Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Software Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 05:35 PM   #41
Jeff

Re: Windows 7 Public RC Released
I was a little skeptical about this whole Windows 7 thing, but it seems it will give me quite a boost in some games that use multi-core CPUs as I was reading on the net.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 PM   #42
IceColdDuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I was a little skeptical about this whole Windows 7 thing, but it seems it will give me quite a boost in some games that use multi-core CPUs as I was reading on the net.
I like the fact that the memory usage is less than Vista. Idle Vista used for me like 40% of memory with 2gb of ram, idle Windows 7 uses only 25% : ).
Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #43
Jeff

Got it up and running again. Just installing updates and essential programs. So far so good.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #44
Inanimate Carbon Rod

you are running RC1 right?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #45
Jeff

Yup, I have the RC1 version. I went back to Vista, but then came back to Windows 7 since I heard good things.
Last edited by Jeff; 05-31-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #46
IceColdDuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
you are running RC1 right?
No im running 7137 which I find faster and more stable than RC1.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #47
Inanimate Carbon Rod

I wasn't talking to you.

Anyway, 7137 is still under the umbrella of RC1 until RC2 is released.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #48
Jeff

Heard there is going to be another release sometime during mid June. Not sure what build it is, but during mid June is when the MS Gold Partners will be getting a look at it.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #49
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdDuke View Post
I like the fact that the memory usage is less than Vista. Idle Vista used for me like 40% of memory with 2gb of ram, idle Windows 7 uses only 25% : ).
I had Win7 idleing 50% of my 4GB, and now that I upgraded to 8GB its at 25% (still 2GB used either way).
Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #50
Yatta

Windows 7 coming October 22, 2009.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47...-22nd#comments
Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #51
Phayzon

Awesome, cant wait!

I know theres been a few articles floating around, but are there anything that confirm some set in stone versions? I'd imagine Home, Pro/Business and Ultimate at the very least.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #52
Jeff

I was wanting to set up my Asus Xonar DX speakers, but I noticed that Asus didn't have a Windows 7 64-bit driver out. I decided to give the Vista 64 driver a try and see if it would work, and it did. That's weird. Thought you would need a Windows 7 driver if you're running on Windows 7.

BTW, does Windows 7 have an official name like Vista, XP and such or is it just called 7?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #53
Yatta

'Seven" is the official name.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #54
Crosma

Exclamation Re: Windows 7 Public RC Released
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
BTW, does Windows 7 have an official name like Vista, XP and such or is it just called 7?
The number 7 is associated with luck (probably something to do with dice, but no-one's totally sure why at this point) in Western culture (and some Eastern cultures). So the number has character in-and-of itself. It's like calling it "Lucky Windows". Plus "Windows XP" and "Windows Vista" are two of the worst names for any product ever.

They stopped using version numbers because they realised that they'd prefer it if they could enforce trademarks on each distinct release, and you just plain aren't allowed to have a trademark on a number. They must've decided that they don't care anymore, or something. Like I said, caring was making their names suck.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #55
TerminX

7201 leaked.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #56
Delta

People keep saying that every new leak is "faster and smoother" than previous builds. Is it *really* faster, or are people just experiencing placebo over and over? :P
Old 06-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #57
IceColdDuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
7201 leaked.
Im on it now, I cant see much of a difference if any, but Im still confused is this RC2 or part of the SP1 branch?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #58
peoplessi

Without benchmarks, I don't take any of these "feels faster" for truth.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #59
Jeff

For any of you using iTunes on 64-bit Windows 7 and can't seem to get it to work, I found a way where all you need to do is edit a registry entry and it'll sync your iPod and such. You need to go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->WOW6432NODE->Apple Inc.->Apple Mobile Device Support

Then change the version to 2.12.33.0 , and as long as you have the latest iTunes software it should work. Restart your system and you're good to go.

Don't know if that's considered a hack or not, but it's not going to harm anything.
Last edited by Jeff; 06-10-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #60
IceColdDuke
Running 7227 7229 leaked. Im going to stay on 7227 cause its part of the sp1 branch. 7229/7230 are the RC2/RTM escrow build that partners are getting...this is the LAST external build of Windows 7 before RTM supposadlly.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #61
TerminX

I'm not even bothering with 722x... the builds were so soon after 7201 that I just can't find myself caring about them. Besides, there's no compatibility with beta/RC keys... and the key that comes with the build apparently has problems activating. To me Windows complaining constantly about not being able to activate isn't worth 3 or 4 days worth of fixes + spending hours setting my stuff up again + different numbers stamped on the desktop (yay?).
Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #62
IceColdDuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
I'm not even bothering with 722x... the builds were so soon after 7201 that I just can't find myself caring about them. Besides, there's no compatibility with beta/RC keys... and the key that comes with the build apparently has problems activating. To me Windows complaining constantly about not being able to activate isn't worth 3 or 4 days worth of fixes + spending hours setting my stuff up again + different numbers stamped on the desktop (yay?).
Public beta/RC keys do not work, but i activated it with my MSDN key .
Last edited by IceColdDuke; 06-11-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #63
Inanimate Carbon Rod

"A leaked Best Buy memo says the retailer plans to pre-sell Windows 7 upgrades for $50."

windows 7 upgrades from vista.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #64
Phayzon

Which editions? Or is it something like upgrade to the same edition you had (Home Prem -> Home Prem, Ultimate -> Ultimate, etc)?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #65
LeadBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
The number 7 is associated with luck (probably something to do with dice, but no-one's totally sure why at this point) in Western culture (and some Eastern cultures). So the number has character in-and-of itself. It's like calling it "Lucky Windows". Plus "Windows XP" and "Windows Vista" are two of the worst names for any product ever.
I'd heard it was related to the amount of PC releases of Windows which were a major release or something like that, not counting server stuff, or minor BS like media center, mobile stuff etc. Heres what I can think of if I count:

1. Windows 3.1
2. Windows 95
3. Windows 98
4. Windows ME
5. Windows NT
6. Windows Vista
7. Windows 7?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #66
Phayzon

I thought Win9x was "Windows 4", XP 5 and Vista 6. Considering Windows 1.0, 2.0 and 3.x were the first 3.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #67
Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadBullet View Post
I'd heard it was related to the amount of PC releases of Windows which were a major release or something like that, not counting server stuff, or minor BS like media center, mobile stuff etc. Heres what I can think of if I count:

1. Windows 3.1
2. Windows 95
3. Windows 98
4. Windows ME
5. Windows NT
6. Windows Vista
7. Windows 7?
I saw in an online Microsoft interview that the "Windows 7" name does have to do with the major releases of Windows, but I can't find the link of where I saw this. I think it may actually be:

1) Windows 1 (not sure about this, but something had to come before "3")
2) Windows 2 (again, not sure)
3) Windows 3.1/3.11/Workgroups
4) Windows 95/98/ME (they share the same kernel design)
5) Windows XP
6) Windows Vista
7) Windows 7
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #68
Crosma

Quote:
I'd heard it was related to the amount of PC releases of Windows which were a major release or something like that
You heard wrong, because the history of Windows is such a mess that there's no way to do the count without being dishonest and/or unreasonable.

Quote:
1. Windows 3.1 [...]
You think Windows 3.1 is the first version of Windows? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
they share the same kernel design
If you do it by kernel design:
1) Windows 1.0-4.9 (includes 95/98/ME).
2) Windows NT 3.1-6.1 (includes 2000/XP/Vista/7).

I don't understand why people are so eager to buy into marketing. It's Windows 7 because Microsoft's marketing department decided that it is, for the reasons that I stated previously.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #69
peoplessi

Honestly, you don't have to write to these threads. Thank you.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #70
Crosma

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
Honestly, you don't have to write to these threads. Thank you.
Neither do you. What's your point?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #71
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Microsoft sets Windows 7 pricing, upgrade programs
Old 06-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #72
IceColdDuke
This week I borrowed my friends MacBook pro. I've used Red Hat before mabye about 2 years ago, and I feel that Windows 7 is more clean, and useful than either operating system. I've been using build 7260 sense it leaked and i havent had any problems with it. To me Windows 7 feels more like longhorn, without the memory leaks .
Old 06-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #73
Jeff

I would go with Windows 7 Home Premium, except I need the XP mode function. However, I hardly think that's worth paying another $50 for according to their promotion they've got on where if you buy it now you'll save 50% or so.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #74
Mr.Fibbles

I pre-ordered 7 Pro today off of Amazon for $100. I made my decision before even really testing the RC I have totally but I like what I see. It will take some time to get used to the Start menu since I have been on XP for so long but I will get used to it.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #75
smashed pumpkin

I have a few questions about Windows 7 and some future upgrading, hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

1. Is Windows 7 going to be worth the upgrade? I'm currently running Vista Home Premium, and I can't say I've been overly pleased with the performance. Vista seems a bit unstable (Service Pack 1 is installed), and seems to be a memory hog too. Would 7 run better/smoother?

2. Currently I'm running 4GB DDR2 ram, w/ a 680i SLI mobo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this mobo can run 64bit. Since I'm running Vista Home Premium, I'm in 32bit, and I cannot upgrade past 4GB. By going 64bit, I can upgrade to 8GB DDR2. I'm assuming Windows 7 is 64bit, but is that for both versions (Home Premium and Pro)?.

3. Would upgrading to 8GB DDR2 be worth it? Game-wise, I'm getting good performance (Intel Quad Core 2.6 overclocked to 3.2, Geforce 8800 GTX SLI) but sometimes I feel like Vista bogs down some everyday multi-tasking.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #76
ReadOnly

With DNF out of the way, it is time for an upgrade this year once Windows 7 hit the stores.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #77
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashed pumpkin View Post
I have a few questions about Windows 7 and some future upgrading, hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

1. Is Windows 7 going to be worth the upgrade? I'm currently running Vista Home Premium, and I can't say I've been overly pleased with the performance. Vista seems a bit unstable (Service Pack 1 is installed), and seems to be a memory hog too. Would 7 run better/smoother?

2. Currently I'm running 4GB DDR2 ram, w/ a 680i SLI mobo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this mobo can run 64bit. Since I'm running Vista Home Premium, I'm in 32bit, and I cannot upgrade past 4GB. By going 64bit, I can upgrade to 8GB DDR2. I'm assuming Windows 7 is 64bit, but is that for both versions (Home Premium and Pro)?.

3. Would upgrading to 8GB DDR2 be worth it? Game-wise, I'm getting good performance (Intel Quad Core 2.6 overclocked to 3.2, Geforce 8800 GTX SLI) but sometimes I feel like Vista bogs down some everyday multi-tasking.

Thanks.
1. Yes and Yes.
2. It can. Windows 7 comes in both flavors (32&64bit).
3. Whether more than 4 gigs of ram is necessary depends on what you do. I have 6 gigs and rarely get above 3.5.

Download the release candidate and try it your self!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #78
IceColdDuke
7260 is more stable and faster than 7100(RC) if you know where to get it...
Old 06-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #79
smashed pumpkin

Here's another quick question Inanimate, (sorta ignorant though):

I was looking at Best Buy's website for the preorder, and didn't see any options for 32 or 64 bit. Are there seperate packages/versions for this? Or is there one version, allowing you to specify upon installation if you want 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #80
Scotty

Arrow Re: Windows 7 Public RC Released
According to Microsoft, all versions of Windows 7 support 64-bit.

I assume it will be like Vista, with both 32 and 64-bit DVDs in a single package.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdDuke View Post
7260 is more stable and faster than 7100(RC) if you know where to get it...
I took a quick look, and wasn't sure which ones were legit, and which were chock-full of backdoors and virii and worms.