Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-14-2003, 02:28 PM   #1
omnipresence

Prey lives!?
German GamingMag Gamestar reports:

Quote:
There are News about 3dRealms FPS project 'Prey'. Officially it has been put on hold. For years rumours said it is being developed with technology based on the Doom3 engine. That has just recently been said again on id-fansite Doom3world.org. Coincidence? No. A NVIDIA internal paper says it will be released as Dark Harvest by developer Human Head Studios. This internal paper also says, it'll be use OpenGL. The fact that Human Head Studios is searching for a versed leveldesigner for a Doom3-engine-project supports this speculation. Our request for a comment from Human Head Studios has not been answered yet. Videos and pictures of the original Prey can be downloaded at 3DGamers.com.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I roughly translated this:
Quote:
Zu 3D Realms' Ego-Shooter-Projekt Prey gibt es Neuigkeiten. Offiziell befindet sich dessen Entwicklung in Wartestellung. Seit Jahren anhaltende Gerüchte sprechen allerdings von einer Weiterentwicklung auf Basis der Doom 3-Engine. So auch kürzlich eine Meldung der id-Software-Fansite Doom3world.org. Zufall? Nein. In einem uns vorliegenden Nvidia-internen Dokument erscheint das Projekt unter dem Namen Dark Harvest und als Entwickler Human Head Studios (Rune). Wie aus diesem Dokument weiter hervorgeht, wird OpenGL als Grafikschnittstelle genutzt. Dass die Firma nach einem versierten Level-Designer für ein Doom 3-Engine-Projekt sucht, rundet die Spekulationen zudem ab. Eine Stellungnahme seitens Human Head Studios war angefragt, blieb bislang allerdings aus. Videos und Bilder des Ur-Prey können Nostalgiker bei 3DGamers.com herunterladen.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">IF this turns out to be true... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Any comment on this, 3dRealms?

the omnipresence in the wired

[ 06-14-2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: omnipresence ]
Old 06-14-2003, 02:33 PM   #2
Hudson

Re: Prey lives!?
Prey. Is dead.
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 06-14-2003, 02:36 PM   #3
mpm
I agree there has been news that Human Head licensed the Doom3 engine, but what does their game (Dark Harvest, I guess) have anything to do with Prey? I don't see the connection.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
omnipresence

Well, it seems as if they are re-creating or continue to develope Prey with the Doom3 engine with a different name.

That's atleast what this article says. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
Theseus314
There is another 3dr game in development. This is common knowledge. It is however using a new IP.

It's initial pre-development was started at 3dr, but was quickly handed off to an, as of yet, unannounced developer.

The relationship between it's dev team and 3dr is much like the relationship between 3dr and Remedy is, however whereas remedy initially designed Max Payne and allowed 3dr to shape it into a hit game, this new developer's project is almost totally 3dr's concept.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #6
Hudson

^ ^

And where did you hear this at?
Old 06-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #7
Simon Charles

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus314:
The relationship between it's dev team and 3dr is much like the relationship between 3dr and Remedy is, however whereas remedy initially designed Max Payne and allowed 3dr to shape it into a hit game, this new developer's project is almost totally 3dr's concept.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And you know this how? Oh, that's right: you don't!

-Hercule Poirot
Old 06-14-2003, 02:46 PM   #8
omnipresence

Well, I didn't know that Theseus314. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

And I guess, if I had asked here, most people would have told me that 'Prey. Is. Dead.'

But if this is no news and has been common knowledge for a long time...I'm sorry for posting. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
NutWrench

Last time they mentioned it, Prey was "on hold." 3D Realms isn't going to make any decisions about it until after DNF.

Personally, I hope the engine lives on in one form or another, even if it isn't called "Prey" anymore. The dynamic portals were major coolness. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe someone could post a link to Paul Schuytema's(sp?) interview.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 06-14-2003, 02:53 PM   #10
Wamplet

So is that meaing they sold the rights to someone for Prey to finish it?
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 06-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #11
Yenz

I prey and hoping, praying....
Old 06-14-2003, 02:58 PM   #12
Yatta

if it's not being made by 3drealms it might as well be "just another game"...
Old 06-14-2003, 03:05 PM   #13
Yenz

Well I liked what Human head did of Daikatana 2 (they made Rune out of it). I really liked that game [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
So if they are developing Prey I think it will be as good or even better than 3dr would have made it.

(also some prey tch lives on in Max Payn, thou I guess most people knows that)

[ 06-14-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Yenz ]
Old 06-14-2003, 03:06 PM   #14
supermeerkat

Quote:
There is another 3dr game in development. This is common knowledge. It is however using a new IP.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Give us examples that this is common knowledge....
Old 06-14-2003, 03:10 PM   #15
George Broussard

Yenz,

Would you mind changing your sig? Please? People tend to get the wrong idea about that kind of thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:13 PM   #16
Yenz

Ok I will George (for people that doesn't know what it is it a reference to a add that John Romero made for Daikatana [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
But I change it. Your word is my command [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Hope you understand that it was a joke [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Peace [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2003, 03:14 PM   #17
omnipresence

Quote:
Originally posted by George Broussard:
Yenz,

Would you mind changing your sig? Please? People tend to get the wrong idea about that kind of thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'd appreciate it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And I'd appreciate it, if you could stay ontopic! Read the forum rules! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

In other words: A comment please... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2003, 03:21 PM   #18
Yenz

Well human head developing 2 games (for what I know)
Deadmans hand (on Unreal tech
&
Dark Harvest (using Doom 3 tech)

Anyway if it's not Prey (or a lienced Prey version), it will anyway be an awsome game [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Maybe the first game after Doom 3 that will use it's tech.
(Also, one of Preys biggest new feautures was the portal tech. But for what I know Doom 3 don't have any of that)

Quote:
Our request for a comment from Human Head Studios has not been answered yet.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">*lol
well they are lucky if they get a answear -"no comment" out of it.

[ 06-14-2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Yenz ]
Old 06-14-2003, 03:32 PM   #19
Mongorian

Theseus is right. trust us.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:58 PM   #20
SpaceCow
Uhm, this is old news, a rumour I first heard about on Evil Avatar. They later said it was false.

Please... put the cake in my darkside...
Old 06-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #21
Gatinater

I thought 3DR was is going to write their own engine for Prey and name it Prey engine. I don't know where the idea is coming from though. Not sure if George said that or if it's just a rumor that was engraved into my brain.

Why are the changing the name? Prey is better.

Well if 3DR did get a another development team to finish the project... Then it will probably be as lame as Zero Hour, Time to kill, Land of the babes and Manhattan Project.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:22 PM   #22
Theseus314
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Charles:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Theseus314:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And you know this how? Oh, that's right: you don't! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Scott Miller told us [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Stop being such a goober.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:26 PM   #23
Theseus314
Actually also, one of 3dr's known visitors personally confirmed it to me. However I don't think he would appreciate the luck that would be brought in being named.

I've actually been told that it uses 3dr proprietary technology, however I can't confirm this piece of info from another source.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:54 PM   #24
Mountain Man

IIf there is anything going on with Prey then 3DR will be the first to let us know. Granted, it may be mere months before the game's actual release, but you can be certain they'll tell us.

Create your own signature! Fill in the blank:
Old 06-14-2003, 07:02 PM   #25
Hudson

Prey. Is dead.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:03 PM   #26
Theseus314
Quote:
If there is anything going on with Prey then 3DR will be the first to let us know
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As childish as it is, I'm going to reply to this exclusivly with:

lololololololololololololololololol!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 09:13 PM   #27
Mountain Man

^^^
You apparently didn't read the rest of my post.

Create your own signature! Fill in the blank:
Old 06-14-2003, 11:14 PM   #28
Mongorian

Quote:
Actually also, one of 3dr's known visitors personally confirmed it to me. However I don't think he would appreciate the luck that would be brought in being named.

I've actually been told that it uses 3dr proprietary technology, however I can't confirm this piece of info from another source.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ive heard the same thing.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:18 PM   #29
SpaceCow
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Heh. Wonder who that is...

Please... put the cake in my darkside...
Old 06-14-2003, 11:25 PM   #30
Mongorian

come on #3drealms spacecow. you'll find lots of things out.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:50 PM   #31
melt_core
that's gamesnet's #3drealms.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:15 AM   #32
bullion
"We're created a third original game (unannounced) that I'm sure will be worth as much as Max after the first game is released. "

"We're currently working with another third-party studio, whom I expect will become financially independent after finishing their
project with us. The initial concept, design and gameplay hooks came from 3DR, and once we handed it off to them we've
collaborated on fine-tuning the design. "

-Scott Miller

here's some other intresting ones:

"Frankly, I wish all games would only be announced within 6-7 months of release from now on. That's the tactic we're using in
the future, including with one of our currently unannounced projects. "

"Currently co-designing a game that should raise storytelling standards within our industry." (and that's not DNF)

"3D Realms will never create a game based on a license, even though we've been offered several good ones,
like The Matrix and Men in Black. It didn't take us five seconds to turn these down."

"M.U.L.E. is on my short list of all-time favs, and I played scores of 2, 3 and 4 player games on my C-64. A food plot and crystite
were the key to victory. George Broussard and I have contemplated buying the rights to this game and doing a modern remake
(non-combat, of course!), but it seems that the rights are split between EA and Dani's estate, so the chances are between slim and none.
(Have also considered trying to buy the Zork or Planetfall rights from Activision, and making a real-time 3D first-per
Old 06-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #33
very_ape
Maybe you could just link the people to his comments: quarter to three

It doesn't really come as a surprise that 3D Realms is producing another game, seeing the succes Max Payne was. They have a lot of expertise to share.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:25 AM   #34
bullion
maybe, but then people would have to look each of his posts separately...
Old 06-15-2003, 03:55 PM   #35
Yenz

Bullion, are those quotes from Scott old or new (well the first must be rather new, accoring to that he referes to Max Payne)? Any urls for the quotes?
Also didn't George say something like they were going to announce something new on last E3, but they didn't (or I might be wrong).

[ 06-15-2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Yenz ]
Old 06-15-2003, 04:09 PM   #36
very_ape
Those quotes are pretty new. The one about working with a third-party studio is from march 15th 2003.

And the url is in my post above.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:48 PM   #37
Frenkel

When is Lon's Prey Page returning?
http://www.apogeegames.com
Old 06-16-2003, 11:38 PM   #38
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by NutWrench:
Last time they mentioned it, Prey was "on hold." 3D Realms isn't going to make any decisions about it until after DNF.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Correct. These things aren't new - these rumours are here already - search this forum for Prey. I suspect someone took the remark Scott Miller recently posted about working with a third party and turned it into what was at the top of the page.

Our formal stance on Prey has not changed - it's on hold, and a decision on it's fate is not planned to be made until after DNF is done and over with.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-17-2003, 12:49 PM   #39
bullion
prey tech demo for 'infinite MHZ' looked pretty damn good. (10,4mb mpeg)

[ 06-17-2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: bullion ]
Old 06-17-2003, 11:27 PM   #40
Theseus314
Prey most certainly won't come back in any form ever again. 3DR no longer holds the game's trademarks, and, from what I've been told, the game never "worked".

It was always plagued with tech issues, and whilst the level editor, preditor, was a work of art, and the tech was very interesting, it never got from the "tech" stage into the "game engine" stage. As such, prey never existed as a game, most of its demos were really "smoke and mirrors" magic shows, and the only game that could have ever come from its base could have been "quake in space".

Not something of much significance, beyond being living proof that you do not want to hire an entire dev team from the Internet.