Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #1961
Nihilanth

Re: What was the last game you played Pt 28?
Whispers of Satan (DOOM II MegaWad)

Finished it in 7h 28min. It's hard for me to recommend it. You can argue that progression in DOOM is all about keycard hunt and pressing switches but WoS takes this to a whole new level.

Imagine a hub room with four doors, one for each key and one normal. You go through that latter, press two or four symmetrically placed switches to open a door, grab a key, go back to the first room and repeat with all doors. Now multiply that by 30 maps and you've got Whispers of Satan.

The progression is EXACTLY the same in every level. But that's not all. In every level keys are placed on pillars. In every level you press multiple switches in the same room to open a door, lower a keycard pillar or raise stairs. Every level uses exactly the same tricks and ambushes. I could go on. While most of the locations and general layouts of maps are fine, symmetrical design and progression is so uninspired, boring and predictable that you want to punch the authors for a complete and utter lack of gameplay innovation.

And it is a shame. Why? Because levels look AWESOME. Each and every one of 30 maps is absolutely beautiful, enormous, of an epic scale, diverse and full of wonderful details. Everything from tiny rooms to huge vistas is amazing and WoS is easily one of the most beautiful Wads to date. Friendly difficulty level makes it quite enjoyable. But why did authors decide to repeat the same exact gameplay thoughout 30 damn maps is beyond my understanding. I was stunned by the first 6-10 maps but then the repeatability just killed it.

Nihilanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #1962
Thief

BloodRayne 2 (with HD texture pack)

Sooo many ways to kill in this game. Feeding, fatalities, impalement, dismemberment, guns, burning, beheading, crushing people in garbage trucks, etc. I'm enjoying it more than the first, and I'm surprised to learn that I'm in the minority.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #1963
Jeff

Mass Effect 3

Bought some new gear to replace the default stuff.

Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #1964
8IronBob

Decided to play a few games with the Russian Soldiers in NOLF2 again... Love playing tricks on those guys, get a few good laughs.
PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, EVGA 2GB GTX 680, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600, 160GB X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, 8x LG Blu-ray burner, 3D Vision 2 Kit/3DTV Play, Toshiba TL32515U, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, DAS Pro K/B, Logitech MX518 Mouse, Win 7 Pro x64, Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet.
8IronBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #1965
dan2091

Finishing Half Life for the first time. I'm at the Interpoler, right now.

---

Just got Super Mario World and Super Metroid on the Virtual Console. :3

---

Finished Half Life. Playing Opposing Force. As of now, I like OF a lot more.
Last edited by dan2091; 03-17-2012 at 07:32 PM.
dan2091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #1966
Thief

Finished BloodRayne 2 on Thursday.
Definitely enjoyed it more than the first. Last boss was outrageously easy. You're given infinite health and rage recharge, but so is the boss. Just got to figure how to hurt him quicker than he can recharge and there's only one way.

Been playing the indie title "Bob Came in Pieces".
It's sort of like Moonlander with physics puzzles and a modifiable ship, but without the fuel restrictions and insta-death crashes.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #1967
Waiter

Played Skyrim again for the whole afternoon. But most of the time was spent in my kitchen, washing up and cleaning, while a rat was munching happily on my light armour in Skyrim, helping me raise my skills.

Waiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #1968
Nihilanth

Got the Diablo III beta key. Nuff said.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #1969
NutWrench

More Skyrim. I'm using the Midas Magic for Skyrim mod and the Unlimited Rune Placement mod to make it more interesting.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
NutWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #1970
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
How'd you manage to pull that off? Wait... I'm going over to Battle.net to see what's going on.
PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, EVGA 2GB GTX 680, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600, 160GB X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, 8x LG Blu-ray burner, 3D Vision 2 Kit/3DTV Play, Toshiba TL32515U, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, DAS Pro K/B, Logitech MX518 Mouse, Win 7 Pro x64, Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #1971
dan2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
Awesome.

Even thought I'm not a big fan of the Diablo franchise (I haven't played the games), I know the wait behind the title.

I've been playing Super Metroid for the first time on my Wii. I can't believe how adictive that thing is. Gotta get me a boxed copy for collective purposes once I get money .
Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #1972
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
How'd you manage to pull that off? Wait... I'm going over to Battle.net to see what's going on.
Blind luck, I only set the beta profile over Battle.net months ago.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #1973
GoodAndyBadPizza

Stalker Clear Sky & Call of Pripyat. May play 'Wanted: Weapons of Fate" I think's the name of it. Love the movie, but haven't really tried the game yet too much.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Also not too long ago played Bioshock. Great fun game. May play Bioshock 2 instead of 'wanted'.

Not 4 sure what's next. Have games for years have not yet played, Hitman 2 & blood, J.Bond Nightfire, Max Payne 2, Tron 2, & a bunch other should be really good.

AIRFIX DOGFIGHTER Server List & Links:

http://www.kamikazfu.co.uk/servers.php?shortlist=1
GoodAndyBadPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #1974
Nihilanth

Winter's Fury (GZDOOM mod for DOOM II / Beta: last two maps are missing)

Frozen DOOM is awesome.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #1975
NutWrench

That looks pretty cool!
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #1976
Nihilanth

It is pretty awesome. It is more story-driven than other DOOM mods, with cutscenes and such. Maps are very impressive in terms of both details and scale. See that bridge in the second shot? You may think it looks distant because of the fog but it's actually that far away. With 1080p and all texture fiters on, it's pretty merciless on the performance.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #1977
8IronBob

Now that looks like a really eerie, haunted mod right there. Now you got me thinking of joining up with you on this.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #1978
Thief

Been playing the Resident Evil remake on GameCube.
Easily one of the hardest games I've ever played. Playing with Chris "I only have 6 inventory spots" Redfield on Normal mode. I've already dumped over 10 hours into this game and I don't even think I'm close to the first boss and have only come across two different save points. Dying in only three zombie bites is also quite a pleasure.

Also reached 'B' ranking for the Challenges/Achievements in Mega Man 10. Currently sitting at 80.5% complete.

...and played a little more Bob Came In Pieces. A few more levels left in Adventure mode then on to the VR missions.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #1979
dan2091

Re-installing Invisible War from the Discs... I reached Black Gate at Trier and it crashes, =/ .
Gonna try Patch 1.2, now. Last time I tried it, it didn't even let me load the game at all.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #1980
widowmaker
Playing SWTOR. Spending my time trying out the different classes to see which appeals to me the most.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #1981
December Man

Playing Strife. Never played it before. I find it quite uninteresting. I'm very slowly going through it though.
December Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #1982
Riddlewire

I finished Deus Ex 3 earlier today.

I liked the story. Didn't care much for the gameplay. I still think "cover systems" are the worst thing that ever happened to shooter games.
Riddlewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #1983
KO Gilligan

Bulletstorm - Got it at the half off event on Sunday at Half Price Books. My daughter and I ran around to 3 different stores, buying 1 item each. Got Bulletstorm for $3 and Alice for $5.

Funny you should mention "cover systems" - there's a little warning message in the center of my screen which allows me to take cover and heal. I guess it helps the adrenaline run and gun = keeps the speed up - there is no reason to think or dodge - just plow into the enemies, and take cover when you hit too many baddies at once, rinse and repeat. I'm hoping we have more of the Bio-implantings (like the leash) ahead....

Nonetheless, I'm about an hour into it, and it's real pretty on my GTX 460, and the gameplay is visceral - although I still have to agree about the ridiculousness of cover systems.

Anyone else think the Bulletstorm nomads remind you of the Borderlands nomads?
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 03-28-2012 at 10:48 PM.
KO Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #1984
NutWrench

I reinstalled TimeShift. I forgot how much fun this game was.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #1985
8IronBob

Judging by that small YouTube clip, I'd almost think something like this could easily be an EDuke32 mod. Timeshift could play a big influence in a custom episode for that. Hmm... Now you gave me ideas.

Anyway. Played more Skyrim myself. Looks like it's getting better every moment.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 03-29-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #1986
NutWrench

More TimeShift.

I really like the art direction in the game.
It has a kind of retro, old-timey feel that reminds me of Painkiller.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #1987
8IronBob

I see that Timeshift's on Steam, which is nice, but I'll probably wait until they hold a sale on it, then jump on the bandwagon. I don't really justify coughing up a whole $20 on a game that's 5 years old. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #1988
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by December Man View Post
Playing Strife. Never played it before. I find it quite uninteresting. I'm very slowly going through it though.
Strife is the best Doom engine game.

It is rough around the edges, but its a pretty good FPS/Action RPG for what it is. It has a branching path and multiple endings.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #1989
8IronBob

Yeah. I remember there was another game made on the Doom engine that was a free game in Chex cereal boxes, can't remember what the name of it was. It was alright, but not the best. Strife was the game I've always been wanting for the longest time, but didn't know as much about it as I did Doom or the franchise, tho.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #1990
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Yeah. I remember there was another game made on the Doom engine that was a free game in Chex cereal boxes, can't remember what the name of it was. It was alright, but not the best. Strife was the game I've always been wanting for the longest time, but didn't know as much about it as I did Doom or the franchise, tho.
Would it be Chex Quest?
Here we go folks... The rarest creature in nature... The Duketard. I will now approach him very quitely and... Jam my thumb in his butt hole. That should REALLY piss him off! or he'll be rightly pissed, whichever one sound better.
Rapture_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #1991
dan2091

Finished DX: Invisible War on thursday and so, I re-started DX:Human Revolution yesterday; I've been playing the whole day today, until now. I can't believe how fantastic it feels to me.

Spoiler:

Now I regret not getting the Augmented Edition. Well !!! Gotta keep playing.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #1992
Thief

Resident Evil
Made some solid progress, but the game is still kicking my ass. Done a good job at conserving ammo and herbs, though. Just beat the mini boss after collecting all the Death Masks.

Bob Came in Pieces
Finished Adventure Mode and found all the ship modules and parts in each mission. Got a bunch of silver and gold medals for the speed-run challenges. Game grew on me quick after the first few missions. Ship building is awesome. Good music too. A good 12 hours of fun so far.

Serious Sam 3: BFE
Started this today on Hard. Started off slow, but is getting much better. Soundtrack kicks ass. Movement and shooting all feels very familiar and I couldn't be happier. Shotgun feels real nice. It's funny how Sam is all jokes during firefights, but completely serious during cutscenes.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #1993
December Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
It is rough around the edges, but its a pretty good FPS/Action RPG for what it is. It has a branching path and multiple endings.
I just deleted the only save I had so I won't bother myself with it anymore. I wanted to finish all Doom engine games, but this one is so boring. Even if I did finish it, I would have never touched it again. I generally like good FPS/Action RPG's, mind you.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.
December Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #1994
Jeff

Mass Effect 3: Doing my ultimate renegade playthrough (includes Mass Effect 1 & 2 import).
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #1995
dan2091

23 hours into DX:HR, just arrived to Shanghai... And I bought an Augmented Edition (Joker smile)... Getting it tomorrow. In freaking love with Deus Ex, right now!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #1996
Jeff

Flight Simulator X: San Francisco Intl to San Jose

Quick flight to kill some time (30 miles). Landed using ILS runway 30L.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #1997
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by December Man View Post
I just deleted the only save I had so I won't bother myself with it anymore. I wanted to finish all Doom engine games, but this one is so boring. Even if I did finish it, I would have never touched it again. I generally like good FPS/Action RPG's, mind you.
It is boring at times, but I noticed that one of the paths (the shortcut path) is boring, while the other path gives you a lot more action.

It's a neat concept of a game, but it suffers from being really an FPS with some RPG stuff. It doesn't help that there is no quest log and it's confusing where you have to go sometimes. The game has a lot of faults, but I like the idea and concept and I wish someone would remake this game with modern FPS/RPG features.

But it was the first game I could think of where they said the f-word without censoring it.
Last edited by ZuljinRaynor; 04-08-2012 at 09:17 AM.
ZuljinRaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #1998
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Beat Crysis 2 a few days ago.

Now I'm playing Bulletstorm. I love the mighty boot and gobs of enemies.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #1999
Jeff

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer

Just hit level 16 on my Krogan Soldier. This class is fun. I like the personality of the Krogan.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #2000
Iggy

Grotesque Tactics - Evil Heroes. The entire point of this game is to see if you can endure the fact that your party members are just as big as a treat to yourself as your enemies are. Someone thought it was really funny to let your party members slaughter each other from time to time as they take damage from enemies. This turns useful warriors into utterly useless things you rather keep out of a fight rather then in it. If they simply take too much damage they get enraged and start to slaughter random targets (which would happen to be your own party members as usual) or that they start to give speeches that render everyone asleep. Camera seems to float and bob around way too much. On the plus side, the graphics are nice although the drawn portraits of the characters are rather bad. Really bad.