Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
StieGore

Post Need a list of Lo Wangs Comments
Hi there! There is something I have to do and therefore I need a written list of all the things Lo Wang says throughout Shadow Warrior. English is not my motherlanguage, in consequence some of the things I can barely understand. So it would be really cool if some of you could help me out!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Dead Meat
Re: Need a list of Lo Wangs Comments
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234704/quotes

Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
StieGore

thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 AM   #4
Martin Howe

The one I can't make out is the "get railgun" quip. It's been bugging me for ages. It sounds like "time to get a lest", but given the exaggerated fake Japanese accent* used in the game, it could be "time to get a rest". Somebody must know what he says!

* It is really strange that 3DR were allowed to do this; the most obvious one is "Be ploud, Mr Woo" instead of "Be proud, Mr Woo", especially as there is a huge market in Japan for video games and as such, many potential purchasers of the game would be Asiatic. Nowadays, making fun of peoples' accents would probably be considered un-PC (anyone recall "Hoil Hotler!" in "Allo Allo"? Still at least it was insulting to the NAZIs), but I suppose in 1997 it wasn't noticed.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Howe View Post
It sounds like "time to get a lest", but given the exaggerated fake Japanese accent* used in the game, it could be "time to get a rest". Somebody must know what he says!
Seeing as the railgun is one of the most powerful weapons in the game, that could be what he's saying. It's like the gun would kick all kinds of ass for him, so he doesn't have to dodge and jump and do all the work
Old 02-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
necroslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
Seeing as the railgun is one of the most powerful weapons in the game, that could be what he's saying. It's like the gun would kick all kinds of ass for him, so he doesn't have to dodge and jump and do all the work
It's "Time to get erased". The railgun is from the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "Eraser".
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
Martin Howe

Quote:
Originally Posted by necroslut View Post
It's "Time to get erased". The railgun is from the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "Eraser".
Cheers! Thanks for that
Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
Daedolon
Oh wow, I never really knew that he was saying "Oh damn I'm running into walls now!" when hitting the use key near walls. Haha.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Loke

"Oh, must be American made!", one of my favourite.
- The Stinger
Old 02-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Howe View Post
* It is really strange that 3DR were allowed to do this; the most obvious one is "Be ploud, Mr Woo" instead of "Be proud, Mr Woo", especially as there is a huge market in Japan for video games and as such, many potential purchasers of the game would be Asiatic. Nowadays, making fun of peoples' accents would probably be considered un-PC
Having taste does not have any bearing on anything. There's a lot of non PC stuff floating around, but it's mostly buried - the mass media doesn't cover it.

We have many articles and covers hanging on our walls here. One wall we call "The Wall of Shame". A decent amount of it is Shadow Warrior stuff. In particular one by a guy named "Elliot Chin".

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #11
Kalki

Computer Gaming World review ftw!

You guys can catch Scott & George's response to Chin here.

Quote:
He can speak his native tongue, as well as three other
Asian languages, very fluently, as we discover in the soon-to-come
novels. It's just his English that is not so good.
Lo Wang novels?? Wtf?
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 02-21-2007, 02:39 AM   #12
Martin Howe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
You guys can catch Scott & George's response to Chin here.
Heh; good answer One of the SW TC authors put it rather well too (IMO): "3D Realms' bad ninja-flick spoof video game".

LOL the reply about RR too. In fact, 2000AD every so often recieves letters to the editor complaining about similar things, usually from people who can't understand the difference between saying or depicting something for satire and saying or depicting it for the sake of being offensive. I'm sure there are people out there who believe that John Wagner and Ian Gibson really do think that the world should be ruled by people like Judge Dredd with on-the-street executions and such. Now that would have been ideal material for a 3DR Duke/Wang style violent spoof game - the Rebellion Dredd game wasn't that good
Old 02-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

There was also a time not long after Chin's article came out that we had John Galt in our offices, and we did this impromptu "Interview with Lo Wang". In it, we asked Lo Wang what he thought of Elliot Chin's article. It was quite amusing. I was told at the time not to release the thing.

I still have it somewhere I should see if I can release it now.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
Kalki

Ask about the novels too...
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 02-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Someone would have to provide the text for that - I wouldn't have the patience to bother with OCR'ing in the books into text. I doubt that would happen.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:37 AM   #16
Kalki

I didn't know about the novels at all or just plain forgot. Just looked and found this: http://www.3drealms.com/sw/bookteaser.html

It's still available on Amazon for cheap. Fans should check it out: 1, 2.

Free Speech
Last edited by Joe Siegler; 02-22-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Corrected Book URL's
Old 02-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
All0uttaGum
Wow, never heard of the Shadow Warrior novels, that makes that and the Descent novels I have to check out. (I own the Doom books, which are somewhat infamous for being the original source for Eric "Columbine" Harris naming his sawed-off "Arlene," a character who never appears in actual gameplay. I also especially liked the obvious self-reference of the scientists referring to imps as "creatures from the id.")
Old 02-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #18
Martin Howe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
we had John Galt in our offices, and we did this impromptu "Interview with Lo Wang". ... I still have it somewhere I should see if I can release it now.
That sounds as if it would be a real hoot... be nice if you can release it
Old 02-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #19
Kalki

Some of it is here for those who missed it.

Free Speech
Old 03-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #20
006 3/4
Check out the Shadow Warrior section on en.wikiquote.org

It lists all of Lo Wang's quotes and the fortune cookie quotes, but it doesn't say what triggers them.