Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #241
ultra tree 85!

Re: The Apogee Legacy Interview Series
Great interview. Raptor is a really cool game. The shots from the second sword look interesting too.

Cool! Interviews with John Romero, Bobby Prince, Levelord, Jim Dose, and the others! Thanks Joe!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #242
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

There was no game for Second Sword. All we have is a tech experimentation. There's NO characters in that. It's just you walking around some level geometry with art on it.

I don't know what Scott H has in his archives, but when we talked, I emailed him what I had in mine, so I don't think he has anything based on his reaction when I sent it to him.

I wasn't involved in the development of SS, so I'm not sure exactly where it was before it was dropped.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 04-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #243
ultra tree 85!

What I meant was that I thought the shots looked cool even though the game was never completed. I guess I worded that post badly.
Last edited by ultra tree 85!; 04-10-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #244
Gryph

This man certainly likes wearing bandanas. I remember Raptor very fondly and it was one of my favorite SHMUPS.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #245
ShadeEX

yeah raptor is a cool game i have very fond memories of playing that when i was younger...
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 04-13-2006, 12:45 AM   #246
laffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeEX
yeah raptor is a cool game i have very fond memories of playing that when i was younger...
Yes, it's a great game. I used to play it all the time, I have a weakness for this genre. Epic also made a good one named Tyrian which I also played to death.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:27 AM   #247

A fan of the Ultimas? The man knows a good game.... I also agree Raptor is one of the better scrolling shooters, its definately one of my favs.

Those unfinished RPG shots remind me of Ultima Underworld, especially the icons and cursor.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #248
CYBDMN
I bought Raptor from a friend some weeks ago. But i have no joystick, and USB devices don't work in DOS. Now i ordered the Windows version. Yeah, what a great game.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #249
laffer

If you like Raptor, you should also check out the Demonstar games. The same guy made them and they're pretty similar to Raptor. You can't buy weapons though, it's done in the traditional way in those games (pickups).
The Demonstar Secret Missions have a LOT better graphics for some reason than the normal Demonstar.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:08 AM   #250
Xerxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
Petri Jarvihelto
Isn't his name Petri Jarvilehto?
(Unless Google's wrong)
Old 04-17-2006, 09:04 AM   #251
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes
Isn't his name Petri Jarvilehto?
(Unless Google's wrong)
You're probably right. In all the years we've worked with Remedy, I've never learned how to spell his name right. Sorry Petri.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #252
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Today our "Apogee Legacy" Interview series continues on with an interview with Peder Jungck (pronounced 'junk'). Peder was responsible for the 1992 title, "Secret Agent" with us.

Secret Agent was Peder's only title with us. It was a cool little game that yours truly bought before he started working here all those years ago. Anyway, it's a game where you play Secret Agent 006 1/2 on a mission into the secret island fortress of the DVS. Secret Agent, along with Crystal Caves are believed to be the #1 & #2 record holders for time elapsed between original release and a maintenance patch release. For Secret Agent it was just about 14 years between it coming out, and us releasing a patch for it in October of 2005.

Peder is no longer making games, and was a little harder to track down than most of the folks for this series, but we're glad we did. We haven't spoken with Peder in several years, and as you will find out by reading his interview below, he was more than happy to contribute. In fact, Peder wrote probably the longest entry in terms of words for the series. It's a great read, covering all kinds of stuff.

http://www.3drealms.com/news/2006/04...legacy_15.html

Old 04-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #253
laffer

Oh so he's the genius behind that game I had so much fun with that game back in the day, wonderful stuff.
It's all about gameplay too.. like most Apogee games. I used to think most of the Apogee games (and most PC sidescrollers in general) had pretty bad graphics back then since I used to own an Amiga before getting a PC (and the Amiga had superior graphics in these genres compared to the PCs back then) but the gameplay was so good that certain Apogee games became some of my favourite games in the sidescrolling genre (like the Keen series (I know ID made these but they were still published by Apogee)), Secret Agent and some others.
The problem was that I did not have access to any BBS's or anything like that so it was very hard to get shareware games for me, but fortunately a friend of mine had some.
It was even harder to actually buy Apogee games as there was only licensed Apogee dealer around and the prices were very expensive.. I suspect they tried to put a little extra into their own pockets as the prices were more expensive than what Apogee themselves charged at the time.

Btw, I always found it pretty lame that you got a cheat code when you registered. I didn't like how it made cheating sound like this cool feature as personally I think it ruins the fun completely. But I guess there were a lot of cheaters back then since they kept using that "trick" for quite a while I think.. at least I saw it in a few games.

I think I'm going to replay Secret Agent now actually, great memories and wonderful gameplay
Last edited by laffer; 04-17-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:41 AM   #254
Qbix
DOSBox Advisor

Thank you both Joe and Peder.
It's long but rewarding read.
Quote:
The real-time programming and detailed hardware knowledge I learned in bit blasting the EGA/VGA gave me an understanding of computing that has formed a basis of what I do today.
I can only guess the amount of knowlegde programmers had these days. It must be treasure chest opening up.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:20 AM   #255
ShadeEX

Man that was a great read...
like laffer i have played most of Apogees old games and of the games i played ive liked them all...
So is also the case with Secret Agent... i loved that game and played it like mad as a child and still do sometimes... actually Apogee has made / published many of my favorite titles.. Like Commander Keen, Bio Menace, Major Stryker, and others..
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 04-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #256
Micki!

Nice read... And yet another game i never tried... It's amazing how many Apogee games i've missed from back then...
Old 04-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #257
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki!
Nice read... And yet another game i never tried... It's amazing how many Apogee games i've missed from back then...
There are a lot. Complete list is here.

You guys are getting a surprise with this Monday's edition.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #258
Little Conqueror

A surprise, eh? Better not start speculating too much, but I've got a few (uneducated) guesses. I'll keep 'em to myself.

Secret Agent was such a great game. I loved how the enemies went down in rank when you hit them. It was just a very good gameplay mechanic even though it was incredibly unrealistic.

"If you join the good fight, you get 72 domain names when you die." -- Wamplet
Old 04-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #259
ReadOnly

Hmm, there is no #15 in http://www.3drealms.com/legacy.html
Old 04-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #260

Quote:
There are a lot. Complete list is here.

Oh noes....he's doing it again! Can't wait.

I loved Secret Agent. It was like Crystal Caves only with better levels. The whole shooting enemies turning them into other enemies was kind odd to me though.

These games make me remember fondly getting those 20-30 gamepack shareware cds. I used to love going through the games.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:19 AM   #261
Kalki

Quote:
Hmm... I just hope it doesn't include any SUYT pics. That would suck!

Spoiler:
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 04-22-2006, 03:49 AM   #262
Travis

I like this interview series thing. I like when companies do stuff like this, instead of ignoring their past or their fans or whatever.

There's a hell of a lot of Apogee games I've only played the shareware versions of, or never played but read about them in the Apogee. catalogs and wanted to play them. I'll probably buy the ones I haven't played eventually.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #263
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

The new edition for today will be delayed a little, I'm dealing with releasing the Prey Super Trailer video right now.

Today's edition is with Jason Blochowiak.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #264
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Today our "Apogee Legacy" Interview series continues on with an interview with Jason Blochowiak. Jason's company "Argo Games" was responsible for the 1996 title, "Xenophage" with us. In addition to Xenophage with us, Jason was also involved back with id Software in the day, and was a co-owner of id for awhile in 1991. Jason did sound code for id games back in the Keen/Wolf era, wrote code for Keen Dreams, etc. So his name should be familiar to fans of our company's Legacy titles.

Xenophage was our lone attempt to get into the fighting game market. Xenophage did bring a lot of firsts into this genre of game. We did try a second fighting game with someone else, but it was never released, so Xeno remains our lone entrant into this style of game. In fact, this interview is coming out at a very timely manner. On April 26, 1996, Xenophage v1.0 shareware was originally released. So this is the 10 year anniversary for Xenophage, and because of that, we also want to announce that we're releasing the full version of Xenophage as freeware to go along with this interview and the anniversary. Read through the interview to get the download link. The Xenophage freeware release also has another tie to our current product. The "Art Director" on Prey is Rowan Atalla, who was Jason's parter in Argo games. Rowan also did art on Xenophage; things have a tendency of coming full circle, don't they?

We thought last week's entry in the series by Peder Jungck was the longest in terms of words, but Jason's now holds that record. Jason talks at length about many of the sujects in the interview, including what he's done post Apogee. This is a very long, and very good interview, so make sure to check it out.

http://www.3drealms.com/news/2006/04...legacy_16.html

Old 04-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #265
Kristian Joensen

That was a great read, interesting to see another great game beeing released as freeware.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #266
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Yeah, it's on a good time as well - Wed is the 10th anniversary of the release of Xenophage 1.0 shareware.

I also found the Xenophage connection to Prey pretty cool, too.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #267

Another freeware? Joe you spoil us! I've never played this one either....
Old 04-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #268
ultra tree 85!

Very long and cool interview. I'll try the freeware now. Those shots of the game look interesting.
Last edited by ultra tree 85!; 04-24-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #269
Dreams

Old 04-24-2006, 10:55 PM   #270
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Yeah, I'm slowly working my way towards my goal of getting everything we don't sell anymore released as freeware.

I also got asked by Scott Miller to do one of these legacy interviews about myself. So at some point before the end of the series, there will be one about myself. I'll probably make that one the next to the last in the series.

The final one will be a wrapup and summary of the entire series along with a tribute to Dennis Scarff & William Scarboro, the only two guys here who have died.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #271
laffer

Very nice interview, one of the best so far.

And more freeware
Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 AM   #272
Travis

Good interview. This is probably the game that you guys were involved in that I know the least about. I'll check it out.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:18 AM   #273
Frenkel

Quote:
In fact, this interview is coming out at a very timely manner. On April 26, 1996, Xenophage v1.0 shareware was originally released. So this is the 10 year anniversary for Xenophage, and because of that, we also want to announce that we're releasing the full version of Xenophage as freeware to go along with this interview and the anniversary.
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. Actually, I guessed it right.
Xenophage is what I referred to with the X in Mr. X.
I could have said: "They are going to release Xenophage as freeware", but then I would have spoiled it all for those who didn't see this one coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenkel
I have a surprise for the April 24th edition planned.

I guess it's an interview. An interview with Mr. X

Quote:
Xenophage was our lone attempt to get into the fighting game market. Xenophage did bring a lot of firsts into this genre of game. We did try a second fighting game with someone else, but it was never released, so Xeno remains our lone entrant into this style of game.
I guess that other fighting game is Sango Fighter.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #274
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
I guess that other fighting game is Sango Fighter.
That would be correct.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #275
Kcowolf
Liked reading this one. That's neat about Xenophange too. Now if only he'd release Hexxagon and Hexxagon 2 (made by Argo Games, released through Software Creations) freeware, that'd just make my day. Apogee/3DRealms doesn't have any say in that, though. Oh well.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcowolf
Liked reading this one. That's neat about Xenophange too. Now if only he'd release Hexxagon and Hexxagon 2
The shareware for Hexxagon 1 IS the full version.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #277
DOSGuy

Quote:
Yeah, I'm slowly working my way towards my goal of getting everything we don't sell anymore released as freeware.
And you're pretty close to that goal, too. By my count, there's only 6 discontinued Apogee games that aren't freeware (depending on whether you consider Kroz one game or seven): Alien Carnage, Arctic Adventure, Dark Ages, Kroz, Monuments of Mars, Pharaoh's Tomb.

Alien Carnage is up to John Passfield, who has been a great sport in every conversation I've had with him (so nobody pester him); Kroz is an ASCII adventure; AA, MM and PT are in glorious 4-color CGA, and Dark Ages is EGA. The 5 Apogee-developed games were written by Scott Miller, George Broussard and Todd Replogle, which is a Who's Who of Apogee's roots. I can't thank 3D Realms enough for releasing so much of Apogee's legacy to the fans.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #278
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSGuy
And you're pretty close to that goal, too. By my count, there's only 6 discontinued Apogee games that aren't freeware (depending on whether you consider Kroz one game or seven): Alien Carnage, Arctic Adventure, Dark Ages, Kroz, Monuments of Mars, Pharaoh's Tomb.
Yeah, my notes say this: Alien Carnage / Halloween Harry, Kroz, Dark Ages, Arctic Adventure, Monuments of Mars, & Pharaoh's Tomb.

Carnage/Harry is John Passfield, who for now declined the freeware request I made.

Kroz I already have permission to release - with source code.

Dark Ages & Monuments of Mars are Todd Replogle
Arctic Adventure & Pharaoh's Tomb are George

George I know where to find, I'll probably do his last. Todd is unreachable. No one knows where to find him. He was last heard of living in a backwoods shack in the state of Oregon. He apparently had converted his money into PVC Pipe, and buried it in his back yard. He's wigged out, apparently The last time I saw him he had come up our old offices and showed me a game called 'Mr. Fist", where it was basically a 3D "shooter" where you only had a fist for a weapon, and you punched everything. It was never released to our knowledge, and only seen that one time by us. It was quite bizarre.

From a legal standpoint, I'm unclear as to the release status of Todd's games here - we stopped selling them ages ago, and while admittedly small, there is an IP right with the game, I'm not sure if games from THAT far back in the company operated differently - I wasn't around then, and even if I was, I wouldn't be privy to the contracts. Scott might have release permission on these games, I really don't know offhand. I'd have to ask him.

Last edited by Joe Siegler; 03-01-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Noticed some old grammatical errors when researching some stuff.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #279
Funduke

Thank you for Xenophage!

Greetings
Funduke
Old 04-26-2006, 01:36 AM   #280

Quote:
The last time I saw him he had come up our old offices and showed me a game called 'Mr. Fist", where it was basically a 3D "shooter" where you only had a fist for a weapon, and you punched everything. It was quite bizarre. But if the PVC pipe story is true, it fits.
Find him! That game must be published!!!