Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Software Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-27-2006, 12:16 AM   #121
Jeff

Re: Somebody at M$ needs slapped........ HARD
All these issues with Vista that I'm hearing makes me want to stick with XP more. Nothing against Microsoft, but I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of problems and incompatibilities, and other stuff. Besides, XP will still be supported when Vista is released. Not like they're going to just drop support for it. I think they still support 2000 and 98 do they not? Well maybe not 98, who knows. My brother's recently built computer is getting XP SP2 as well as mine when I get it built by next weekend.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #122
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
But for some reason, using the iPod as a disk drive on a PC always fux0rz the [About] Menu on the iPod. The only fix was hooking it up to a Mac. Grrr... I want to know my sizes on the fly.
Not to mention that only non-music related directories on an Ipod will show up in Win explorer. Revealing hidden files didn't work either. I had to buy some damn 3rd party program just to view Ipod as a true external drive.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #123
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Arrow Re: Somebody at M$ needs slapped........ HARD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
All these issues with Vista that I'm hearing makes me want to stick with XP more. Nothing against Microsoft, but I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of problems and incompatibilities, and other stuff. Besides, XP will still be supported when Vista is released. Not like they're going to just drop support for it. I think they still support 2000 and 98 do they not? Well maybe not 98, who knows. My brother's recently built computer is getting XP SP2 as well as mine when I get it built by next weekend.
XP had similar if not worse issues at release.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #124
Llama Gibbz

When XP was first released all of my hardware at least had a working generic driver.(especially usb devices)
Perhaps i was lucky.

IMO,plug and play didnt truly work until XP was released.

However i think it was moronic that microsofts 2 biggest flag ships dont work together.(zune+vista)
Old 11-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #125
Scotty

Zune and Vista both RTMed at the same time. There was no time to make the Zune client compatible with Vista RTM, so they shipped what they had, which was compatible only with XP SP2 or XP MCE 2005 Rollup Update 2 + 2006 Oct Rollup Update.

As Vista has been RTM for close to 3 weeks, hopefully MS has made progress on a Vista-compatible version of the Zune software.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #126
Altered Reality

Quote:
Want an external hard drive? Buy an external hard drive. I never understood this. People complain when you can't store other files on an MP3 player, but they don't care at all when you can.
Actually, I received an MP3 player last Christmas, and I mostly used it as an external hard drive.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:09 PM   #127
Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Reality View Post
Actually, I received an MP3 player last Christmas, and I mostly used it as an external hard drive.
That's just because you probably have more use for an external hard drive than for an MP3 player.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #128
Scotty

Zune now supports Vista.

I don't know when the install file became available, but the digital signature is dated 12-Dec-06, so it hasn't been available for very long.

The prior install file had a digital signature dated 31-Oct-06, a few weeks before Zune (and Vista) were RTM.

Although they missed Vista RTM by a month, they beat Vista general availability by 6 weeks.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #129
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
That's just because you probably have more use for an external hard drive than for an MP3 player.
I haven't used a walkman of anykind in ages, so I don't need an mp3 player for anything. And my car's sound deck supports MP3 CD's.