Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > General Messages
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #121
moron

Re: i remember when 3drealms forums
I remember when I joined this form I didn't have my own email account and had to use my dad's .... It then got closed when I was involved in a flame war and joe3DR started emailing my dad at work
Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #122
8IronBob

Oh yes, I do remember the older days from about 8 years ago when I first joined... Ahh, those bring days back times when I was always the jokester in the DNF and hardware threads. Guess I just started to lose my touch after a while.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #123
Lou Dog
I don't know what to say, but this is/was the best internet community I was ever a part of. I seem to recall a different forum had been started at one point. Anyone care to enlighten me? Anyone talk to RollingBrass anymore? Hello to everyone! Strange seeing these usernames and remembering you as people, not random internet users. I remember the days of staying up all night in IRC.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #124
Logic Bomb
Came here on a lark (I do that from time to time).

I remember 1997 when I saw the cover of PC Gamer with Duke on the cover. This is the first/only place I joined and stayed here for YEARS. Ended up in the top 5/10 users in terms of posts.

That was... 15 years ago? That can't be right...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #125
Nessus

After the 2001 vid this site and NVnews.net were my morning newspaper. I was addicted to the site as a lurker and joined a short time after. Holy crap the The Twin Towers were still standing back then, it's been a lot longer than I thought.

This place really ruined me for every other forum of this type. They just never had enough of the quality people we had here.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #126
John

I remember quite a bit. Too bad this place is dead now.

For me, it started out as a place to be while waiting for DNF. Then it became an actual community. Like I said, too bad...

Let not mankind bogart love.
[A pessimist is what an optimist defines as a realist.]
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #127
Pansa
actually I started out here lurking when I tried fudging a bit with the build editor, and to get some nice maps for our lans for duke3d...

Took me quite a while to stop lurking, but that's so long ago, I can't even remember whether I used to have my "original screenname" on prior editions of this forum or directly went to this one.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #128
Tetsuro

Anyone remember when Starship Troopers 2 was announced we saw the poster where all the actors' faces looked photoshopped into the picture?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #129
Thriller

Smirk Re: i remember when 3drealms forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Bomb View Post
I remember 1997 when I saw the cover of PC Gamer with Duke on the cover. This is the first/only place I joined and stayed here for YEARS.
Same here. I was so young, I actually lurked mostly because I was a bit intimidated and felt I woudnt contribute. I wonder what happened to that boy..

With this place, it feels like have have gotten some kind of compressed view of what happens with your perspective when you get old, because here I am just that. So stuff like this is a bit funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob
Oh yes, I do remember the older days from about 8 years ago when I first joined
I remember your nickname from the DNF threads - as one of the new guys, and in my head you still are. If we bump this thread in 10 years, it will probably still be like that.

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Old 08-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #130
Commando Nukem

It saddens me every time I come here and see the place so empty. 3D Realms really needs to get back on the map, damnit.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #131
Belgarrath

You guys aren't fooling anybody. The only thing you miss is getting to talk deep things with Neil Roy.

Hey Wamp.
"Rockstar did nothing wrong. Yeah, they lied..." 3DR Forum Member
"Hung gowayyyy wing wong NINTENDO JAMES BRADOCK sucky sucky." - Gatinater
Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 AM   #132
X-Vector

Have at it: http://home.cogeco.ca/~nroy15/index.html.
He's got his own forum with an off-topic section an' all.

I was always more of a Drazula groupie.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #133
Belgarrath

No. I think not. He pissed me off pretty bad once. Probably not alone in that. Draz and I on the other hand hit it off well in a "father with kids" bond kind of way. He feared the worst. I wonder if what happened in the end was "the worst"?
Last edited by Belgarrath; 08-09-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #134
twelvepaws

My profile reports that I joined in 2003, but I was a member before it became 3D Realms. It would have been when I got a PC that finally gave me internet access. As a rabid Apogee fan, it was natural that I would end up here. I don't remember the exact year, but in the meantime, I have arrived at the uppermost age bracket, and I'm wondering how many years it will be before I forget how to play...or even how to use a computer.

I had some good friends here, lively discussions that made me neglect feeding the family, and lots of information you could find only at a place like this. I still recognize some names...I miss the ones I no longer see.

Memo to self: Do Not Give Up...Do Not Give Up...Do Not Give Up...Not Do Up Give...Up Not Give Do...Do Give Up Not...

KC Royals - World Series 2015 Champs!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #135
Wamplet

Oh No Re: i remember when 3drealms forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarrath View Post
You guys aren't fooling anybody. The only thing you miss is getting to talk deep things with Neil Roy.

Hey Wamp.
Yooo,

I missed the Neil Roy, Drazula, XV and others debated each other all the time, but most of all our dearly beloved CS was the grandest of all.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Last edited by Wamplet; 08-14-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #136
Waiter

Ah yes, the good old days when everyone was mass debating together.

As this was my only forum for almost a decade it's difficult for me to compare with any other forum from that time. But try to find a gaming forum today where people create a sense of community despite all their differences over souch a long time. Maybe nostalgia is playing a trick on me but the Internet is a very different place altogether today.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #137
Kennerado

It sucks this place is pretty much dead now....was really fun back in the day.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #138
Belgarrath

Well, it's not dead because we're not here. It's dead because we've moved on. Everyone checks back in from time to time, but hardly anyone comes back.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #139
thefly

I find the idea of people "leaving" a website or forum or message board kinda of interesting. A change of habit in a couple of mouse clicks or keystrokes, and whole communities die, all without people actually going anywhere.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #140
Belgarrath

Yeah. It is interesting, if you want to get that deep. That pretty much makes all the "leaving" a mental thing.

Good to "see" you again, my fellow Texan. You are still in Texas?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #141
Thriller

CS struck me as a guy so insanely smart that life simply bored him, to the point he would just end up trolling and trying to make people lose it. Wish I could read the old threads to see if I would still get the same impression.

And yeah, Drazula, sucks to not know anything about that. He was kind of personal so its weird not knowing what kind of thin air he disappeared into.

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Old 08-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #142
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

After Drazula's divorce he kind of drifted away from the forums.
Seems after that happened his focus shifted, and maintaining an active role in an online forum didn't remain a priority.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #143
KO Gilligan

I miss Steve
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #144
Belgarrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
After Drazula's divorce.
I did not know that. Bummer.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #145
fast-1

Duke Nukem Forever lol.

Keep seeing his broken glasses.

This place is still here, what are you going on about!!!!!

Drazula he sounds like Dracula, don't think I ever got to know him.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #146
thefly

Quote:
You are still in Texas?
Oh yeah. Are you a great-great-grandfather yet?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #147
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I miss Steve
I don't.
Talked to him last week.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #148
Belgarrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post
Oh yeah. Are you a great-great-grandfather yet?
Ha ha. That's so funny. No. Just grand.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #149
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
I don't.
Talked to him last week.
Hope he's doing well - I remember he lost his home to a fire, including the computer.

Wasn't he from Melbourne or something?
My wife always goes on about moving to Australia -
sure, they got no gun violence since they banned them, but there's crazy people like Steve there.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #150
thefly

Quote:
Ha ha. That's so funny. No. Just grand.
Well, I've never been that great at judging time.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #151
LeadBullet

Leaving out the DNF forum that started consisting of people posting dreams they had about an unreleased game and other clear psychological problems, the 3DR boards were by far the most enjoyable forum I'd ever been on.

I started playing Apogee\3DR games pretty young, but it wasn't until later on from being on a few other boards that I realized Joe was the most effective and level headed moderator of any of them.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #152
NutWrench

Hi guys. What's going on here?
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #153
Belgarrath

We're all standing in a circle pointing our fingers at each other and laughing... "Oh my god, you're still here.? "
Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #154
LeadBullet

We're kind of all standing around at urinals and realizing we've met before, and reminiscing mid-stream about the good old days when it didn't hurt to pee.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #155
Inanimate Carbon Rod

I miss those days.

A certain admin started the downfall of the form and 3DR dissolving killed it. Who was going to spend time in a forum in which you were not sure if the forum would still exist the next day?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #156
thefly

In all of those years I very very rarely even glanced into the actual DNF forum.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #157
Crosma

Exclamation Re: i remember when 3drealms forums
You people are so old that you have responsibilities.

Yikes.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #158
Belgarrath

Who are you calling people? I mean, who are you calling old? I guess the Meddling Kids thread would be called the Meddling Mature, Responsible Grown-up thread.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

I remember when... You could post a reply and not have to wait for some other day for a response.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #159
KO Gilligan

These kids do a lot more damage to lawns than back when I was a kid...
Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #160
KO Gilligan

Tough crowd.... it was a joke, OK?