Old 08-23-2006, 08:53 PM   #721
deceiver
Re: Triton
Any progress/news/ETA for the next update =D?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:59 PM   #722
CosmicD
I wanted to play the game and the triton player just says "launching game" but nothing happened..

Could this maybe be because were' getting the patch tomorrow ?

UPDATE: patch didn't solve anything.. but I realise i've upgraded to forceware beta 91.33, isn't there a way to make pray write logs to see why exactly it doesn't want to launch anymore ?

What I also remember is deleting an update from microsoft in order to make fear battlegrounds work...

at the moment i'm at a loss.I've reinstalled the prey demo and it works, what I'm gonna do next is make triton think that prey is gone and set it back . Hopefully it will "do" something that corrects the error :P
Last edited by CosmicD; 08-30-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #723
CosmicD
ok, I don't know if anyone would benifit from this but I like to post my findings if it has taken me long to figure this out on my own.

Well, it *has* to do with the kernel update or (KB917422something) thingy from microsoft with the combination of kaspersky antivirus 6.0.303 last release basicly denying some methods to give access to self protected applications.

ALso i've read on the KAV forums that you needed to make sure to go to punkbuster.com , download the setup there and make sure you have the latest version of pb..

then, if you use KAV , i've read on the fear forums (rofl) that you need a new beta, namely 6.0.1.386. Because it will allow said executables to run in a compatibility mode...

hmm , at least the games work nicely for me now, both fear XP demo and prey triton
Old 09-28-2006, 03:53 AM   #724
LastBNLNinja

Ooo Triton error 112
I know this is probably not the right forum to post this, I already posted this on the Triton forums but they seem to be down now and I was wondering if I was the only one with this problem.

Every time I start Prey or the Triton player it says "A connection error has occurred while authorizing the player. Please contact customer service. (112)"

Now on the Triton forums they mentioned something about a Firewall problem and suggested to uninstall any firewalls! Surely this can't be right! Anyway I only have the standard WinXP firewall and it does absolutely no difference wether itīs on or off.

In the error log it says "Could not open hotlist.txt" but browsing the directory hotlist.txt is there and also it makes no difference if I move the file somewhere else.

I donīt know why this happened all of a sudden, maybe some windows update issue? Nevertheless I have been without my precious Prey for way too long

I emailed their customer service two days ago, but still no answer.

UPDATE: Recieved a message in my mailbox that the email I sent to Triton support could not be delivered. And their forums are still down! WTF? This is frustrating.
Last edited by LastBNLNinja; 09-29-2006 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Update
Old 09-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #725
mojo the monkey
Is anyone else having problems with Triton? I purchased and downloaded the game (all transactions went through just fine) around 11:00am today. I was done downloading before noon. I received payment confirmation... BUT NO CD KEY.

They have an FAQ on their page about checking your account and transaction details there, but still nothing. Their forums are down too. I have no way of contacting them other than through a customer service email that they say I should wait 48 hours for a reply.... 48 hours!!! If I wanted to waste that kind of time I'd go and buy the game myself.

Is it regular for them to wait several hours (or days?!) before they give you a CD key? has anyone else had this problem?
Old 09-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #726
mojo the monkey
Re: Triton error 112
their customer support number (you can find it in their "terms of use" fine print, at the bottom) has been disconnected. Did they close? I bought the game on their service and received no CD Key. I'm debating stopping payment through my credit card, because when the ONLY contact number they have is disconnected... it doesnt bode well.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #727
LastBNLNinja

I don't know what happened but now all of a sudden it's working again. Very nice but puzzling.
I agree that it seems like they are on the verge of closing or something. If so how will that affect my copy of Prey?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #728
IceColdDuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo the monkey View Post
their customer support number (you can find it in their "terms of use" fine print, at the bottom) has been disconnected. Did they close? I bought the game on their service and received no CD Key. I'm debating stopping payment through my credit card, because when the ONLY contact number they have is disconnected... it doesnt bode well.
Why did you buy Prey through Triton especially now, when you can just goto the store and pick up the boxed copy.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #729
mojo the monkey
Oh No Re: Triton error 112
Because it seemed like a nice idea. Despite many who feel opposite, I actually like Steam. I'm not one to keep track of CD's for LONG periods of time, especially through moves. With steam, all i have to do is re-download and I have a game forever, on any computer. Triton had this same appeal to me.

Also, I had just downloaded the demo, played it, loved it, and on the exit there is an option to buy/download now. Hey, I was in a prey-loving frenzy and the idea of being able to play the full version in under an hour was very enticing.

In any case, this just isnt ok. I mean, their servers are up and running just fine - I was getting 450K/s (that kind of bandwidth isnt cheap) and the site has nothing about not selling it anymore.

So... I'm just going to drop by a store and buy it today and cancel the payment through my CC company. Its too bad, I mean come on. TAKE MY BUSINESS TRITON... HAVE IT!!! I JUST NEED A KEY!!

ok... calm now. heheh
Old 09-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #730
mojo the monkey
update: I just checked my spam folder and all of the tech support and customer support emails that I had submitted through their site are not delivering....
Old 09-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #731
Rich Whitehouse
I've passed this thread onto OBWANDO at Triton, hopefully he will be here to help you guys out soon.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 10-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #732
mojo the monkey
still nothing on the phone numbers, tech support emails, customer service emails, triton forums, etc...

and still no cd key in my email or my game account details.

Can someone confirm that this company is now defunct? bah....
Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #733
mojo the monkey
well, quick word to anyone about to buy through Triton.. dont. Its monday, i tried to buy this around 11:00am friday and i still dont have my cd key and the forums, tech support, customer service, and phone numbers are all down. I'm going to cancel my payment.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #734
bummerman

that sucks!!!It should be MORE convenient rather than less convenient to use Triton. Guess it's not ready for Prime Time...the keys should be e-mailed immediately upon charging for the product, otherwise, ppl will just go to the store....well, you know what they say,"Service gets better when they're busy"...all kidding aside, this poor support is not only a reflection on Triton but on 3dr as well since they touted this system...reminds me when the mp demo was filled with ppl and the next thing you know, the master server is down for 3 days straight without a word of explanation.There's never been as many ppl on mp, at one time, since that event.
Last edited by bummerman; 10-04-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:55 PM   #735
monofurioso
I never finished Prey, and just reinstalled Triton on my newly installed PC. I'm getting these 112 errors, and yeah, it seems as if the playtriton.com website is a facade for a ghost town. Did I just get robbed by 3DRealms? I certainly can't play the game I paid for...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #736
IceColdDuke
Hence you should have bought a boxed copy .
Old 10-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #737
monofurioso
That was helpful. I pre-ordered via Triton way back. Digital Distribution, when done right (Steam) is the cat's pajamas. Looks like 3D Realms attached their cart to a loser. Here's hoping they stand behind their product to all the people who purchased via Triton in good faith.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:56 AM   #738
LastBNLNinja

It would be nice if we could get some sort of official word here. My copy of Prey is working now, but what about the future?

Regarding Steam, don't forget about the bee's knees.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #739
mojo the monkey
I just disputed/reversed my CC transaction. Its really a shame. I mean, I dont see why they dont turn off their distribution servers for new copies. Its seems shady to keep accepting purchases and not giving out the goods...
Old 10-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #740
bummerman

and what's worse, a representitive from Triton hasn't responded to these posts!! Come on #DR, you guys strongly recommended Triton upon release of the game...back up these guys!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:03 AM   #741
The Cacodemon

hey... anyone notice the triton site is not responding? have they gone belly up or something??? if that is true, then what about us who have bought the game?? will 3dr send us a copy of the regular version now if triton is gone??

shoulda gone with steam...
These one eyed, red monsters fly around dealing out deadly balls of lightning. A couple of rocket blasts will take these out, and way too many pistol shots to even worry about using it. Stick and move is also a good attack to use against Caco's since they are in no hurry to get anywhere fast.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #742
The Cacodemon

i also noticed that 3dr removed the triton link from their download and order pages for prey... when did that happen joe3dr???? that is not a good sign....
These one eyed, red monsters fly around dealing out deadly balls of lightning. A couple of rocket blasts will take these out, and way too many pistol shots to even worry about using it. Stick and move is also a good attack to use against Caco's since they are in no hurry to get anywhere fast.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #743
ZaphodB

I've been checking on Triton today periodically, and the site is definately down. Is there some really big problem?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #744
bummerman

Re: Give Triton a try
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard View Post
They are going to flip the switch tonight at midnight, so if you're on the fence, don't mind trying new things, and don't care about a cd/dvd, then try digital delivery. It really is the future.
uhh....OK
Old 10-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #745
CosmicD
ummmmmmmmm... well at least my copy still works after 3 minutes of waiting, thats the best I can hope for , Will we be moved over to other distribution ?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #746
swf5002
I just thought I'd throw my two cents in here too and say that I got screwed by Triton. I bought the game 2 days ago because there are no game stores within 30 minutes of where I live (besides wal-mart and I don't shop there) and because I love the idea of digital distribution (I've purchased almost every game available on Steam) and they didn't give me my cd key and like everyone else was saying the triton site itself went down, and customer support died too. So I bought a game I can't play because they didn't give me the cd key. Doesn't 3DRealms have some sort of official relationship with these people? Why don't they get in touch with them and give us an update on what is going on? If I don't get a key and the company goes out of business I had better get my money back.

Edit: From Triton's website:

Q: I preordered/preloaded/ordered Prey, and I don't have my game key. How do I get my game key for Prey?
A: Your game key is sent to you in email. If you do not have the email, or have misplaced it, please browse to https://www.distream.com/disms/ and log in with your Triton player user name and password. Once logged in select SMS Mgt at the top of the screen and then select Edit Users. On the menu on the left, select Transactions. Find your game order in the list of transactions (i.e. Prey Preload) and click the transaction ID hyper link. Your game key is listed under the package name on the Transaction Detail page.

Funny thing is, www.distream.com is down as well.
Last edited by swf5002; 10-06-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #747
CosmicD
yeah, you should have known that you could also read the key from online.. I can feel the frustration. We at least have a key and well... we can use other measures in the mean time without really having the feeling that we are stealing , but for those that didn't have a key it's even worse and most unfortunate really..

I mailed as well and asked if they are going to go trough some deal for us triton users but well, we'll have to see
Old 10-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #748
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

I'm looking into all this, I'm not thrilled about it, either.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #749
ZaphodB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I'm looking into all this, I'm not thrilled about it, either.
I'm sure you are Joe, and I'm sure that everyone is very appreciative of your efforts. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #750
fuegerstef
Thanks Joe. Here is my issue:

Triton itself stopped working for me.

I wanted to replay the game this weekend, started Triton a few minutes ago. It gives me error 118 (streaming error*). Has there been any solution yet I missed for this issue????

*) I have the game on my HD completely (completed it once right after release). I don't need it streamed, BUT it needs to be activated to be played. And I cannot do so, so I cannot play.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #751
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

After checking into it, we have been informed that the Triton service is shutting down - we should have some information about this situation shortly.

I don't have any further information about how things will all play with with keys, reg codes, Triton, logging in, or anything else at this time.

I'm looking into it - I swear, as soon as I have some more info on all this, I will let you know.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #752
bummerman

this doesn't sound good.Closing up shop with no "heads-up" before hand is kinda "sleaszy". I hope 3dr assures that all those who followed their suggestion and used Triton will be properly taken care of./ Luckily, that does not include me!!....I think Steam depends alot on the MP component to keep it viable
Old 10-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #753
ZaphodB

Wonder if it would be possible for 3D Realms to "buy out" Triton, make it their own "in house" distribution system (would allow ppl who bought thier games through Triton to keep using it) and would be like Valve with their "Steam". It could make things a win-win situation (posibly). Not pretending to know anything about the gaming industry, just a suggestion.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #754
LastBNLNinja

Or maybe just transfer Prey to Steam? Just an idea.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #755
monofurioso
Well, I hope we get physical install media, or an unencrypted downloadable installer. This is disapointing to say the least. Let's hope 3DR handles this with grace and looks out for their customers instead of passing the buck.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #756
ZaphodB

Quote:
Originally Posted by monofurioso View Post
Let's hope 3DR handles this with grace and looks out for their customers instead of passing the buck.
Somehow I have a feeling 3D realms won't be passing the buck. It's not their style. I'm sure that they will have more than satisfactory solution.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #757
Orochi Avlis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
After checking into it, we have been informed that the Triton service is shutting down - we should have some information about this situation shortly.
That blows.

And this won't reflect good on digital distribuition at all.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #758
Gryph

I'm glad I didn't get it through Triton. I hope Triton users get treated well.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #759
fuegerstef
TBH: I have faith in 3DR. It is a situation they don't like either. And from my experience with 3DR and also from how I see this company I expect that they do whatever they can to satisfy the customers.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:41 AM   #760

While I feel for the ones who got screwed here out of their games, I cannot help but feel an overwhelming sense of "I told you so" coming on. Prey has a boxed copy to fall back on, but this whole scenario is going to put a permanent mark on online authentication forever.

I'm not going to go into it further because it will only start a pissing match, but this has me personally shaking my head wondering why the hell people didn't see it coming. Just wait till it happens to steam...