Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Software Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #81
Jeff

Re: Canadian copy right bill
As I was searching around, I found this:

Quote:
Bill C-61, An Act to amend the Copyright Act, was a bill tabled in 2008 during the second session of the 39th Canadian Parliament by Minister of Industry Jim Prentice. The bill died on the table when the 39th Parliament was dissolved prematurely and an election was called by the Governor General MichaŽlle Jean at Prime Minister Stephen Harper's request on September 7, 2008
Looks like it died on the table. That's good news.

Sorry for the bump, but this is important news.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #82
Zero

Indeed it is good news!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:23 AM   #83
ZaphodB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Also no one is denying they "steal" if you want to call it that, If I buy music from a store I should be entitled to play it on anything I want to, DRM protected or not, I also have the right to back it up, and in canada you can make as many copies are you want as long as you never sell them, or give them away to anyone. This means I can put the same song on 50 devices and as long as these devices stay in my possession I am not breaking any laws.

Until the every CD comes with a EULA (which they won't) This is the way it should be. It's not like you are renting the song, you bought that data, you are entitled to play that data back in any way you wish.
I agree, you should be able to put music you buy onto any device you own to listen to it. The problem is, 80% of the people who are anti-DRM (not talking about you Zero) are also the people who pass out music/movies/DVDs on torrents and illegal sites. These people are the reason these bills and such keep coming up in more and more countries, not just the US. I'm sure a music artist from Sri-Lanka (just a "pulled off the top of my head country example) doesn't want his/her music downloaded for free where he/she gets no money for his/her talent. Until people stop the illegal "sharing" of music/movies/DVDs/etc., DRM will be a necessary evil. It inconveniences the people who legally purchase said items, but so does a lot of other things in life. That's my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #84
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodB View Post
I agree, you should be able to put music you buy onto any device you own to listen to it. The problem is, 80% of the people who are anti-DRM (not talking about you Zero) are also the people who pass out music/movies/DVDs on torrents and illegal sites. These people are the reason these bills and such keep coming up in more and more countries, not just the US. I'm sure a music artist from Sri-Lanka (just a "pulled off the top of my head country example) doesn't want his/her music downloaded for free where he/she gets no money for his/her talent. Until people stop the illegal "sharing" of music/movies/DVDs/etc., DRM will be a necessary evil. It inconveniences the people who legally purchase said items, but so does a lot of other things in life. That's my 2 cents worth.
Sadly ZaphodB the artists don't see even 1/4 of the money that they album makes, if a cd is 15.99 there not going to even come close to $2, Where artists make there money is on tours and shows, where some tickets cost hundreds of dollars and almost all of it goes to the artists. The artists are not the ones crying (The chilli pepers are an acception, there just *****s) it's the music labels, if it where the artists, the smashing pumpkins, NIN and some others wouldn't have made there music availble for free.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #85
ZaphodB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Sadly ZaphodB the artists don't see even 1/4 of the money that they album makes, if a cd is 15.99 there not going to even come close to $2, Where artists make there money is on tours and shows, where some tickets cost hundreds of dollars and almost all of it goes to the artists. The artists are not the ones crying (The chilli pepers are an acception, there just *****s) it's the music labels, if it where the artists, the smashing pumpkins, NIN and some others wouldn't have made there music availble for free.
There are more exceptions than you think. But I agree, the common pop artists maybe see 0.1 cent on the dollar. But artist like Todd Rundgren (sp?), ELO, Metallica, etc. see about 30 cents to the dollar, and considering how much is sold, that's nothing to sneeze at. Either way it's the record companies that see a majority of the profit, but then they take a majority of the expense and risk. Look at how many artist that they record/make the cd/distribute that just sit on the shelves and collect dust because the artist is awful or just made an awful album. Then the record companies don't see a profit, they see a loss.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #86
Daveman

The artists who whine about their music being pirated/misused are all god-awful anyway. The small and independent artists would care less because, yes, their money comes from shows. Hell, I know a few independent artists in town who really don't care if you download their stuff because they just want to get their name out there. They'd probably give out CDs but they need to make back some of the printing costs so they have to sell those.

SSBB: 0087-2275-1699
PSN ID: DavishBliff
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #87
Yenji

The bill died on the table... this is good. But does this mean it can't be revived after the election? Damn major news sites not reporting the bill dying... god forbid we have a follow up

It's sad how long the artists being screwed goes back too. Decades ago it was hard to get that information out, but I think a lot of people are more aware of it now in the internet age.