Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
atomic

The Gate questions
Download at:
ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/vendors/3dreal...egate/gate.zip

Question 1: Is it true it's the all-around best unofficial map-pack for Duke3D there is?
Question 2: If so, why I barely found 1 download location, why don't people talk about it more? It's IMO lightyears ahead of the Roch, Red series that are being recommended here all the time.
Question 3: Where could I find a walkthrough or secrets list for it (I've already googled)?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Mikko Sandt

Re: The Gate questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Question 1: Is it true it's the all-around best unofficial map-pack for Duke3D there is?
It's certainly one of the best along with such TCs as LR&WB, SST & Fusion.

Quote:
Question 2: If so, why I barely found 1 download location, why don't people talk about it more? It's IMO lightyears ahead of the Roch, Red series that are being recommended here all the time.
My review of the mod points to four download locations that I was able to find easily. I'm sure there are many more.

Since it is one of the oldest TCs people have had years to talk about it so don't expect all talk to concentrate around 2008.

Roch & Red levels are just usermaps, not TCs. Many prefer usermaps instead of stuff that varies more from mainstream Duke3D stuff.

Quote:
Question 3: Where could I find a walkthrough or secrets list for it (I've already googled)?
You can't.
The West is not simply better than non-Western cultures, it is vastly, fundamentally better. Hellenic culture is the only truly human civilization, the only one for which human reason, not animal stultification, is the ideal. –Greg Swann
http://m-sandt.blogspot.com
Old 05-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
v10

Quote:
Just map-pack, perhaps not. A conversion, i.e. a logically linked episode pack with some gameplay changes - as far as I think, yes. It's also played through quite easily, much like the original, and retains a lot of its feel in playing. Out of all Duke TC I've played, this is perhaps I'd be the most inclined to regard as a proper game (on par with Caribbean, but it had just one episode).
Overall The Gate is an excellent work, definitely worth playing.

LR&WB looks like just a hodge-podge of maps, rather than actual episodes, and is a bit obscure at times. And map design is good, but less professionally looking as in The Gate. Fusion looked like a bit of Quake ripoff to me, though I might change the opinion after actually playing it through.

There are some other nice TC, for instance Zero Hour, but most have some sense of obscurity and "Why am I doing this?" or "WTF is this place?". Perhaps the most definitive element of The Gate, as well as the original Duke, and generally Duke Nukem 3D as the game, is the feeling of sense and function to every level: they don't feel like puzzles designed for the player, like very many usermaps, but rather working facilities into which daily life Duke's intruding.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Mikko Sandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
LR&WB looks like just a hodge-podge of maps, rather than actual episodes, and is a bit obscure at times.
This applies only to a few maps in the first episode.

Quote:
And map design is good, but less professionally looking as in The Gate.
I disagree. The second episode (Water Bases) is so well and professionally done that it could be an official fifth episode of Duke. Water Bases is like an underwater version of Lunar Apocalypse, just better.

Quote:
Fusion looked like a bit of Quake ripoff to me, though I might change the opinion after actually playing it through.
It's a ripoff of Quake, Half-Life, RR etc. That's the point.
The West is not simply better than non-Western cultures, it is vastly, fundamentally better. Hellenic culture is the only truly human civilization, the only one for which human reason, not animal stultification, is the ideal. –Greg Swann
Old 05-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Mateos

I love The Gate, I can help you for secrets, I finish it too.

On level 1, there is 2 secrets in church...

We can play it on internet sometimes, if you want.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
atomic

@ Mateos: Please help me in finding all the secret in The Gate. I'd be very grateful if you could post ALL the secrets you've found so far.
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Mastro

Duke Nukem 3d
The Gate L1 -Los Angeles-
Secrets 9/9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BksKaJlNu94
Old 05-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
Stan Galler
i downloaded it.. but i have no idea how to run it... can someone help?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #9
v10

Stan: Just run thegate.bat. If you use FAR or something like that. Or in windows look for files named "thegate" in that directory, click on all until it runs.
After install, of course. To install, copy it all into Duke directory.

Quote:
I disagree. The second episode (Water Bases) is so well and professionally done that it could be an official fifth episode of Duke. Water Bases is like an underwater version of Lunar Apocalypse, just better.
Maybe. As far as I've played, not sure.
It's certainly good, but not exactly what I'd call *professional*.

- For instance: the first level has, right on the left (or right?) a goodie-less room filled with enemies.
- From the first level, a lot of the game is fighting OVERLORDS. The E2 boss, for /b/'s sake.
- A lot of doors are over twice human height, yet look very ordinary, and serve (ICly) solely the purpose of letting through a small monster. Gigantism is a hallmark of user-Built levels (due to the way stuff in Build looks smaller than it is - not once have I managed to make a map without screwing up the scale at least in one place), while mostly avoided in original ones.
- Monster placement is sometimes not IC explainable, just difficulty oriented.
Also, there is less sense of purpose to every facility than there was in the original or in many levels of The Gate.

It's very good, but with some attention you can tell it wasn't the work of the original creators, and that generally it's a mod, not a next episode of Duke. With The Gate, the impression is that it's maybe not the original creators, but someone very much like them.
This doesn't have to do with whether it's good or not, just rather with how few signs there are that it's a user level.

OTOH The Gate isn't good absolutely everywhere, but the heck... some levels really do imprint in the memory, they are unique, yet not gimmick. All episodes' first levels; E1 base, Yukon, and the Antarctic; the Martian city (even though movie-inspired); the Hell on Mars. The thing setting them apart is that they have a strict theme that hasn't been used much yet. For instance, I like all Roch maps a lot, but I can't tell one from another by just a glance. OTOH Red series each have "hooks" to remember them. So do the original maps, we can easily remember and describe every one of them.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:42 AM   #10
Reaper_Man

I have always thought that Last Reaction + Water Bases was one of the most well-done user map packs ever made for Duke.
Super AI Project / Duke RTS :: Coming Soon to an Actor near you!
Artificial Intelligence 101 :: Ask AI questions, get AI answers
Old 06-04-2008, 06:56 AM   #11
Mateos

Ok, I help :
E1L1 : Go to the church. On left you have a button that open de forward. In, open the books for find second secret.

In the hotel of begin, next to the vacuum cleaner, you can destroy the wall.

After, I don't rememer all...

I have a forum, I will create a topic on this TC, and post all secrets I find.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #12
atomic

Thanks, Mateos.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
Mikko Sandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
Stan: Just run thegate.bat. If you use FAR or something like that. Or in windows look for files named "thegate" in that directory, click on all until it runs.
After install, of course. To install, copy it all into Duke directory.
If he's using EDuke32 he should first open the bat file and put "eduke32.exe" in lieu of "duke3d.exe".

Quote:
- From the first level, a lot of the game is fighting OVERLORDS. The E2 boss, for /b/'s sake.
So? Battlelords appeared many times in the official game after the first episode. Why a mini version of Overlord is not appropriate when a mini version of Battelord is?

Quote:
Gigantism is a hallmark of user-Built levels while mostly avoided in original ones.
Yeah but I think it was intentional in LR&WB and didn't look bad or out-of-place.

Quote:
- Monster placement is sometimes not IC explainable, just difficulty oriented.
Also, there is less sense of purpose to every facility than there was in the original or in many levels of The Gate.
The same applies to the official game. In fact, Water Bases has a lot more sense of purpose than Lunar Apocalypse which is just a set of space maps that are not even that well connected.

Quote:
With The Gate, the impression is that it's maybe not the original creators, but someone very much like them.
The Gate certainly has more diversity and the levels are complex and in some technical sense way above 3DRealms levels but there are too many levels (especially those temple levels) with irritating puzzles. In the official game (or in Water Bases) you never spend dozens of minutes searching for a way to go.