Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
evilbunny
Thumbs down PM spam on this forum
I've received from a member called Serendipity, the following PM:

Quote:
Hey,
I'm new here, how's it going?

"The most fundamental harm we can do to ourselves is to remain ignorant by not having the courage and the respect to look at ourselves honestly and gently" - Pema Chodron

---
Serendipity
<link removed>
(For reasons which will become obvious, I've defanged the link by replacing the dots with an appropriate emoticon.)

I was immediately suspicious of this PM, having (three years ago on another forum) received an almost identical PM (inane greeting from someone who doesn't know me and thus has no business presuming intimacy, a quote to give it a touch of spurious profundity, and a link which of course is the point of the exercise) -- especially since the link in the earlier PM was reported by those who investigated it to be to malware (a keylogger to be exact).

(And in this case, the disarming "I'm new here" is a blatant lie, since this guy's join date was 2009-12-31 -- an older membership than mine (by about a year), and I'm not a new member.)

I've now done a Google search for "serendipity knowledge3notlongcom" (the original, non-defanged, version of the link, natch) and it turns out that this guy has been spamming his link all over the place -- and, yes, it's been reported as a malware link on several of those forums.

Just thought I'd give due warning, as it's unlikely that I'm the only victim of this spam on these forums.
Last edited by Kalki; 07-22-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: link removed
Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Kalki

Re: PM spam on this forum
User was banned. Report these and move on. A discussion on this is unnecessary and quoting the offender perpetuates the spam. Thread closed.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Closed Thread