Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #241
predefined
Re: Doom 4 Thread Part 2
I can't stop trying to imagine how GOOD the graphics will be. Rage looks already fine as it is...sometimes its like watching decent cgi. 3 times that quality must come close to PIXAR kind of cgi!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #242
Theonewayman

I don't think id will push the envelop on graphics this time around it will look better them Rage as is a game to run at 30fps but consoles are now their primary platform, and as rage as shown they will want to make the game look identical on all platforms, the pc will only have better textures and AA as always.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #243
predefined
Well if Carmack says it will have 3 times the graphical fidelity of Rage then i believe the good man. And if that's true it IS pushing the graphical envelop. Rage is already looking top notch with its unique texturing.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #244
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
In the meantime could someone make a list with all the guys which are current working on the game and their role on the project please? Nihilanth you are the right one i think
Well, I have that in my DOOM 4 album. But I actually made a detailed list of the currently known staff but didn't feel like posting it. But since you ask, here it goes (don't be too picky on the previous games though or the platforms, it's just for an overview), enjoy:

The DOOM Team
by Nihilanth

Kevin Cloud | Project Leader / Artist
At id Software since: 1992
Previous titles: Big Blue Disk #29, #35, #39, #40, #41, #44 (PC), Wolfenstein 3D (PC), Spear of Destiny (PC), DOOM (PC), DOOM 2: Hell on Earth (PC), Quake (PC), Hexen: Beyond Heretic (PC), Final DOOM (PC), Quake Mission Pack No 1: Scourge of Armagon (PC), Quake Mission Pack No 2: Dissolution of Eternity (PC), Quake 2 (PC), DOOM 64 (N64), Quake II Mission Pack: The Reckoning (PC), Quake II Mission Pack: Ground Zero (PC), Quake III: Arena (PC), Quake III: Team Arena (PC), DOOM 3 (PC)
Links: N/A

John Mulkey | Lead Designer
At id Software since: October 2008
Previous titles: The Operative: No One Lives Forever (PC, PS2), Aliens versus Predator 2 (PC), No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way (PC), Contract J.A.C.K. (PC), Tron 2.0 (PC, Xbox), F.E.A.R. First Encounter Assault Recon (PC, 360, PS3), F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (PC, 360, PS3)
Links: Linkedin Profile

Michael Dickheiser | Lead Programmer
At id Software since: August 2008
Previous titles: iF-22 (PC), iF-22 Persian Gulf (PC), F/A-18 (PC), WarBirds (PC), WarBirds 2 (PC), Air Warrior (PC), Red Fury (PC), Savage Skies (PC, Xbox, PS2), Loose Cannon (PC), Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 (Xbox, PS2, GameCube), Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike (Xbox), Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (PC, Xbox, 360, PS2)

Brett Briley | Concept/3d Character Artist
At id Software since: August 2008
Previous titles: Anne McCaffrey's Freedom: First Resistance (PC), Ozzy's Black Skies (PC), Savage Skies (PC, Xbox, PS2), PlanetSide (PC), DOOM 3: Ressurection of Evil (PC), The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, 360, PS3), Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach (PC), Neverwinter Nights 2 (PC), Age of Empires 3 (PC), Age of Empires 3: The WarChiefs (PC), Halo Wars (360)
Links: Linkedin Profile, Site

Josh Powers | Environment Artist
At id Software since: September 2008
Previous titles: Saint's Row (360), Saint's Row 2 (360, PS3, PC), Red Faction: Guerilla (360, PS3, PC), Borderlands (360, PS3, PC), Brothers in Arms (360, PS3, PC), Halo Wars (360)
Links: Linkedin Profile, Blog, Site

Paul Pepera | Environment Artist
At id Software since: March 2009
Previous titles: Section 8 (360, PS3, PC)

Thomas Tenery | Artist
Previous titles: Blackstar (PC)
Links: Blog, Site

Jeff Zaring | Game Designer
Previous titles: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC), Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault (PC), Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (Xbox, PS2, GameCube), Call of Duty 3 (Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii), Call of Duty: World at War (PC, 360, PS2, PS3, DS)

Mikkel Caiafa | Animator
Previous titles: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (PC, PS, PS2), 007 Racing (PS), Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick (Xbox, PS2), Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard (PC), Terminator 3: The Redemption (Xbox, PS2, GameCube), Stuntman: Ignition (Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3)

Zachary Quarles | Audio Guy
At id Software since: April 2009
Previous titles: Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force (PC, PS2), Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix (PC, Xbox), Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC, Xbox, GameCube), X-Men Legends (Xbox, PS2, GameCube), X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (PC, Xbox, PS2, GameCube), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS, Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3), FEAR: First Encounter Assault Recon 360, Quake 4 (PS, 360), Fracture (360, PS3)

Mark Bristol | Art Director
Previous titles: Cipher Complex (360, PS3)

Graham Joyce | Story Writer
At id Software since: 2009
Previous titles: N/A
Links: Site
Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #245
Sayantan

OMG Nihilanth .... you're a genius .... and Satan-sent.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #246
Tyler23

Awesome Nihilanth!!! Thank you! I knew you could do it
Last edited by Tyler23; 05-16-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #247
Water12356

The Lead Designer and Project Leader have great track records.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #248
Tyler23

Bring John Romero back
Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #249
hanged_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Bring John Romero back
I thought you said John Romero is back
Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #250
LadiesAndGentlemen

id just need to stop making all this homoerotic garbage. Itís bad enough that there aren't any women at all in their games and that all the monsters are big buff naked sweaty humanoids, but then Quake 4 took it to an entire new level by featuring those naked males restrained in bondage all over the place. Unfortunately, Rage just looks like more of that.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 AM   #251
The Deadsider

Someone had deep, resounding issues.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 AM   #252
Mr Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesAndGentlemen View Post
id just need to stop making all this homoerotic garbage. Itís bad enough that there aren't any women at all in their games and that all the monsters are big buff naked sweaty humanoids, but then Quake 4 took it to an entire new level by featuring those naked males restrained in bondage all over the place. Unfortunately, Rage just looks like more of that.
Dude, their games are supposed to be scary.....now which is more terrifying- being trapped in the middle of space with a nice variety of men and women or being stranded with just men?

id has always been excellent at preying on their target audience's phobias and the lack of women just adds to the overall discomfort level of the games' atmosphere.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:35 AM   #253
LeadBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesAndGentlemen View Post
Sounds like a closet case to me.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:58 AM   #254
Bad Sector

Quake 4 had women. In fact the first time they were shown when their mechanical cocoon (or whatever was that) was opened i was like "Awww". Then they rocketed me to death :-P.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #255
predefined
The first Lost Soul encounter in Doom3 also features a women. Doom3: Roe features a women in the main story.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #256
Tyler23

Come one what a senseless discussion!!! Lets talk about Doom 4, the devs which work on the title or whatever.
Last edited by Tyler23; 05-18-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #257
Tyler23

What do you think should the Doom Guy in Doom4 have a personality with a name, own characteristics, attidude? Like Duke Nukem or Caleb or Gordon Freeman. I think that would be a cool thing. Not to much that the hole game is focused on this character but some personality would be cool!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #258
Nihilanth

I want him to have DOOM Comic personality. I don't know, I definitely wouldn't mind him having a backstory and stuff. By the way, I think the example of Gordon Freeman is not the best.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #259
Tyler23

Hell no i dont want him to be like Gordon Freeman. Was indeed a bad example.
I want him to be more like Caleb or Duke. I think personality of the character you play is one thing what makes a game fun to play. For me It feels better to run around with a real charakter gunning down some enemies than with a nameless nobody. That was one point i had more fun with Duke Nukem3D than with Doom. Dont get me wrong i had a lot of fun play Doom but DN3D had this little attitude
The Doom Comic personality would be cool
Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #260
Gryph

He's probably going to be a boring stereotypical space marine.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #261
Kien

In Doom we are not very characteristic. We are a lone soldiers shooting monsters in abandoned areas without need to say a single word. (-,-)
Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #262
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
I want him to have DOOM Comic personality.
Rip and tear, rip and tear!!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #263
Nihilanth

Got a id Software related update (in fact it may be DOOM related but there's no way to tell), just thought it'd be interesting to point that. John Pollard, a man who's been working as a Lead Programmer at 3D Realms since March 2001 (over 8 years!) is now working at id as a Programmer.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #264
Mr Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
Got a id Software related update (in fact it may be DOOM related but there's no way to tell), just thought it'd be interesting to point that. John Pollard, a man who's been working as a Lead Programmer at 3D Realms since March 2001 (over 8 years!) is now working at id as a Programmer.
Wow......I clearly remember when John Pollard was first brought on the DNF team. Scary.

Something else scary is that it seems as though we're going to get a 3rd Doom 4 discussion thread here- and not even one single drop of media has been released.

Has a game ever received this much pre-unveil hype and attention on these forums(besides the obvious)??
Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #265
predefined
Even though people like to bitch id for a lot of reasons lately in the topic of there last products...everybody is secretly crazy about them. That's why this, the rage and id tech 5 topic get great pre-release attention. Everybody loves id software.

Amen.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #266
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bear View Post
Something else scary is that it seems as though we're going to get a 3rd Doom 4 discussion thread here-
We're a long way until that. Parts of threads usually have about 1000 replies, this only has 266 now.

On another note, we'll see but it seems that id may... well, benefit from 3DRs downfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predefined View Post
Even though people like to bitch id for a lot of reasons lately in the topic of there last products...everybody is secretly crazy about them. That's why this, the rage and id tech 5 topic get great pre-release attention. Everybody loves id software.

Amen.
Although I wouldn't go that far I agree with the first sentence and I'm always intrigued by that. On a daily basis it seems that everybody bashes id for various reasons... but now we have DOOM and Rage and wow, most people were immediately looking forward to it.

On a game-related note, I'd like to say that I'd officially be happy if DOOM featured Full Body Awarness. Some people might remember that I've always been criticizing it and dubbed it a useless gimmick but I also said that I'd be all for it if it affected player to a greater degree. Well, after seeing a recent DNF Reel Demo I think that this would be not only possible but also amazing. There's this scene in the vid when Cycloid Emperor launches his shockwave attack and knocks Duke down, he's gotta get up. That's exactly the type of things I'd expect from FBA. In F.E.A.R. it's pretty much a "you can see your feet" gimmick but it seems that guys over 3DR were on a right track with Duke collapsing in the scene I mentioned or when he fell out of a mine cart or when he wakes up. This is meaningful stuff and I'd be thrilled if id decided to include something like this.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #267
Klaus Kinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by predefined View Post

Amen.
I think people who are not id fans now care so much because they hope their future games arrive finally in the 21st century instead of being stuck in 1996 just with better graphics. Their IPs have great potential but go nowhere, for me at least. Their last really great game IMO was Quake although I must admit that I'm very fond of QuakeLive now.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #268
Babe

Quake Live is a great game. But id's last great game was Quake III Arena. When it was released, it seriously was the king for heel of a long time. And till today, I can't see a better FPS game that can be as fun as Quake III ( other then Quake Live ofcourse).

Back on topic though, I do expect Doom 4 t be awsome. Huge monsters, and if they dont make it repeatitively boring like Doom 3, should be awsome fun to kill.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #269
john_doe2
I hope they show a little tid bit of Doom 4 at Quakecon. Even if it's just a teaser. Just a little something so we can see how amazing the graphics are. Not a lame teaser like the teaser of Brink. Something more along the lines of the RE 5 teaser way back when in 2005 I think it was. Just show the Doom guy walking around a ruined city with a BFG and then show the shadow/silhouette of a massive demon and zombie horde approaching. Then have the Doom guy aim his BFG and fire it at the approaching horde and end the teaser with the sound of a big explosion and the sounds of blood and guts hitting the ground. Easy as that. I think that would be a cool teaser.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #270
Bad Sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_doe2
Easy as that.
You just described about three months of full-time work :-P
Old 06-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #271
Tyler23

A teaser like that would be great. I can't wait to see something. 3 times the graphic fidelity of Rage. Thats Insane!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:26 AM   #272
Bad Sector

Let Rage hit our systems first and then we can talk about three times its fidelity. Before we got Doom 3 on our hands everyone was nuts about how out of this world the graphics will be, how smooth the animation is, etc. Then many people bitched about low poly characters, no more than 4-5 monsters on screen and clunky animation switches.

Note: i don't mean that Rage or Doom 4 won't look good. I mean, lets get Rage first so we can have some hands-on reference we can multiply by 3 :-).
Old 06-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #273
Tyler23

Sure. But when you look to the screenshots and trailers of RAGE which are nothing less than amazing and then imagine a game with 3 times its graphical fidelity. This must be mind boggling.
For DOOM4 i wish it will have much color! Green, Blue,and Red.
For a teaser could be cool if it's from the perspective of a demon. Chasing and killing some civillians , then ran into the Doom Guy and get torn to pieces from a double-barreled shotgun blast.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #274
Kien

It would be nice if the player was a real Doom marine again in that green suit and helmet and had his fellows with him fighting like on the Doom box where a soldier comes running towards the one in the center of the picture.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #275
Monkey Butler
I'm just a bit wary when they say things like "3x the graphical fidelity" and "30fps", because to me that sounds a lot more conducive to Doom 3 gameplay than Doom 1/2 style gameplay. I'd much rather the run-and-gun, masses of enemies carnage of the originals over a monster-closet horror FPS with ridiculously good graphics.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #276
john_doe2
I think I heard that PC gamers will be able to get 60 FPS on their PCs. I think the 30 FPS restriction only applies to consoles.

Carmack already stated that Doom 4 will be more like the Classic Doom games rather than Doom 3.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #277
Bad Sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Butler View Post
I'm just a bit wary when they say things like "3x the graphical fidelity" and "30fps", because to me that sounds a lot more conducive to Doom 3 gameplay than Doom 1/2 style gameplay. I'd much rather the run-and-gun, masses of enemies carnage of the originals over a monster-closet horror FPS with ridiculously good graphics.
The original Doom (1/2) ran in VGA mode 13h which had a hardcoded refresh rate of 70Hz. To synchronize, the Doom engine waited for VSYNC twice each frame, which as a result had a maximum FPS count at 35fps. So the original game ran at 35fps, not 60 or 70 or anything like that. This is why some modern source ports have more smooth gameplay than the original engine - they uncap the maximum framerate to whatever your PC supports.

@Tyler23:
Doom3's pre-released screenshots looked more like this and this than like this and this.

They show about the same stuff, but the pre-release shots are "designed" to look more cool and awesome than what the actual in-game shots look like. The same applies for in-game videos - they're edited (cutted and ordered, not modified) to look good and awesome but this awesomeness is actually present only in a few moments of the game, not at the whole game experience as the videos usually make it to look like.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #278
Echo Black

Regardless of what the framerate cap is on the consoles, (and if you think it will only go up to 60 on the PC, you're crazy is, id's engines have a reputation, and such a shitty limitation would tarnish it) I initially thought that what Carmack meant by "Doom 4 will be a 30Hz game" was that the engine physics would be calculated in that snapshot frequency. Kind of like an animation tick rate, but engine-wide, if you get what I'm saying. And maybe they will be (at least for the consoles, that's certain, since engine physics aren't [can't be?] calculated at a higher rate than how often the renderer is being refreshed, as far as I recall). But he probably just meant to say "we're gonna make this look really good, but run at 30fps (on the consoles), as opposed to Rage, which will run at 60fps (on the consoles)". It's just what they're shooting for, as far as looks go.

To whoever is worried about a 30/60Hz framerate cap on the PC...Don't be. That would be just silly.
test of personal discipline."
- John Carmack
Last edited by Echo Black; 06-28-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #279
Bad Sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Black View Post
engine physics aren't [can't be?] calculated at a higher rate than how often the renderer is being refreshed, as far as I recall
Of course they can, this is what frame skipping is all about. Game physics/time and game rendering has to be decoupled, otherwise there are nasty side effects such as slowdowns or speedups.

However as you said its more likely the cap to be in game physics and not game rendering. Usually a 25-30Hz cap is enough, especially if the in-between "frames" are smoothed when you have a higher framerate (for example if the framerate is at 60fps and the game update is at 30Hz, instead of updating game objects every second frame, you update them every frame and for frames you don't have data from the physics engine you extrapolate their state from the previous frames).
Old 06-29-2009, 02:45 AM   #280
Monkey Butler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Sector View Post
The original Doom (1/2) ran in VGA mode 13h which had a hardcoded refresh rate of 70Hz. To synchronize, the Doom engine waited for VSYNC twice each frame, which as a result had a maximum FPS count at 35fps. So the original game ran at 35fps, not 60 or 70 or anything like that. This is why some modern source ports have more smooth gameplay than the original engine - they uncap the maximum framerate to whatever your PC supports.
I didn't know that. But what I meant was that all the talk about lowering framerates and increasing graphical fidelity sounds to me like they're going to be going more for Doom3 style one or two enemies at a time, tight corridor kinda stuff. Which, as John Doe mentioned, goes against the stated vision of the game. I suppose we just wait and see.