Old 04-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Kit

Duke Nukem Begins
Can someone please give us an update on what's going on with this?

I remember when this place was in meltdown it was reported Gearbox had been working on it, but it's assumed canceled?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
dan2091

Re: Duke Nukem Begins
I have no idea. Some other guys in here will give you a more complete answer, but to my knowledge and to what's been repeated many times, and is an obvious thing, Gearbox didn't buy the Duke Nukem IP just because.

Whether their next Duke game has something to do, is, or uses material from Duke Begins, is yet to be seen/known.

I think the concept is interesting, but if it's a reboot, I don't consider it to be necessary, though. How could it not be a reboot? Maybe it was just meant to be 'Duke: Episode 1' or they were just parodying another Batman title, for the sake of it. Whatever, we've been speculating too much, so I'm gonna leave it there .

If anything and btw, I like DNF, but also expect a greater game when the time is right.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

There's no way of knowing.

What was reported during was that during the lawsuit between 3DR and 2K news came to the surface that GBX has been contracted to do a Duke Nukem game titled "Duke Begins".

That's it. No information was ever reported on when work on the game would start, if they had been working... what they had done... nothing.
There's no way of knowing if GBX was even into planning stages on the game.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Dying Light, Hellraid, Dead Island 2, FarCry 4
Old 04-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
MrBlackCat

Yeah... I think all the public information about Duke Nukem Begins would probably fit on one side of a business card... in a rather large font.

So with that said...
COOL! What I hear is that there is no way people can dispute anything that others say, because they don't know... thats what I'm hearing. (Hehehe)

Here we go...
***begin crap***
Yeah... I think it could be out in 2013. It will be a sandbox game about Duke Nukem... you know... like when he was so young, he was in the sandbox.
===
I heard (which means made up, most of the time in forums) that the game was going to be better than most other games. (have to stay annoyingly vague and shallow)
===
Duke Nukem Begins will be about the beginning of Duke Nukem probably... which automatically means it will have lots of good stuff about it. I heard (there it is again) they were going to apply for Game of the Year in 2013. (WTH?)
***end crap***

Ok... there you have it. I went ahead and knocked out some of the rediculous typical sounding posts about it... because I wanted to be first. As first is most important on forums. This is great since no-one can prove me wrong! (insert evil laugh here)

And don't forget, any questioning of how this information was obtained, stolen, or imagined, will result in instant defensive reactions, with threats to post links to sources, which mysteriously will never materialize.

MrTrollingCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Last edited by MrBlackCat; 04-21-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
8IronBob

Well, considering how horrible DNF sales and reviews were, I can pretty much bet that might answer itself in terms of whether or not another Duke game would even be worth it now.
PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, EVGA 2GB GTX 680, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600, 160GB X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, 8x LG Blu-ray burner, 3D Vision 2 Kit/3DTV Play, Toshiba TL32515U, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, DAS Pro K/B, Logitech MX518 Mouse, Win 7 Pro x64, Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
crunchy superman

When it's done?

Old 04-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #7
knobcore
Duke Nukem isn't f***ing Batman. Then again, you could always name it Duke Nukem: Duke Night
Last edited by knobcore; 04-22-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
8IronBob

What next? Duke Nukem Arkham Prison?
PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, EVGA 2GB GTX 680, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600, 160GB X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, 8x LG Blu-ray burner, 3D Vision 2 Kit/3DTV Play, Toshiba TL32515U, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, DAS Pro K/B, Logitech MX518 Mouse, Win 7 Pro x64, Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Jeff

Whenever it comes out, I'm sure it'll be pretty good. We can probably assume a few things:

-Updated graphics engine. Unreal 3 or 3.5. Unreal 4 isn't supposed to be done until 2014 I heard.

-Updated gameplay (less puzzles, that was sort of 2004 gameplay wasn't it with Half Life 2?).

-Proper antialiasing support. I couldn't seem to force anti-aliasing at all with DNF. Game looked very jagged at times. Think Unreal 3.5 has proper antialiasing support.

-Developer console (maybe? They took it out in DNF or none of the codes work).
Old 04-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Jiminator

Hopefully they toss away all the bullshit and produce something similar to the original game with updated graphics and animations.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
8IronBob

I'm wondering if they might be looking at a third-person perspective to DNB at all. To me, it seems like they've thrown out a lot of FPS and side-scrollers, but outside of the PS1 exclusives, I don't think that the main Duke storyline ever officially had a third-person game in it (even tho Duke 3D had a third-person camera mode with a keyboard shortcut command), so that should be a good experience.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 04-22-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Jeff

Aside from Unreal 3/3.5 graphics, they need to be high resolution textures. Some games that I play are really good, however, their textures are super low resolution (256x256 or 512x512 for some characters). Blurry and filled with compression artifacts (blockyness).

Others I play have textures between 1024x1024 and 4096x4096, and the game looks amazing.

However, if it's going to consoles, they probably won't be able to handle high resolution textures (eg. 2048 or 4096). Now if they're going to develop it for the PS4 and Xbox 720, then it probably would be good enough to handle the high resolution textures.
Last edited by Jeff; 04-22-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Well, considering how horrible DNF sales and reviews were, I can pretty much bet that might answer itself in terms of whether or not another Duke game would even be worth it now.
2K and Gearbox have already commented that there will be future Duke games.
And that GBX have already started work on early stages of pre-production of the next Duke game.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #14
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminator View Post
Hopefully they toss away all the bullshit and produce something similar to the original game with updated graphics and animations.
The original game?

No. I want something never seen before, not something old.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
crunchy superman

I wouldn't mind something totally different. All I ask is that we don't end up with nothing more than a wise-cracking COD clone.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminator View Post
They did... it was called Duke Nukem II. (Hehehe, just joking)

I am not sure there is enough of us left that appreciate a "good game" to justify making one... at least a Duke Nukem game I mean.

That isn't the type of game that sells today...
Shooters today can't have Key Cards, Health Packs, Multiple Paths and other things that made Duke Nukem 3D fun to me.

Why? Because "That is so 90's"... I don't think enough "modern gamers" could appreciate a modern Duke Nukem game.
I imagine: "This is stupid, nothing like Halo." or "The item-glow system is completely bugged, so it is unplayable." or "I got to a fork in the path and the prompt system failed or something... it isn't like you can't just 'look around' and find your own way, that would take hours."

WTH next? Games that play themselves when you are busy?

Ok, I deleted some of these because it just got plain crazy, the more I thought about what I consider a real game, compared to what is expected in games today.

I guess it would be too much trouble to make games which had a toggle for hand-holding modes that actually unblocked linear paths and turned of all hand-holding systems.

I think I will go play Duke Caribbean for a while... <bleah>
My dream would be to have a series of Duke Nukem sandbox games:
Duke Theft Auto (GTA III Setting, aliens invade New York)
Duke Nukem: Miami Vacation (Vice City Setting, interrupted vacation)
Duke Nukem: It's Andreas Fault (California)

I like Batman and all, but I think GTA is more successful, so it should be just for the sandbox Duke Games parody.

Oh, and while we are dreaming, I would like a Lego Duke Nukem game or two also.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
Last edited by MrBlackCat; 04-23-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlackCat View Post
Haha, I remembered those (real) stories about people who'd purchase a WoW account, then hire other people to level up characters for them.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #18
Altered Reality

Quote:
Nintendo did that. It's called "Wii Digest". If you're too much of a nintentard (hey, we can say "duketard", why not "nintentard") to beat a certain point of the game, you can just watch the game play itself.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Haha, I remembered those (real) stories about people who'd purchase a WoW account, then hire other people to level up characters for them.
I KNOW! I thought about that also... people are strange for sure. I read there were sweatshops of people who did this actually. I never read up on it as I have never play WoW anyway. I have seen characters for sale on eBay also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Reality View Post
Nintendo did that. It's called "Wii Digest". If you're too much of a nintentard (hey, we can say "duketard", why not "nintentard") to beat a certain point of the game, you can just watch the game play itself.
Are you serious? (I don't have a Wii...) I have never heard of that.

It is sad times when you are being sarcastic about something so hard to imagine that turns out to have a reality to it!

MrBlackCat

Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #20
crunchy superman

Quote:
(hey, we can say "duketard", why not "nintentard")
I was always partial to "nimbimbo".

Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
MrFlibble

Quote:
I read there were sweatshops of people who did this actually. I never read up on it as I have never play WoW anyway. I have seen characters for sale on eBay also.
I remember reading an interview with a guy who set up a small business levelling up WoW characters and also doing some real money trade at the same time. He rented a flat, bought several computers and had them run WoW non-stop with bots who were levelling up and farming gold. I remember that guy mentioned he used some strategy of buying and selling in-game gold for real money, which, when done in appropriate times, would yield huge profits, some of which he spent to prolong his WoW subscription. He would also personally level up other people's characters an also coach them in playing the game.

On another note, I think it could be a good idea to bring back other characters from the past, like Halloween Harry or Snake Logan
Old 04-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
MrBlackCat

That is CRAZY! LOL! (ok, to me anyway)

Characters from the Past... that would have been a great thing to with Duke Nukem 3D really... at least have them in game some how.
Find Haloween Harry trapped in a cell... "I am glad to see you Duke! Get me out of here and I will take care of these aliens with my flame thrower while you go and (insert important missile timer for Duke to stop, or something like that)"
I was still playing the other Side Scrollers when Duke 3D came out, so it would have been awesome to encounter other Apogee characters or at least references.

I would like to think Duke Nukem will make a comeback... but honestly, I will continue to dwell in the Duke glorious past.

MrBlackCat

Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
8IronBob

Let's see if I can think up a story that might make Duke Nukem what he was...

Okay, the setting was 1986, in Ukraine, USSR, and an American marine was being kept prisoner near the site where Chernobyl happened. A Soviet scientist named Dr. Vladimir Protovskiy was busy working on nuclear experiments in the nuclear plant near the prison where who would be Duke Nukem was being held for espionage. When the explosion occured in Chernobyl, Dr. Proton (Vlad Protovskiy) was the person that caused the explosion which set Duke Nukem free, yet being exposed to radiation, that gave him the superpowers needed to become the hero that he's been known to be.

How's that story so far? Do you think this was how Duke Nukem began?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
MrBlackCat

Hehehe... I like this kind of thing. I am problem solver, not inventor, so I'm not so good at inventing stories like this.

MrBlackCat

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #25
8IronBob

I would have never known that Dr. Proton was a Soviet physicist gone wrong, and caused a nuke plant to go boom, and somehow cause Duke Nukem (a US Marine POW, mind you) to get superhero powers as a result of the radiation leak.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
MrBlackCat

Radiation is some great stuff for comic books and movies... it worked for The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic 4, and several others I can't remember.

MrBlackCat

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #27
MrFlibble

Hey, I've always imagined Duke as a Badass Normal* type of character. What kind of superpowers does he have, anyway?

*Yeah, and he's also Crazy Prepared if you remember how he broke free from the Rigelatin prison
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #28
MrBlackCat

That makes sense... as Duke doesn't do anything that is outside the realm of possibility for any well-fit human.
The only advantage that might be a super-power must be the File Reload, Reset Button, or maybe just "me" as the controller of the strings.

MrBlackCat

Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #29
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Duke doesn't need "radioactive super powers".
He's a normal guy, a normal dude. And he should be kept that way.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
MrBlackCat

In the spirit of trying to explain Duke Nukems origins, I understand what 8IronBob was saying... but Duke doesn't do anything beyond combining MacGyver with Arnold really... or that is my take on it.

To me, Batman Begins and Blade II held a common denominator in one concept... They explain the existence of something seemingly or previously approached as magical or "super-natural" with a believable approach. In Blade II, Vampirism was a type of virus basically that genetically altered people into the vampires. Batman had extreme training, and haunted past with some fears thrown in for that added extra drive, and a lot of intelligence... his own, and the resources of others, to build his character into a believable real-world possibility.
Super-Powers aren't also super, just amazing... The current Guinness record for most push-ups in 24 hours is by Charles Servizio (USA) who achieved 46,001 push-ups in just 21 hours, 6 minutes on 1993, April 24 to 25. (Source

Batman Begins was the first appealing Batman movie, to me, because of this "believable" characteristic...

Considering this, I can't imagine how Duke Nukem would have become what he has, but I really never thought of his as super.

MrBlackCat

Last edited by MrBlackCat; 05-02-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #31
MrFlibble

Quote:
Batman Begins was the first appealing Batman movie, to me, because of this "believable" characteristic...
Even though Batman as a character has never been anything besides a normal guy with some extra training, gadgets and an agenda, Batman Begins as a movie is a very pleasant example of the "realistic" approach to things that "by default" aren't supposed to be taken too seriously. And besides, I generally like Nolan's works

Quote:
Considering this, I can't imagine how Duke Nukem would have become what he has, but I really never thought of his as super.
A healthy diet of cola, laser-fried turkey and huge atoms seems to really do wonders

But really, I think that Duke as a character was never meant to be taken seriously at all. I think only the guys behind the scenes can really tell when they began to consciously spoof the macho stereotype - it's obviously already there in DN2, but I'm not that sure about the very first game.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
MrBlackCat

Quote:
**snip**
A healthy diet of cola, laser-fried turkey and huge atoms seems to really do wonders
Hehehe... now this is certainly the case. This seemingly unlikely nutritional combination took Duke from silent to speaking, and from 2D to 3D.

MrBlackCat

Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #33
KO Gilligan

Born "Timothy Beauregard Nukem", Duke was the son of a professional wrestling Superstar, Al "The Meatman" Nukem.

When he was born it was apparent that he would not be a 7 1/2 foot tall behemoth like the rest of his enormous family. Nonetheless, his father envisioned "Tiny Tim" could follow in his father's footsteps. Tim's father was very hard, and pushed him to his physical limits in hopes that Tiny Tim would someday make something of that scrawney stature.

As Tim grew up in the family gym, he realized he wanted no part of the family business, and he failed his atempt to join his Uncle's circus because he didn't seem to have any unique talents. He was very strong, but he was nearly a foot shorter than his cousin, the reigning Circus strongman.

At the age of 15, after his stunt as a circus runaway, and after the accident which crippled his father, Tim's mother put Tim in a prestigious Military school. It was at that time Duke developed his career goal, and made steps towards his future...

he was first known as "Duke" in the Special Ops branch of the Secret Service.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #34
ZuljinRaynor

Duke doesn't need an origin story. Not everything does, and Duke definitely doesn't.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #35
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Let's see if I can think up a story that might make Duke Nukem what he was...

Okay, the setting was 1986, in Ukraine, USSR, and an American marine was being kept prisoner near the site where Chernobyl happened. A Soviet scientist named Dr. Vladimir Protovskiy was busy working on nuclear experiments in the nuclear plant near the prison where who would be Duke Nukem was being held for espionage. When the explosion occured in Chernobyl, Dr. Proton (Vlad Protovskiy) was the person that caused the explosion which set Duke Nukem free, yet being exposed to radiation, that gave him the superpowers needed to become the hero that he's been known to be.

How's that story so far? Do you think this was how Duke Nukem began?
Interesting take, but canon says that Doctor Proton's real surname is Blunderwitz.

I always imagined that Duke Nukem was genetically engineered by the EDF, given that in Duke3D, in th Area 51 level, you see a poster where Duke is called "ultimate warrior" and his DNA is shown.
My version could be easily combined with yours: since he was genetically engineered, his reaction to the radiation at Chernobyl was different than what could be expected, and instead of dying of radiation poisoning he gained a form of semi-conscious control over his health (doing manly stuff accelerates his healing to unnatural speed).

And here's the origin I imagined for Doctor Proton: he used to work as a nuclear physicist, and he used robots he had built himself (the techbots) in order to perform his experiments without anybody else witnessing what he was doing. At this stage, I imagined him not to be bald yet, but wear his hair long and tied in a ponytail like someone we know . One day there was an accident in the lab (maybe inspired by the Slotin accident) but his techbots saved him by implanting bionics into his body. He survived the irradiation, which nevertheless made him emaciated and caused him to lose all his hair.
Quote:
Hey, I've always imagined Duke as a Badass Normal* type of character. What kind of superpowers does he have, anyway?
His ego can be considered a super healing factor.
Last edited by Altered Reality; 05-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #36
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Duke doesn't need an origin story. Not everything does, and Duke definitely doesn't.
This.
Even if GBX does Duke Begins, that doesn't mean it's going to detail where he was born or how he did whatever.
It could just be a telling of the first time Duke saved the Earth. Which would be more then enough.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #37
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
This.
Even if GBX does Duke Begins, that doesn't mean it's going to detail where he was born or how he did whatever.
It could just be a telling of the first time Duke saved the Earth. Which would be more then enough.
Yup.

Quote:
I always imagined that Duke Nukem was genetically engineered by the EDF, given that in Duke3D, in th Area 51 level, you see a poster where Duke is called "ultimate warrior" and his DNA is shown.
Well, taking into account that there are other posters with what appears to be the results of alien dissection, this might just be a statement of the fact (if Duke's single-handedly saving the Earth on multiple occasions wasn't enough on its own), and/or maybe the scientists wanted to uncover the reason behind Duke's powers.

Quote:
His ego can be considered a super healing factor.
This ego thing is such a spoof in and of itself, however real-world psychology also suggests that self-image is an important factor when physical health is concerned.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #38
Ras

The only thing I'd like to see as far as origin is that his real name be revealed as "Newcombe," since that's a real name and it even sounds like Nukem. Other than that, a first big mission that has no important connections to the games we've played would be great (in other words, it stands on its own and doesn't get cute setting up the released games), and I personally would like some of the stupidity and crassness to be dialed back. I never finished DNF since it didn't run great on my computer, but I'd like to see a new game more closely resemble what we were waiting for from those old Quake-era videos.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #39
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post
The only thing I'd like to see as far as origin is that his real name be revealed as "Newcombe," since that's a real name and it even sounds like Nukem.
Heh, this is an interesting observation, never occurred to me
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
This.
The tagline I have for my animated Duke feature, which is based on the original game, is "Before he became king of the world, he had to save it!"

I'd like for Duke Nukem Begins to actually live up to the decidedly old school concept. Duke Forever was half Half-life 2, Half Halo: Combat Evolved. It needs to be closer to something like Serious Sam in terms of identifying with it's roots. I'd love to see an upgraded version of the inventory system from Duke3D, bring in a couple new toys. (Multiple vision modes for the shades, like Night Vision, X-ray, etc. Could be used for different puzzles and obstacles).

It'll be interesting to see whatever comes of it.