Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
SpinX

Long Live Creative poverty!
Its time for this console cycle to end...

We've reached the pinnacle of creative poverty of AAA games in this generation...

Even the gamestudio's are collapsing because of the lack of freedom to create a new AAA ip...

a little summary:

- Lionhead has made only Fable games the last 6 years... (all the creative heads has left the studio)
- Epic's core team has only made gears of war games past 6 years
- Infinity Ward has only made COD games in all its existence (studio heads have left)
- Guerilla has made only Killzone games past 6 years
- the whole assassin's creed factory
- Bungie and its Halo repertoire...
- And many many more...

I have no problem with sequels, but why can't they just create a new IP?
Answer : the big publishers who have no desire to have a title that doesn't make millions profit... Raven has been stripped of its idea's and trown in the COD mass production factory...

I hope the end of this console cycle will breed some new AAA IP, but i fear this won't be the case...

For the record: I know there are various original IPs and new gameplay genres in the indie scene, and I hope the game industry will go back to the old days where they just publish the games of self funding studio's...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
SpinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
ZuljinRaynor

Re: Long Live Creative poverty!
I want new consoles because the RAM in these old consoles is a huge pain in the ass and is holding back games.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Sang

So SpinX when was the last time you bought any of these fresh indie games for a nice price (ie. paying $10 the humble bundles doesn't count )
Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
MrBlackCat

I think of it in very simple terms... to be a business you have to make money. Games are astronomically more expensive to make these days. With these astronomical amounts of money to be lost, taking chances is not reasonable.
People are strange... there is never really a "sure thing" in my opinion.
I see why these smaller markets have absolutely exploded... so many great developers don't have millions to invest. Angry Birds has probably grossed more than Duke Nukem Forever has for example. (just a guess actually)

Anyway, I don't blame them for sticking with what works, to an extent.
You have to give 3D Realms some credit for pushing so many IP's they have over the years... like Prey.
There are new IP's though... What about Alan Wake? Borderlands did well for sure. BulletStorm... Probably some others, but I am not a modern gamer.

You state as your own answer ": the big publishers who have no desire to have a title that doesn't make millions profit.." Who would? Would you work for half price just because it was for a good cause? If I was an investor, I would want back as much as I could get. I just don't see where this is a crime, so to speak.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Last edited by MrBlackCat; 03-11-2012 at 09:57 PM.
MrBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
Paroxysm

Most of the games I play these days are either small games (like xbla or PSN games) or indie titles. I like a wide variety so finding time for any long form game sin near impossible and most of the major franchises just bore me now.

this is what i think of you ^&%&%^*@#^%*@#%^#@^& - dukeonly
Paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

The only thing I can say to this...
Gamers bring it on themselves.

They go on and on about wanting new games, new IPs, new ideas... new franchises...
But, when a studio tries to promote a new IP, the majority of the time... games ignore it. They don't know anything about it, so they drop 60 bucks on the new CoD instead.

Singularity. New IP, great game... FAN-f**king-TASTIC game. But, people didn't want to give it a chance, overlooked it... ignored it... went with the tried and true existing series already out there.

I want new games, new IPs and new series. But, I want some other people to actually back developers when they try and push new games. Don't sit around crying "I wants new series..." and then ignore original games only to buy BF3 or CoD 76....
Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Creativity has nothing to do with the console cycle - although I would expect new consoles to be announced in 2013.

MrblackCat is on the mark.

As an aside -
I find myself agreeing to a ridiculous extent what rockpapershotgun says about pc games. It is the best site for PC reviews.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
MrBlackCat

I would have been less eloquent than the way D_A stated it, but I agree... gamers bring it on themselves.
I read review after review, along side gamers complaints, that this game or that brought nothing new, no new tech, nothing we haven't seen before etc etc... it ticks me off personally.
I have typed this many times in the past and it applies again, so I will type it again... if they were still cranking out parody add-ons to Duke Nukem 3D like Duke Caribbean, I would still be buying them today. I am painfully aware this isn't near the norm.
I play them so much I have them right here above where I game...

I CAN'T be the only one who still plays these games... I play Nuclear Winter every Fall and Christmas, and Caribbean in the summer basically. I have my games right there when I can reach up and get them at a whim.

The point is that I don't agree with the need for ditching an engine or game, just because a new one comes out... fun is fun. The long life span of Duke Nukem 3D has proven that.
It comes back to offering what will sell... you have to make money. Since the Wolfenstein engine was left behind I have not cared much for what consider over-progression or change for the sake of change. Limits and boundaries produce more creativity than having endless resources. (or believing you have endless resources... everyone on this forum witnessed this proven)

End of Ramble...

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Last edited by MrBlackCat; 03-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.
MrBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
Creativity has nothing to do with the console cycle[...]
Yes it does.

When you want to push other boundaries, you are limited by the pathetic amount of RAM in modern consoles.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
Betelgeuse

Iv'e been keeping my eye on Double Fine, you know they're a great team when fans donate money to them.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fine-adventure

I trust they'll make something awesome.
{ cout << " my mum says im cool... "; return 13; }
Betelgeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Kristian Joensen

New IP is a very risky proposition. But there are people out there trying sadly often they fail for financial reasons.
A Refutation of Moral Relativism
(Transcript)
Kristian Joensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
SpinX

It costs money, but when you put enough marketing to push the new AAA IP it is bound to have succes (if the game is any good)

LA noire, Alan Wake, Heavy rain, Rage didn't do that bad...

However I fear for dishonored...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
SpinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Yes it does.

When you want to push other boundaries, you are limited by the pathetic amount of RAM in modern consoles.
Indeed... You can still be creative, but if you want to do some really cool stuff that requires more power to implement, you are limited.
Dopefish7590 is offline   Reply With Quote