Is a decent upgrade 14 31.82%
Is okay 7 15.91%
Avoid if possible 10 22.73%
Sucks, avoid at all costs 12 27.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #41
Hudson

Re: Windows Vista: Love it or shove it?
I use Linux, Vista, XP and now OS X. I'm not a freak, I'm the goddamn toxic avenger.
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #42
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I use Linux, Vista, XP and now OS X. I'm not a freak, I'm the goddamn toxic avenger.
Haha. I have my uses for all
Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #43
Mountain Man

Duke Nukem Re: Windows Vista: Love it or shove it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2908 View Post
Why don't you ever ask yourself how it is possible to run really great games on a console like the GameCube, Wii, Sony PS/2 or Xbox without the need to invest double the amount of money in great equipment to make it possible to run this kind of stuff fluently on a PC?
I would love it if Microsoft released a gaming version of Windows, something lean, fast, and stable and designed to optimize gaming performance. I don't need a hog like Vista when all I want to do is play PC games.

Create your own signature! Fill in the blank:
Old 03-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #44
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I would love it if Microsoft released a gaming version of Windows, something lean, fast, and stable and designed to optimize gaming performance. I don't need a hog like Vista when all I want to do is play PC games.
Crysis is the only game in my collection that slows down when playing in Vista. I don't notice any difference what so ever playing at 1280x768 on MAX settings on all my games under Vista or XP. Feels the same, no slow downs.

Crysis, however, will kick me in the balls while playing in Vista.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #45
mon2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58 View Post
You had better not be suggesting Linux is quicker to pick up and learn than Vista is. Not even the most devout zealots would claims such a thing.What the hell are you on about? I spent my money on my GPU + CPU so that I could play Crysis, Bioshock and any other new PC game. You see I put money into my PC to use it, not to play with my O/S. As hard as that is for a Linux user to understand - some of us actually use our machines for work and play, rather than just fiddling with the GUI or spending months trying to get one bitchy piece of hardware to work with open sourced drivers.
If it is for gaming I would claim that the Xbox 360 is faster than your PC and has a better cost/profit value. By the way, it does not cut your experience with your hardware. Have heard about a lot of sound issues but it does not really interest me if they still exist. But to answer your question. Yes, the latest *nix flavours are easier to install more intuitive to use. But the best is you do not become hindered by the os vendor if you want to learn more about the interna of the os. It's not that kind of hide and seek you have to play to get a deeper understanding.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #46
Zero

Mon, don't even try to explain, let the fools play with their toys, the people who know better will understand. It makes little sense to try to reason with someone who has been around Windows there entire life, it's too late for them, instead of telling them about alternatives, let them be, there only hurting themselves.

People like this are called "cattle" in my books, sooner or later they will get slaughtered, so don't worry about it, let the blind lead the blind, it's their problem not ours.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #47

Quote:
If it is for gaming I would claim that the Xbox 360 is faster than your PC and has a better cost/profit value.
You are a console gamer, or at the very least a zealot who will openly claim "I don't need those games" until they hit your O/S of choice.

Personally I cannot play Crysis, The Witcher, Sam & Max, DOSBox, Stalker, HL2 episodes (on release date without annoying load times), etc on the consoles. I also prefer my shooters on the pc thank you very much. Therefore I buy PC hardware and use an O/S that works. The end, thats all she wrote.

Why would I use an O/S that limits what I can do? What exactly does Linux do that windows cannot? Thats right, nothing. Yet I can play new games, watch the latest HD movies without fear of down-scaling due to protection and when I want to use the latest app I don't have to research it wonder whether it will behave with wine or whether there is a free alternative.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #48
Zero

avatar, I was going to answer your questions, but I know it would be useless to do so, as an open source advocate, I really think we should restrict open source software to open source os's, not to be a dick, but to teach people like you a lesson.

The question is not what Linux can do that Windows can not, the question is What can YOU do that Windows can not. As I said in the above post, cattle see things threw different eyes, and innovators, inventors, scientists and engineers see the real deal.

You also forgetting that half of the technology in your OS is free, who you think your TCP/IP stack belongs to? I'll give you a hint.. BSD
Microsoft bought a license for it, but it's not their code, so before you get on that what can Linux do that windows can't list (I can make a much longer list then you can), i suggest you research where Microsoft bought or adapted most of it's tech from.
Last edited by Zero; 03-08-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #49

Doesn't answer my question - what linux does for the average user that windows does not.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #50
peoplessi

Zero, I know a lot of engineers, and most of them use Windows daily, some don't even care, as long the apps they need run correctly. So Your vision of that is very limited to say the least. I use linux, but it hasn't really become something that I return joyfully to everyday, most my stuff works on Windows, that's how the world is currently.

Also, again with your circular argumention this won't go nowhere "The question is not what Linux can do that Windows can not"
Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #51
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
Zero, I know a lot of engineers, and most of them use Windows daily, some don't even care, as long the apps they need run correctly. So Your vision of that is very limited to say the least. I use linux, but it hasn't really become something that I return joyfully to everyday, most my stuff works on Windows, that's how the world is currently.

Also, again with your circular argumention this won't go nowhere "The question is not what Linux can do that Windows can not"
It's not circular, knowledge is power, if you know what you are doing they can do anything with Linux, you have the source, you can patch it as you like, I don't think you understand why Linux exists, you just installed it and want it do everything for you, I know alot of engineers, and scientist that use "super computers" and cad apps on Linux to do what they need.

My vision is fine thank you, it is you that don't realize the power Linux or another open source project has over there closed source "equal" (if you can call it that).

No the world is the way it is, because most brainless cattle think there computer is the internet and lack the intelligence to actually understand what there actually doing, never mind what other alternatives there are.

@avatar_58
I answered your question as I intended to be answered, it is upto you to understand what it means, as for comparisons (thats what you want) their
are lots, FPS in games on native ports and sometime even with wine are faster then ther Windows counter parts, disk I/O is faster more reliable, (thats why linux is mostly used a server cause its faster at doing this things you take for granted in windows)

Sure it takes a while to setup the way you want, but then again its the way YOU want it, in windows you don't have a choice, it just is, and nothing can be done without some reverse engineering to change it. Linux handle crappy hardware or hardware thats is crapping out a lot more gracefully then windows, apps are more responsive, even with XP I still notice that certain things the kernel HAS to d first then you can have your turn at doing something, in Linux if I want to move the window or brows the contents I am doing when i want to, when when windows feels like letting me, when i hover over another window the window manager wont magically scroll the windows that is highlighted, it instead will scroll the window that my mouse cursor is on, so it doesn't have to be "brought to the front" just to move the scroll bar, when I open an application my sound settings aren't changed they stay they way they are.

Multiple desktops are a plus whent hey are built in from the start, the ability to bind any key to anything is another plus and bash scripts can be more effectent then any human interaction when combined with cron. lets see, i never need to defrag, i don't need to install spyware tools or virus scanners, I don't need to worry about malware or trojins, I don't need to worry about my programs self executing attachments, I have completely control of what hardware any user uses, lets see i have tools that are multipurpose, dd for example can be used to create an 1:1 exact image of something, to completely destroy a file system or just to create a dummy file filled with whatever I want. You dont get that flexiblity with windows apps, since dd HAS to be with every Linux distro is it part of the OS (gnutools).

Without installing 3rd part apps on windows, windows doesn't come close to the functionality of a Linux distro, so what if you can play new games, that in no way is linux's fault, its DX is the problem.

So your arugement is rather weak, even google, pixar and the like have donated to the WINE devs to get photoshop working so they dont have to use windows, why do you think softimage was used to create shrek, 2 and 3 for? for pixars health?

memory support is rather weak under windows 4gb max on 32bit CPUs? please! such childs play to fix and yet BSD and Linux and solrus are the only oses that fixed the problem.

Microsoft's puts NUMA support in 2 years too late, it's old now Linux has had features that Windows wont have in 10 years from now, and even gets rid of features that Linux still has, because Linux has no agenda, so why remove things that don't need to be removed?

What else, oh yea memory proformnce is better in Linux as well as how "virtual" memory is handled, Linux doesn't need to "cache" any memory to make itself efferent, leaving its buffers and disk I/O at minimal, it doesn't need to flush its cache every so often, it can, but why, if you have more then 2gb or ram unless you are running some intense shit you will never dip into the swap.

using cron and slocate is about x1223348936748926732 more effecnt then windows search, I said I wanted the results today, not 5 days from now.

It even boots faster! record time is 11secs from power on (not bios) to login prompt. (Easyist to do with LFS)

On and the GL desktop doesn't effect shit all, (unlike some OS's I know) GF4 can be used to run compz+fusion.

better yet run vista on a celeray533mhz as a server with 256mb ram, bet you cant do it, I can use a 486 with Slackware as a sever (mind you the results will not be too good) but none the less the hardware support is there, i have nothing saying sorry they doesnt work anymore.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:12 AM   #52
Oasiz
Biggest problem with Vista are on laptops & lowend computers.
I mean 512mb of memory and all the effect turned on + aero. I mean Come on!
With onboard video taking as much as 64-128mb at default you really rock.

I personally have installed vista 64-bit as a trial on my second HD, installation took about 2 hours on a e6600 and 2gb ram ! Even the bootup takes around 3-4 minutes on a pretty fresh install.
Also that sucks is that the perfectly acceptable and expensive Matrox Parhelia is now as good as a onboard vga due to crappy opengl support.

I bought a decent laptop with turion x2, 1gb of ram, x1200 and that stuff. It came with vista home premium pre-installed, You really couldnt do anything wise with it especially gaming-wise. Boot took around 3 minutes and everything slugged a lot even with every effect turned off (also probably due to crapware that is pre-installed).
The little gaming that you can do with that onboard chipset on XP vs. Vista is significant. Vista performance is like when I run XP in 800mhz mode as opposed to 1.7ghz in processor).

Also I fix computers a lot for other people, almost everyone has been complaining about the UI, slowness, and the wonderful UAC (I always do them the favor of disabling it).
they also ask a lot that is there a way to install XP or buy a computer with XP pre-installed.

Ofcourse there are some good features, but I still have zero reason to upgrade at all, there are still too much problems with lowend machines and even highend (like mine and about ~5 other ones I have installed vista on).

What also sucks is that manufacturers totally cut downgrade to xp possibility these days, like with my Fujitsu Siemens laptop. There is totally zero driver/app support on it. I had to look at linux bootlog and figure out chipsets and google drivers & force installation completely with INF files.

But in the end it's the most important that the OS does what you need and like you want it. No matter how crappy code or good it doesn't matter as long as it works and does what you need and want.
Sorry for possible typos and since I wrote this message in a little hangover
Old 03-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #53
peoplessi

Something is wrong with your setup, since my boot takes under 30seconds, shutdown even less. I haven't timed it, so those are rough estimates.

Zero, sure they do, but it is a minority, your argumentation is from 5 year old, calling people stupid, cattle, brainless. Also, you tend to think you are always right, and everyone who thinks otherwise is "cattle" or "brainless".
Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #54
Oasiz
Quote:
Something is wrong with your setup, since my boot takes under 30seconds, shutdown even less. I haven't timed it, so those are rough estimates.
I just don't get why, tried on two drives in raid0 its the same. The installation part is the wierdest since it kept freezing completely at the 'Thank you' screen and was very slow overall. 64-bit Vista and that e6600 with 2gb ram.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #55
mon2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58 View Post
Why would I use an O/S that limits what I can do? What exactly does Linux do that windows cannot? Thats right, nothing. Yet I can play new games, watch the latest HD movies without fear of down-scaling due to protection and when I want to use the latest app I don't have to research it wonder whether it will behave with wine or whether there is a free alternative.
Forgive but DOSbox works really great on Linux. Have played 'Crusader: No Remorse and No Regret' lately. (Gosh this games are outstanding and timeless.)

'Why would you use an O/S that limits what you can do?' Good question, tell me, I do not see any limits in Linux but by far more if you try to migrate your apps from XP to Vista, have you ever taken some investigation what works and what still does not? Problems to install a package on a linux system? Use alien, or better, get the source build a .deb or .rpm and install it (and by the way, release it for others that have not read the maintainers guide yet ;-)

for Debian and it's flavours.

http://sdn.vlsm.org/share/Debian-Doc...-start.en.html

for Redhat based distributions

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ccorn/s...build-rpm.html

So where do you see any limits here? Closed source limits you in the way you use your software. If a program that was intended to work great with XP is installed on Vista it might work but what do you do if it does not? Run a VM with XP to make it work?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #56
peoplessi

Vista has build-in compatibly modes for XP SP2, and DOSBox works fine.

Oasiz, I have E6400 @ 3,2GHz and it didn't took too long for Vista 64-bit to get installed. What are the specs for rest of your system? I have heard that some have had similar problems as you, I am running on a Intel chipset.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #57
Phayzon

Quote:
'Why would you use an O/S that limits what you can do?'
And what exactly is it limiting me from doing? Dont even pull that bullshit DRM card. It has yet to direcrly (or indirectly, for that matter) affect me at all, and I have heard no first-hand cases of Windows' DRM issues from any user on this forum. So far (since Win95) I have done anything I felt like and have yet to ONCE have Windows tell me "No".
So tell me, what exactly cant I do? Chances are if I cant do it I probably shouldnt be doing it anyway.
Last edited by Phayzon; 03-08-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #58
Oasiz
Quote:
Oasiz, I have E6400 @ 3,2GHz and it didn't took too long for Vista 64-bit to get installed. What are the specs for rest of your system? I have heard that some have had similar problems as you, I am running on a Intel chipset.
asus P5B deluxe wifi-ap solo (intel chipset)
2x 1gb corsair XMS2
7900gt and these days 8800gts (g92) Both had same issue.
600gb raid array + 160gb pata + 160 sata (INSTALLED HERE)
Floppydrive
hp old lightscribe dvd-grill
e6600 @3ghz
and the obvious rest.

But it doesn't matter, I have vista installed only to train myself to use it. (Because all computers come with it preinstalled these days, and I have to be the tech-support dude).

Vista really isn't that bad, compared to the horror stories that float everywhere.
But also it really isn't a good upgrade compared to XP. I still think Vista as a second millenium, no matter how hard I try not to.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #59
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiz View Post
Vista really isn't that bad, compared to the horror stories that float everywhere.
But also it really isn't a good upgrade compared to XP. I still think Vista as a second millenium, no matter how hard I try not to.
It isn't as bad as people make it out to be, no. I personally wouldn't go as far as stating that it's the second millenium as I've had less problems under Vista than XP - But I'm talking about when they first launched. XP and Vista - don't have a single problem with them at all (except crysis )

XP is still a fine OS and if you're happy with it I see no reason to upgrade.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #60
Zero

Quote:

Zero, sure they do, but it is a minority, your argumentation is from 5 year old, calling people stupid, cattle, brainless. Also, you tend to think you are always right, and everyone who thinks otherwise is "cattle" or "brainless".

Since when? even I ask questions, TX has corrected my statements a bunch of times, when I am wrong I am wrong, it's as simple as that, when Jiminator informed me that multi-core cpus were different that what i thought they would be, I didn't argue, he was right.

And my argument is less the 5 years old because I have looked at compressions with vista vs wine, so unless vista is 5 years old, I think the data is accurate
Old 03-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #61
peoplessi

Calling names doesn't give any added value to your arguments.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #62
tony
Linux has always limited what I can do.

Its a combination of hardware and software support. Is that the fault of Linux? Not really, its the fault of the third parties, but that still doesnt change the fact that Linux has zero appeal to me because of the software and hardware support it lacks. I'd love to migrate the labs I manage at work to Linux, but virtually none of the software we use has a Linux equivalent. One large part of what we do is OCR and structual analysis of scanned books, the best thing in Linux is OCRopus/Tesseract. Their quality makes them _useless_ when compared to other proprietary and commercial solutions. Same goes for our image processing workflows, the Linux equivalents are just bad.

Hardware is another issue, too. I've run into a lot of problems getting the odd hardware to work in Linux. Sure, there may be "support" for it, as is the case of the slide/negative scanner that I use every day, but the software that allows me to use it is clunky and crashes often. It took a long time to get the batch scanning to work even half-assed, even then I'd get a lot of innacurate images with strange pixel errors.

Since I've made the jump to Vista, I've had zero problems with my hardware, and zero problems with performance. All my memory intesive applications run faster, too. It boots faster. Its more secure and runs better when using a non-admin user.

Sure, you could claim that the DRM in Vista might stop me from doing something I'd WANT to do, but Linux prevents me from doing things that I _NEED_ to do. (Even then, I've never had a case where DRM has prevented me from doing something I've wanted to do.) Until I have the (proper) hardware and software support in Linux, I'm not going to use it. It is that simple. Vista already supports everything I need, so all the new machines I order for work and for my personal use are going to be likely to have it.

Vista's hardware support was a bit rocky at first, but it has exceeded my expectations so far. I have zero reason to use XP over it now.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #63
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Linux has always limited what I can do.
No you limit what you can do, Linux will not do anything for you, because assuming you want things done is dumb.

Quote:
Its a combination of hardware and software support. Is that the fault of Linux? Not really, its the fault of the third parties, but that still doesnt change the fact that Linux has zero appeal to me because of the software and hardware support it lacks.
Want to give examples, and don't say winmodems, or anything like that, if you buy cheap hardware you are going to get cheap support, you get what you pay for.

Quote:
I'd love to migrate the labs I manage at work to Linux, but virtually none of the software we use has a Linux equivalent. One large part of what we do is OCR and structual analysis of scanned books, the best thing in Linux is OCRopus/Tesseract. Their quality makes them _useless_ when compared to other proprietary and commercial solutions. Same goes for our image processing workflows, the Linux equivalents are just bad.
This I can understand, this is a known problem right now and you are right there virtually no good support for that yet.

Quote:
Hardware is another issue, too. I've run into a lot of problems getting the odd hardware to work in Linux. Sure, there may be "support" for it, as is the case of the slide/negative scanner that I use every day, but the software that allows me to use it is clunky and crashes often. It took a long time to get the batch scanning to work even half-assed, even then I'd get a lot of inacurate images with strange pixel errors.
That is not hardware support, that is software support, and try the svn version of sane's back end it might help.

As for the rest I am not even going to quote that, it is up to the user to figure out how things are done, either online or by one's self, some of it is not even true, how can something be more secure if you need tools to prevent things from happening? Obviously it is not more secure, if virus's don't work because of the way the OS was modeled that is automatically is more secure by default, so the statement that vista is more secure is not even remotely true.

You setup Vista to be as secure as you can get it and I'll do the same with a spare Linux box I have, we'll see who is more secure with more functionality and who has spent the most resources making it that way. This means no routers, switches just a single box connected to the internet.

And who cares about DRM, we cared about it at first, but now that we have found away to crack it, it doesn't matter. Companys can't stop us from watching what we legally payed for so what do we care?

Your OCR statement was valid and there does need to be work in that area, but the rest is just fluff, some even bogus.
Last edited by Zero; 03-08-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #64
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Another Mac user!

Actually, I use all of those OSes aswell... Actually I use about 3 varaints of each... One variant of XP is a hacked version XP I use for running Vista stuff... (Dont ask... Long story.) I'm just the head of "Annihilation enterprises"
Old 03-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #65
Daveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Crysis is the only game in my collection that slows down when playing in Vista. I don't notice any difference what so ever playing at 1280x768 on MAX settings on all my games under Vista or XP. Feels the same, no slow downs.

Crysis, however, will kick me in the balls while playing in Vista.
I think it really depends on your card. If you have an 8800 designed for running games on Vista, you'll be fine for the most part. I have an 8600M and it's great, but it's definitely slower in Vista than it would be on XP. It's also an issue of different engines. Source (original, not updated) is particularly slow in Vista.

SSBB: 0087-2275-1699
PSN ID: DavishBliff
Old 03-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #66
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
I think it really depends on your card. If you have an 8800 designed for running games on Vista, you'll be fine for the most part. I have an 8600M and it's great, but it's definitely slower in Vista than it would be on XP. It's also an issue of different engines. Source (original, not updated) is particularly slow in Vista.
I do have an 8800 series card. It does run in Vista but there's a huge difference when playing at 1280x768 on max setting when under XP

800x600, 1024x768 - not much difference
Old 03-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #67
peoplessi

Zero, Vista+EFS+BitLocker+TrueCrypt, it's as safe as any homeuser ever needs. Firewire is a shared problem across all OS's.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #68
mon2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
And what exactly is it limiting me from doing? Dont even pull that bullshit DRM card. It has yet to direcrly (or indirectly, for that matter) affect me at all, and I have heard no first-hand cases of Windows' DRM issues from any user on this forum. So far (since Win95) I have done anything I felt like and have yet to ONCE have Windows tell me "No".
So tell me, what exactly cant I do? Chances are if I cant do it I probably shouldnt be doing it anyway.
Sorry, can't really say in your case, do not know your expectations on an os. Maybe that you are pleased with everything you get from Microsoft. I want to keep control on my system. Windows is for me like renting a house on my own property, where everything I want to do within it must be agreed by Microsoft. I really think that is a stupid act of a software vendor to disable some functionality of your os because they claim that it can be used to prevent their copy protection to work properly. So you can ask now, is this Microsofts fault? I mean I do not have to say anything about TCPA or DRM as long the user does not lose the control about this DRM system, I would be pleased if I as user could use this system to encrypt my files but DRM is a system for third party vendors. With DRM a third party vendor might use this system to place a trojan horse on you system and your anti spyware tool cannot even recognize it because it is partly DRM encrypted individually, only for you. Ask yourself, would you like to live in a house where everyone you invite could place a secret camera to control what you are doing at home? I guess not.

Without to go an bash on Vista more than necessary, can you tell me why the playing of music files is causing network traffic? That is really a connection between NDIS and audio player I am unable to understand? What kind of network traffic is caused while playing audio files? What kind of information will be transmitted and, where to? Not even to know if this is a stupid bug or just a method to spy on you would make me stop to use such kind of system, because I couldn't put my trust on it. Try to place a trojan horse in open source software. In software that comes in it's source code to you and where you can alter the code if it does not work properly for you. I bet, that within a week there would be people that would question this code fragments and replace this package with an own version without that spying crap. A system or third party software you use on your system should never ever take control about your system or dictate the way you can use your machine. If it does, kick the software and/or the whole system.

That's my point of view.

> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9184120,00.htm

> http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...-network-speed
Last edited by mon2908; 03-09-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #69
Zero

Not as safe as LFS+ iptables+ apparmor,selinux hybrid
there is no such thing as as safe, there only as safer, you may love windows, but even you if you have any intelligence know that linux/bsd is superior in security, anything else would mean your a fan boy, because can you provide you proof? where iptables and bsd's firewall as shown that windows firewall doesnt hold a candle to it.

face it security on windows is nowhere near Linux or bsd's security. all fan boyisum aside I will even admit BSD has better security over Linux because i know it's true, so stop trying to advertise fud, you and I both know without a router or nothing just a single connection vista has not chance agent linux when it comes to functionality + secuirty

Mon , listen buddy both me and you know that Linux is better, but we are in a thread where windows is always going to win, i say we stop while we are ahead, and just wait until our victory is at hand, we don't even have to tell people we won, **** them, seriously let the cattle be cattle
Last edited by Zero; 03-09-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #70
peoplessi

You are so full bs I guess you don't even now what TrueCrypt does? EFS? All unheard of? You can close your Vista from outside public traffic, and make it intranet only. It is safe as it gets, Linux / BSD can do the same, but to claim Vista is unprotected is BS. Your argumentaion only shows that you too young to keep the insults away for discussion. If you are unable to prove my point to be "fud" - then don't reply! That only makes you look silly, as it just did. You didn't counterargument my post, nor did you prove it wrong. You need to learn to argument, discuss, in mature manner. "Vista+EFS+BitLocker+TrueCrypt, it's as safe as any homeuser ever needs."

The one thing that astonishes me everytime I read your posts, is the sheer ignorance, you seem to know linux okay, but beyond that you lack in the general knowledge how stuff works. Go and tell your local engineering office to change for Linux, and replace all of their proprietary software with Linux counterparts(if there are any) I use Windows and Linux happily, and have used BSD time to time, still I don't feel the urge to troll every Linux thread, or Windows thread, or BSD thread. I don't do that, but you bring your zealotnism everywhere, call people names when it's the issue at hand that we should be discussing, in this thread Vista. Not linux, not *nix, not *BSD. There are shit loads of OS's and I doubt you even tested them all, and even more skeptic I am towards your Vista experiences.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #71
Zero

Quote:
You are so full bs I guess you don't even now what TrueCrypt does? EFS? All unheard of? You can close your Vista from outside public traffic, and make it intranet only. It is safe as it gets, Linux / BSD can do the same, but to claim Vista is unprotected is BS. Your argumentaion only shows that you too young to keep the insults away for discussion. If you are unable to prove my point to be "fud" - then don't reply! That only makes you look silly, as it just did. You didn't counterargument my post, nor did you prove it wrong. You need to learn to argument, discuss, in mature manner. "Vista+EFS+BitLocker+TrueCrypt, it's as safe as any homeuser ever needs."

The one thing that astonishes me everytime I read your posts, is the sheer ignorance, you seem to know linux okay, but beyond that you lack in the general knowledge how stuff works. Go and tell your local engineering office to change for Linux, and replace all of their proprietary software with Linux counterparts(if there are any) I use Windows and Linux happily, and have used BSD time to time, still I don't feel the urge to troll every Linux thread, or Windows thread, or BSD thread. I don't do that, but you bring your zealotnism everywhere, call people names when it's the issue at hand that we should be discussing, in this thread Vista. Not linux, not *nix, not *BSD. There are shit loads of OS's and I doubt you even tested them all, and even more skeptic I am towards your Vista experiences.

zealotnism .. lol nowe that funny, that takes the cake right there.. go live in your totally secure world.. as you see it.. fool see ya around i have better thing to do to then post in a form with an ignorent member who thing for a second that something is ttoally secure.. your a ******* noob at best *******
Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #72
peoplessi

Yeah, here we go again, why don't you just prove my point wrong then? Instead of acting like 5 year old.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #73
mon2908
My systems do not even launch until you give them the pass to encrypt the file systems at boot up. The only partition that is not encrypted is the one with the bootloader. My systems run one really small /boot partition and one lvm with my eight different volumes that ask at bootup for the dmcrypt/LUKS pass (no it is not AES encrypted :-P), if you do not have the pass you cannot even get access on this eight volumes if you try to bypass the system with a rescue-disk/dvd. Sure, you could kill the logical volume but you won't get on my files. (Maybe you'll get my pass, if you offer me a vacation in Guantanamo with Lynndie England as my personal ... no, think she should get a job at Microsoft to go and brainwash people to use Vista and call it the best os of all time. And this guy she should start to convince first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a2zqRc1jvs )

What a statement out of the mouth of Bill Gates. No wonder he left Microsoft and put his money in a mexican brewer

> http://gizmodo.com/336644/bill-gates...-mexican-beer]

@zero: You forget to mention bastille or do you take hand on all this possible settings without this nice little tool?

@peoplessi: Truecrypt first existed on Linux and later was ported to windows with this nice GUI to encrypt your folders. Nevertheless one really great toy to protect your files.

@all others: Anybody experience with this software? Feedback would be nice.
> http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/
Last edited by mon2908; 03-09-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #74
Yenji

Ugh, why is it everytime a Windows thread comes up people feel the need to ruin it with stupid arguments of my OS is better then yours?

Whether you like Windows or not doesn't matter... the fact of the matter is most of the world uses Windows and will likely always use Windows. It doesn't matter if alternate OS's are available because your average person is not going to bother to learn them. They want to be able to turn on the computer, have it do everything for them and then go to work / friends / relatives and see the exact same configuration on that computer as well.

This doesn't make them "cattle" or any other stupid name calling. Everyone in this world will take the most functionaility they can get with the least amount effort FOR EVERYTHING. To go even further this is why people PAY in order to have even less effort. Why? Because there are more important things in life then some stupid argument like what OS you use... such as friends and family.

So in the end it doesn't really matter. If you want to use Windows, go ahead. If you want to use something else then knock yourself out. But if you really want to compare the two then just make your own thread about it instead of hijacking a thread meant for one purpose and one purpose alone.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #75
mon2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenji View Post
Ugh, why is it everytime a Windows thread comes up people feel the need to ruin it with stupid arguments of my OS is better then yours?

Whether you like Windows or not doesn't matter... the fact of the matter is most of the world uses Windows and will likely always use Windows.
Me thinks that you do not have the slightest idea of the world and only believe in what marketing is telling you. I can assure you that there exist more people in Asia than in the United States and believe me, Microsoft does only play a minor role in this countries. I always hear the tale about copied Windows Versions but fact is they use Linux more often and also port it to their game consoles than buy the equipment to bring Windows bloatware to life.

Sometimes I ask myself if in the eyes of Americans the world really looks like this if I hear such fud.

I am not the maker of this map, so it seems I am not alone in my belief.

> http://www.electronista.com/articles...f.vista.china/
Last edited by mon2908; 03-09-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #76
ADM

And thanks to mon this thread has now served it's purpose.