Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #81
Steve

Re: I'm loving windows 7
I'm too lazy to even VM it
Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #82
Morbid

Post Re: I'm loving windows 7
I was reading at some site recently that you can remove the text of the minimized windows in the XP taskbar by just changing a number in a .dll file (like 1022 to 1030) and make it "look" like the one in win7...

Now I don't say it is the same - for that you just have to see this link where with one simple .exe you have the new win 7 taskbar (without any install or system change!!!) - but imagine with the above example the cheap trickeries Micro$oft uses, and demands for these ridiculous money when everything (from the system structure to the performance) is nothing more than upgraded versions of the same build since NT...
It is like one would pay 350 golds for upgrading from OpenSuse 11.0 to 11.1... This is just ridiculous, provocative, unthinkable. Stealing practices IMO what M$ is doing and the funny thing is that people fall so easily into them.

Anyway here some more "interesting" stuff for XP users
Last edited by Morbid; 01-18-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #83
peoplessi

This thread isn't for you obviously. Safe to say, the taskbar isn't the only thing that makes Windows 7 better than XP.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #84
Morbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post

Safe to say, the taskbar isn't the only thing that makes Windows 7 better than XP.

I think you missed the whole point.
Last edited by Morbid; 01-19-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #85
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Morbid - no one cares.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #86
Jiminator

W7 is not XP with a new UI. True the UI is different, but the more important thing is the protected mode in which most apps will run. Maybe that is not important for your system but it is pretty critical for reducing the number of exploits that can be run on the OS.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #87
Waiter

Getting W7 for my desktop. Hopefully it will make networking as simple as they claim, but since I got my laptop with W7 I have done nothing but swearing after trying to make the networks work between it and one XP- and one Vista machine.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #88
Morbid

Post Re: I'm loving windows 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
Morbid - no one cares.
It depends. Software pirates, kids and students probably not. But I do because I have to pay a lot for living, rent etc. and I suppose many like me also. 350 gold for mostly aesthetic changes is not a wise expenditure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminator View Post
W7 is not XP with a new UI. True the UI is different, but the more important thing is the protected mode in which most apps will run. Maybe that is not important for your system but it is pretty critical for reducing the number of exploits that can be run on the OS.
This is nothing new. I have always used a user account with password since the days of NT. I only had to invest some time to understand how local policies work, how to give rights to application files and registry entries. Now it is done automatically. Big deal...

Oh, and don't think that Microsoft won't release security patches every month again due to the "protected mode", lol. The government of Germany first and France a few days ago have already advised their citizens -for the first time officially- to not use Internet Explorer due to its security holes...

Anyway, enjoy your Windows 7. (no sarcasm)
Last edited by Morbid; 01-19-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #89
Scotty

Goofy Re: I'm loving windows 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
The government of Germany first and France a few days ago have already advised their citizens -for the first time officially- to not use Internet Explorer due to its security holes...
I jokingly posted "IE = sheie?" on another forum when I first read about that...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #90
Jiminator

its a mistake to think that viruses and exploits are an IE problem. I have done security related work for our company. The correct way to view things is that you have a finite number of resources (employees in your company) battling against an enemy with an unknown and unlimited number of resources (everyone in the world seeking to exploit your product).

needless to say the exploiters are going to work on the easiest product to exploit that can give them the largest "customer" base. Right now that is IE 6+7. Firefox gains in popularity - you are seeing more and more firefox exploits. If Mac ever gets 30-40% market share then many will shift to that platform. It was reported last week that the installed windows 7 base is greater than all the macs combined.

and true what you said, XP/NT already supports UAC, just not in a format that anyone will willingly use.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #91
NutWrench

What Jiminator said. Hackers aren't fiendishly clever supervillians. In my experience, a lot of security breaches happen due to: dumb users and lazy/clueless sysadmins.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #92
Da_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Windows 7 is the best Windows yet. To not upgrade to it is silly.
Even if you computer can't run it properly?

I don't think I'll ever move to 7. My current computer should work fine for me for a couple of years, and that's when Windows 8 will come out.

Ok, in case Windows 8 is an epic fail, I'll move to 7.

For the crappy computers like mine, XP's the best yet.

(I don't hate 7, it's just my compy can't take it) >>> But I just heard good things of it.

Let's rock!

Stay Tuned. Coming WID.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:26 AM   #93
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Lurker View Post
Even if you computer can't run it properly?
Works fine and dandy on a 600mhz machine with 512mb RAM. Better than XP and better than Ubuntu (that did surprise me)
Old 01-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #94
Scotty

Ooo Re: I'm loving windows 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
What Jiminator said. Hackers aren't fiendishly clever supervillians. In my experience, a lot of security breaches happen due to: dumb users and lazy/clueless sysadmins.
Someone I work with was foolish enough to fall for the "You have received an e-greeting card" scam and clicked on "Hallmark.exe"...
Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #95
Jeff

That new SSD I bought put my Windows score up to a 6.9 with my GTX 280 having the lowest score. Still pretty good though. Was 5.9 with my old hard drive, now the new SSD registers as 7.0.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #96
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
It depends. Software pirates, kids and students probably not. But I do because I have to pay a lot for living, rent etc. and I suppose many like me also. 350 gold for mostly aesthetic changes is not a wise expenditure.
Most likely students have to pay for their living also, most students only get a discount on Windows 7. Also, OEM version would have most likely been enough, it's some 120bucks? Even cheaper if you bought early. Obviously, it's not for everyone though.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #97
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
That new SSD I bought put my Windows score up to a 6.9 with my GTX 280 having the lowest score. Still pretty good though. Was 5.9 with my old hard drive, now the new SSD registers as 7.0.
How is your GTX 280 giving you 6.9? My graphics are 7.3 for both. My CPU and RAM are both 7.2. I got a standard SATA drive so my HDD is 5.9.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #98
Jeff

Not sure. I tested it again and I got a 7.2.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #99
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
most students only get a discount on Windows 7
I actually have 2 versions of Windows 7 and I got both of them for free (nd legally, too!)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #100
Steve

Same here
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #101
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Works fine and dandy on a 600mhz machine with 512mb RAM. Better than XP and better than Ubuntu (that did surprise me)
I loaded the RC on to a friend's 1300mhz machine with 512 with a freshly formatted hard drive, and it had a cheap ECS board with a TNT2 card. Not only did it run better than XP, it made the onboard network device functional right from the initial load and got the rest of the drivers off the internet as soon as I plugged it into my network. Pretty surprising that a new OS would support such old hardware at all.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 01-27-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #102
The Commander

I have tried Windows 7 twice now, both times were complete failures.
All games I tired had quite a performance decrease, only one that didn't seem to change was Doom 3.

Also, I need to use auto arrange and what I surprise the second time i installed they still haven't fixed that shit.
I will only move to Win 7 when they put back the option for auto arrange and I have a new machine.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #103
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
I have tried Windows 7 twice now, both times were complete failures.
All games I tired had quite a performance decrease, only one that didn't seem to change was Doom 3.
Just checking: you did bother to update your drivers, right? Also you came from XP so maybe your machine is just too weak to use Windows 7 nd play games at the same time though I dunno about that
Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #104
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
Just checking: you did bother to update your drivers, right?
I wasn't born yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
Also you came from XP so maybe your machine is just too weak to use Windows 7 nd play games at the same time though I dunno about that
It was a clean install (formatted HD) Windows 7 proclaims to run faster etc yada yada and enhance gaming, so why it should run slower is very stupid.

But as long as anything I need runs with XP I won't be moving anytime soon.
And to any graphics whores, I don't care about DX10 graphics.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #105
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Sounds like a personal problem or it could be because you were using an illegal copy.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #106
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inanimate carbon rod View Post
sounds like a personal problem or it could be because you were using an illegal copy.
qft..
Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #107
Steve

Like most New Zealanders... he didn't bother to pay for it

I didn't, Uni gave me free legit copies \o/

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Quote:
I wasn't born yesterday.
It was a clean install (formatted HD) Windows 7 proclaims to run faster etc yada yada and enhance gaming, so why it should run slower is very stupid.
If I can run this on a 600mhz PC with 512mb ram and it runs FASTER than XP or a linux distro... you're doing something wrong. Something oh so wrong.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #108
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I didn't, Uni gave me free legit copies \o/
I got one through college (Pro 64-bit) and another free Windows 7 deal when I bought my laptop (Home Premium)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #109
The Commander

Steve is more than welcome to travel the 80km to get proven wrong if he is up for that.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #110
Steve

Quote:
Steve is more than welcome to travel the 80km to get proven wrong if he is up for that.
A screen shot of the packaging with you holding it would do Seriously though, Win7 is faster than XP. I don't know what the heck you are doing wrong.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #111
Sang

Maybe dust is the problem?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #112
8IronBob

Well, I'm running Win 7 off a Corsair SSD, so that'll really boost the performance upon refreshing the WPI, it lowered the SSD index to 6.9, for who knows what reason, that's what I get for getting a Samsung NAND, I suppose. Of course, I'm running games and other non-essential apps off my conventional 640GB HDD, that sounds like a good tradeoff, to avoid any bottlenecking or stress on the SSD, or to Windows 7 for that matter.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #113
Mariamus

I reinstalled 7 today (moving from beta to release)
I still love it. <3 It's still fast and delicious and I just want to make out with it! XD
Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #114
The Stinger
Just installed Windows 7, had a bit of a problem with the grub4dos mbr.
Runs fast, but I don't like the theme. I also disable those stupid maximize minimize animations.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #115
The Stinger
Restored quick launch, the program pinning isn't really efficient and quick launch gives you a 1 click program start.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #116
Jiminator

you can shift-click to start a new instance on the pinned bar. I would have preferred double click but shift-click is ok
Old 02-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #117
Rellik66

middle click also starts a new instance
Old 02-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #118
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stinger View Post
Restored quick launch, the program pinning isn't really efficient and quick launch gives you a 1 click program start.
Program pinning makes quick launch obsolete.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #119
Morbid

can you pinup a specific folder?
Last edited by Morbid; 02-06-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #120
ZuljinRaynor

Yes. They all show up under the Windows Explorer pined icon.