Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #1561
Ravey
Re: The Jace Hall DNF Footage Thread
Right-click is probably ideal for use/grab, unless there is something important to bind to it like an alternative firing mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennerado
I dont think thats a person, from the video it looked like a giant arm that was picking up the red balls. Almost like it was harvesting them.
Check the picture I posted, it's a hanging body.
Last edited by Ravey; 06-07-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #1562
Betelgeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooger View Post
Nevermind that I said 1up. It's actually IGN's scoopcast.

http://games.ign.com/articles/879/879939p1.html

I would be surprised to see any Duke fan not feel extremely excited after listening to it. Keep in mind, there's no new info or anything; but it's very revealing in other ways I think. The call from Hall starts a little after the middle iirc.
Jace Hall, what a legend.

that was good to hear, it would have been tough not mentioning stuff from dnf you could tell he had a lot more too say.
{ cout << " my mum says im cool... "; return 13; }
Old 06-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #1563
Unbeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravey View Post
Right-click is probably ideal for use/grab, unless there is something important to bind to it like an alternative firing mode.
I use grab for Enter. George confirmed a while ago that all weapons will be having alternate firing modes. "just to good an opportunity to pass up"
so alternate fire is for right mouse button
Old 06-07-2008, 01:55 AM   #1564
Ravey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeholder View Post
I use grab for Enter. George confirmed a while ago that all weapons will be having alternate firing modes. "just to good an opportunity to pass up"
It would work if the alternate fire button was toggle-able.
The controls will hopefully be intuitive and allow you to switch between an alt-fire shoot and an alt-fire toggle, then it wouldn't matter.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 AM   #1565
rockmanekuzu8

Question Re: The Jace Hall DNF Footage Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeholder View Post
What if Grab is for the Interactivity of this game?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:09 AM   #1566
Betelgeuse

I have noticed on other forums and stuff, people are all like "omg, they've been taking so long because they're addicted to WoW..." and i bet more than half of these people are serious, the thing is even though that was a joke, George also made a cocaine and hookers remark, which was funny as, but no one is concerned about that, oh no, it's all WoW's fault.... damn you WoW! *shakes fist*

i figure, if they're dumb enough to blame WoW and not cocaine and hookers, there's something very wrong, even though WoW is probably just as addictive if not more, but you know... it's not an illegal drug, nor is it a hooker. lol

but i guess it's better they blame that imaginary fault rather than the other.

/rant over
Old 06-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #1567
Karthik
WoW is as addictive like the internet.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:32 AM   #1568
Marty

actually, they may have finished the game by now if they were on cocaine
Old 06-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #1569
LarsBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGfire View Post
Nobody comments 2 wonderful naked ladys in bathsuits when Duke Nukem Forever is in the picture
Hahaha thats so true!

"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 06-07-2008, 04:33 AM   #1570
Waiter

Ooo Re: Rumor Alert! Does the Jace Hall Show Scoop Duke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard View Post
this is but a small taste.
But big enough to get stuck in me teeth. Does anyone understand how AGONIZING it is to try to read this thread and buffer the video WITH A 56k MODEM??

Old 06-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #1571
JobivanHiob

56K? Where do you live?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #1572
Altered Reality

Re: Gameplay video in hd, download links
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #1573
Denz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Maybe "Duke Vision" is just night vision (like Duke3d)
It better not be anything else than night vision, maybe just heat vision, but not somekind of "lolhandsomeasskickingvision" shit, really.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #1574
Talos

56.000 views... Not bad - not bad at all!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #1575
Kalki

Re: Rumor Alert! Does the Jace Hall Show Scoop Duke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryche View Post
Gamespot is just pissed cause they haven't got a scoop of DNF ice cream.
I'm starting to think that myself. It's like intentionally mispronouncing the name of the boyfriend of the girl you're trying to hit on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
Glad to hear the ego stuff is actually developer temp stuff. Looked like hit points out of an rpg and breaks immersion imo.
I mock you openly. I never gave those numbers a second thought. I would have been shocked at the possibility of them being left in, had I entertained such an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooger View Post
But nobody has really commented on the most important aspect of DNF up until now; a player, someone who loves Duke as much if not more than many people here, has finally actually said, essentially, that what we're getting is exactly what we're waiting for. I think, for me, that's enough to hold me until DNF is ready to show up again. It's great to see that much energy coming from someone who's in the same situation we're in (minus having played Duke of course), letting us know that the game isn't just another FPS, but a game that's going to bring us back to Duke and yet forward in many other ways.

I recommend people listen to that podcast if they haven't already. Pretty great stuff, and Jace sounds like a pretty awesome guy.
I've isolated his podcast interview using Goldwave and have played it many times now. I agree with your views. He did very well.

I loved his 1up interview too.

On to Duke -- of course, it was a work in progress, but even so it still was amazing. I mean, it felt like a full-on game. I've seen things shipped in far worse states of completion (Blood 2, cough), but you have to realize that what these guys are doing is attempting to achieve that "next level" and the sheer amount of detail, polish and plans that I saw going into this game helps me better understand where a lot of the development time is going. When you buy this game, you will be pleased. No question.

So yes, I saw Duke, and you will too in my show. Enjoy. I did. It looks great!

1UP: So it was worth the 12-year wait?

Hall: This might be the only game in history worth waiting 12 years for, perhaps longer.... It was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
Jace Hall, what a legend.

that was good to hear, it would have been tough not mentioning stuff from dnf you could tell he had a lot more too say.
He certainly has ingrained himself as one of the legends in this grand DNF epic, hasn't he? It was heart warming to listen to him talk (or rather attempt to talk) about the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter View Post
But big enough to get stuck in me teeth. Does anyone understand how AGONIZING it is to try to read this thread and buffer the video WITH A 56k MODEM??

Man, I feel for you.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Last edited by Kalki; 06-07-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #1576
KaiserSoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaloS View Post
I think it's clear, that it's an in-game cutscene. Notice that there is no crosshair in this scene and Duke might very well be not able to shoot in this time. Now the question is: did this cut-scene got activated by Duke throwing a quick pipebomb behind the fence, or did the pipebomb came from somewhere else?
Either way it's clear that it is a pipebomb (notice the damage indicator which shows a pipebomb like in the weapon selection menu).

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpo...postcount=1362

Watch the scene closely. Jace doesn't do a thing. The npc is trying to get through the gate because of a bomb in back of him on the ground(which is highlighted in yellow...you can see it) it goes off and blows the guy up.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #1577
Unbeholder

Quote:

i hear ya, im 64K my ADSL is always capped. This is a pain, can't imagine how your feeling

Quote:
I think it's clear, that it's an in-game cutscene. Notice that there is no crosshair in this scene and Duke might very well be not able to shoot in this time. Now the question is: did this cut-scene got activated by Duke throwing a quick pipebomb behind the fence, or did the pipebomb came from somewhere else?
Either way it's clear that it is a pipebomb (notice the damage indicator which shows a pipebomb like in the weapon selection menu).
I'm guessing that the person had a pipe bomb on them. perhaps they where trying to blow duke for some reason? 2 guesses why

edit.... beat me to it Kaiser
Last edited by Unbeholder; 06-07-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #1578
X-Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
Hall: This might be the only game in history worth waiting 12 years for, perhaps longer.... It was good.
"You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" hyperbole, as far as I'm concerned.
Jason Hall is a clearly biased party in this.

Not that I dislike him, I thought he had a very natural presence in front of the camera, but IMO this first Jace Hall show was complete fluff (DNF part included).
Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #1579
Tea Monster

Quote:

ROFLMAO - I connect through my apt complexes own phone system and I only get 28kbps!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #1580
Danule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
actually, they may have finished the game by now if they were on cocaine
haha i dunno about that, instead of working on the game they would probably just talk about it for hours and hours on end.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #1581
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

In probably better quality than this, go check it out in the Xbox Live Marketplace.

http://www.3drealms.com/news/2008/06..._high_def.html

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #1582
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

A short update to the Jace Hall show announcements of the last couple of days.

You can now check out the game footage shown from Duke Nukem Forever in high definition on your television! All you need to do is fire up your Xbox 360, and check out the Games Store. If you go into the Games Store, you need to look in the "Games Videos" area, and then the "Independent Videos" subsection. From there you can select the Jace Hall Show!

Episode 1 which includes the interview with Scott Miller & George Broussard, and the footage from Duke Nukem Forever will run you 80 Microsoft points. Jace Hall is working to get the show visible in a slightly more prominent location than this, but in the meantime, this is how you can get to it. Future episodes of his show will be available here as well!

Check it out!

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #1583
Talos

Pretty cool but paying on my xbox for something thats free on the net (even the 720p version is free)... I don't know man. On the other hand 80 points aint much.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #1584
Fisker
The PC-version is ad-supported by the ad up in the upper right.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #1585
timothy2
Quote:
I think it's clear, that it's an in-game cutscene. Notice that there is no crosshair in this scene and Duke might very well be not able to shoot in this time.
You are wrong, check out the video again. There IS a crosshair, just a different shape, this time it's a small circle.Watch the torrented highresolution version. Maybe it's confirmed that you can't kill NPC people? You can't kill strippers? Or maybe you just can't kill this particular guy, but this wasn't a cutscene, definitely. Not to mention the normal, mouse straffing, erratic movements of the player view that always happens when you're in control of the character.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #1586
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post
Not that I dislike him, I thought he had a very natural presence in front of the camera, but IMO this first Jace Hall show was complete fluff (DNF part included).
Beware, hysterical fanboy machine is about to stomp you.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #1587
timothy2
I don't know if you guys noticed, but there's a chance that the Devastator doesn't always have those lights turned on. If you check the footage properly you can see that the Devastator slowly starts to cool off. Maybe after shooting the heat lasts for a while? That would be more realistic than in Duke3d, that's for sure....

Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #1588
Talos

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2 View Post
... Not to mention the normal, mouse straffing, erratic movements of the player view that always happens when you're in control of the character.
Well that doesn't mean it could not be a cut-scene... It could very well be a Half-Life like cut-scene where you are still in control of where to go and where to look you know
As for the small circle: I did watch the crackle.com High Res version and I'm all but certain there was no crosshair - Just the damage indicator.

Care to make a screenshot?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #1589
Karmeck
this is still the only way for those that don't have a 360.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #1590
Malgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
Watch the scene closely. Jace doesn't do a thing. The npc is trying to get through the gate because of a bomb in back of him on the ground(which is highlighted in yellow...you can see it) it goes off and blows the guy up.
That's what leads me to believe it's simply a scripted sequence.

Another question I do have, is about the Shrinker; Is it a one shot affair like in DN3D or is it a continuous stream more akin to the 2001 trailer? I can't pick it as goes by so fast. What do you guys think, and which would you prefer?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #1591
Karmeck
they might have gone sissy and now u can no longer kill the innocent.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #1592
KO Gilligan

Quote:

Agreed.... but there was some poetic fluff going on When he said "What the F*** is taking so long" You have to admit they were at least attempting to make it appear less "Fluffy".

Even though I think you are correct on both points - this was alot more than I ever expected (for whatever that's worth)

I guess an actual release date is something that will be in the form of a mega-publicity official press event. Then it will be leaked intentionally in order to make sure everyone is watching.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #1593
Betelgeuse

Quote:
Well that doesn't mean it could not be a cut-scene... It could very well be a Half-Life like cut-scene where you are still in control of where to go and where to look you know
As for the small circle: I did watch the crackle.com High Res version and I'm all but certain there was no crosshair - Just the damage indicator.

Care to make a screenshot?
no no, i just had a quick look, the crosshair pops up after the pipe bomb explodes. so when you have thrown a pipe bomb (quick pipe bomb) the crosshiar fades out, then once detonated, it fades back in. ... i think. lol, that's wat im seeing anyway
Old 06-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #1594
KaiserSoze

Just think of the shrink gun goodness(especially if you can pick people up):

*talos got foot stomped by kaisersoze*

*micki got flushed down the crapper with some nuggets*

*denz rode a brick down the toilet*

*marty was smeared into the cement cracks by steve's foot stomp*

*joe3dr is fish food for dopefish courtesy of georgeb*

*wieder just became live bait by danule*

*kalki is swimming with the fishes thanks to adm*

*scott miller got smashed with a flyswatter via dr. dude*

*wamplet got grounded up in the garbage disposal by x-vector*

Speaking of shrink gun, looks like it's EDF tech in this version of the game. I kinda liked the 01 video version with it being alien based(I guess it could still be alien based) but I preferred the more "organic" look of it.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #1595
Doppelgofer

I WANT the 2001 version
Old 06-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #1596
KaiserSoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgofer View Post
I WANT the 2001 version
The 2001 shrink gun version? I do too. Wondering if they thought it looked too similiar to "Prey" type weaponry?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #1597
Dukefan24

DNF footage: Wow very interesting!
Jace Hall: Awesome person, the example of Hollywood lol!
Microsoft Points: Micosoft's most misused way to earn money..
Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #1598
Kalki

Quote:

It's alright to maintain some skepticism but isn't assuming his motives to be self-serving, going a bit far? I'm trying to look at it from your point of view but you have to admit there are lesser, healthier biases. In the podcast, he admits being an old fan and appreciates the return to the old Duke days. He could have been biased for genuine reasons and as a fan, was somewhat tilted towards favoring the game. Witnessing those added details we were denied may explain what you've termed "hyperbole", couldn't it?

As a former developer himself, it's also possible he truly thought DNF had something going for it.

Not everybody here shares your opinion on the DNF footage but it doesn't make their biases(if any) as selfish - does it?
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #1599
Fisker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukefan24 View Post
DNF footage: Wow very interesting!
Jace Hall: Awesome person, the example of Hollywood lol!
Microsoft Points: Micosoft's most misused way to earn money..
Heh, well the points is only there to save money from credit card transactions, it'd probably be worse if they didn't use those points :P
Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #1600
KaiserSoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisker View Post
Heh, well the points is only there to save money from credit card transactions, it'd probably be worse if they didn't use those points :P
Worse than free?

I dunno. Charging points for something already freely available kinda sucks.

Cool ragdoll physics on the guy hanging near the red egg sacs.