Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
Reaper_Man

AWOL Source Release
I am going to be releasing the source files for The AWOL Project. I'm tired of sitting on this stuff letting it just rot, and after 2 years and a number of requests, I think it's time everyone gets their hands on The Damn Best TC That Never Was.

I'm going through the old CONs and removing broken or defunct code, and adding a ton of comments about the Friendly AI Bots and vehicles. Future mod-developers should find a lot of this information handy, though I'm sure that the newer EDuke releases make a lot of these hacks moot now.

I'm almost done going through the code and finding all of the missing art and sound files. I'm planning on releasing tomorrow Tuesday. Here's some screens until then (check for links, max of 8 images per post). All of these were taken in the latest release of EDuke32.

Apache

http://www.msleeper.com/files/duke0012.jpg

Tank

http://www.msleeper.com/files/duke0021.jpg

Friendly AI Bots (poor screen of the mortar strike)

http://www.msleeper.com/files/duke0019.jpg
Super AI Project / Duke RTS :: Coming Soon to an Actor near you!
Artificial Intelligence 101 :: Ask AI questions, get AI answers
Old 03-11-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
The Commander

Re: AWOL Source Release
YEAH!!! JUST SEEN THIS THREAD POSTED! Ive been waiting many many many years to get my hands on a playable version of this. I guess my post in the Decay thread about Hudson Reviving the Mod wont really become that much of a reality but im sure that maybe with this release it might influince some people to fix up the code for Eduke32 (If Applicable) and fix whats missing and add in some models and such if its thats going to be fine with you?

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
DeeperThought

It's impressive that you had vehicles and friendly ai in a mod made before the newer commands that make those things much easier. I don't even know how you get bots to aim at enemies in the old con system.

EDIT: 2 years...I guess you weren't just using the old con system, you were using EDuke.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Last edited by DeeperThought; 03-12-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
The Commander

lol, you got to love the shading on that tank in the pics, lol JK

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:19 AM   #5
Reaper_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
... influince some people to fix up the code for Eduke32 (If Applicable) and fix whats missing and add in some models and such if its thats going to be fine with you?
If someone wants to add in models for the enemies, weapons, vehicles and HUDs, and so on, then by all means. The code I am releasing will be totally functional out of the box, almost making it a "mod with no maps". Maps were the reason that AWOL went under, as we could never get any decent mapping talent to stick around. There will be a few maps included with the release, mainly testing maps to showcase the various effects.

As for Hudson's plans, he can do whatever he wants. The code I'm releasing may or may not be the same he has, as there was a point where I was no longer "in the loop". But I'm not going to get into that, it was a long time ago and I really don't care anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
It's impressive that you had vehicles and friendly ai in a mod made before the newer commands that make those things much easier. I don't even know how you get bots to aim at enemies in the old con system.
EDIT: 2 years...I guess you weren't just using the old con system, you were using EDuke.
AI bots could be possible in pre-EDuke code (see SST for example), but they would not be nearly as intelligent as they are with it. Vehicle are probably flat out not possible without EDuke.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_Man View Post
If someone wants to add in models for the enemies, weapons, vehicles and HUDs, and so on, then by all means. The code I am releasing will be totally functional out of the box, almost making it a "mod with no maps". Maps were the reason that AWOL went under, as we could never get any decent mapping talent to stick around. There will be a few maps included with the release, mainly testing maps to showcase the various effects.
Im sure with the release of this there will be maps made for this. It looks to good for what it is for no one not to want to make any maps for it. I know I will be poking around with this one for a while, lol

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
Reaper_Man

Quote:
Im sure with the release of this there will be maps made for this. It looks to good for what it is for no one not to want to make any maps for it. I know I will be poking around with this one for a while, lol
There are a handful of "almost playable" versions of several maps (mostly stuff by AiC), that I might release with everything else.

Many of the major effects (vehicles and Friendly AI) require almost no major construction to get them working, just simply placing the relevant sprites in a map. The vehicles obviously work better in larger areas, and the Apache needs lots of vertical space to be enjoyable.

I really would like to see some user content grow out of this, so if you have ideas, I'd say start mapping now.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #8
The Commander

Well I do have a map Im working on and off for DNA (Duke Nukem Arena) that is quite big and has 2 enemy bases in it. One is in a cliff face. So that might work for it, I will have to see when you release the files, But Im thinking it should

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #9
Reaper_Man

I have no idea how a lot of the code will work in multiplayer because I never tested it in that sort of envrionment, but it should be possible to do so (though I can't even guess on how much of the code would need to be converted).
Old 03-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
DeeperThought

Quote:
I have no idea how a lot of the code will work in multiplayer because I never tested it in that sort of envrionment, but it should be possible to do so (though I can't even guess on how much of the code would need to be converted).
Gee, that sounds familiar

Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
The Commander

If your meaning Multiplayer for like a map like mine and it doesnt seem to work out in the end it wouldnt matter to much because Im sure my map could easy be converted to Single player provding there are plenty of Enemys?

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:35 AM   #12
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
Gee, that sounds familiar

It does? Where from? :S

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #13
Reaper_Man

There are 6 normal enemies, a handful of "dumb" enemies, and 2 bosses with questionable AI. The AI for a few of the enemies doesn't want to work properly and gives an error on startup for some unexplored reason, and honestly I'm not in the mood to make it work. But the majority of the AI is there and for someone who understands how AI works, it should be easy enough to fix.

The AI for the bosses doesn't work and again, can easily be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #14
The Commander

Quote:
There are 6 normal enemies, a handful of "dumb" enemies, and 2 bosses with questionable AI. The AI for a few of the enemies doesn't want to work properly and gives an error on startup for some unexplored reason, and honestly I'm not in the mood to make it work. But the majority of the AI is there and for someone who understands how AI works, it should be easy enough to fix.

The AI for the bosses doesn't work and again, can easily be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing.
I wounder if this would be something Deeper Thought would look at when hes finished with DNWMD,DNA, and Mario Nukem? Geez thats a big plate full he has all ready. He might not, but ive been wrong before...

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #15
Reaper_Man

It's probably just a matter of an incorrect state name or something like that, but like I said, I'm more interested in getting this out than getting it working. All of the faulty code has been commented out, and the documentation explains a lot of the Whats and Whys.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #16
oak man

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooo much!!! It's too bad the mod never got off the ground

>>My flickr page<<
Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 AM   #17
Hudson

Cool Re: AWOL Source Release
Quote:
YEAH!!! JUST SEEN THIS THREAD POSTED! Ive been waiting many many many years to get my hands on a playable version of this. I guess my post in the Decay thread about Hudson Reviving the Mod wont really become that much of a reality but im sure that maybe with this release it might influince some people to fix up the code for Eduke32 (If Applicable) and fix whats missing and add in some models and such if its thats going to be fine with you?
It's something we've been talking about for a long time now.. it's time the original AWOL source was released. Not only so people who have been curious about it over the years can actually play it, but so people can actually see that we weren't talking out of our asses about the vehicles and other features

The mod is basically done, it's just short on maps.. always was. Once the source is released I would hope someone would try to finish it up, but who knows. Expect to see vehicles and AI bots in every Duke mod from here on out after we release this

But seriously, if anyone would like to fix this up with the new EDuke32 enhancements and build off of it adding new features it's completely cool with us. I would actually love to see something like that, i'm sure Reaper would too
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Last edited by Hudson; 03-12-2007 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
Reaper_Man

Glad to have your blessing on this, Hudson.

I don't know about every TC from here on out having vehicles and Friendly AI, but I hope that someone as smart as me can atleast make them better than they are now. They are far from perfect, but they work... and are still the first.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #19
Mblackwell

I have two versions of the source already fixed to work with Eduke32 out of the box. Hudson has them I believe. Some clean up of that would be your best bet.
I want it to be free, I want it to be true

Eduke32.com : The Rejected Applications : The Meadhall of the Comitatus
Old 03-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #20
Sang

The tank looks awesome!

I'll give this a try later on, but it looks quite cool

Of course, I've seen older shots of it with some actual levels, are those included?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #21
MagNet

That looks sick!

Can't wait, also maybe some mixing with DNA and making it all work online and boom we've got a masterpiece
Old 03-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #22
Reaper_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
Of course, I've seen older shots of it with some actual levels, are those included?
Yeah, I am going to include all of the maps that I have (or atleast, the ones that aren't broken). There are a handful of semi-completed maps that AiC made, that I may fix up to make work before release aswell.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #23
Reaper_Man

FYI, the release should be tonight. The CONs are all cleaned up and documented as best as I saw fit, the only thing left is to fix up the messy ART files and get everything to display correctly.

I am going to release a handful of testing maps so that everyone can try out the vehicles and the other interactive stuff, but I am going to wait a few more days to release the map pack. I would like to atleast fix up a few of the playable maps, and that should take a few days to do.

I will make a page either at my personal site or at the CON site soon, with as much information about AWOL and what you need to know to play it (vehicles controls, giving commands to Bots, etc).

I look forward to getting this out. Everyone get ready.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #24
Dopefish7590

cant wait... ive been looking for this kind of tc for a long time now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagNet View Post
Can't wait, also maybe some mixing with DNA and making it all work online and boom we've got a masterpiece
Are you talking about deeprthoughts duke nukem arena?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish7590 View Post
Are you talking about deeprthoughts duke nukem arena?
Apparently he was talking about mixing the two, but there are some good reasons why that won't happen. DNA is a very different beast. Anyway, it will be months before you hear anything new about DNA, so let's enjoy AWOL and not worry about it

Old 03-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #26
someguy2435

I just crapped my pants at this news.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:07 AM   #27
Reaper_Man

The AWOL Project source code... released!

http://www.msleeper.com/

Come get some. Post questions or anything else, I'll be checking back here often.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:34 AM   #28
KillerBudgie

Is it just me, or is the RAR file corrupted?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #29
MagNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBudgie View Post
Is it just me, or is the RAR file corrupted?
It is D=
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #30
Hellbound

Here too
Old 03-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #31
Reaper_Man

Ah sorry about that. I re-uploaded the RAR and it it should work now.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #32
Dopefish7590

sweet
Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #33
Hudson

Smirk Re: AWOL Source Release
There's a small bug in effects.con where it would display the cannon during an airstrike, i'm attaching the fix. Just replace the one you're currently using with this.

Others should be ironed out with the next release (with the maps).
Attached Files
File Type: rar effects.rar (3.7 KB, 8 views)
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Last edited by Hudson; 03-15-2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #34
Dopefish7590

i like how you are able to drive the tank and turn the turret without turning the tank, also like helecopter
Old 03-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #35
The Commander

I have a model of a Humvee and a Helecopter (Blackhawk thoe) and a tiger tank which could be used to replace the sprites of these velcahles. No animations thoe. I will try to replace them and see what it looks like, If its good then you might consider this a re-birth of Awol TC community rebuild, lol. Thanks for that con Hudson.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #36
The Commander

Oh and a Machine gun that could replace the machine gun nests,

Edit:
Also my map I was talking about would be perfect for this, Your in your own base as sorts and you have to cover open ground to get to the enemys base inside a cliff face.

Edit 2:
Does calling for a motar strike when your not out in the open eg. non paralaxed sky or something mean it wont come or it still will and look silly if your inside?

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Last edited by The Commander; 03-15-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #37
C. M. Dratz

Interesting...(!).
Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 AM   #38
The Commander

Ok Ive replaced the machine gun nest so far and it looks quite good, althoe that is a bad shot of it.
Also on another note the gun when you use it isnt quite the same, (Ammo feeds from the other side) but this can be fixed later.

Download From Here:
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25896
Attached Images
File Type: jpg machinegunnest.JPG (144.5 KB, 67 views)

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Last edited by The Commander; 03-16-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #39
Dopefish7590

well reaper man... are you going to release the mappack?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #40
Reaper_Man

It is in the works, fear not. I haven't touched Build in years so it is taking longer than expected to get everything playable.