Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #1601
Malgon

Re: The Jace Hall DNF Footage Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
Speaking of shrink gun, looks like it's EDF tech in this version of the game. I kinda liked the 01 video version with it being alien based(I guess it could still be alien based) but I preferred the more "organic" look of it.
Yeah I thought the 2001 version looked very alien and organic, and very cool too. It makes me wonder if it is meant to be some EDF reverse engineered version, or it's still alien based and 3DRealms just didn't like the look of the old version. It'll still be fun to play with anyway.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #1602
Betelgeuse

shrink an enemy, then eat him.
{ cout << " my mum says im cool... "; return 13; }
Old 06-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #1603
Kalki

"Bite me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malgon View Post
Yeah I thought the 2001 version looked very alien and organic, and very cool too. It makes me wonder if it is meant to be some EDF reverse engineered version, or it's still alien based and 3DRealms just didn't like the look of the old version. It'll still be fun to play with anyway.
It was cool but I'm not particularly crazy about it either. Maybe I've never seen a shrinker model that has impressed me completely.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #1604
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Re: Gameplay video in hd, download links
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmeck View Post
this is still the only way for those that don't have a 360.
Not really. There is an HD option in the Crackle stream. Which, BTW they might frown upon redistribution of their video.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #1605
Minty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malgon View Post
Just looking at the 2001 version now, and I do prefer that to the Portal Gun Bio Rifle looking thing thats currently in there. I much prefer the electricity that shoots out to the gree goo, and the brain inside the gun is just wicked!
Old 06-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #1606
Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeholder View Post
thats personal opinion, the game isn't actually bad. its great
Of course it's personal opinion. People still supporting DNF for so long are mostly very big fans. As a member who's been in these forums for many years, I know what it is like to get so hyped from every half sentence that George posts here, and then see about ten new threads fill up within a few hours about that half sentence.

It has been like that forever, and I eventually stopped caring and decided to visit here from time to time instead of every few days.

Another personal opinion of mine would be that people here are fanboys, with both the good and the bad things that come with being a fanboy. Thus I think people are lying to themselves. Since I read what members wrote here, and I know many of them from the years over the forums, and I remember a few dissing games that look absolutely better than that gameplay footage we just saw. People are lying, they wont admit that it looks bad, they wont admit it to themselves. Hell, if it doesn't look bad to you, then at least don't say it looks amazing... how is all that amazing? I would guess just because it's DNF. If it wouldn't be DNF related people would say what it's really worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danule View Post
if you think that looks bad than what do you think makes a game look good?
Many other things. Look, everyone is welcome to say what they want, I'm not stopping them. I just really want DNF to be great but that footage looks outdated (Yeah I know, 6 months old) maybe it is much better now, for then, like I said, it looks bad. But I've seen many trailers of games that were shown two years before their release and usually it's only detail that changes, there isn't a drastic change, most of the time it even looks worse.

A lot of games look good, I'm not a graphics freak. This though, looks bad. The weapons move like shooters from the 90s, everything seems to be floating around without any impact and the whole thing seems lifeless. Nothing impressive, how can anyone say that looked good, I really don't understand?

Again, I know it hardly showed anything, and I know it's old footage. But for what it showed, it showed crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
6months old footage, it doesn't look bad.
Read above.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #1607
Suppressor1
I want to see screenshots. That would be cool. It was nice to see the footage, but high resolution screenies are much cooler... Here are the Screenies of the footage...
Last edited by Joe Siegler; 07-15-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #1608
Karmeck
but until they do that, this is the only way you can get the video if you want to edit it, do frame by frame stuff. IF you just want to watch it in hd then yes you can just as easy do it on their site using the hd option. People like to be able to save stuff to their hard driver and I was happy to help with that. But if you don't like me to do taht, just say so.
Last edited by Karmeck; 06-07-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #1609
Unbeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
Of course it's personal opinion. People still supporting DNF for so long are mostly very big fans. As a member who's been in these forums for many years, I know what it is like to get so hyped from every half sentence that George posts here, and then see about ten new threads fill up within a few hours about that half sentence.

It has been like that forever, and I eventually stopped caring and decided to visit here from time to time instead of every few days.

Another personal opinion of mine would be that people here are fanboys, with both the good and the bad things that come with being a fanboy. Thus I think people are lying to themselves. Since I read what members wrote here, and I know many of them from the years over the forums, and I remember a few dissing games that look absolutely better than that gameplay footage we just saw. People are lying, they wont admit that it looks bad, they wont admit it to themselves. Hell, if it doesn't look bad to you, then at least don't say it looks amazing... how is all that amazing? I would guess just because it's DNF. If it wouldn't be DNF related people would say what it's really worth.

Many other things. Look, everyone is welcome to say what they want, I'm not stopping them. I just really want DNF to be great but that footage looks outdated (Yeah I know, 6 months old) maybe it is much better now, for then, like I said, it looks bad. But I've seen many trailers of games that were shown two years before their release and usually it's only detail that changes, there isn't a drastic change, most of the time it even looks worse.

A lot of games look good, I'm not a graphics freak. This though, looks bad. The weapons move like shooters from the 90s, everything seems to be floating around without any impact and the whole thing seems lifeless. Nothing impressive, how can anyone say that looked good, I really don't understand?

Again, I know it hardly showed anything, and I know it's old footage. But for what it showed, it showed crap.

Read above.
The footage isn't amazing, its not supposed to be. the fact that DNF is alive is amazing. The final product is what where so hyped about, plus a shakey cam with a random play like that for something thats 6 months old isn't going to do the game any justice. From what i've seen its awesome. The graphics are nice, the animations especially on the worm are hand crafted and beautiful. The guns like some of our favourites are back with next gen graphics. We got no sound, (all voice was put in by HD films) but trust me when we get the game and hear duke the shivers up the spine will come. I don't think its the actual footage thats awesome but what it could be, and what we haven't seen. But from what we've seen its pretty frickin good considering its shown in the worst possible way....
Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #1610
Fisker
Quote:
Worse than free?

I dunno. Charging points for something already freely available kinda sucks.

Cool ragdoll physics on the guy hanging near the red egg sacs.
I didn't mean in that sense, the PC version has ads on the page, although they are usually ignored or blocked, the author still atleast get money based per view.

What i meant in regards to the points is that some creditcard companies charge you for transactions, imagine a 20 cent fee on a $1 transaction, your fee would be 20% of the actual transaction.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #1611
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeholder View Post
The footage isn't amazing, its not supposed to be. the fact that DNF is alive is amazing.
Why is that amazing? You didn't believe that it is being worked on? I always believed it will actually come out.

12 years passed. It would be pretty amazingly weird if they didn't managed to come out with a game in so much time.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #1612
Unbeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
Why is that amazing? You didn't believe that it is being worked on? I always believed it will actually come out.

12 years passed. It would be pretty amazingly weird if they didn't managed to come out with a game in so much time.
you'd be surprised how many people think its all a hoax, well who's laughing now
Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #1613
timothy2
Why don't you just download the torrent, it's easy to manipulate it on any video editor.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #1614
Suppressor1
Ok, next Screenies
Old 06-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #1615
timothy2
People...I think we're not looking at the shrink ray here....Remember the Glop Gun in Manhattan project? It only converted enemies into their "normal state". For example a big lizard into a small lizard, a big cocodrile enemy into a regular croc, and so on. I think there probably is a Shrink/expander and a Glop Gun.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #1616
Suppressor1
And the last one...
Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #1617

Re: Rumor Alert! Does the Jace Hall Show Scoop Duke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post
"You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" hyperbole, as far as I'm concerned.
Jason Hall is a clearly biased party in this.

Not that I dislike him, I thought he had a very natural presence in front of the camera, but IMO this first Jace Hall show was complete fluff (DNF part included).
As nice a guy as Jace is, I can't help but agree. I can't see myself wanting to tune in every episode unless he becomes the 'exclusive' guy with stuff like this (which I doubt).
Old 06-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #1618
Ramen4ever

There are two specific reasons I'm hyped.
1. Battle Lords - in high graphics = awesome
2. Babes - in high graphics = awesome

Bonus: Good AI and interactivity.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #1619
Karmeck
I made the torrent.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #1620
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2 View Post
People...I think we're not looking at the shrink ray here....Remember the Glop Gun in Manhattan project? It only converted enemies into their "normal state". For example a big lizard into a small lizard, a big cocodrile enemy into a regular croc, and so on. I think there probably is a Shrink/expander and a Glop Gun.
Nah, he shrinks that bug into a smaller size, not into a different form. I very much doubt thats a take on the GLOPP gun.

In any event I love the Portal vibe of it.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #1621
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2 View Post
I doubt that any normal animal is not taller than Duke's boot.

It's definitely the Shrinkray, "unfortunately" the design doesn't really resemble the original much But hey, in the past I did say that I hope DNF won't be just Duke3D with better graphics so I guess I have to be consequent in my opinions.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #1622
timothy2
Owned.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #1623
timothy2
Well if anything...we can see slime or "glop" coming out of it in the video. Also it has a huge canister of Glop attached

Old 06-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #1624
zetcom

Ripper gun rules! Enemy looks great (pig cop is awesome). If DNF have feel of this what was presented in 2001 E3 plus this what was in this footage - that game will smash other FPP titles
Old 06-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #1625
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryche View Post
LOL what is this:

Sex glasses?

jk it looks like parental controls I think.
I think it's S3D, as in stereoscopic 3D. The icon is a pair of glasses, and anaglyph, shutter or polarizing glasses are indeed used for stereoscopic 3D.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #1626
kj_57701
All that Joe is saying is that taking somebody else's content and redistribute it is in fact illegal. Since it's 3DR's forum, this might not be the best place for this one.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #1627
Karmeck
I don't charge for it and it is freely available at the site at all time so I don't see the illegal here, I simply give it to the people in a way to save duke to their hard drive. And Joe did link to a youtube clip that had only the duke stuff in it.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #1628
Caine

i just watched the 2001 trailer AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN ! this whole trailer is one of the BEST i've seen in my whole gamer life and thats nearly 20 years now.

we just saw 30 seconds of low quality duke gameplay and i know we cannot judge at all but i do hope that my fears will be vanished, because i fear a bit some points:

- too many dark areas like prey
- a bit consolish
- a bit monotonous look perhaps?
- not so colourful and/or so many different scenes?

well it's too much speculation, i should have left it out perhaps but just look at a few 2001 pics which still impress me more than the little gameplay.

i'm just too fearful that my wait and dream isnt perfect
Old 06-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #1629
Unbeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
i just watched the 2001 trailer AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN ! this whole trailer is one of the BEST i've seen in my whole gamer life and thats nearly 20 years now.

we just saw 30 seconds of low quality duke gameplay and i know we cannot judge at all but i do hope that my fears will be vanished, because i fear a bit some points:

- a bit consolish

well it's too much speculation, i should have left it out perhaps but just look at a few 2001 pics which still impress me more than the little gameplay.

George already said that theres going to be multiple different times of day, indoor and outdoor areas filled with sunlight.

the game is made for PC so its not consolish. monstrous i have no idea what that means, if by that you mean scary then hell yess

and about color refer to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravey View Post
One of the best decisions made for the original Unreal was that every texture could have it's own 256 colour palette instead of relying on just one palette for everything...And if textures shared palettes it would perform better, that way it encouraged continuity but allowed for environments to be very different from each other.

Last edited by Unbeholder; 06-07-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #1630
Talos

Fear not Caine... What we saw was only a tiny glimpse at one of the levels in DNF. I'm sure the game will kick some major a$$ in all aspects.

Oh and...
Quote:
*talos got foot stomped by kaisersoze*
*cough* not gonna happen *cough*
Last edited by Talos; 06-07-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #1631
Caine

thanks dukies you took my fear a bit and i think the next trailer will blow my mind !

ALWAYS BET ON DUKE !
Old 06-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #1632
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:

- a bit consolish

The 2001 trailer was a fully polished piece of work. The Jace Hall footage is NOT a fully polished trailer. It's really unfair to compare the two.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #1633
Kristian Joensen

Quote:

- a bit consolish

Well George already addressed some of that in this thread, look at some of the quotes(taken from this thread) here.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #1634
Karmeck
Quote:
The 2001 trailer was a fully polished piece of work. The Jace Hall footage is NOT a fully polished trailer. It's really unfair to compare the two
Then give us something to compare it too.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #1635
foleyben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
The 2001 trailer was a fully polished piece of work. The Jace Hall footage is NOT a fully polished trailer. It's really unfair to compare the two.
I have to agree with Joe. What i saw wasnt a trailer and it shouldnt be compared to the 2001 trailer.

Personally i love the 2001 trailer, and i remember a 1998(I think) a trailer also. But i think if we are going to be making any comparisons then we really need wait until an official 2008 trailer comes out.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #1636
ryche

I think the "new" shrink ray reminds me too much of this Prey gun:

Just imo.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #1637
hackmed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
Well George already addressed some of that in this thread, look at some of the quotes(taken from this thread) here.
Exactly, and i wouldn't expect a level set inside the hoover dam to be particularly colorful.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #1638
ryche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppressor1 View Post
And the last one...
It looks like the shrink gun and Duke's leg having clipping issues.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #1639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I hold out hope that maybe you guys will top that trailer some day. Though honestly, people would probably still bitch and complain.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #1640
Talos

Yeah, also it's fairly hard to top the 2001 trailer - It's simply the best trailer in gaming history.