Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Software Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Jeff

Advanced Explorer program?
I was looking for something in Windows Explorer, but I can't seem to find out how to do it. Basically what I want to do is find out when something was last accessed. Now when I click on a folder and say that I want to find out when it was last accessed, it allows me to do that, however the date is way off.

For example. When I right click on some folder called The Terminator, it shows that it was created on April 30th at 4:59 PM. It was modified at the same time. However, it was last accessed on April 30th which is obviously a lie because I just watched it. Should say it was last accessed about 2 hours ago. Which is May 11th. This also goes for all other folders on that drive.

Basically what I'm looking for is some file managing program that is a little more accurate date wise than Windows Explorer so I can tell accurately when a file or folder was last accessed or otherwise.
Last edited by Jeff; 05-11-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Wellenreiter

Re: Advanced Explorer program?
Huh? I think you may have changed a setting in your registry, deliberately or not. Some "tweaking" programs do that.

NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate
Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
Jeff

Seems to work in explorer although when I right click on a folder and go properties it still looks like the following after the registry edit:

As you can see it only states when it was created and not all the other things such as modified, accessed and so on.

Although I did restart my system and the dates on the folder seem accurate.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
Wellenreiter

Was it disabled or enabled in the first place?

So now there are two problems, right? One is, that the access time wasn't right, which should be fixed by reenabling "last access update", the other is, that explorer only shows the "created" date?

There is a workaround for the second problem: In the parent folder, set view to "Detailed"
(don't know the exact english term) and enable the options you need.

Pic is in german, but I guess you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Jeff

It was disabled. After I enabled it, I got it to work. However...

Says when they were last modified and such, but I'm not sure how to say this. I wonder if there was a way to find out when it was last played? I assume that's last accessed, but it doesn't add up though. Some of these say that I last accessed them on May 12th for example, but with The Terminator I know I last played the movie on the 11th. I guess Windows thinks that last accessed and last played are two different things. Some of these movies I haven't accessed since I put them on my hard drive which would be back in March or so. However, it says I accessed them today.
Last edited by Jeff; 05-12-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Wellenreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I wonder if there was a way to find out when it was last played?
I don't think there is. There is created, modified, and last accessed.
Your Antivirus will access all files in a folder when you open it, thus changing all the timestamps of "last accessed". Also, even if you don't have a virus scanner, thumbnail mode will probably change these timestamps, while refreshing the thumbnails.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Theonewayman

ExplorerXP it even as the ability to see hidden files, when i add a virus that disabled the ability in windows to unhide hidden files it helped me see them and even locate the virus.