Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-25-2004, 02:01 PM   #121
jimbob

Re: Decay - An eDuke32 Total Conversion
if you need a map, i could load up build again and see what i can come up with. i dont have any user textures though
Old 12-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #122
Hudson

I can send you a texture pack if you want, just let me know
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 12-25-2004, 02:18 PM   #123
jimbob

go ahead, im in a mapping mood. any preferences in settings?

[edit] send it to my gmail account, i`ll pm you the email adress
Old 12-26-2004, 10:30 PM   #124
gamejunkie

Quote:
Water12356 said:
That thing seems to be baised off the Colt Python. And that gun was used In Vice City. Im trying for guns that arent often used in games, so the game dosnt feel recycled in that area. Also, what other gun has a .50 caliber round? Yes the Desert Eagle. And that gun is WAY over used! That proves my point.
Umm, you're forgetting one gun. The Browning M2 .50 cal, which fires a .50 BMG round. However, there's a big difference between the .50AE round and the .500 S&W Magnum round. The .500 S&W round is a bit more longer than the .50AE, and the .50 BMG outdoes both of them in length.

Anyways, back onto the topic!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #125
Hudson

*Update* (at last lol)

After taking a break from working on Decay, I decided to get back into it and have found new 3D enemy models

Also, Jimbob sent me a sample of the map he's working on and I must say its totally amazing. I can't wait to see the final product.

Just to keep this thread alive, what kind of weapons and items would you like to see in Decay? (Please keep it realistic ) Also if you have any ideas for homages please feel free to post them here.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:16 AM   #126
Blade Nightflame

The idea would be cool (and was used in Wolf3d), if the player is below 20 or 11% health, he can drink gib/giblets or blood for more health.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #127
Water12356

Already posted mine.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 01-21-2005, 04:58 AM   #128
Blade Nightflame

I've NEVER played an EDuke mod, so if you are soon to making a demo, please post it.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:08 PM   #129
Hudson

Back from the dead! (or undead if you will..)

There have been many, many advancements since eDuke32 was first released.. and the current build I have lacks the luster of the new additions the Duke3d Texture/Model upgrade teams have made. Basically the screenshots you have seen from Decay so far now look like shit.. and I really want to create something that's both entertaining and nice to look at. I may contact a few people (unless they read this thread) and ask if I could use a few of their hires textures for some of the ones that aren't custom made for the mod (credit will be given of course). However, I don't know exactly which ones I will be needing right now.

On to the mod.. I have already begun gutting most of what I had, in order to recode and (attempt) to optimize things so they'll be easier to work on in the future if I want to make revisions. The enemies right now are pretty much fodder (after all.. they're zombies) however I wouldn't mind adding a few extras.. at least in the dismemberment department

MBlackwell is no longer on the project, however I can still use what he previously coded, and after I get everything else done (i.e. all the weapons, enemies, textures, sounds, music, and effects) another good friend of mine said he would take care of polishing up what needs polished (and possibly adding a personal touch )

As far as weapons go, the initial list has been adjusted but the favorites will still be present. I'm still researching on what weapons of (the most entertaining) destruction will be included so at a later date i'll probably post another update about it.

Last thing: I know the Duke3d 3d .md2 model project has been.. (well to say "popular" would be an understatement of epic proportions) however I am not going to ask people to take time off for creating/animating models for my mod when Duke3d is where the real attention should be (and rightfully so)

The enemies in Decay will be hires .PNG, and hopefully with many, many death animations.

I just wanted to let you all know that i'm still working on Decay and will hopefully be able to give you guys some more info/screenshots soon. Also, I do very much appreciate all the support you have given me.. it's what has kept me motivated all this time
Old 04-26-2005, 10:30 AM   #130
Water12356

"I live, again!"

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 04-27-2005, 12:32 AM   #131
Steve

I want this TC. Now.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:23 AM   #132
ADM

Cool good work! Can't wait to see it in action
Old 04-27-2005, 02:47 AM   #133
jimbob

btw hudson, did you get my latest version of the map i sent ya?
Old 04-27-2005, 05:55 AM   #134
NetNessie

Need an icon?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #135
Hudson

Quote:
jimbob said:
btw hudson, did you get my latest version of the map i sent ya?
Yeah man, it's looking really good

Very much the mood and atmosphere i'm looking for
Old 04-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #136
Hudson

Quote:
NetNessie said:
Need an icon?
That would be incredibly cool
Old 04-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #137
Hudson

Quote:
Steve said:
I want this TC. Now.
I'm working on it

You'd be suprised exactly how much work you need to put in to make a "real" total conversion.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #138
DissidentRage

I'm trying to work on the map, but never having a lot of time and juggling a couple TCs at a time doesn't really help.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:17 AM   #139
Hudson

Quote:
Roger said:
I'm trying to work on the map, but never having a lot of time and juggling a couple TCs at a time doesn't really help.
Trust me I understand. The main reason why I decided to stick to one TC.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:53 PM   #140
TerminX

Quote:
Hudson said:
The enemies in Decay will be hires .PNG, and hopefully with many, many death animations.
If you do something that ridiculous, I'm not going to be able to help you. Sorry, I cannot/will not work on a mod that will both waste tons of disk space AND not be playable by anyone. Nothing personal of course, but you haven't thought this through in the least:

One 512x512 texture: ~100 kb

Approximately 80 512x512 textures: ~8000 kb per palette per enemy in memory.

Let's assume you have three different enemies, and three different floor palettes (in reality you'll have a lot more of both of these): 8000*3*3 = 72 megs just for three enemies in normal, red tint and blue tint. Oh, you wanted nightvision as well, you say? Now it's 96 megs. Another floor palette? 120 megs. Of course, actual dimensions would likely be something more like 512x1024, so that would really be closer to 180 megs. I don't even want to think about how much video RAM these would take up.

Just find some free human models somewhere. There is absolutely no way that I see that using high res PNGs for enemies will ever work.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #141
Dr. Kill

Quote:
Hudson said:
Another: (Yes I know I need to flip the chainsaw)
mmm... CHAINSAW!!! This mod would look cool with me and Hellbound's gore pack, and my ultra gore game.con I made today for Eduke 32.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:17 AM   #142
Steve

Quote:
Hudson said:
Quote:
Steve said:
I want this TC. Now.
I'm working on it

You'd be suprised exactly how much work you need to put in to make a "real" total conversion.
Good to know
Old 04-28-2005, 02:58 AM   #143
Blade Nightflame

What happened to A.W.O.L?
I liked that TC, it kept my interest.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #144
Hudson

Quote:
TerminX said:
If you do something that ridiculous, I'm not going to be able to help you. Sorry, I cannot/will not work on a mod that will both waste tons of disk space AND not be playable by anyone. Nothing personal of course, but you haven't thought this through in the least
You're right and I understand, I admit hadn't thought enough about it. I'll have to look elsewhere.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #145
Hudson

Quote:
Blade Nightflame said:
What happened to A.W.O.L?
I liked that TC, it kept my interest.
A.W.O.L. had been given to -=Reaper_Man=- to finish up and release.. which as of now he hasn't.

We did have a lot of progress done on it, If possible i'll try and get the last build he has, fix it up and release it as is. Then you guys could at least see what we had done. The vehicles were really cool, as were the bots. The bots had health bars indicating how long they had until they die, and the medic bots would heal others. We actually got them to aim and fire at enemies instead of some random direction near them, and you could use the radioman bot to call in airstrikes..

*sigh* I had so much hope for that mod
Old 04-28-2005, 09:13 AM   #146
gamejunkie

Anyways, how's the progress on Decay? This is one of the mods I'm looking forward to.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #147
Hudson

I made a post a day or so ago, explaining what's been happening.

Right now i'm trying to figure out what to do about the enemies.. I think im leaning towards doublesize 2d renders of 3d models and then sizing them down to normal size in the enemy .con code ... just .PCX, and not .PNG (the weapons will still be .PNG however).
Old 04-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #148
Parkar

Why not models?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #149
Water12356

I believe he said he didnt have the time or the people to do it. *Wink Wink Parkar*

- Nessus
Old 04-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #150
Parkar

Well, what I meant was if you are going to render models to make sprites you will need to do models anyway. If my time was unlimited I would help with models right away but unfortunately that's not the case.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #151
Hudson

Quote:
Parkar said:
Why not models?
I would absolutely love to use models.. however I don't know how to model, and at the moment I don't think anyone has the time to join the team and help out. Maybe after the Duke3d modeling project is completed someone will have the time, but until then i'm going to have to do the next best thing.

Also, does anyone know where I can find information on how the whole model thing works? I have somewhat of an idea, but I would like to know more about it.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:32 PM   #152
Dr. Kill

Quote:
Hudson said:

I would absolutely love to use models.. however I don't know how to model, and at the moment I don't think anyone has the time to join the team and help out. Maybe after the Duke3d modeling project is completed someone will have the time, but until then i'm going to have to do the next best thing.

You might have to wait a while. After the Duke retexturing project is done, everyone will focus on Shadow Warrior. And if winBlood ever gets good enough... well, you know. If I knew how to model, I'd help, but all I know is some con coding, and how to draw great looking gore effects. Let me know if you need gore!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #153
Hudson

Quote:
Dr. Kill said:
You might have to wait a while. After the Duke retexturing project is done, everyone will focus on Shadow Warrior. And if winBlood ever gets good enough... well, you know. If I knew how to model, I'd help, but all I know is some con coding, and how to draw great looking gore effects. Let me know if you need gore!
I think i'll have the gore thing covered but if I need help i'll let you know.. and you're 100% correct about the "After the Duke retexturing project is done, everyone will focus on Shadow Warrior." thing.

So i'm most likely going to have to do the modeling myself (with all the other stuff I have to do with the project.. unlikely), get permission and use ones off the net, or go with my doublesize .PCX plan. It may not look the best, but it beats the way it looks now (or not having any at all).
Old 04-28-2005, 03:46 PM   #154
Dr. Kill

"...go with my doublesize .PCX plan"

You don't need to settle for that. You probably DO need to do the pcx ones, but after that you could do higher res ones in png format. It all depends on how you get your images for the characters though
Old 04-28-2005, 03:55 PM   #155
Hudson

Quote:
Dr. Kill said:
"...go with my doublesize .PCX plan"

You don't need to settle for that. You probably DO need to do the pcx ones, but after that you could do higher res ones in png format. It all depends on how you get your images for the characters though
I realized the .PNG enemy thing was completely unpractical, if you want to know why read TerminX's post.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #156
Dr. Kill

Hmmm... never thought of that. With models you don't have to worry about every frame, so I never thought of that. It would probably chug with every animation frame!!! JFDuke chugs for me now since my video card is a built in pos. I'm lookin at a good one for $120. Hope I get it soon
Old 04-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #157
Roma Loom

I've found a zombie (female) for ya Hudson.
Ask Mean Person for his slut model and "fix" the skin. I may ask him to make a zombie_usual_behaviour animation in this model. There are some sample animating scripts in 3DMax which allow You to make almost any animation sequence in a matter of minutes. You can also make several zombies from one model by dragging verteces, ripping body parts off the model and making several skins from the one by "tweaking" it. If You are interested I'm gonna talk about it to Mean Person via ICQ... In fact I'm already talking with him... but not about zombies - about me unable to finish HUD RPG and Freezer due to terrific lack of time.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 837309-Hudson_low.gif (14.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 04-29-2005, 02:38 AM   #158
NetNessie

Just messing around, practicing really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 837503-decay_draft1_revision2.jpg (44.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #159
Hudson

Quote:
Roma Loom said:
I've found a zombie (female) for ya Hudson.
Ask Mean Person for his slut model and "fix" the skin. I may ask him to make a zombie_usual_behaviour animation in this model. There are some sample animating scripts in 3DMax which allow You to make almost any animation sequence in a matter of minutes. You can also make several zombies from one model by dragging verteces, ripping body parts off the model and making several skins from the one by "tweaking" it. If You are interested I'm gonna talk about it to Mean Person via ICQ... In fact I'm already talking with him... but not about zombies - about me unable to finish HUD RPG and Freezer due to terrific lack of time.
That would rock man

Talk to him about it if you can, I don't quite know how to put the models into the game though (which is why I asked about it in an above post)

Awesomeness
Old 04-29-2005, 03:32 PM   #160
Hudson

Quote:
NetNessie said:
Just messing around, practicing really.
Those look great! Maybe take the one on the top right and make it a crosshair with a zombie head in the middle