Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
bdwilcox
Balls of Steel Still out of stock?
OK, I just bought a bunch of old games from 3DRealms and was very,very happy to get them. But the one title I've been waiting to come back into stock for, oh, I don't know, a couple YEARS now is Balls of Steel. What's the deal with Balls of Steel? (I know that rhymes.)

OK, it has problems on XP. Understood. Then do what other vendors do who resell old games. Put a little sticker on the site and the disk saying "Not XP Compatible". It's not that tough. I'll try to get it to run on my system and if I can't, I can't turn around and start whining at you because you were upfront with me about it.

I'd buy the game online somewhere if I could find it, but it's become rarer than hen's teeth. You know what's going to happen next. I'll eventually talk to someone who has it and if they don't want to let it go, I'm going to say, "Hey, could you make me a copy?" Really, I don't want to steal, I want to buy it from you, but at this point I have no recourse.

Don't get me wrong. I think you do a great job marketing your older games. Monolith has a link to their online store and when you click on Buy This Game, it redirects you to the Amazon marketplace with unknown vendors and uneven quality products; what's worse is that most products aren't even available. Truly pathetic and an embarrassment for a big company like Monolith. I wrote them and told them this. I even tried logic saying that selling pressed CDs in a jewel case for $10-$20 with basically no support costs beyond a bulletin board is like printing money. They never even had the decency to send me back a form letter.

So, again, please start reselling Balls of Steel and make it plain to people it's unsupported and doesn't work on XP.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Re: Balls of Steel Still Out of Stock ?!?
Actually it does work on XP. It's down to how your local machine is configured.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 11-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
bdwilcox
I'm just saying that if compatibility problems are what's causing 3DRealms from selling it, you can cover yourself by saying it's not compatible. That way, if the user gets it to run on XP, great, if not, 3DRealms can just say, "Told you so." This is what they did when they re-released System Shock 2 and most people were cool with it.

But, anyway, what's the hold-up with selling Balls of Steel? Is it the compatibilty problems, licensing problems, internal issues? I mean how hard is it to get some CDs pressed and charge $10-$20 for them. There's certainly a market demand, why hesitate? But if it's been this long since they sold it, I take it 3DRelams doesn't plan to sell it again; in that case, take it out of the store and stop taunting desperate customers.

-Brian
Old 11-18-2006, 03:36 AM   #4
DOSGuy

Unfortunately, the group of hardcore retro gamers who buy old Apogee/Pinball Wizards games are probably all members of this forum. Just because you want Balls of Steel doesn't necessarily mean that there's a market for it.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
bdwilcox
DOSGuy,

I get your point, but I think the customer base for classic games is HUGE, especially classic games of this renown. Avault lists BOS as one of the best games ever made and I think any gamer worth their salt knows it too.

Besides, it costs pennies a CD to get them pressed, placed into a jewel case, and shrink-wrapped. Without support or packaging fees, selling these CDs is like printing money.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
Mr.Sociopath

if they print too much the market will collapse.. (joking)
Old 11-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwilcox View Post
I get your point, but I think the customer base for classic games is HUGE, especially classic games of this renown. Avault lists BOS as one of the best games ever made and I think any gamer worth their salt knows it too.
Theres a big issue with classic games - if you know its "one of the best" then clearly you have played it and probably still own it. Most people would be in that category and why would they re-buy it just to prove old games can sell?

The only way classics sell is when they are re-released with fancy collections or with compatibility fixes. You can't expect games to sell forever. You just have to hope that when it goes out of print that the developers (usually Joe in this case) release the game as freeware. Give it time.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #8
bdwilcox
I just had System Shock 2 shipped from Australia to the Eastern US. I missed it the first time around and couldn't find it anywhere except half way around the world. I was told it was one of the best games ever made and after playing it I have to agree; it was $30 well spent.

A lot of people only learn of great games long after they're out of print. Others played them long ago, lost or got rid of them, and now hanker to play the classics once again. If this weren't true, sites like Home of the Underdogs would never be popular, but people flock to abdandonware sites to get a dose of that old time religion. For $10, most people have no problem paying for an old classic if the quality is assured. Just consider that Doom is STILL selling in stores, sometimes by itself, other times in a collection.

There is still a huge market for classic games.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Spartan_234

Re: Balls of Steel Still out of stock?
That reminds me of when the Rise of the Triad CD was out of stock for about a year before 3D Realms disconstinued it and started selling only the download version. Before it was discontinued, I already gave up waiting for it to be in stock and bought the CD off of eBay.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
bundler
ok, i have a copy of BoS, and i USED to love playing it. i cannot get it to run on xp, what is it i need to do to get it to work?? if there is no sure-fire way to do it, why not produce an xp compatible BoS that we can buy??? please?? i love this game, but i hate that it is gathering dust because i can't run it. i was afraid there was a problem with my game, but now i understand why i have a problem.
how hard would it be to port this game in an xp-vista runnable version?? charge anyone with a previous ownership $10 to get the patch, or $30.00 for the whole thing?? can you all imagine BoS with DX10?? woooot

Old 02-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
Scotty

A user posted an unofficial patch for BoS in this thread:

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17861