Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-08-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
Prey!
What ever happened to the Prey project that 3d Realms was working on a few years ago? I've been out of the loop for a while and was wondering if that game was still in the works or if they had ditched the effort.

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 10-08-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
Carger2000
Re: Prey!
Use the search engine before you post.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:38 PM   #3
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by phydeaux:
What ever happened to the Prey project that 3d Realms was working on a few years ago? I've been out of the loop for a while and was wondering if that game was still in the works or if they had ditched the effort.

Thanks,
Brandon
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Click on the search button at the top of the page, and search this forum for Prey. There's MANY threads about it in here.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-08-2002, 11:00 PM   #4
moron

Ya its on hold (long term)
Old 04-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
NeoZero
Anybody remember this?
http://www.evilavatar.com/redirected...A/News/M37083/
Quote:
From the Rumor department comes the interesting news that 3D Realms' long dead project, Prey, is back from the grave - this time using the new id Software DOOM game engine, developed over at Human Head Studios and published under the Take 2 label.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just found this link.
Human Head Studios
Quote:
Human Head Studios is looking for a level design head to add to our collection for a project using the Doom 3 engine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 04-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #6
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

What about it? That's old (incorrect) news. That was debunked when it was first posted.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 04-11-2003, 07:08 AM   #7
Yenz

I saw this new yesterday (that they seeking for a Doom 3 level designer), and I started to
rememebr the romour started on Evilavatar from last year.
It's not that impossible since Humanhead are very talented, andI think I remember George saying many years ago that he liked what they did with the Unreal tech for Rune (that was supposed to be s sequal to Daikatana)

http://www.humanhead.com/headhunt.htm#ld
It proves in a small way that the evilavatar romour wasn't all that bull-shit after all (since Human head using the new Carmack magic)

Well anyway, Humanhead working on something really interesting over there.

Any one knows what other games that're using the new Doom 3 tech (more than Doom 3, Quake 4 and the seceret Human Head game)?

[ 04-11-2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Yenz ]
Old 04-12-2003, 12:43 PM   #8
Devil Master

Quote:
what they did with the Unreal tech for Rune (that was supposed to be s sequal to Daikatana)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Really? I thought Ion Storm purchased the Unreal engine for Daikatana 2 (as John Romero said in 1998) but they ended up using it for Deus Ex instead!
Old 04-12-2003, 06:06 PM   #9
Yenz

For what I've head daikatana 2 (or might be a add on, was developed by Human Head). And I think it was started before Daikatana was even released (they were so sure that Daikatana was goingto be a hit that the sequal was started before it was released). Then when Daikatana faild, Daikatana 2 was canned. But don't take my word for it, I just read it somewhere, it might be all wrong.

I found it;
Quote:
1. Was there ever going to be a Daikatana 2?

Yes, ION Storm had planned on and actually taken several big steps towards developing a sequel to Daikatana.

2. What was the game going to be about?

No one knows... not a single detail about the story or ANYTHING was ever released. The only comment Romero ever made was that it would contain "mostly game design changes, the pacing of the game and expanding upon the basic principles we set forth in Daikatana. "

3. When was this announced?

February of 1998.

4. Why start a sequel when the first game wasn't ready?

At the time, everyone assumed that Daikatana was going to be a success, and figured they would be best able to capitalize on this by having a sequel ready as soon as possible.

5. Yeah, but at that time Daikatana was still a long way from being done.

Nobody expected the first game to take almost two and a half years more to finish.

6. What engine was Daikatana 2 going to use?

ION Storm purchased a license from Epic Games to use the Unreal engine.

7. Who was going to develop it?

Human Head was contracted to develop the game. Human Head at the time was formed of former Raven Software employees, and contained people who had worked on the original Heretic (among other titles).

8. How many games had Human Head made before that?

Daikatana 2 was the company's first project.

9. What did ION do for Human Head?

Ion Storm funded them enough money for a few living expenses, the engine license, and some new equipment.

10. How far did they get?

Apparently they only worked on the title for a couple months, and for the most part just got pre-production stuff done like concept art and testing.

11. Where can I see some of this stuff?

No media from the game was ever released, but to a certain degree you can probably look to Rune to get a general idea what Daikatana 2 might have looked like.

12. What happened to the engine license?

In an interview, Human Head co-founder Shane Gurno said, "When Daikatana 2 was canceled, Epic was incredibly nice and let us use the Unreal engine even though we didn't have any contracts with any publishers." They would use this license to develop Rune.

12. When and Why was Daikatana 2 cancelled?

At the time, ION Storm was going through some severe internal business problems. Additionally, Daikatana's development was very problematic. So in July of 1998 Eidos cancelled the game.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Link to the page (planet Daikatana)

[ 04-12-2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Yenz ]
Old 04-12-2003, 06:20 PM   #10
Yenz

Quote:
Human Head Studios is looking for a level design head to add to our collection for a project using the Doom 3 engine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But Human Heads next game "Dead man's hand" for the x-box (comming the fall of 2003), uses the Unreal tech.
Link
Anyone knows if they have two games going, one with the Unreal tech and one with Doom 3 tech, it sounds a bit strange

[ 04-12-2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Yenz ]
Old 04-13-2003, 06:59 AM   #11
Devil Master

Quote:
Link to the page (planet Daikatana)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
I can't believe there actually ARE Daikatana fans, and such a COMPLETE site has been made for them!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:08 AM   #12
Yenz

Quote:
OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!
I can't believe there actually ARE Daikatana fans, and such a COMPLETE site has been made for them!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Jupp, now we just need a fan site about "life's a beach" and "Nuclear Winter" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2003, 08:33 AM   #13
Vetek
Quote:
Originally posted by Yenz:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Jupp, now we just need a fan site about "life's a beach" and "Nuclear Winter" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, if you want a new section on Apogee Central that badly... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2003, 04:37 PM   #14
Yenz

"delited"