Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Popular Media Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Orochi Avlis

Transformers 20th Aniversary
I'm picking up the DVD tomorrow.
Is anybody else planning on picking it up?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Wamplet

Re: Transformers 20th Aniversary
What is it exactly?
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 11-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
Karthik
What's the extras?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
Tetsuro

http://www.transformersthemoviedvd.com/

I'm going to wait for the Metrodome's UK release to see if it contains everything in Sony's release too, because it WILL contain Scramble City with original audio and Zone.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:34 AM   #5
wayskobfssae

OMG it's in widescreen?

After getting the first DvD I had to wonder if the original film was done in 4x3. Worth it just for that IMO.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Tetsuro

Well it's hard to say how it is on DVD, but...

I think it was at BotCon where they showed pieces of the remastered version, and it was framed incorrectly. You see, like many movies of the 80's, Transformers was cropped to both widescreen AND fullscreen versions; a little at the top and bottom for widescreen, and a little on the sides for fullscreen. Now, the problem is that the remastered widescreen version seems to be cropped from the fullscreen version, meaning it's cropped on ALL sides.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
Orochi Avlis

Picked it up yesterday, but it came with a scratch and my DVD player has a hell of a time trying to read it. Or when it does pick it up, it stutters a lot.
Going to bring it back today and hopefully get a replacement.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
DarthGizman1

Does it have the original scene played in theaters where HotRod kicks Megatrons ass after Optimus is shot down?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #9
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthGizman1 View Post
Does it have the original scene played in theaters where HotRod kicks Megatrons ass after Optimus is shot down?
... he did? You referring to where Megatron pulls out the blaster and Hotrod jumps him (where he only succeeded in being used as a shield by Megatron)? Or something else?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
Jokke_r

nerds
Old 11-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #11
wayskobfssae

Grown-up.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
Destroyer
hmm, I think I will rent it from blockbuster.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
Tetsuro

No wayskobfssae, DarthGizman1 is pulling your leg.

And on a completely unrelated note, I just got the reissue Powermaster Optimus Prime. Yay!

Oh, and you're no real TF fan until you recognize my avatar.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:41 AM   #14
DOSGuy

It looks like some melted Optimus Prime and a Gundam Wing character together. Personally, I don't care for it.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:45 AM   #15
Tetsuro

I don't see any Gundam Wing there. But then, any Gundam Wing element pales in comparison to this guy.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
DOSGuy

If not Gundam Wing, then definitely Samurai Pizza Cats.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #17
Wamplet

Thumbs up Re: Transformers 20th Aniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSGuy View Post
It looks like some melted Optimus Prime and a Gundam Wing character together. Personally, I don't care for it.
I agree with this. I prefer the original look from the cartoons. It just doesn't look right for some reason. Maybe it's just the style.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 AM   #18
Tetsuro

Nevermind. _
Old 12-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #19
WarHammer

It's Star Convoy from Battlestars: The Return of Convoy. Even if i didn't recognize him right away, the image is named star_convoy.jpg

As far as Gundam and Transformers goes, there is, perhaps, more than just a passing resemblance. I'm not the only one who sees it either. I've seen more than a few Transformers kit-bashes using parts or even nearly whole bodies from Gundam model kits and Gundam Mobile Suit in Action figures.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 AM   #20
Tetsuro

Who needs kitbashes? Star Saber looks like he SHOULD be in Gundam Wing instead, if it wasn't for those huge Autobot logos on his shoulders.

(And for the uninformed, Convoy is the Japanese name of Optimus Prime; this is because in the original Diaclone toyline, from which many Transformers originate from, the toy was already called Convoy.)
Old 12-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #21
DOSGuy

I just saw TF: 20th Anniversary at Wal-Mart for $20. The front changes from a picture of Optimus Prime and the original Transformers to Rodimus Prime and the new Transformers when you change the viewing angle. Looks nice.

As for Convoy, I knew about that. Not nearly as cool as Optimus Prime, is it? Also, cool find of the Gundam Optimus Prime. I definitely think that guy and Star Convoy were separated at birth.
Last edited by DOSGuy; 12-02-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #22
Tetsuro

I got the reissue Star Convoy toy. I still see nothing common with Gundams. (And no, that crest on his forehead ain't enough)

And I just got Mastepiece Convoy with trailer, too.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #23
DOSGuy

The crest on his head and chest remind me of a Gundam head. It's also kind of like the armor from the Samurai Pizza Cats.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #24
Tetsuro

And this, Gentlemen, is why I prefer Rodimus Prime to Optimus:

Old 12-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #25
wayskobfssae

Guess someone learned a lesson from the last time something like that happened
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #26
Patrick102076
I got my copy of this DVD. I only found one of the easter eggs. Anyone found any others?
BTW, TETSURO I remember that issue! Had a whole pile of them.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #27
DOSGuy

Got my copy last week. Awesome!

I don't think I've ever been so impressed by the menu of any DVD. The theme song from the movie blasts away as Autobots and Decepticons materialize on either side of the screen. In the Bonus Features section, the same thing continues, but with the original theme song from the show. There's a copy of Scramble City, the Japan-only episode that bridges the gap between the pre and post-movie generations. I enjoyed the fight with multiple combiners, and seeing them rearrange their configuration during the battle. I just wish there was an option to watch the episode subtitled (or dubbed) instead of the audio commentary. They give you the gist of what's going on, but they're not translating the dialog.

Lots of great nostalgia stuff, like advertisements for the toys, the theatrical trailer, and very informative interviews. The option to watch in full screen or widescreen is great for those who have a preference. And the whole thing was less than $20! I highly recommend this DVD.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #28
Tetsuro

If you're really that interest in Scramble City, a lot of Transformers websites have it up for download, with subtitles. Metrodome will release a new edition of the movie on DVD next year, and it will contain Scramble City AND Zone with original audio and subtitles, but until then, there seems to be no legal barrage keeping those sites from keeping the episodes up.

I think SC is a heap of crap though, at least compared to the movie: not least for ending in a cliffhanger and having no second part!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:06 AM   #29
DOSGuy

I just watched a dubbed version of Scramble City with really bad voice acting. It was short, but entertaining. I also watched Scramble City Toys, which was interesting until they started listing the prices on the screen, signaling that the cliffhanger would not be resolved, but thank you for watching our toy commercial. At any rate, an interesting bit of Transformicana that you couldn't get in our hemisphere. I think it was worth including on the DVD for the fact that it introduced some of the new characters in the Japanese continuity.

The Easter Eggs are a nice touch, especially the one hidden inside the movie instead of the menu screens. I'm very happy with my purchase.