don't care why they do it... milk the DooM name, or catering to fans like me who really appreciate or want this stuff.

I am going to cut this here, but basically the above you can swap out Quake for DooM as the same pattern exists in that line also.

This is a bit more elaborate than a new box printing... this is remastering of the game with a bit of new content.

I don't know or really care if they are just milking the DooM III title one last time to promote DooM IV, or if they are just catering to the fans who LOVE this stuff... you can pick your own side I suppose. Maybe is both... maybe this makes the bean counters and developers both happy, or justifies both to each other.
I am glad to see it and can't want to buy it.

Yeah, I am DooMed... (this was an early image of test-fitting my DooM PC stuff to one area... it didn't fit in the end. With DooM and Quake and Duke alike, I say "Make all you want, I'll buy more." )

Quaked... again look at the different packages again of the same products.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Last edited by MrBlackCat; 05-31-2012 at 07:50 AM.