Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-27-2001, 08:28 AM   #1
Frenkel

Apogee never made games this fun
That message can be seen in Xargon episode 2 from Epic Megagames if you wait long enough.
Old 05-27-2001, 10:46 AM   #2
Crosma

Re: Apogee never made games this fun
What Epic never seemed to realise was that their games sucked in comparison to Apogee, even though they jumped to VGA quicker.

Xargon is crap, for example, I'd rather play Duke Nukem I.
Old 05-27-2001, 04:42 PM   #3
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

That was done in the era when our two companies didn't much care for each other. The original Jazz Jackrabbit had a cheat code APOGEE that would turn the game like it was EGA colors.

We also had a swipe at them in the story for Monster Bash.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 05-28-2001, 01:38 PM   #4
MrEricSir
I never got the Jazz Jackrabbit thing to work. I think they might have removed it by the time I played the game.
Old 05-28-2001, 01:46 PM   #5
Frenkel

It's removed in later versions. Apogee wasn't very happy with the cheat. So they asked Epic if they wanted to remove it.
Old 05-28-2001, 07:38 PM   #6
IIRC all Jill of the Jungle's "secret messages" were about Apogee games' characters giving up after seeing the might of Jill...

Old 05-29-2001, 01:01 AM   #7
AncientCoder
If you started Wacky Wheels with /NOFUN the game would put up a message. "Searching for Epic games on your computer..."

We pulled it from the release version though [img]smilies/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2001, 06:42 PM   #8
Flaose

I remember putting the APOGEE code in my 1.0 version of Jazz Jackrabbit...I didn't know it was supposed to be EGA graphics though ("AHAHAHAHAH!" would appear in big letters and the screen would shake")

The only Epic games I liked were Jazz Jackrabbit (and it's sequal), Fire Fight, and the newer stuff (Unreal and up).
Isn't it ironic that 3D Realms Used Epic's Engine in DNF [img]smilies/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (I suppose relations are better these days)
Old 06-01-2001, 04:31 PM   #9
Kevin Wolff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> newer stuff (Unreal and up). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Epic that made those old games and the Epic that made Unreal are different companies. I could be wrong, though, but I don't see a company making Jill of the Jungle and then making Unreal.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:47 PM   #10
Flaose

No, it's (at least partially) the same Epic...Cliffy B and friends
Old 06-04-2001, 06:55 PM   #11
MrEricSir
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Wolff:
I think the Epic that made those old games and the Epic that made Unreal are different companies. I could be wrong, though, but I don't see a company making Jill of the Jungle and then making Unreal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you serious? Apogee did Kingdom of Kroz, but now they're working on Duke Nukem Forever.

Likewise, Epic has been around quite a while. They made ZZT, and now they're working on Unreal 2.
Old 06-04-2001, 07:30 PM   #12
It's the same Epic in the essence that its the same company, owned by Tim Sweeney.
Cliff Blezinski, believe it or not was the creator of Jazz Jackrabbit...
they evolved from there.

Old 06-05-2001, 03:30 AM   #13
germz

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: germz ]
Old 06-05-2001, 05:20 AM   #14
Carger2000
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moonbuzz:
Cliff Blezinski, believe it or not was the creator of Jazz Jackrabbit...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasnt Arjan Brussee? (Our Dutch programming pride)

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Carger2000 ]
Old 06-05-2001, 01:22 PM   #15
MrEricSir
Remember when you start Jazz? The "Created By" credit screen shows every single time you play -- and it credits Arjan AND CliffyB.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:25 PM   #16
Carger2000
It was a question, no offence.
I havent played that game in ages btw.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:39 PM   #17
MrEricSir
I'm not offended, and I doubt anyone else is either [img]smilies/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The only reason I know this is because I recently assembled a 486sx and I installed my old copy of Jazz on it. BTW, that game sucks without a sound board.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:23 PM   #18
Why did the two companies despise each other anyway?

Old 06-05-2001, 03:05 PM   #19
Crosma

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commander Khaine:
Why did the two companies despise each other anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think Epic was just jealous of Apogee's success. Especially because Epic were making technically superior games, but they sucked in the gameplay department.
Old 06-09-2001, 01:14 PM   #20
Monti
After playing Jill of the Jungle (Shareware Version)for the first time, Epic's messages about the Original Duke Nukem games were really out right rediculous!

Let me just pick out a few pointers that I saw:

Epic makes Elevators so you can go UP and DOWN without having to jump off the elevator!

(Such as in the Orginal Duke Nukem games you could go up but had to jump off in order to go back down)

To this I give a BIG WOOPA DEE DOO! (SARCASTICLY SPEAKING)

I can't believe that they were bragging about such crap when they made Jill of the Jungle after Apogee made the Original DUKE games.

Next thing you know it they have Jill jumping around for joy with all these different PRE- ZENA DAY weapons! Not to mention turing into different species.

The SOUND and MUSIC sounded like some kind of 80's music and sounds. That's basically what the 80's music derived from, 60's and 70's people using the newer ELECTRIC KEYBOARDS at the time. I acually like the game a whole lot better without all the ENHANCED DITITAL CRAP they put in it. Still, I never went back to playing Jill of the Jungle as much as I did with APOGEE's releases.

I think I've said enough for now though, if you get my point after I drag it on and on forever and ever.

Whether EPIC was JEALOUS or not is a possibility cause I don't know what the deal was between APOGEE and EPIC. I just remember EPIC bragging and teasing APOGEE on how EPIC had ENHANCEMENTS and APOGEE didn't!
That's what I got out of it all! EPIC just gave me the impression that they were STUCK UP and PROUD of it! [img]smilies/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Doc Holiday, TOMBSTONE
Old 06-18-2001, 05:34 AM   #21
AliasTheJester
Actually, I liked the fact that you could change into different animals in Jill. Also, the music in Epic games were cool too (in my opinion), especially epic pinball.
Call me ignorant guys, but when I was little I thought apogee and epic were one and the same, as I got enjoyement from both. Admittedly, in retrospect, I MAY have played apogee more, but hey, I'll just play what enjoys me, and jazz and epic pinball did that for me.
It's funny when two perfectly capable companies start slamming each other though! [img]smilies/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
There's nothing wrong with some healthy rivalry.
Old 06-18-2001, 07:37 AM   #22
Crosma

I agree with you Monti. Epic seemed to make shite games, but brag on about the "technology", they've grown out of it recently thank god.

I never understood why Epic thought Jill Of The Jungle was so good, or Xargon. By the time Xargon was out we had Duke Nukem II, which beats the crap out of it. Yet Epic kept going on about how great Xargon was because it used so many colours.

All I remember about Xargon was it's awful scrolling, not a bit improved since Jill Of The Jungle.
Old 06-18-2001, 10:11 AM   #23
MrEricSir
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crosma:
I agree with you Monti. Epic seemed to make shite games, but brag on about the "technology", they've grown out of it recently thank god.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think Epic's games are that bad, but they do brag about the tech way too much. Kinda like id.
Old 06-18-2001, 10:51 AM   #24
Monti
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crosma:
Epic seemed to make shite games, but brag on about the "technology", they've grown out of it recently thank god.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This I believe is true as I haven't heard EPIC bragging much lately about what they use verses anyone else such as APOGEE or 3dREALMS to be more exact. Although EPIC came out with UNREAL, I haven't heard them brag at all about that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AliasTheJester:
Actually, I liked the fact that you could change into different animals in Jill. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I'll admit changing into different animals was a new concept I hadn't seen when playing THESE games back then.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AliasTheJester:
Call me ignorant guys, but when I was little I thought apogee and epic were one and the same, (->as I got enjoyement from both.<-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true for me too otherwise I wouldn't have tried out Jill of the Jungle or Jazz Jackrabbit as long as I did. I liked Jazz because it scrolled like a Sonic the Hedgehog game and I was always wondering how good something like that would look on the PC (At the TIME)And with Jill of the Jungle, SHAREWARE - I did enjoy playing as A FISH the most.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AliasTheJester: Call me ignorant guys, but when I was little I thought apogee and epic were one and the same,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually have a friend where I work that still gets APOGEE games Mixed up with EPIC games. Depending on the age I can see how that could be. Some of the games from both companys had CERTAIN GRAPHICS that looked the same to where you would think they were the same company but would still be ORIGINAL to that ONE Company.

I on the other hand may have been older than you when I played these games when I did but I don't know for sure. At the time I was a teenager 15yrs or less, and kept a VERY GOOD KNOWLEDGE of what game companys? made what games?. Thus, I could keep track of which games I liked the most from whatever company that made them.

[img]smilies/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Monti ]

Doc Holiday, TOMBSTONE
Old 06-19-2001, 02:06 AM   #25
AliasTheJester
Well I was probably about 8 or 9 at the time. And yeah now that I'm 16 I tend to follow the news a *LITTLE* more [img]smilies/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Although I still think games were better in those days. Either I've grown out of them or they just got crapper, I dunno. ???
Old 06-19-2001, 07:03 AM   #26
Frenkel

Actually, I liked the fact that you could change into different animals in Jill.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked the fact that in Biomenace episode 2 you could change into that purple creature. You were not purple but green.

Where can I delete this post?

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Frenkel ]
Old 06-19-2001, 07:09 AM   #27
Frenkel

Actually, I liked the fact that you could change into different animals in Jill.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked the fact that in Biomenace episode 2 you could change into that purple creature. You were not purple but green.
I think Biomenace episode 2 is the best of the trilogy, because it also has multiple endings, Commander Keen, Yorp and some guys from Apogee which I don't know the names right now(one had a big gun!, another one was Scott Miller behind a pc.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:34 AM   #28
Monti
Originally posted by Frenkel:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I liked the fact that in Biomenace episode 2 you could change into that purple creature. You were not purple but green. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yah, I forgot all about this experience while playing Bio Menace 2. You're right also that you were a different color from the creature you turned into so you could distinquish which one was you.

I do wish however that someone would make a game to where one person can play all the bad guys and the other person plays just the good guy. In this way I mean for the person who plays the bad guys: Every time they die as a bad guy, an option can come up and they can pick the next bad guy on the level to play and then go after the good guy again and try to keep him from finishing the level.

In this case also, if all the bad guys are dead, the person playing the good guy wins (obviously) and the person playing the bad guy loses. Maybe the next level a person can choose whether or not to be the good guy or the bad guys.

And I do mean this in these kind of 2d or 3d game styles.

THIS WOULD BE A GOOD TWIST, ESPECIALLY IN A 2D PLATFORM SIDE-SCROLLING GAME.

Joe, would this have a good appeal to any kind of game like a 3d or 2d style game?

Doc Holiday, TOMBSTONE
Old 06-20-2001, 10:14 PM   #29
Kevin9er
I had that idea a long time ago, but I have no programming powerz
Old 06-20-2001, 10:32 PM   #30
Justin

Sounds basically like multi-player Dungeon Keeper...

And I think the Apogee/Epic rivalry was essentially because they did exactly the same thing: make some games in house, and publish others that others make, using a shareware episode system (the "Apogee Method" hehe).
Old 07-23-2001, 06:39 AM   #31
JabtheHUT
Sorry for bringing up this old topic but I was a little bored so started reading!

Anyway, I reckon games that you can "go-back-and-play" and actually enjoy rather than just going back for the novelity of playing an 'ol fav, is truely a classic-
Jazz Jackrabbit (Epic) & Duke3D (3DR) are the 2 from the two era's that I think are still engrossing even today.
So with the Epic V 3DR thing goin on here I'd say it was 1 - 1 !
Any other suggestions?
We'll have to see whether DNF can outclass Unreal2.. it'll take a few years to make my decision anyway! ;-)