Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #161
peoplessi

Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
I don't think, I wait for the news. I have no clue what it could be, none at all. Basically it's something cool, since Todd was very secretive about revealing any info on those.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #162
Tyler23

The only 3 things i can imagine is Doom4, Rage or a complete new game.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #163
Nihilanth

I'd expect that it's something outside of the big scene. DOOM has already been announced, twice, so I don't think they'd still refer to it as unannouced stuff. Rage is also far from unannounced.

As for DOOM at E3, my guess is that they will mention it in interviews, nothing more. I'm mainly looking forward to QuakeCon. If we're getting media about it, that's gonna be on QuakeCon.

It's kind of interesting. At last years E3 id announced the publisher for Rage and earlier this year John Carmack said they want to get the publisher for DOOM this year. Maybe we'll hear something about that? Then again, it was barely two months ago. Anyway, again, I think if there's something about DOOM for us this year, QuakeCon is the thing to look forward to.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #164
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I have a feeling QuakeCon will focus more so on the future of Quake Live, RAGE and Wolfenstein (if it's not out by then).

I'm not expecting any media for Doom at all. They may talk about it, give a little info... but no media.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #165
peoplessi

1 screenshot would be great, I think we will get something similar, or very short teaser film. It's not like they have to do everything from ground up, and they've had time to build some assets to show in a mockup situation like screenshot / staged short film.

BUT I would be fine with really solid interview - what will Doom 4 be in all aspects, gameplay wise and storywise.

Even if Doom 3 was the most succesfull installment, it was that due the name mostly, it was OK as a game, but not great. Tech limitations might have contributed to the whole gamedesign, lack of enemy hordes and tight corridors. Based on what've heard, Doom 4 will be different, no more closet scares.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #166
Nihilanth

We'll see, but I'm optimistic. DOOM won't be the focus for sure, it's way too early, but that doesn't mean they won't throw something teasing at QuakeCon. Of course they may go for a complete media blackout for now but still there's a chance. Nothing big, but it can happen.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #167
Malgon

Some Doom info/media at QuakeCon would be cool, but I don't count on it happening, as it's still early days.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #168
Tyler23

I can not wait to see how this game is going to look like. Really hope to see something at E3. A little screenshot and a interview would make me happy enough
Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #169
Gryph

I wouldn't really expect them to be far along enough for them to be comfortable showing anything. But then again that Rage demo we were shown in the beginning was done in a fairly short period of time and I'm sure they are far more comfortable with the tech so they can work with it faster.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #170
Babe

All I am worried about is whether their Doom 4 Engine will break the back of current generation top grade hardware. Planning to build my PC soon, dont want a Core i7 950 with 12 GB of RAM and a nVidia GTX 300 to be obsolete and play the game with only 800 x 600 resolution, all AA turned off in a 28 to 30 inch monitor !
Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 AM   #171
Nihilanth

I'm not too worried. If current-gen consoles can do it it 30fps, I expect that even todays hardware can do it too. But if you care that much, wait for the release before buying new PC.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #172
Tyler23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
I wouldn't really expect them to be far along enough for them to be comfortable showing anything. But then again that Rage demo we were shown in the beginning was done in a fairly short period of time and I'm sure they are far more comfortable with the tech so they can work with it faster.
Why not? The first announcement was last year in april or may. Than the second at quakecon in august. First Doom3 stuff was shown before it was really announced. Why they shouldn't be able to show us something(if its just a screenshot or some artwork) after nearly one and a half year?
Last edited by Tyler23; 04-24-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #173
Bad Sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Why not? The first announcement was last year in april or may. Than the second at quakecon in august. First Doom3 stuff was shown before it was really announced. Why they shouldn't be able to show us something(if its just a screenshot or some artwork) after nearly one and a half year?
Because of that i marked in bold. It set a lot of expectations and from a technical point of view, a lot of imitations started coming out so early which reduced the impact that the technology did for the game (i'm sure that nobody* thought to use high poly models to create bump/normal maps before Carmack mentioned it in some very early video or thought that stencil shadows were possible to be used in a game robustly**). I believe they're trying to not do the same thing with Doom4.

(*=in games industry)
(**=Carmack invented the robust method and made it public years before the game came out)
Old 04-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #174
Tyler23

But Doom4 isn't so far away like Doom3 was by that time! I'm still hope to see something at E3 or at quakecon.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #175
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
But Doom4 isn't so far away like Doom3 was by that time!
How can you know this? That might well be the case.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #176
Tyler23

I don't know it. But i read something that the game won't need so much development time because the engine is basicly done. When we first saw Doom3 stuff at the Macworld 2001 the technology for the game wasn't done.

Development of Doom 4 will be short, as very little of the id Tech 5 engine will be changed in the transition from Rage.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #177
Kristian Joensen

Well they also said after Doom 3 that they where tired of 4 year dev times and wanted their next game to take 2 years. That next game apparently was The Darkness but that was canceled in 2005, so we can't count from when Doom 3 was released in 2004. But 2005 + 2 years = 2007. So that obviously did not work out. In fact assuming Rage ships next year it will have been 1 year longer in development than Doom 3.

For the record here are the dev times for the id Tech 4 games:

1. Prey 2001-2006
2. Quake 4 2001-2005
3. Doom 3 2000-2004
4. ETQW 2003-2007
5. Wolfenstein 2004-2009(Strongly assuming this, but we know it won't be earlier!)

Given that fact, that Rage will probably take 5 years and the effort needed for content creation for id Tech 5 on account of the extreme texture resolutions used I really doubt they will meet their goal of a short dev time for Doom 4.

But I sure wish they will.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #178
Tyler23

Well.we will see. I don't want to assume how long this game will be in development. But i think 2 years dev time is to short! There is still a good chance to see something at this years Quakecon or maybe at e3!!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #179
Kien

I want some screen shots of this game yes.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #180
Bad Sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
That next game apparently was The Darkness but that was canceled in 2005,
The Darkness was made by Starbreeze, not id Software (although their engine looks similar to id Tech 4). And wasn't canceled - unfortunately it was released only on consoles.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #181
Nihilanth

Id were working on the game called Darkness.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #182
Kristian Joensen

Uhh, I know about The Darkness. I meant "Darkness". The game id was making after Doom 3 was called "Darkness" and was set on an Island. They canceled it after a year, because they wanted to innovate more and "Darkness" was too similar to Doom 3.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #183
Bad Sector

:S

An id project i never heard of before! How can this be possible?!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #184
Gryph

Doom 4 will probably be coming out near the end of this console generation so we can expect it to look absolutely astounding.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #185
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
Doom 4 will probably be coming out near the end of this console generation so we can expect it to look absolutely astounding.
It's an interesting thing, because if the situation you described does occur, we might end up with DOOM as a cross-generational title. Here's a part of the interview from QuakeCon 2008, dated August 1st, by GameSpy:

GameSpy: Could the development of the new DOOM bleed into the next console generation?

John Carmack: So we do have sort of a backup plan for the timing of the development of the DOOM game where we're hoping... relaying all these positives in that should allow us to have a more disciplined, focused game design, we're not rewriting a lot of systems, it's gonna be build on id Tech 5 which will be rock-solid, shipping technology to build it on, we're trying to hire designers that want to work within no limits rather than people that wanna do brand new blue sky stuff on there. So we're hoping that it's gonna be a quicker development cycle but we're always wrong on our development projections on here. The worst case scenario would be that we're late enough or the consoles are near enough that the next generation transition winds up happening where you're shipping and everybody's waiting for the next console to be coming up for Christmas. So we do have a backup plan for that and that's, I am beginning the early research for what we wanna be doing for real next generation rendering technology on there and we may wind up setting up a situation where if we don't touch any of the other stuff on there we might wind up with a cross-generational title where we could wind up with a chipping on the current generation consoles and the next generation ones where the only real difference would be the rendering technology and there's a few tiny steps that we're making in our media creation that would allow us to hopefully make that step to infinite geometry like we have infinite texturing on there. And we think that we can make a media set that kind of striven those lines. Then what we would really love to do is have the DOOM project come out early and fast and the next generation consoles come out far enough in advance or far enough after, that we could have another DOOM title that's not just the same thing reskinned on there but something that is new content, new media designed for the next generation console hopefully coming off of the big success with the current DOOM project. That would be the best of all worlds so we've got the spectrum of fall backs and contingency is that take us between the two.

On the subject of quicker development, I think that id has a pretty good cards with DOOM. They already have a great tech ready, they have a perfect environment for the multi-platform development, they have a proper tools for artists and so on, they have the tech optimized and rock-solid, they have an experience with Rage, I mean, after making design decisions on Rage they've learnt how to use stuff and how to approach different tech related things and they have a great team with tons of experience. So they have a one leg up. The draw backs are that the team is still not fully built out, that the team is new and that they still need to get id Tech 5 up and running on 30fps, make changes and possibly encounter new challenges due to this throughout the development. There are lots of positive things about that, yes. But I personally wouldn't count on a really short development. There's every chance in a world they'll make it faster than 4 years but it's definetely not as close as next year or something.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #186
peoplessi

I would love to see 1 screenshot, in HD resolution, that shows what id Tech 5 can do @ 30fps on a PS3/Xbox 360 vs. high-end PC. That is the deal maker right there.

They have solid 2-3 years to make Doom 4 before we get the new generation. I think there is alot of talk going on behind closed doors for the next-gen systems. We will see +10 core systems from MS and Sony, that's for sure, Blu-ray would be the medium of choice also.

It's possible scenario that Doom 4 slips away for the next generation, although I wouldn't call that the best choice. The early adopters aren't so numbered, comparing installbase.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #187
Tyler23

I am curious about the type of enemies we will fighting!! Will there still be Zombies? Are we going to see just remakes from the old foes or will we see some complete new ones. Bigger, bader much more evil looking demons? Man i want some info about this game.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #188
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Personally I want remakes of all the old enemies... all of em. Plus some regular old shuffling zombies.

Maybe some new ones, but they can ditch all the new enemies from Doom 3. The Maggot and Wraith were just meh enemies.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #189
Tyler23

Yes remakes of the old enemies. But they must more look like the original ones. The hellnight for example. He needs to look like a bull. With horns like the old one does. I agree with you the new doom3 enemies were just crap! The Zombies should be more fast and aggresive as the ones in movies like 28 day later. Not that slow moving cannon fodder! And some new Demons would be really nice.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #190
Kien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Maybe some new ones, but they can ditch all the new enemies from Doom 3. The Maggot and Wraith were just meh enemies.
Freakin true. The new Doom3 ones felt like different types of imps. :S Thhe ones in the ressurection was just modifications of Doom3 ones if I'm not wrong.

I have said it before and I say it again, make my cacodemons pretty daim it!

Edit:
Zombies should always be slow fun-and-easy-to-kill cannon fooder. :P
Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 AM   #191
Nihilanth

This is how I think Baron should look like in DOOM.

Okay, maybe not exactly like this but honestly, this is what comes to my mind when I think about modern Baron of Hell.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 AM   #192
Kien

Doom monsters aren't really the typical fantasy red demons. They are more of grotesque cyborgs and uglies.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #193
john_doe2
Yeah, Doom has it's own style of demons. I like its style and I hope they stick with it. I don't really want to see demons with axes and swords on the next Doom.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #194
Water12356

Lightbulb Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kien View Post
Doom monsters aren't really the typical fantasy red demons. They are more of grotesque cyborgs and uglies.
Well not necessarly, look at the bull demon (aka Pinky), I dont see any robotic parts on it. Only ones that are "cybernetic" are the mancubus, Revenant, Arachnotron, Cyberdemon, and the Spider Mastermind. All the other Doom (I & II) monsters are "organic".

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #195
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water12356 View Post
Well not necessarly, look at the bull demon (aka Pinky), I dont see any robotic parts on it.
Doom 3 version does

OHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #196
Tyler23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water12356 View Post
Well not necessarly, look at the bull demon (aka Pinky), I dont see any robotic parts on it. Only ones that are "cybernetic" are the mancubus, Revenant, Arachnotron, Cyberdemon, and the Spider Mastermind. All the other Doom (I & II) monsters are "organic".
That's the deal!!

I can't say it often enough. I want this Demon back!!!

I still get excited when i watch the macworld 2001 video with this guy.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #197
Phait

Yeah that screen alone, with detail, design and lighting looks better than what they went with for D3 release.

"but I promise you this, I'll always look out for you, that's what I do" -Coldplay
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #198
Bad Sector

Obviously it wasn't "serious" enough X-P
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #199
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kien View Post
Doom monsters aren't really the typical fantasy red demons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_doe2 View Post
I don't really want to see demons with axes and swords on the next Doom.
Baron is pink, that's close to red. Nobody says anything about axes and swords. I just think it'd be pretty good transition there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
I can't say it often enough. I want this Demon back!!!

I still get excited when i watch the macworld 2001 video with this guy.
I don't really understand. Design wise it's nothing spectacular. I think it's a usual situation when people desperetely want something just because it was left out of the final game.

On the subject of monsters, I really like this DOOM 3 sketch:

Although according to the Xbox Concept Art section it's a Hellknight, I always thought it looks more like an Imp. Even better: like a classic Imp. I think it'd be cool if they did something similiar for Imp in the next DOOM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #200
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

The concept art for Doom 3 looks fantastic, I love looking through some of it from time to time. It's just a huge letdown that the final demons and monsters feel so dull and meh.