Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Popular Media Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
Higher Game
Nothing Else Matters, melodic death metal style!
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...20DCCB5390D553

It's interesting how the clean vocals come in at the end, proving that death metal singers ARE technically skilled, but choose to growl instead when it supports the music.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Jokke_r

Re: Nothing Else Matters, melodic death metal style!
hate that one synth or whatever instrument they use. HATE IT ruins the song, vocals are good but music is crap
Old 11-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
phreak
The recording quality is particularly... flat?

Musically, it's... not interesting at all. Here's why:

It is very non-atmospheric. As in, the synth that starts off, sounds artificially produced, not something organic, but at the same time not even industrial, just like some very poor rendition of what stars would sound like. The guitar riffs are predictable, and not heavy at all, hence they don't anything to the atmosphere of the piece. The drums are laughably predictable, monorhythmic, which the guitars follow. I can't hear a bass really. The vocals, are weak, mostly because they are a single low-frequency and there really is no emotion whatsoever. Also, the voice has constantly the same timbre, that is the same register, which kinda defies the purpose of growling for me. The only good parts in the song are the parts that directly copy metallica's instrumentation, that is, the end. Same goes for the end vocals, they are better not because they're clearer, but because they vary in tone.

In short, I find that the whole piece lacks intensity.

Higher Game, for me good black metal are Bergtratt and Nattens Madrigal of Ulver's, and to some extent Satyricon's Rebel Extravaganza, and Burzum's stuff. That's as far as my black metal sensibilities go. Also, note that Ulver, specifically, their singer can perform anything from a Gregoryan Church Chant to incredibly intense shrieks and growls, and a lot of just weird stuff.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
jimbob

hahaha, that band is from my hometown, seen them play it live a couple of times. and they are a good band.

[edit]
homepage with some more music

http://www.solarisis.nl/

hmm, i think they actually disbanded some time ago, the MP3 files dont seem to work anymore.
they could atleast have some notification on thier site about it though
Last edited by jimbob; 11-13-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
Higher Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak View Post
Higher Game, for me good black metal are Bergtratt and Nattens Madrigal of Ulver's, and to some extent Satyricon's Rebel Extravaganza, and Burzum's stuff. That's as far as my black metal sensibilities go. Also, note that Ulver, specifically, their singer can perform anything from a Gregoryan Church Chant to incredibly intense shrieks and growls, and a lot of just weird stuff.
Satyricon is mostly worthless. Only the first album is decent (not great), and Rebel Extravaganza sucked when I heard it a while ago. Only the first 3 Ulver albums are really good, but they simply declined after them, and haven't come back since. Things just don't look good for them. Burzum's first 4 are really good, and the others were terrible because they were recorded in prison on a cheap synth. Burzum might still have great artistic abilities, but he is simply going to be kept in prison for the rest of his life, for obvious reasons.

I recommend Graveland, Bathory, and Darkthrone as far as black metal goes. I'm not crazy about the overly melodic branch of the genre.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
phreak
Bah, I worded that wrong. Those are black metal albums I have in my possesion and have listened to. Burzum and Ulver are the ones that I like (in fact I have everything Ulver has made, and I would disagree they went into a decline, but that's a matter of taste and sensibilities(PM discussion perhaps?)). Burzum is great, I enjoy the few albums I have; Satyricon, as I said, I like partially.

BTW, I hope you don't consider Ulver's Kveldssanger black metal, cause that's a STREEEEETCH.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Hellbound

Acually Varg Vikerness will be relased in 2016, so he'll be there not to the end of his life

About the Satyricon, did ya heard Nemesis Divina? I really hate everything after this but ND is just the best.

Funny that you like Graveland, it's the king of NSBM here in Poland... but for me Rob Darken is just a jerk. He is the kind of man which is wearing some fake armour and run to forest to take some photos. It' as funny as christ

If you are intrested in polish black metal, check out such bands as Besatt, Infernal War or even Iperyt (it's not black metal, just a mix of industrial/black/death), but hell no Graveland. It's a crap
Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Higher Game
I think it's a stretch that Venom, a 4th rate Motorhead clone, and Mercyful Fate, a classic heavy metal band, are considered black metal. The genre is too huge for its own good. Ulver certainly isn't an orthodox black metal band, since they lean very heavily towards folk metal, but much of their worldview and attitude is black metal.

Varg is a Nazi and is absolutely insane. They will find some way to keep him in prison. Rob Darken is also a Nazi nut, but at least he hasn't gone church burning and murdering yet; his armor and forest pictures are more amusing than anything else. Graveland has a lot of dud records and a lot of crap, but Thousand Swords and Dawn of Iron Blades are amazing, even better than Bathory at times!

I'll reevaluate Satyricon sometime, and I'll check out the bands you recommended.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
Jokke_r

Well black metal is just lame and gay. Deathmetal for the win!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
John

The difference being...?

Let not mankind bogart love.
[A pessimist is what an optimist defines as a realist.]
Old 11-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
phreak
death metal's black metal's emo cousin...
Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The difference being...?
http://www.last.fm/music/Death/_/Story+to+Tell Death metal

http://www.last.fm/music/Immortal/_/Pure+Holocaust Black metal

Difference is pretty obvious...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #13
Opus131

Quote:
The difference being...?
The same difference between emo and goth.

Ok, i kid.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #14
Higher Game
Later Death is extremely progressive for death metal standards, so it's not an ideal example. Suffocation is a good example of modern death metal, and early Death, Possessed, and Master are old school death. As for black metal, the early stuff was an ideology instead of a specific sound, and the sound really picked up with the 2nd wave Norweigian bands like Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem, etc.

Melodic death metal is either loved or hated, so don't judge all of death metal based on it. I find the higher pitched growls annoying, and I think much of the old school death vocals are too punkish. It's the modern grunt that I like the most, but it just depends on taste.

Modern death metal (excluding br00tal shit) is overwhelmingly technical; it's really like an advanced form of thrash metal. Black metal is more Romantic and experimental. Much of the melodic death metal is just power metal for guys who want to think they aren't geeks.

Black metal is MUCH more emo than death metal.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
Lethe

There is no such thing as melodic death metal. There can only be melodic metal with harsh vocals. Dark Tranquillity, In Flames and similar bands are melodic metal, but not death metal. Only thing that those bands share with death metal is vocals. Song structures and style of playing is very much different....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Game View Post
Later Death is extremely progressive for death metal standards, so it's not an ideal example.
I was aware of that, but when you want to present the genre to the person with little experience in that style of music, you should give them more straight forward example, and catchier then other stuff in the genre cose people tend to put more brutal bands from the genre in the same bag with other "metal crap" simply cose of the fact that it is impossible to understand such music in few listens. I picked newer Death, cose it is perfect mix of old school, progressive, and melody which tend to attract newcomers to the genre.

Quote:
Modern death metal (excluding br00tal shit) is overwhelmingly technical;
Well, majority of technical death metal bands are brutal...

PS. I thought you were sarcastic when you said that the guy from that band you posted knows how to sing "clean". He really sucks IMO
Last edited by Lethe; 11-15-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #16
Higher Game
I thought he did fine on those last few lines at the end. He's certainly better than Hetfield.

As for Death, the later stuff is very unorthodox, progressive, and complex. Even though the production is very nice and the vocals aren't bullfrogged, it's still too much for most people to handle. Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse are both better examples of more conventional, modern, textbook death metal, and they're easier to digest, at least when one gets past the vocals. Plus, besides being catchy as hell, Cannibal Corpse was in an Ace Ventura movie, so they have that to their advantage.

Yes, most death metal bands are br00tal because it's easy to play that way, and most of them suck. The genre itself is defined by its complexity beyond thrash metal, even though it has its fair share of mediocre groove bands, but they don't count.

I'll admit that the melodic death label is controversial, but calling it melodic metal is too general, and Gothenburg metal is too specific and incorrect for many bands. Maybe melodic extreme metal would do, since it's really not true death metal, but it's not mainstream, either.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:25 PM   #17
Llama Gibbz

Why would you do a cover of a band that sold out before when everyone thinks they sold out.?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:26 AM   #18
Lethe

Quote:
I thought he did fine on those last few lines at the end. He's certainly better than Hetfield.

As for Death, the later stuff is very unorthodox, progressive, and complex. Even though the production is very nice and the vocals aren't bullfrogged, it's still too much for most people to handle. Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse are both better examples of more conventional, modern, textbook death metal, and they're easier to digest
I was playing both Suffocation and Death, and believe Suffocation eats Death when it comes to complexity. I would go that far to say that Suffocation eats everything on the scene when it comes to complexity...well, maybe not Necrophagist. Death is not so hard to play really...
Old 11-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #19
John

Suffocation..Death....Necrophagist...Cannibal Corpse.....Do any of these guys have happy thoughts?

(I kid ofcourse, I actually own afew cannibal corpse and six feet under CDs)

Let not mankind bogart love.
[A pessimist is what an optimist defines as a realist.]
Old 11-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #20
Lethe

Quote:
Suffocation..Death....Necrophagist...Cannibal Corpse.....Do any of these guys have happy thoughts?

(I kid ofcourse, I actually own afew cannibal corpse and six feet under CDs)
They are actually very humoruos bunch, they often make parodies of themselves, don't take them seriously...especially Cannibal Corpse (Btw. Jim Carrey is their big fan ) As for Death, they are a pretty serious band, with very quality and original lyrics which have nothing with "depressed rebel" metal clishes...

PS. Necrophagist name is a joke...lots of newer death metal bands with such names are just kidding and making parodies of genre's stereotypes...
Last edited by Lethe; 11-16-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
Kev_Boy

Which can sometimes give them a bad wrap, especially coupled when people keep refering to their old albums. I can think of Dying Fetus for example.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #22
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_Boy View Post
Which can sometimes give them a bad wrap, especially coupled when people keep refering to their old albums. I can think of Dying Fetus for example.
Even better..Anal ****, well not really death, more of a grindcore
Old 11-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #23
Hellbound

LOL, nice discussion takes place here!

About Grindcore, all grindcore names are the most funny: "Cock n' Ball Torture", Cliteater, Anal Bleeding, Pyorrhoea (not really grind, rather death, especially the new pyo).

Anyway, about technical playing in brootal bands - I think that CC or Gored or Disgorge or Deamon and many many others kills everything with their technical abilities (except Jazzmans), especialy drummers (they kill even Jazzmans - search for some videos of Nile drummer playing).

And that the Black Metal is romantic is bullshit - If you think about bands such like (crappy) Dimmu Borgir or Limbonic Art as about black metal, you're making a big big mistake. The true black metal like old Mayhem, Darkthrone, Enthroned, Besatt shall be raw, brutal and sick. Even not the raw black metal bands like Belphegor (aut) or Infernal War (pl) or Setherial are far far from being romantic (Belphegor lyrics: "Hail mother mary, perform fellatio! Relligious but fukked bitch!" - It's romantic?)... Or would you call Marduk's album "Panzer Division Marduk" or Dark Throne's "Panzerfaust" a ROMANTIC?

I don't think so!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #24
Higher Game
You don't understand the term Romantic (notice the capital R). It describes a way of seeing things, not merely love. The word has just been abused by the lower class; that's all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanticism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_nationalism
Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #25
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Pyorrhoea
Man, that band kicks some serious ass with their new album "The Eleventh: Thou Shoult Be My Slave". The first song "Rules of slavery" is one of the most andrenaline pumping songs I ever heard.
Last edited by Lethe; 11-21-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:49 PM   #26
Hellbound

Hahaha, funny Lethe, I think that did that I cannot now describe Pyo as one of my favourite bands, because it just sucks! If you know "Desire For Torment", you should understand what I was used to with this band. DFT was total death-grind, technical slaughter with an atmosphere as nowere else and The Eleventh... is starting to sound like a new Vader or new Behemoth (I mean, like clean shit for pink girls). Wheew, if you don't know DFT, just get it. It's one of the most crushing death metal albums IMHO.

And to Higher Game: I really know what "Romantic" means (I'm a humanist ) and I'm not chainging my opinion. I think that antichristian and satanic lyrics or something about anti-christian-judeo war or about cock of satan, hasn't anything to do with Romanticism. And those black metal guys are not the types of unhappy lovers, or people who worship every part of nature (Pagan black metal of course worship this but it's treated as personification of gods, not seeing the beautyfulness of nature), and I think that black metal lyrics are rather non-poethical (och, maybe Dissection) themed shitload of godless antihuman evil
Old 11-22-2006, 05:30 AM   #27
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Hahaha, funny Lethe, I think that did that I cannot now describe Pyo as one of my favourite bands, because it just sucks! If you know "Desire For Torment", you should understand what I was used to with this band. DFT was total death-grind, technical slaughter with an atmosphere as nowere else and The Eleventh... is starting to sound like a new Vader or new Behemoth
Well, I really liked that album, better than DFT. Note that I also like New Behemoth and Vader... Maybe it is because of the fact that I like Death metal more than Grindcore...and their last album is leaning more towards the first one... Btw, that song "rules of slavery" can't bore me even after few months of intense listening to it...rare songs do it for me...
Last edited by Lethe; 11-22-2006 at 05:33 AM.