Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
Fox McCloud
Guest
Gameplay.
If DNF is anything like Duke3d, would it add to the fun if dukes weapons could get shot or smashed because there could be a lot of guns sitting around during deathmatch...?

Should vision blur after a hard hit?

Should duke stumble or flat out fall down instead of "bounce" after getting hit by a near explosion?

Show blood on arms if hurt?

Shakey aim when hurt? Shakey view? Scrapping footsteps?

Suggestions?
 
Old 09-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
bobk
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Fox McCloud said:
If DNF is anything like Duke3d, would it add to the fun if dukes weapons could get shot or smashed because there could be a lot of guns sitting around during deathmatch...?

Should vision blur after a hard hit?

Should duke stumble or flat out fall down instead of "bounce" after getting hit by a near explosion?

Show blood on arms if hurt?

Shakey aim when hurt? Shakey view? Scrapping footsteps?

Suggestions?

Have you seen "Sin City"?
bobk is offline  
Old 09-04-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
Nacho

Nacho's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
bobk said:
Have you seen "Sin City"?
Do you have a fetish or something?
Nacho is offline  
Old 09-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #4
Nacho

Nacho's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
A note on explotions.

In Medal of Honor: Frontline (not sure about the others) when a large explotion went off near you and damaged you your vision would be slightly blurred and everything would slow down. I liked this effect and hope this is how explotions would be handeled though I doubt they will be handeled in this fasion.
Nacho is offline  
Old 09-04-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Yatta

Yatta's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Fox McCloud said:
If DNF is anything like Duke3d, would it add to the fun if dukes weapons could get shot or smashed because there could be a lot of guns sitting around during deathmatch...?
Yeah I'd like to see weapon damage but it should be optional and limited to multiplayer.

Quote:
Should vision blur after a hard hit?
No, that's more fit for a realistic war game.

Quote:
Should duke stumble or flat out fall down instead of "bounce" after getting hit by a near explosion?
Again, no, for the same reason.

Quote:
Show blood on arms if hurt?
Hands, yes.

Quote:
Shakey aim when hurt? Shakey view? Scrapping footsteps?
It should screw up your aim but shakey cam hurts the eyes. I'd like to hear Duke's footsteps a little, if that's what you mean.

Quote:
Suggestions?
Ragdoll boobies.
Yatta is offline  
Old 09-04-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
SS4_Gogeta

SS4_Gogeta's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
hmm.... yeah it all sounds good but sometimes realism gets you killed in games
__________________
"hello? are you napping? because i could've sworn you said something about hitting me!"

- SS4 Gogeta
SS4_Gogeta is offline  
Old 09-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Nacho

Nacho's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
I know eh?

Why do they have to give you health in games? You shouldn't be able to die.
Nacho is offline  
Old 09-04-2005, 11:19 PM   #8
SS4_Gogeta

SS4_Gogeta's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Nacho said:
I know eh?

Why do they have to give you health in games? You shouldn't be able to die.
meh i always put G-mode on because all i really want to do is kill enemies.....
__________________
"hello? are you napping? because i could've sworn you said something about hitting me!"

- SS4 Gogeta
SS4_Gogeta is offline  
Old 09-05-2005, 02:01 AM   #9
cladinshadows

cladinshadows's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Fox McCloud said:
Shakey aim when hurt?
Suggestions?
No thanks, it would piss me off to run around with 10 health with crappy aim to boot.
__________________
I can't wait until the DNF forum is full of people discussing how the game was instead of discussing what they want it to be.
cladinshadows is offline  
Old 09-05-2005, 02:41 AM   #10
hell-angel
 

hell-angel's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
cladinshadows said:
Quote:
Fox McCloud said:
Shakey aim when hurt?
Suggestions?
No thanks, it would piss me off to run around with 10 health with crappy aim to boot.
hehe, I was allready against it, but with what you said I hate that idea even more.
hell-angel is offline  
Old 09-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #11
Cerberus_e
 

Cerberus_e's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
I thought the explosion effect was too overdone in call of duty.
I liked it, but the effect just lasts to long to be fun. esecially at stalingrad.

also, I don't want to have disadvantages when low on health. or in duke's case, low on ego (I seriously hope they dropped the "ego" instead of main health idea)
Cerberus_e is offline  
Old 09-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #12
SyntaxN

SyntaxN's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Fox McCloud said:
Shakey aim when hurt? Shakey view? Scrapping footsteps?

Seriously, no way that this fits with DNF...
It would be ok when Operation Flashpoint games would have that, but Duke is more arcade than realistic
However, a small blur effect when you´re hit by a big weapon like an rl is ok imo!
SyntaxN is offline  
Old 09-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #13
Dr.Dude

Dr.Dude's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
I thought the quick "blur" kickback effect when you were hit by an enemy in Doom 3 and Painkiller worked really well --- it made it clear that you had taken a hit, while also only being a quick, minor inconvenience. I'd be fine with seeing an effect like this show up in DNF.
__________________
"The wise dude only quotes himself." -Dr.Dude
Dr.Dude is offline  
Old 09-05-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
Echo Black

Echo Black's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Dr.Dude said:
I thought the quick "blur" kickback effect when you were hit by an enemy in Doom 3 and Painkiller worked really well --- it made it clear that you had taken a hit, while also only being a quick, minor inconvenience. I'd be fine with seeing an effect like this show up in DNF.
I don't like it The Z-sec zombies in Doom 3 shot me right before I would blow they up with the shotgun, and my aim zig-zagged around hitting the walls. Maybe make it like on Counter Strike: Source, only shots to the arms make your aim shake (makes sense)
__________________
“Having a reasonable grounding in statistics and probability
and no belief in luck, fate, karma, or God(s), the only casino game that interests
me is blackjack. Playing blackjack properly is a
test of personal discipline."
- John Carmack
Echo Black is offline  
Old 09-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #15
Mr.Sociopath
 

Mr.Sociopath's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Fox McCloud said:
If DNF is anything like Duke3d, would it add to the fun if dukes weapons could get shot or smashed because there could be a lot of guns sitting around during deathmatch...?

Should vision blur after a hard hit?

Should duke stumble or flat out fall down instead of "bounce" after getting hit by a near explosion?

Show blood on arms if hurt?

Shakey aim when hurt? Shakey view? Scrapping footsteps?

Suggestions?
I'd say yes to all and more.. cause it would feel less like a game we have played a thousand times before it was even "done"
Mr.Sociopath is offline  
Old 09-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #16
Big poppa
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Fox McCloud said:
Show blood on arms if hurt?
Blood on arms would look kinda cool.
Big poppa is offline  
Old 09-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #17
GoodStuff

GoodStuff's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Challenge is good.

Didn't the screen go red if you got hurt in Duke 3D?
__________________
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
"Sometimes it is not enough to our best; we must do what is required."
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
GoodStuff is offline  
Old 09-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #18
Cerberus_e
 

Cerberus_e's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Echo Black said:
Maybe make it like on Counter Strike: Source, only shots to the arms make your aim shake (makes sense)
that's frustrating if you are shooting with the devastator or RPG.
Cerberus_e is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #19
leviathan
Re: Gameplay.
You know, all you people wish DNF was like MOHAA, like COUNTERSTRIKE, HL2, or whatever. I only hope it lives up to the original Duke3d. The gameplay rocked, and I hope that they concentrate more on the Gameplay than they do on the graphics.
Games very rarely tackle humour anymore, which seemed to suck you right into the game, and just dig it, that little bit more. It made it unique. (duke, blood, serious Sam)
I dont really care if DNF doesnt have "revolutionary lighting effects (DOOM3) or "Awesome graphics" (Half-Life 2). DNF is going to be DNF, and no-body should try and convince 3drealms' developers to do anything except bring out an absolute cracker of a game.

There are plenty of good engines to work with, so why try to make them better ? Minor tweaking to suit gameplay needs and adding new graphics to suit the environment is all you should need to do.
We have too little single player FPS anymore that are actually worth a pinch of ****, so I hope 3D realms takes that into consideration.
The only game(s) I can safely say matched Duke3d's addictiveness was the original Unreal Tournament, and Blood 1. Man, I wasted countless months playing those games. They just never got old..
Thats my say, like it or dont

(Avid Duke Fan @ 31 years old)
leviathan is offline  
Old 09-21-2005, 12:25 AM   #20
hell-angel
 

hell-angel's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
leviathan said:
You know, all you people wish DNF was like MOHAA, like COUNTERSTRIKE, HL2, or whatever. I only hope it lives up to the original Duke3d. The gameplay rocked, and I hope that they concentrate more on the Gameplay than they do on the graphics.
Games very rarely tackle humour anymore, which seemed to suck you right into the game, and just dig it, that little bit more. It made it unique. (duke, blood, serious Sam)
I dont really care if DNF doesnt have "revolutionary lighting effects (DOOM3) or "Awesome graphics" (Half-Life 2). DNF is going to be DNF, and no-body should try and convince 3drealms' developers to do anything except bring out an absolute cracker of a game.

There are plenty of good engines to work with, so why try to make them better ? Minor tweaking to suit gameplay needs and adding new graphics to suit the environment is all you should need to do.
We have too little single player FPS anymore that are actually worth a pinch of ****, so I hope 3D realms takes that into consideration.
The only game(s) I can safely say matched Duke3d's addictiveness was the original Unreal Tournament, and Blood 1. Man, I wasted countless months playing those games. They just never got old..
Thats my say, like it or dont

(Avid Duke Fan @ 31 years old)
Well, if you read the forums more carefully you would see that most people here wants the same as you do, but we do also make comparisons to other games we like/dislike because they are in the same genre as DNF. And there might be some good ideas that are used in other games that are perfectly suited for DNF. And some are not. And we like to discuss them.

But there are indeed some people out there (and on these forums) that think that all FPS games should be the same. More specifically, the think that all FPS (or TPS) games should be like that one game they like, and if it's not they are going to bitch about it. Not much we can do about that unfortunately with the exception of banning them, but that right is to Joe only and not to us. (as it should be . )
hell-angel is offline  
Old 09-21-2005, 12:27 AM   #21
pjohnsonjr

pjohnsonjr's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
hell-angel said:
Well, if you read the forums more carefully you would see that most people here wants the same as you do, but we do also make comparisons to other games we like/dislike because they are in the same genre as DNF. And there might be some good ideas that are used in other games that are perfectly suited for DNF. And some are not. And we like to discuss them.

But there are indeed some people out there (and on these forums) that think that all FPS games should be the same. More specifically, the think that all FPS (or TPS) games should be like that one game they like, and if it's not they are going to bitch about it. Not much we can do about that unfortunately with the exception of banning them, but that right is to Joe only and not to us. (as it should be . )
Welcome to the world of armchair developers, where everyone has the key to a blockbuster AAA game.
__________________
Fear Alexander Carrot Top the Great!
pjohnsonjr is offline  
Old 09-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #22
leviathan
Re: Gameplay.
hell-angel said:
Well, if you read the forums more carefully you would see that most people here wants the same as you do, but we do also make comparisons to other games we like/dislike because they are in the same genre as DNF.

Comparisons are healthy, but saying "Make it like Counterstrike : Source", just because that is the persons favorite game is just, well..unproductive.

hell-angel said:
And there might be some good ideas that are used in other games that are perfectly suited for DNF. And some are not. And we like to discuss them.

Point made. But! - Taking bits from this and bits from that, you end up with a game like Pariah.
Pariah had the potential to be so much better than it was, but it just borrowed so much from the Unreal Tournament Game itself, that the 2 games could hardly be told apart. This is not just my biased opinion, but also of Pc-Powerplay or Atomic (not sure which one)
I really hope (and dont think it will) that our opinions affect the outcome of DNF too much, because I always like new surprises in new games.

hell-angel said:
But there are indeed some people out there (and on these forums) that think that all FPS games should be the same. More specifically, the think that all FPS (or TPS) games should be like that one game they like, and if it's not they are going to bitch about it. Not much we can do about that unfortunately with the exception of banning them, but that right is to Joe only and not to us. (as it should be . )

This is the point I was actually trying to make in my original post. (in a backwards fashion, i guess
Duke3d was unique, as Im sure DNF will be. I personally dont want it to resemble any other game, than its unique self. (did that make sense?!)

If you want my idea of gameplay in DNF, I guess it would be:
> Fast, smooth, Multiplayer Action
> Ability to add Bots (a Must have !)
> Must have ability for anyone to make a dedicated server and use it on the internet (Not Gamespy)
> Graphics resembling the overall quality of HL2 or Doom 3. (ease up on the Darkness
> First person Vehicles from HL2 ( I liked the driving with keyboard and shooting with the mouse)
> Minus-Health according to Proximity of the explosions, or the height you have fallen.
> Minus Health depending where you were hit.
> Just for laughs, allow a dismemberment cheat. eg. Duke's arm get shot or blown off, Duke picks up the gun with the other hand and keeps playing, whilst leaving blood trails.. Imagine limping because of no foot, and leaving a bloodied stump trail :/
> Breakable objects in your proximity have more chance of containing something you need (eg health or ammo)
> Blood.. yes, gratituous gore & gibs (wasnt it duke3d that started "gibs" in the first place ?
> "Hidden" areas and missions

Im sure I can think of much, much more :P
leviathan is offline  
Old 09-21-2005, 02:18 PM   #23
lowlandsrouter
Guest
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
leviathan said:

If you want my idea of gameplay in DNF, I guess it would be:
> Ability to add Bots (a Must have !)
> Fast, smooth, (Multiplayer) Action
> Graphics resembling the overall quality of HL2 or Doom 3. ( a mix would be great, i really don't like half-life's 2 graphics that much!)

Duke3d forever arena
 
Old 09-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #24
hell-angel
 

hell-angel's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
leviathan said:
Quote:
hell-angel said:
Well, if you read the forums more carefully you would see that most people here wants the same as you do, but we do also make comparisons to other games we like/dislike because they are in the same genre as DNF.

Comparisons are healthy, but saying "Make it like Counterstrike : Source", just because that is the persons favorite game is just, well..unproductive.

true, but I covered that later on.

Quote:

Quote:
hell-angel said:
And there might be some good ideas that are used in other games that are perfectly suited for DNF. And some are not. And we like to discuss them.

Point made. But! - Taking bits from this and bits from that, you end up with a game like Pariah.
Pariah had the potential to be so much better than it was, but it just borrowed so much from the Unreal Tournament Game itself, that the 2 games could hardly be told apart. This is not just my biased opinion, but also of Pc-Powerplay or Atomic (not sure which one)
I really hope (and dont think it will) that our opinions affect the outcome of DNF too much, because I always like new surprises in new games.

That's why we discuss things, to get to a point where everybody is happy with it, doesn't hurt gameplay in anyway and can only improve the game. Further more, borrowing ideas from other games is not a bad thing, it is how you connect them together that makes it either good or bad.
In general, I would say that the DNF fanbase is one of the brightest in the comunity with a lot of people that can really use their minds and mold "rough" suggestion into a good idea for DNF. That and together with the capabilities of 3DR DNF can't fail. (even though there are some pricks among us. But they are everywhere so there is not much we can do against that. )
hell-angel is offline  
Old 09-22-2005, 04:56 AM   #25
Cerberus_e
 

Cerberus_e's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
leviathan said:
> First person Vehicles from HL2 ( I liked the driving with keyboard and shooting with the mouse)
far cry did a better job, because at least there is no auto aim in far cry on vehicles.
Cerberus_e is offline  
Old 09-22-2005, 05:27 AM   #26
hell-angel
 

hell-angel's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Cerberus_e said:
Quote:
leviathan said:
> First person Vehicles from HL2 ( I liked the driving with keyboard and shooting with the mouse)
far cry did a better job, because at least there is no auto aim in far cry on vehicles.
Autoaim is for losers or people who can't play properly (with a disfunction or such, they are NOT loser btw. )

IMO that is.
hell-angel is offline  
Old 09-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #27
Cerberus_e
 

Cerberus_e's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
yes, so Half-Life 2 treats us like losers, by having auto-aim when in vehicles
Cerberus_e is offline  
Old 09-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #28
Lotan
 
Re: Gameplay.
Same thing does Duke Nukem 3d
Lotan is offline  
Old 09-22-2005, 11:47 AM   #29
Cerberus_e
 

Cerberus_e's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
yes but arrow movement was popular back then
Cerberus_e is offline  
Old 09-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #30
Orochi Avlis

Orochi Avlis's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Cerberus_e said:
yes, so Half-Life 2 treats us like losers, by having auto-aim when in vehicles


I didn't notice any auto-aiming.
__________________
PSN Handle: Orochi_Avlis
3DR Forums Steam Group
My Steam Stats
Orochi Avlis is offline  
Old 09-23-2005, 04:27 AM   #31
Cerberus_e
 

Cerberus_e's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
then you should replay the game (or I should)
I remember the airboat gives you auto aim.
I remember the crosshair being sticky on the gunship.
Cerberus_e is offline  
Old 09-23-2005, 04:51 AM   #32
hell-angel
 

hell-angel's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
hmm, I didn't remember that. Maybe on easy it did, but you are not the person to play a game on easy I recon.
hell-angel is offline  
Old 09-23-2005, 09:58 PM   #33
leviathan
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:

far cry did a better job, because at least there is no auto aim in far cry on vehicles.

There was an Auto aim ? I never found it or used it.
My "retail" version of HL2 did not default to "auto aiming" and if there was a toggle, I would have had it turned it off anyway.

Farcry's vehicles were good, but lacked the responsiveness that the HL2 ones had. Sensitivity settings did not fix that problem.
leviathan is offline  
Old 09-24-2005, 12:34 AM   #34
Echo Black

Echo Black's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Quote:
Cerberus_e said:
then you should replay the game (or I should)
I remember the airboat gives you auto aim.
I remember the crosshair being sticky on the gunship.
No, there is no autoaim in HL2. I played Route Kanal yesterday and the Airboat equipped with the gunship arm didn't track enemies. You're probably mistaking "auto-aiming" with the radius of the Airboat cannon, it spreadshoots, unlike the Buggy's mounted TAU cannon.
__________________
“Having a reasonable grounding in statistics and probability
and no belief in luck, fate, karma, or God(s), the only casino game that interests
me is blackjack. Playing blackjack properly is a
test of personal discipline."
- John Carmack
Echo Black is offline  
Old 09-24-2005, 12:35 AM   #35
Echo Black

Echo Black's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
Unless the Heli arm tracks other helis. If that's the case, it makes sense anyways.
__________________
“Having a reasonable grounding in statistics and probability
and no belief in luck, fate, karma, or God(s), the only casino game that interests
me is blackjack. Playing blackjack properly is a
test of personal discipline."
- John Carmack
Echo Black is offline  
Old 09-24-2005, 03:01 AM   #36
Cerberus_e
 

Cerberus_e's Avatar
Re: Gameplay.
maybe there was a bug?
I would have sworn that each time you approach a bridge, and there are some barnacles hanging under the bridge, then if my crosshair is close to one of them it would move to the barnacle and stick there.
I remember the same for the gunship boss battle.
and that doesn't happen when walking, only in the airboat (maybe also in the buggy but I don't remember it doing that)

hmm... I should replay it, to see if my memory is wrong or not normally my memory never fails me
Cerberus_e is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.18800998 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 16 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is ©1987-2014 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.