Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Software Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
nickel_black
Maya vs 3Ds Max for beginners
Hello there,

I am confused whether to learn Autodeskís Maya or Autodeskís 3Ds Max first. I did some research... they are both the same price, both of their cases look appealing (and by the same amount). So, I'm really confused.

Let's get back to business. I am a student and as such, I have limited time for learning these programs. I am also planning on learning the other after learning one of them. A read that they are extremely time consuming to learn and thatís what I lack in. Online articles and discussions indicate that 3Ds Max is good in creating game engines and that kinda stuff, Maya is more powerful in movie related stuffs. Both of them can do vice versa but not so efficiently, and I don't care as I am neither a game developer nor a movie producer. I just want to learn the easier one first so that I can save time learning the other lately and still being able to do works until then. The availability of eBooks and tutorials is necessary, but not to decide over the easier program.

My friends and classmates can chat in facebook and do light gaming at their best, so I never even thought about getting their recommendation. I donít know any professionals in this kinda stuff. So, I depend solely on your advices and recommendations. You see, I'm a student, and those programs are $$$$, so I donít want to make mistakes.

My qualifications? Of course you may ask. Let me think... I am a semi-pro grade Photoshop CS4 user (apart from those 3D features in the CS4 Extended), I can do almost anything with 2D images, but, never mind, not 3D. I also started exploring After Effects CS4, and can do less complex things. The reason for mentioning these is to give you an idea about what type of person I am, what type of interface I am familiar with, and decide the best program for me at this time. Let me mention again, I am just a newbie in 3D, but donít shoot me! I will also try to master them while learning Maya or 3Ds Max.

Thank you for your time, any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

M. A. Akif Mustofa Khan Shuvo
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
The Stinger
Re: Maya vs 3Ds Max for beginners
I would go for 3Ds Max, it's a bit less steep, still steep though.
A lot of people use it compared to Maya, so you should be able to get more help.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
IceColdDuke
I personally recommend maya, if you can use maya, learning max isnt that diffucult. Someone can correct me if im wrong, but alot of studios that are using max(because there tools are max based) are slowlly moving over to maya, because the price cap between the two products has changed drastically sense Maya 2010.

Mel/Maya Python/Maya API(c++) programmers get paid ALOT of money.
Last edited by IceColdDuke; 02-10-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
8IronBob

I did like Maya until Autodesk bought out Alias, which I was NOT a fan of. Not only did they get rid of the free Personal Learning Edition in place of a 30-day trial, but they make you pay through the nose after that, and they classify you as a business user. Being a UT3/UT2004 mapper/modder, that is not my idea of bringing in new static meshes.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
IceColdDuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
I did like Maya until Autodesk bought out Alias, which I was NOT a fan of. Not only did they get rid of the free Personal Learning Edition in place of a 30-day trial, but they make you pay through the nose after that, and they classify you as a business user. Being a UT3/UT2004 mapper/modder, that is not my idea of bringing in new static meshes.
There student licensing isn't bad, I think its like $150 for Maya 2010. I personally didn't like PLE because there watermark was visually annoying, and that you couldn't load any plugins, etc. For Unreal editing it was nice, they should bring something like that back for the UDK.
Last edited by IceColdDuke; 02-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
8IronBob

Bah, there's always Blender...go figure.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
peoplessi

Both of them have bit quirky GUI's. Either way, for both you will find a lot of tutorials.

It's not really the program that counts, you need to think in 3D that counts more. Being creative and finding solutions. It doesn't take that long to get grips with a new 3D package, but the actual workflow needs time.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
nickel_black
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdDuke View Post
I personally recommend maya, if you can use maya, learning max isnt that diffucult. Someone can correct me if im wrong, but alot of studios that are using max(because there tools are max based) are slowlly moving over to maya, because the price cap between the two products has changed drastically sense Maya 2010.

Mel/Maya Python/Maya API(c++) programmers get paid ALOT of money.
Sorry I didn't understand what u mean.

Money is not a problem (for one though) as I can spend $3500 for a program now, so that doesn't matter. But it will when I make a mistake purchasing the harder one (for beginners in 3D modeling).
Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Delicieuxz

That's like saying it would be a mistake to purchase the "harder" game for beginners, between tic-tac-toe and snakes & ladders. You'll be able to learn either, regardless if one happens to challenge your personal disposition a little more.

Personally, I much prefer the look of Maya.

You can get some great video tutorials for whichever you choose from 3D Buzz.

Also, you can find cheap copies of the software you want on eBay at times, sold as an Educational Edition, which is the full product at a discounted price intended for university students. Here, this package includes both Maya and 3DS Max 2010 for $900. Get that then figure out which one you like more.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Last edited by Delicieuxz; 02-18-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
8IronBob

Wow...good find, Delucieuxz...I knew that Autodesk would have some sort of all-in-one down the pike. Hell of a lot cheaper than what Amazon wanted that for.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 02-19-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #11
nickel_black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post
That's like saying it would be a mistake to purchase the "harder" game for beginners, between tic-tac-toe and snakes & ladders. You'll be able to learn either, regardless if one happens to challenge your personal disposition a little more.

Personally, I much prefer the look of Maya.

You can get some great video tutorials for whichever you choose from 3D Buzz.

Also, you can find cheap copies of the software you want on eBay at times, sold as an Educational Edition, which is the full product at a discounted price intended for university students. Here, this package includes both Maya and 3DS Max 2010 for $900. Get that then figure out which one you like more.
Hmm... Thanks for the link. Excellent deal. I know that not all games seem to be equally "hard" for everyone. I personally am an action gamer. I rock in action games, but am like a "n00b" in sports games. I personally hate those as well. But some of my friends think exactly the opposite. It's a matter of personal taste. So, I can play Unreal Tournament, Crysis, Call of Duty, Battlefield and other action games easily but not any sports games. Similar thing goes for 3Ds Max and Maya. In my first post, I clarified that I am very familiar and comfortable with Adobe Photoshop and After Effects type layout. So, to be more specific, I am looking for the program that is more 'Adobe like'

Looks like most people are recommending Maya... but I don't know if that is more 'Adobe like'....

I could've learnt both, but its After Effects that is gonna need some time to be mastered, and as such, I need to cut a few hours of learnings from 3D programs, without compromising knowledge, thats all.

Every hour counts down here gotta go to the jungle and sleep in peace
Old 02-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
peoplessi

What do you mean by "Adobe like". For me, there's a big difference between AE and PS already, so it's bit vague.

Cinema 4D is pretty good alternative too, check it out.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
nickel_black
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
What do you mean by "Adobe like". For me, there's a big difference between AE and PS already, so it's bit vague.

Cinema 4D is pretty good alternative too, check it out.
Every software is different, but there are some similarities between AE and Photoshop CS4. For example, the menus contain similar tools, working with layers is similar, setting blending mode is similar, aligning layers is similar, installing and using plug-ins are similar blah blah blah blah..... On the other hand, I find Cyberlink Power Director to be completely different.

Thats what I am taking about
Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
peoplessi

You won't find that kind of similarity in 3D packages. Different tools, for different needs. The workflow is just so much different. You should just download the 30day trials and try those programs out, what feels good for you.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #15
nickel_black
Yep, thats right. I'm gonna get those trials decide it for me after the boring exam is over. One more month.........phew
Old 04-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
8IronBob

Well, even tho I do like both Maya and 3DS Max, I'd personally think of not ruling Blender out, either. After all, it's just as capable of doing quite a lot of the same types of meshes and modeling tools, and...there are plenty of tutorials on that as well. Of course, I tried looking all over 3D Buzz to see if they did any tutorials on Blender, but...no go, unfortunately.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
IceColdDuke
If your trying to become self taught to try to get a professional job learning blender is a waste of time.