Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #41
Thriller

Thriller's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Just dropping in to add two things:

1) Joe has (so far) said he wants these forums to stay. Other than him, I guess weŽre atleast 1000 or so frequent users that wants the same. So, if theres a chance to keep this forum alive, IŽd say lets do it. In other words, I dont think we should actually "move" to duke4 before its over.

2) Since I dont want to spam the other threads: Great work to EVERYONE working on the duke3d sourcecode.


EDIT: The more sober bit of my drunkness just realized a bit of it has been coverd in the thread, by I stand by the above: lets stay here as long as we can, although its nice we have a plan B.
__________________
As a previous owner of member number 404, I obviously dont know what the hell Im talking about.
--------------------
"I GOT PLASTERED!" - Drazula

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Last edited by Thriller; 05-13-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Thriller is offline  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #42
TerminX

TerminX's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
We've already moved. Though these forums will stay, things will change... Joe won't be a part of them, it's likely nobody will be keeping the software up to date, et cetera. I don't really know George or know how he's going to operate these forums or really what's going to happen here once Joe is gone. I'm going to stay on as a moderator here for as long as possible for the sake of the other forums but I am committed to running the new Duke3D mods forum on Duke4.

With Joe running this place I felt like these forums were going to stay the same forever, with my friend running them and in no danger of going away because, hey, it's 3DR. Since the future of 3DR isn't very clear to the public right now I'm not too comfortable continuing on here when we don't know exactly what's going to happen. It's not like I can get a SQL dump of these forums or anything in order to move them elsewhere if they go down (which I can with Duke4). It's a longevity issue at this point.

Since I don't know what's going to happen precisely I'm going to go the safe route and stay committed to the decision to move these forums in the first place. If these forums stay up and running in good order for years and years after this point, great -- I'm happy to help keep them clean, and that means that all of the information on them isn't going anywhere. On the other hand, if 3DR is nothing but a paper entity run by George after all of this, what happens if he gets run over by a bus? I'd rather not keep adding to a pile of information that could be gone at any time with no notice if plans change.
TerminX is offline  
Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #43
Thriller

Thriller's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
I stand corrected. That does make sense.
__________________
As a previous owner of member number 404, I obviously dont know what the hell Im talking about.
--------------------
"I GOT PLASTERED!" - Drazula

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Thriller is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #44
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
We've already moved. Though these forums will stay, things will change... Joe won't be a part of them, it's likely nobody will be keeping the software up to date, et cetera. I don't really know George or know how he's going to operate these forums or really what's going to happen here once Joe is gone. I'm going to stay on as a moderator here for as long as possible for the sake of the other forums but I am committed to running the new Duke3D mods forum on Duke4.

With Joe running this place I felt like these forums were going to stay the same forever, with my friend running them and in no danger of going away because, hey, it's 3DR. Since the future of 3DR isn't very clear to the public right now I'm not too comfortable continuing on here when we don't know exactly what's going to happen. It's not like I can get a SQL dump of these forums or anything in order to move them elsewhere if they go down (which I can with Duke4). It's a longevity issue at this point.

Since I don't know what's going to happen precisely I'm going to go the safe route and stay committed to the decision to move these forums in the first place. If these forums stay up and running in good order for years and years after this point, great -- I'm happy to help keep them clean, and that means that all of the information on them isn't going anywhere. On the other hand, if 3DR is nothing but a paper entity run by George after all of this, what happens if he gets run over by a bus? I'd rather not keep adding to a pile of information that could be gone at any time with no notice if plans change.
Well, we just went out and bought new service to keep everything running. These forums will remain - I know of no plans for them to go away. Which was something I couldn't say the day or the day after all the news about 3DR first broke.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009, Oct 23, 2014 - current

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #45
TerminX

TerminX's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
That's really good news. All the Duke modding stuff is going well on the forum we moved to but there is an absolute ton of information (not to mention memories) here that would completely suck ass to lose. This place has been my home for probably longer than is healthy so I'm really relieved to know it's not going anywhere.
TerminX is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #46
Yenji

Yenji's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Whoops, nevermind. Thought this was the general topic of 3DR's current status. My bad
__________________
Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow
Last edited by Yenji; 05-18-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Yenji is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #47
Blue Lightning
 
Re: The future of this forum...
Good to see things are staying up here!
Blue Lightning is offline  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #48
FrenzalBop

FrenzalBop's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Im glad this place dint die. Though im only new i feel like i can talk about pretty much anything and people here are cool.

This would be my fave forum..
__________________
http://card.mygamercard.net/communit...renzal+Bop.png

"GO SPEED RACER GO"
FrenzalBop is offline  
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #49
8IronBob

8IronBob's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Yeah, keeping community support for these forums are just what we need around here. We may probably have to start some Duke 3D revival communities, and come up with new and innovative things to extend the life for at least the next decade or longer.
__________________
PC Specs (a.k.a. "Galacticus Prime"): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7Vk7FT
8IronBob is offline  
Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #50
8IronBob

8IronBob's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Okay... You'll find me on board Duke4.net as WedgeBob. I'll talk about trying to bring old classics back in a new light, most likely newer versions of maps gone by, but hey... Anything to make up for the loss of DNF, I'm all for it.
__________________
PC Specs (a.k.a. "Galacticus Prime"): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7Vk7FT
8IronBob is offline  
Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #51
Zaxtor

Zaxtor's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
If 3DR closes is it possible to move all our posts to new forums and or make it archive etc.

Some forums moved to new server/site and didn't harm posts nor member acc.
__________________
OBLIVION'S STATUS. Maps are 100%, Textures are 100% {FINISHED}
Current status RELEASED http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.a...ivionfinal.zip.
Zaxtor is offline  
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #52
The Commander

The Commander's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
The forums are staying.
__________________
I Know Everything There Is To Know About Anything.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
The Commander is offline  
Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #53
Daedolon
Re: The future of this forum...
Joe, seeing the "Former 3DR Staff" as your description, will you still keep running these forums or will someone else come in as the admin at some point in time?
Daedolon is offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #54
The Commander

The Commander's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Thought I would bump this thread just to remind anyone that is going to post any EDuke32/modding related questions here that even though these forums are still alive most of us have migrated to Duke4.net

If you wish to get quicker attention for any problem Duke Nukem 3D related, coding, modding etc,
Then please post it here: http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showforum=26
__________________
I Know Everything There Is To Know About Anything.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
The Commander is offline  
Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #55
Vinsane

Vinsane's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
Thought I would bump this thread just to remind anyone that is going to post any EDuke32/modding related questions here that even though these forums are still alive most of us have migrated to Duke4.net

If you wish to get quicker attention for any problem Duke Nukem 3D related, coding, modding etc,
Then please post it here: http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showforum=26
Not that I come up with anything useful, but whats at the bottom of every page makes me think a bit before posting content over here.

"Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd."

Seems not to bother anyone though..........Guess it's just me.
Vinsane is offline  
Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #56
DeeperThought

DeeperThought's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsane View Post
Not that I come up with anything useful, but whats at the bottom of every page makes me think a bit before posting content over here.

"Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd."

Seems not to bother anyone though..........Guess it's just me.
I don't know if that would survive a legal test, but it's another reason why I would not be enthused about using this forum to discuss my mods like I used to.
__________________
DUKE PLUS
New map effects and various optional extras for Duke 3D.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
DeeperThought is offline  
Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #57
Sang

Sang's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
It's not because they want to steal your mod projects, it's to cover their asses in the event that some dude posts a DNF idea which happens to be in DNF and then feels like somehow he came up with the idea and that 3DR would owe him money..

can't.. quite.. put my finger on..
__________________
traB pu kcip
Sang is offline  
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #58
Vinsane

Vinsane's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
I don't know if that would survive a legal test, but it's another reason why I would not be enthused about using this forum to discuss my mods like I used to.
No one could blame you, besides, your not known as 'DeeperThought' for nothing!
Vinsane is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #59
The Commander

The Commander's Avatar
Re: The future of this forum...
*BUMP*
Just bumping this thread in the hopes that people who are coming here to raise issues with EDuke32 are aware that... (As there has been a few threads as of late about EDuke32)

All official EDuke32 discussion is held here from now on.
You will get better and quicker answers there than you will here.

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showforum=26
__________________
I Know Everything There Is To Know About Anything.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
The Commander is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.21745396 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 16 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is ©1987-2014 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.